PDA

View Full Version : Teryy Bowden says college football playoffs are inevitable.

OklahomaSooners
4/3/2007, 02:51 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaf/news;_ylt=Ah5mz_3ZATEfMQNIm53pRzAcvrYF?slug=tb-playoffs033007&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Discuss

Fraggle145
4/3/2007, 03:05 AM
Thats how I would want it. 4 teams. Probably dont need anymore.

This makes sure that if there are 3 undefeateds they all get a chance, but still keeps the regular season extremely valuable, unlike the pros or college bball.

I think that the one loss teams will whine, but the deal is if you wouldnt have lost you wouldnt be whining.

Octavian
4/3/2007, 03:28 AM
I'm not too worried about Terry's "guaran-dadgum-tee," supported by a slew of of "trust me's," and "Don't think for a minute's."

SoonerRoads
4/3/2007, 05:10 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaf/news;_ylt=Ah5mz_3ZATEfMQNIm53pRzAcvrYF?slug=tb-playoffs033007&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Discuss

It's all about money and that simply means that a full blown play-off system will eventually occur. Higher revenues will drive the whole thing.

Just my take.

CrimsonFaithful
4/3/2007, 07:46 AM
Were gonna win no matter what, so it doesn't matter.

MichiganSooner
4/3/2007, 08:06 AM
One of the presidents' arguments against a playoff is that it would take players out of the classroom at the end of the semester. First, a playoff could be scheduled around finals and prep for the same. But an examply of fallacy of this excuse is simply that the recent basketball tournament has taken the team members out the classroom and they let that be OK. The mens national basketball finals started at 9 PM in Atlanta. The women's final is played on Tuesday. Regular season basketball games are played on "school nights" sometimes halfway across the nation. Why do university presidents get so concerned about football playoffs interferring with classwork as the games are usually on Saturday, and not the least bit concerned about the scheduling of other sports?

usmc-sooner
4/3/2007, 09:01 AM
the system is fine, why change it?

Oldnslo
4/3/2007, 09:08 AM
If Terry Bowden knew what college presidents might do, he'd still be coaching.

CobraKai
4/3/2007, 09:19 AM
I think Terry Bowden is an a$$hat, but I agree with him on this one.

MojoRisen
4/3/2007, 09:56 AM
BOSIE would have still been screwed last year.

Michigan Ohio St Florida and USC

TheHumanAlphabet
4/3/2007, 09:58 AM
Yeah, let's listen to a guy that porks the daughter of a rich donor he has employed as his secretary...

poke4christ
4/3/2007, 10:29 AM
I heard on the radio that the SEC was going to come out as the first conference to officially request and back an 8-team playoff. If that happens, and other conferences get on board, it might just speed up the time table. I was thinking it would be something like this:

4-team playoff: reorganizing in 2010
8-team: 5-10 more years
12-team: around 15 years
16-team: around 20 years

I really believe it's going to happen, its just a matter of when. Also, when the NCAA see's how much money their making, they will expand it. However, if there are conferences backing it and more people behind it, we just might get a speed up of that last time line, and maybe, just maybe, we might get an 8-team playoff in 2010. However, that might be too much to ask. I really believe that a playoff and proper backing of the National Title game would make this event bigger then the super bowl. The Tourney is already bigger then the NBA playoffs.

OSUAggie
4/3/2007, 10:45 AM
The SEC is ridiculous for doing this. They are the ones that have all of their "traditions" down South and now they want to rid the college football landscape of perhaps its most sacred of traditions, the bowl games. All of this because they have convinced themselves they play in the super-hardestest conference God ever invented and there is no way that a team could possibly go undefeated down there, otherwise they'd win every dadgum title ever invented for college football. :rolleyes:

I hope none of the other conferences fall in line with them.

Fraggle145
4/3/2007, 11:07 AM
I heard on the radio that the SEC was going to come out as the first conference to officially request and back an 8-team playoff. If that happens, and other conferences get on board, it might just speed up the time table. I was thinking it would be something like this:

4-team playoff: reorganizing in 2010
8-team: 5-10 more years
12-team: around 15 years
16-team: around 20 years

I really believe it's going to happen, its just a matter of when. Also, when the NCAA see's how much money their making, they will expand it. However, if there are conferences backing it and more people behind it, we just might get a speed up of that last time line, and maybe, just maybe, we might get an 8-team playoff in 2010. However, that might be too much to ask. I really believe that a playoff and proper backing of the National Title game would make this event bigger then the super bowl. The Tourney is already bigger then the NBA playoffs.

Doesnt matter for you... your team will never make it. and an 8 team play off would suck. we need the bowl tradition and the importance of the regular season, that is what sets college football apart.

OklahomaTuba
4/3/2007, 01:21 PM
Just rename the playoff games as bowls if that is so important.

Personally, I think the bowls are f'n stupid.

silverwheels
4/3/2007, 01:39 PM
One of the presidents' arguments against a playoff is that it would take players out of the classroom at the end of the semester. First, a playoff could be scheduled around finals and prep for the same. But an examply of fallacy of this excuse is simply that the recent basketball tournament has taken the team members out the classroom and they let that be OK. The mens national basketball finals started at 9 PM in Atlanta. The women's final is played on Tuesday. Regular season basketball games are played on "school nights" sometimes halfway across the nation. Why do university presidents get so concerned about football playoffs interferring with classwork as the games are usually on Saturday, and not the least bit concerned about the scheduling of other sports?

It's just a cop-out by the presidents. The lower divisions do it, including some pretty highly-ranked universities, so that's not a valid reason. Also, a lot of spring sports have tournaments during second semester finals. Doesn't seem to affect them that much.

Just the higher-ups reaching, that's all.

Seamus
4/3/2007, 01:43 PM
Not to threadjack, but years ago there was a picture of Terruh Bowden drunk as hell trying to mack on this young coed. I would love to see that photo again, if anyone has it.

As for the playoffs, I'm down with a 4- to 8-team field. The major bowls would rotate as they do now. For instance, the Rose could be the title game, the Fiesta and Orange could be the semifinals, and the Sugar and Cotton (in JerryWorld) could be the opening round, along with 2 other bowls in nice locales (Citrus, Holiday?).

batonrougesooner
4/3/2007, 01:56 PM
I think a playoff shouldn't be any bigger than eight teams. I think more risks diluting the regular season.

OSUAggie
4/3/2007, 02:04 PM
heh... and it's Teryy, not Terry.

Fraggle145
4/3/2007, 02:30 PM
I'm amazed Terry Bowden doesn't have a major network analyst position. He has the skills and insight.
you forgot the ;)

sitzpinkler
4/3/2007, 03:10 PM
The SEC is ridiculous for doing this. They are the ones that have all of their "traditions" down South and now they want to rid the college football landscape of perhaps its most sacred of traditions, the bowl games. All of this because they have convinced themselves they play in the super-hardestest conference God ever invented and there is no way that a team could possibly go undefeated down there, otherwise they'd win every dadgum title ever invented for college football. :rolleyes:

you're just bitter because you know your team will never make it

the way it is now, you at least get a tiny little bit of recognition with the crappy bowl games you do make it to, but with a playoff in place, it's just another thing your school will miss out on and another painful reminder of OSU's failure as a football program

poor aggie

OSUAggie
4/3/2007, 03:27 PM
you're just bitter because you know your team will never make it

the way it is now, you at least get a tiny little bit of recognition with the crappy bowl games you do make it to, but with a playoff in place, it's just another thing your school will miss out on and another painful reminder of OSU's failure as a football program

poor aggie

Actually, I'm bitter because I enjoy the bowl system, as do most people that give a **** about the history of college football. It has nothing to do with OSU's success or lack thereof. The fact that I’m an OSU alumnus doesn’t necessarily mean that everything I think is based on how Oklahoma State does in that specific realm.

sitzpinkler
4/3/2007, 03:50 PM
Actually, I'm bitter because I enjoy the bowl system, as do most people that give a **** about the history of college football. It has nothing to do with OSU's success or lack thereof. The fact that I’m an OSU alumnus doesn’t necessarily mean that everything I think is based on how Oklahoma State does in that specific realm.

and what does OSU have to do with the history of college football? ;)

SteelClip49
4/3/2007, 04:59 PM
Oklahoma State does have some history, you gotta give them that, just not a stadium that is of any historical significance.

OSUAggie
4/3/2007, 05:13 PM
Oklahoma State does have some history, you gotta give them that, just not a stadium that is of any historical significance.

Oldest stadium in the Big XII. Terror Dome, bitches. ;)

soonervegas
4/3/2007, 05:16 PM
As a college football "fan" I would be really disappointed in anything bigger than a 4 team playoff. If you go to 8 teams or higher all of the sudden you have teams resting players in their final regular season game. We are on a slippery slope here.....

goingoneight
4/3/2007, 07:54 PM
the system is fine, why change it?
That's not what LSU and Oklahoma were saying after they got screwed last fall againt Oregon anfd Auburn.

SoonerRoads
4/3/2007, 08:00 PM

You could have a play off system AND keep the bowl traditions in place. You just have to utilize the bowls within the play-off system and then create the "Super Bowl" of college football as the championship game about mid January or so.

Just my take.

goingoneight
4/3/2007, 08:03 PM
Why not just screw playing OOC games, play everyone in your conference. Conference Champs use the bowl games as playoff venues. There, you have the BOWL CHAMPIONSHIP SERIES.

You have anywhere between 10-13 games in the regular season, mediocrity is not rewarded (aka Independence Fried Chicken Bowl), the strongest conference shows in the end-all by the National Champion.

Another thing I wish would happen is the awards and All-America honors to be named after the Natty Champeenship. You never know who might just explode over the course of a playoff system against quality teams who are desperate to beat them. No more controversy as to who belongs on the big stage, either.

usmc-sooner
4/3/2007, 08:07 PM
That's not what LSU and Oklahoma were saying after they got screwed last fall againt Oregon anfd Auburn.

gimme a break we got beat by BSU, and you can't really argue against the system by saying the ref's dicked up the calls, they could screw them up in a playoff.

Point is the BCS does the best job of putting the 2 best and most deserving teams together to play for the title. Rarely do the 2 best teams ever play for a championship in playoffs. It hardly ever happens in the NFL, NBA, or MLB or NCAA basketball.

The only thing a playoff or tournament works for determining a NC is individual sports but even there the results are flawed.

poke4christ
4/3/2007, 08:36 PM
I totally disagree about using the bowls as the playoff games. It seems logical until you consider one things. Who's going to go to those games? How many of you could afford (or simply justify) going to three straight bowl games. It's hard enough for fans to go to one sometimes. Even the schools with the strongest fan support (and deepest pockets) like UT, tOSU, and Tenn would struggle to do this. You could definitly do it with the national title game and could maybe do it with the semi-final matchups, but if you get beyond that you just get too many games for fans to afford. Realisticly, an 8-team playoff or more would require home games given to the higher seeds. Otherwise, these some of these playoff games would be doomed to half-empty stadiums.

goingoneight
4/3/2007, 09:30 PM
gimme a break we got beat by BSU, and you can't really argue against the system by saying the ref's dicked up the calls, they could screw them up in a playoff.

Point is the BCS does the best job of putting the 2 best and most deserving teams together to play for the title. Rarely do the 2 best teams ever play for a championship in playoffs. It hardly ever happens in the NFL, NBA, or MLB or NCAA basketball.

The only thing a playoff or tournament works for determining a NC is individual sports but even there the results are flawed.

Modern BCS argument:
You're kinda right... but if OU entered the MNC game as a one-loss team and beat the clearly overrated and undeserving Ohio State Suckeyes, OU'd be National Champs. While Florida played a good game, they had just as much of a chance of winning as anyone in the top 15 against tOSU.

Playoff argument:
Thing is, if college football went to a conference champs only format in the BCS playoff system, there would be no George Mason A&M State Tech winning out. A Boise State might have made it pretty far, but I'll bet a better defense would have knocked them off, too.

I don't want to see some gay 64 team playoff either. Basketball's system is horrid, and the only reason it's so popular is because anyone and everyone can make t-shirts saying they got into the tourney within the last five years and be satisfied with mediocrity. kind of like the people who go around bragging about beating a coachless Alabama in an embarassing bowl game and calling themselves "[insert sponsor name here] Fried Chicken Bowl CHAMPIONS!!!" Football is a big boys' sport, you play to win every damn Saturday, and every damn Saturday counts as it currently does, but a screw job like Oregon doesn't bone you out of a chance to show up the media dolls like Ohio State was in 2006. You win your conference title, then there you have it... you have made an argument that you belong.

Oldnslo
4/3/2007, 09:40 PM
I totally disagree about using the bowls as the playoff games. It seems logical until you consider one things. Who's going to go to those games? How many of you could afford (or simply justify) going to three straight bowl games. It's hard enough for fans to go to one sometimes. Even the schools with the strongest fan support (and deepest pockets) like UT, tOSU, and Tenn would struggle to do this. You could definitly do it with the national title game and could maybe do it with the semi-final matchups, but if you get beyond that you just get too many games for fans to afford. Realisticly, an 8-team playoff or more would require home games given to the higher seeds. Otherwise, these some of these playoff games would be doomed to half-empty stadiums.
There's no way that the stadiums would be half-empty. Seems like folks travel to see the Final 4. And the round of 64. You're thinking like an aggie.

Most of the traditional powerhouses travel well now, as it is, even in games that are relatively meaningless. Of course, teams will travel well when they're one of the last 4, 8, 16 or 32 teams in the country playing.

sitzpinkler
4/3/2007, 11:28 PM
There's no way that the stadiums would be half-empty. Seems like folks travel to see the Final 4. And the round of 64. You're thinking like an aggie.

Most of the traditional powerhouses travel well now, as it is, even in games that are relatively meaningless. Of course, teams will travel well when they're one of the last 4, 8, 16 or 32 teams in the country playing.

forgive them, they're not used to success

poke4christ
4/3/2007, 11:35 PM

The tourney is a completly different animal. Four teams having fans travel for one weekend with a max capacity of 20k. That's just the final weekend. There are only three after all. The first one is mainly attended by locals. The second one in less so, but still has a large group of fans to pick from from.

With football you are dealing with 80k seat stadiums, with fewer team fan bases to fill up the space.

Finally, I ask again. How many of you here would be able to afford three bowl game trips? How many people do you think could afford to join you in it if you went? Let's do the math here for two tickets to three different bowl games. With one of them being the title game.

round 1:
air fare: 150x2 round trip
hotel: 80x2 for two nights
tickets: 75x2
misc and food: 50x2 (thinking cheaply)

total: 710 not too bad, but still a lot

round 2:
hotel: 100x2 for two nights (higher round, cost goes up)
tickets: 100x2

total: 800 cost goes up a little bit

round 3 (NC):
hotel: 125x2 for two nights (cost of hotel goes up again. Would probably be higher)
tickets: 200x2 (not sure on this, but I think it's realistic)
misc and food: 75x2 (thinking cheaply)

total: 1,100

That's a total of 2,610 dollars, and you could probably add in a lot of other costs. I'm young, and I haven't gone to any of OSU's bowl games yet, so I really don't know how much they cost. I'm guessing that I'm on the low side of things. Especially on the food costs. Those of you who went to the NC in 2000, 2003, or 2004, how much did it cost you? Would you have been able to afford 2 other games? Oh, and let's not forget the Big 12 championship too. That is a pretty large additional cost.

Even if you would have full stadiums, I think it's a pretty large request to ask of your fan base. It also limits the ability to attend the games to those with deep pockets or those who are willing to spend money they don't have (or can't afford to spend).

Zach

SicEmBaylor
4/3/2007, 11:38 PM
I've never weighed in on this issue so I'm going to do so now. There's no point in rehashing all the arguments of bowl v. playoff, but suffice it to say you can mark me down as a fan of the traditional bowl system.

goingoneight
4/3/2007, 11:49 PM
The tourney is a completly different animal. Four teams having fans travel for one weekend with a max capacity of 20k. That's just the final weekend. There are only three after all. The first one is mainly attended by locals. The second one in less so, but still has a large group of fans to pick from from.

With football you are dealing with 80k seat stadiums, with fewer team fan bases to fill up the space.

Finally, I ask again. How many of you here would be able to afford three bowl game trips? How many people do you think could afford to join you in it if you went? Let's do the math here for two tickets to three different bowl games. With one of them being the title game.

round 1:
hotel: 80x2 for two nights
tickets: 75x2

total: 710 not too bad, but still a lot

round 2:
hotel: 100x2 for two nights (higher round, cost goes up)
tickets: 100x2

total: 800 cost goes up a little bit

round 3 (NC):
hotel: 125x2 for two nights (cost of hotel goes up again. Would probably be higher)
tickets: 200x2 (not sure on this, but I think it's realistic)
misc and food: 75x2 (thinking cheaply)

total: 1,100

That's a total of 2,610 dollars, and you could probably add in a lot of other costs. I'm young, and I haven't gone to any of OSU's bowl games yet, so I really don't know how much they cost. I'm guessing that I'm on the low side of things. Especially on the food costs. Those of you who went to the NC in 2000, 2003, or 2004, how much did it cost you? Would you have been able to afford 2 other games? Oh, and let's not forget the Big 12 championship too. That is a pretty large additional cost.

Even if you would have full stadiums, I think it's a pretty large request to ask of your fan base. It also limits the ability to attend the games to those with deep pockets or those who are willing to spend money they don't have (or can't afford to spend).

Zach

Well then, I guess you'll have no fan support when you guys go to the BCS with your world's greatest offense. On the contrary, Oklahoma has been known to travel ridiculous distances to games far less meaningful than a championship playoff series. Sure, I wouldn't make all of them, but there are just as many who would make them all, and I'm sure if I miss week 2, someone will fill in for me on week 2, as I only make about 4 games a year anyway. We ranked first in BIG 12 attendance in 2005, whilst going 8-4, and watching OUr in-conference rival win the MNC. We traveled to UCLA, Dallas, Kansas, San Diego, Lubbock and many of us who don't live in Norman made the trip to Norman for OUr games. If your fan showing is weak when you have a week to prepare for it, then tough titty said the kitty. Guaran-damn-tee ya if we won out in a playoff system, OUr fans would break their wallets to make the championship game as well.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
4/4/2007, 12:17 AM
One of the presidents' arguments against a playoff is that it would take players out of the classroom at the end of the semester. First, a playoff could be scheduled around finals and prep for the same. But an examply of fallacy of this excuse is simply that the recent basketball tournament has taken the team members out the classroom and they let that be OK. The mens national basketball finals started at 9 PM in Atlanta. The women's final is played on Tuesday. Regular season basketball games are played on "school nights" sometimes halfway across the nation. Why do university presidents get so concerned about football playoffs interferring with classwork as the games are usually on Saturday, and not the least bit concerned about the scheduling of other sports?Very well said. This is the logical answer to the bs about academics deprivation if there is a playoffs, not to mention the football playoffs that already exist in Division II and III, and in th NAIA.

insuranceman_22
4/4/2007, 12:37 AM
Just rename the playoff games as bowls if that is so important.

Personally, I think the bowls are f'n stupid.

I have to agree with you on this one. Keep the bowls for the teams that don't make the top 8, let the top 8 have a playoff. The current system isn't fair. I know we all hear about tradition of the bowl games, but without progress we'd still be chasing buffalo, deer and rabbit hoping we'd eat tonight. Kind of a shoddy way to make a point, but I think it does convey the message.