PDA

View Full Version : Ouch !...Justin Johnson in trouble

bixby28
4/2/2007, 07:59 PM
Saturday, March 31, 2007

A current Gilmer football player and one of the top 2008 college recruits in the nation, as well as a former Gilmer football standout, have confessed to spray painting a car.

Running back-linebacker Justin Johnson and former Buckeye linebacker Arsenial Richardson — as well as Gilmer High School student Dean McKane Griffith — voluntarily surrendered themselves to the Upshur County Sheriff's Office on Thursday for misdemeanor criminal mischief warrants, according to a press release from Billy W. Byrd, Criminal District Attorney for Upshur County.

Johnson, Richardson and Griffith have confessed to spray painting at least car on Feb. 24 in Gilmer. According to the release, they purchased spray paint which was used to paint various signs and marks on the vehicle.

Officers Chad Lanier and Trey Anderson located several spray paint cans and retrieved latent prints. Johnson, Richardson and Griffith were contacted by Upshur County Sheriff's Office investigator Freddie Mitchell and confessed to the crime in an interview.

Johnson has orally committed to play football for the University of Oklahoma. Oral commitments are non-binding and the first date Johnson can sign with a college is Feb. 6.

Johnson was a second-team Class 3A All-State selection by The Associated Press Sports Editors, an honorable-mention selection by the Texas Sports Writers Association and was a first-team selection on the Longview News-Journal's All-East Texas Team in 2006, rushing for 1,015 yards and 11 touchdowns on 86 carries. Johnson was an All-East Texas Newcomer of the Year in 2005, after rushing for 793 yards and eight touchdowns.

Richardson signed with Texas A&M-Commerce in February. He had 111 tackles and three interceptions for Gilmer, which went 10-0 in the regular season. Richardson was an honorable mention all-state selection by APSE and TSWA and second-team All-East Texas.

Texas A&M-Commerce coach Scotty Conley said he first heard about what Richardson did on Friday. Conley said it is too soon to tell whether the incident will have any affect on Richardson's scholarship status.

"I'll know more when I've had a chance to find out what's going on," Conley said.

The release mentions that there has been up-to-date contact with Gilmer athletic director-head football coach Jeff Traylor. The release said Traylor and other members of the Gilmer Independent School District have been very professional and helpful during the investigation.

According to the release additional charges may be filed at a later date for other victims that may have had property destroyed or damaged by the suspects.

The investigation is ongoing and the Upshur County Sheriff's Office anticipates charging the multiple juvenile offenders with crimes associated with these acts.

http://www.news-journal.com/sports/content/sports/stories/03312007___gilmer_players.html

BOOMERBRADLEY
4/2/2007, 08:02 PM
I think if he were in Thailand he would be a lot more scared...

I heard about this a few days ago and it was stupid and I'm sure he knows it was stupid. Kids make mistakes, and some kids make really dumb mistakes. He will move on and make better decisions i'm sure.

OU-HSV
4/2/2007, 08:31 PM
hmm, this is the first I've heard about it. I'm sure he'll get this kind of stuff out of his system before he signs. Kids will be kids...but I'm surprised to hear he'd be involved in something dumb like this. He seems like he's got a good head on his shoulders w/the whole "creed of champions" dealio.

goingoneight
4/2/2007, 09:04 PM
We all know how Stoops is, and given this happened long before his senior year, I wonder what will happen? I'm sure Stoops is a three-strikes kind of guy, but I'm also sure he's not going to just tell him "no-no" and slap him on the hand.

insuranceman_22
4/2/2007, 10:08 PM
While this certainly isn't a good sign, neither is it the end of Johnson. Nobody was harmed, no chemicals (you know what I mean) were apparently involved. Chalk it up to adolescent male ignorance. Most of us did some pretty stupid things between the ages of 16 and 18 and we survived to. I'm sure his parents, high school coach's and probably Bob will steer him on a better path.

CrimsonFaithful
4/3/2007, 04:40 PM
This Sucks!!!

colleyvillesooner
4/3/2007, 04:42 PM
While this certainly isn't a good sign, neither is it the end of Johnson. Nobody was harmed, no chemicals (you know what I mean) were apparently involved. Chalk it up to adolescent male ignorance. Most of us did some pretty stupid things between the ages of 16 and 18 and we survived to. I'm sure his parents, high school coach's and probably Bob will steer him on a better path.

yeah, but I bet none of us handed Stoops a letter less than two months before the incident that read:

I will do everything within my power to uphold the honor and tradition of Oklahoma football, and to earn respect and admiration for my team and for my university.”

:mad:

BASSooner
4/3/2007, 07:26 PM
He's still a kid. He will keep his word. We were all tempted to do stupid things. At least he had the balls to go up and confess of his wrongdoings.

Desert Sapper
4/3/2007, 11:14 PM
He's still a kid. He will keep his word. We were all tempted to do stupid things. At least he had the balls to go up and confess of his wrongdoings.

Sort of a good idea to confess to a misdemeanor when your prints are all over the spray cans. I hope this doesn't become a pattern, and I hope this doesn't effect his recruiting/signing.

insuranceman_22
4/4/2007, 12:27 AM
yeah, but I bet none of us handed Stoops a letter less than two months before the incident that read:

:mad:

Very true, but if he'd give me a scholly I might hand him one!

birddog
4/4/2007, 10:38 AM
relax, fellas. it'll all be good when it's all said and done.

MojoRisen
4/4/2007, 11:53 AM
Gilmer is a small town I am sure- not much too do for a 17 year old but too play pinball at the arcade or steal hood ornaments for fun.

OSUAggie
4/4/2007, 12:10 PM
Tons of stuff. Late night pitch and putt. We go to the livestock auction and cruise the 4-H babes. Throw stuff off the bridge. What do you feel like doing?

starrca23
4/4/2007, 03:23 PM
Tons of stuff. Late night pitch and putt. We go to the livestock auction and cruise the 4-H babes. Throw stuff off the bridge. What do you feel like doing?

Heh. i'm from Claremore too...just found that funny. :D

Seamus
4/4/2007, 05:38 PM
Way to go, Tommy Boy.

Oh, and CrimsonFaithful -- relax.

RacerX
4/4/2007, 10:25 PM
Much less harmful than dropping water balloons off of an overpass.

stoopified
4/5/2007, 02:41 PM
While this certainly isn't a good sign, neither is it the end of Johnson. Nobody was harmed, no chemicals (you know what I mean) were apparently involved. Chalk it up to adolescent male ignorance. Most of us did some pretty stupid things between the ages of 16 and 18 and we survived to. I'm sure his parents, high school coach's and probably Bob will steer him on a better path.Reminds me a lot of the Wes Sims water baloon incident.Wes and some buddies threw water balloons off an overpass breaking a woman's car window out.This was right after he signed with OU.Wes stayed out of trouble his whole career at OU as far as I know and hope Johnson can do the same.Have to admit prior to the Sims' incident I DID NOT know a water balloon could break a windshield.

Srry X I didn't read down far enough to catch your reference.My bad.