PDA

View Full Version : New Arkansas coach......

AllAboutThe'O'
4/2/2007, 12:13 PM
apparently none other than Creighton coach (and former Kansas State coach) Dana Altman. KStatePike or any other KSU fans on the board, discuss.

http://msn.foxsports.com/cbk/story/6635450

OSUAggie
4/2/2007, 01:39 PM
Wow....

Dana's a solid coach, but his name doesn't have quite the splash that it seemed like a lot of Pig fans wanted...

Paperclip
4/2/2007, 01:40 PM
My Arkansas friend is not happy at all.

fwsooner22
4/2/2007, 02:49 PM
Thats not gonna work out.............

sooner518
4/2/2007, 02:51 PM
can someone remind me why they fired Stan Heath after 2 seasons?

OUstud
4/2/2007, 03:00 PM
Downgrade, somehow.

NorthernIowaSooner
4/2/2007, 03:09 PM
can someone remind me why they fired Stan Heath after 2 seasons?

he was the coach for five seasons he took over in '02

OSUAggie
4/2/2007, 03:12 PM
he was the coach for five seasons he took over in '02

After 1 solid year at Kent State.

He did pretty much nothing at Arkansas except recruit relatively well. He needed to go. I don't know if Dana Altman's the answer, though. My Pig friend says he's glad it's him instead of Cal. I think he's insane.

AllAboutThe'O'
4/2/2007, 03:44 PM

He did pretty much nothing at Arkansas except recruit relatively well. He needed to go. I don't know if Dana Altman's the answer, though. My Pig friend says he's glad it's him instead of Cal. I think he's insane.
I follow the Hogs, too, and I agree that Heath had to go. And I would rather have a slimy John Calipari than someone like Dana Altman.
Ironically, Heath apparently has taken the South Florida job.

KStatePike
4/2/2007, 03:45 PM
Altman had a good situation up in Creighton. Seems like a little bit of a reach by Arkansas, he didn't do well at KSU at all and is credited as the one who started the downfall of our bball program. He's not a bad guy, it just didn't work out here. Something tells me #1-9 on Arkansas' coaching search turned them down.

AllAboutThe'O'
4/2/2007, 03:48 PM
Altman had a good situation up in Creighton. Seems like a little bit of a reach by Arkansas, he didn't do well at KSU at all and is credited as the one who started the downfall of our bball program. He's not a bad guy, it just didn't work out here. Something tells me #1-9 on Arkansas' coaching search turned them down.
1. Billy Clyde Gillispie
2. Bill Self
3. John Calipari
4. Mike Anderson
5. Larry Brown
6. Bruce Weber
7. Eddie Sutton
8. Kelvin Sampson
9. Bob Huggins
10. Dana Altman
At least that's what my sources tell me.:D

KStatePike
4/2/2007, 03:49 PM
lol that sounds about right

royalfan5
4/2/2007, 03:57 PM
I am deriving a great deal of entertainment from the implosion of the Bluejay nation. That being said, Altman is a good coach, but Creighton is in world of hurt as the successor on staff took the Indiana State job, and Altman is taking the whole staff, and potentially the AD as well, with him. The will be very young next year. The word is that the other Sutton boy is high on the Jays list of replacments.

Rhino
4/2/2007, 03:59 PM
I heard it was:

1. Red Auerbach
2. John Wooden
3. Phil Jackson
4. James Naismith
5. Chuck Daly
6. Billy Donovan
7. Norman Dale
8. Mitch Mustain
9. Jody Conradt
10. Dana Altman

OSUAggie
4/2/2007, 04:01 PM
How is Frank Broyles not on any of these lists?

NorthernIowaSooner
4/2/2007, 05:07 PM

im not saying he did a good job i was just correcting the quote that said he was only there for 2 seasons. i dont follow the hogs or have much interest in them i was just saying

picasso
4/2/2007, 08:37 PM
Tulsa news said Scott Sutton is a likely choice for Creighton. I hope so, this would give my boy Tom Hankins the ORU job.

Rhino
4/2/2007, 09:15 PM
Tulsa news said Scott Sutton is a likely choice for Creighton. I hope so, this would give my boy Tom Hankins the ORU job. There's already a rumor floating that if Sutton goes, James Dickey will get offered the ORU job.

picasso
4/2/2007, 09:20 PM
There's already a rumor floating that if Sutton goes, James Dickey will get offered the ORU job.
ain't what I heard. I heard the job has always been Hankins' once the goober #2 left.

goingoneight
4/2/2007, 10:11 PM
heh, Dana. :D

Kinda like Leslie Miles.

Okla-homey
4/3/2007, 08:49 AM
My local sources inform me Eddie hisself is going to ORU. Oral will come out of retirement in his southern California palace/compound and heal Eddie of his addiction to demon rum and ORU will be a national contender again. Book it.;)

picasso
4/3/2007, 08:53 AM
yeah I read that too.:D

Sittler's on drugs.

OSUAggie
4/3/2007, 02:06 PM
Sittler is an idiot...

However, this one actually has teeth.

Friends of Eddie say he's actually interested, and it's somewhat mutual.

Mjcpr
4/3/2007, 02:38 PM
He's going to need to go ahead and sign one of their Code of Conduct forms.

skycat
4/3/2007, 05:07 PM
Altman was 31(!) when he took the K-State job. He got the job basically on the strength of being responsible for recruting Mitch Richmond and a couple of other guys to K-State for Krueger.

He was flat out not ready for the job. He didn't have a horrible overall record, but he never managed a winning conference record.

I'm not sure that he'll ever be able to top the back to back NCAA tourny appearances that Heath got at Arkansas. Frankly, they shouldn't have fired Heath if this is who they're going to replace him with.

OSUAggie
4/3/2007, 05:12 PM
heh... those are definitely huge shoes...

AllAboutThe'O'
4/3/2007, 06:04 PM
Guess what. Apparently Altman just pulled a Bobby Cremins and is going back to Omaha:

http://msn.foxsports.com/cbk/story/6640996

And the embarrassment that is the University of Arkansas athletic department (save for baseball and track) continues.....

NorthernIowaSooner
4/3/2007, 08:17 PM
Guess what. Apparently Altman just pulled a Bobby Cremins and is going back to Omaha:

http://msn.foxsports.com/cbk/story/6640996

And the embarrassment that is the University of Arkansas athletic department (save for baseball and track) continues.....

what a gutless move, i feel bad for his creighton players, cant imagine what theyre thinking, they lost their coach who thought he could do better, then he retreats back

Octavian
4/3/2007, 08:43 PM
Arkansas Chancellor John A. White said he wished Altman well but was hopeful that the Razorbacks and the coach would one day cross paths.

"The No. 1 priority is doing what's best for you and your family," White said. "I'm looking forward to meeting you in the Final Four and beating the socks off you."

:stunned:

I dunno if Arkansas or Creighton is the more unlikely Final Four prospect at this point, but that's just a bizarre statement...it makes them seem totally out of touch with reality.

Definitely embarrassing for Arky and Broyles. They say they're hiring a private search firm for the new search, but they need to manage the control of information better too and hire a PR firm.

After the Springfield Drama meltdown and now this....Arkansas just seems, as entire organization, backwards and sorta out of it. I'm sure their fanbase is livid and they have a right to be.

Octavian
4/3/2007, 09:05 PM
I'm sure their fanbase is livid and they have a right to be.

yeah, there's just a state of confusion over there (http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=10#S=10&F=1013&T=351713) right now...people are mystified and I don't blame 'em.

This post seems to sum it up:

coming in second fiddle to kansas i can understand, as i can to USC, as i can to memphis, even to a&m, but creighton? creighton??? you got to be kidding. this program is headed south, pronto.

:O

tulsaoilerfan
4/3/2007, 09:43 PM
Is he related to Gene Stephenson?

royalfan5
4/3/2007, 09:55 PM
I think Altman realized that he is Creighton basketball, and didn't want to give that up for the asylum in Fayetteville. This isn't unprecedented. Gregg Marshall did this just last year to College of Charleston, and Dan Dakich at West Virginia. Plus your baseball coach situation. Creighton will forgive him, unless Doc keeps getting NU to play like they did this year against Creighton.

skycat
4/3/2007, 11:25 PM
Jack Hartman did it to OSU too. But that's probably long enough ago to be off most people around here's radar.

Honestly, I think this is best for Coach Altman.

OSUAggie
4/4/2007, 09:29 AM
Jack Hartman is a piece of ****. Just sayin'

skycat
4/4/2007, 10:20 AM
Jack Hartman was a wonderful man. Just sayin'

Fixed it for ya'.

Taxman71
4/4/2007, 11:10 AM
Bwaahaaahaaawaaahaaa. Arkies want Sean Sutton? Come on.

Delusional Hogs (http://www.newsok.com/article/3036057)

Mjcpr
4/4/2007, 11:37 AM
Bwaahaaahaaawaaahaaa. Arkies want Sean Sutton? Come on.

Delusional Hogs (http://www.newsok.com/article/3036057)

Why? Just because he comes off looking and sounding so good on television?

OSUAggie
4/4/2007, 12:03 PM
He's so underqualified. Only people that finish a game over .500 are great. ;)

Taxman71
4/4/2007, 12:05 PM
Why? Just because he comes off looking and sounding so good on television?

Could you imagine the smell between the opposing benches when Sean and the Hogs take on Pearl and the Vols? Eek.

Taxman71
4/4/2007, 12:06 PM
As a Sooner fan, I hope Sean stays at Silo Tech for a long time.

OSUAggie
4/4/2007, 12:06 PM
And I wish the same for Capel.

royalfan5
4/4/2007, 12:21 PM
Arkie probably hopes to win a road game sometime too.

fwsooner22
4/4/2007, 01:26 PM

Aggie....your basketball team was perhaaps THE most underachieveing team in the history of the Big XII. They played well early, had an injury, then fell apart and then quit......That is the sign of a coach who does not have a solid grasp of things.....Most people have a little dignity and at least question whether their program was headed in the right direction after that kind of disaster....Not Aggie.....keep right on shootin yer mouth off (or at least your fingers).......That's why you all are considered such a joke.....:pop: :pop: :pop:

fwsooner22
4/5/2007, 08:07 AM
Wow

MikeInNorman
4/5/2007, 11:36 AM
Please, please, PLEASE Arky, do not take Ratboy away from us!

Oh, the humanity!