PDA

View Full Version : Cubs Fans

Mjcpr
4/2/2007, 08:01 AM
Cubs, Tribune sold to Chicago billionaire. Not sure if that's good or bad, I don't think you could blame the Tribune for not spending enough money.

Big news on a day where we're still in first place. :D

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2821964

Mjcpr
4/2/2007, 09:06 AM
Hmmm....now the article says the Cubs will be sold after the season.

Osce0la
4/2/2007, 09:15 AM
:les: MOVE 'EM OUTTA CHICAGO!!!

That's gonna suck for them when the Cubbies win the World Series this fall :D

Mjcpr
4/2/2007, 09:32 AM
Yeah, won't they feel silly? :D

Ike
4/2/2007, 10:17 AM
Any potential owner knows that the Cubs are a potential goldmine waiting to be exploited. This is due primarily to the fact that regardless of how bad the Cubs are, the fans still pack out the stadium. All an owner has to do is about every 10 years or so, buy up a little bit of talent so that they are good enough to at least make a run for the playoffs, and then sell em all off and run for the next 9 years on AAA talent.

Gold.
Mine.

Osce0la
4/2/2007, 10:41 AM
Any potential owner knows that the Cubs are a potential goldmine waiting to be exploited. This is due primarily to the fact that regardless of how bad the Cubs are, the fans still pack out the stadium. All an owner has to do is about every 10 years or so, buy up a little bit of talent so that they are good enough to at least make a run for the playoffs, and then sell em all off and run for the next 9 years on AAA talent.

Gold.
Mine.
It hurts that this is so true...:O

yermom
4/2/2007, 11:10 AM
aren't Cubs fans the MLB version of Poke fans?

Frozen Sooner
4/2/2007, 11:14 AM
No. The Cubs actually put fans in the seats.

Mixer!
4/2/2007, 11:17 AM
~ZING!

tommieharris91
4/2/2007, 11:20 AM

We don't make fun of bandwagoneers. That and we travel like OU football fans.

Ike
4/2/2007, 11:49 AM
If you can call them fans...

roughly half of the people at Wrigley on any given day are there to drink beer and be seen.

Ike
4/2/2007, 11:51 AM
We don't make fun of bandwagoneers. That and we travel like OU football fans.

I don't know if I'd call the fans travel fans though. There are just a lot of Cub fans all over the country...Very few chicagoans that I know will go farther than St. Louis for a regular season game.

OSUAggie
4/2/2007, 11:51 AM

They put their 30,000 in the stands just like we do. ;)

bri
4/2/2007, 12:43 PM
Yeah, but they do that in one game, whereas you need a the entire home schedule to break 30K.

bluedogok
4/2/2007, 01:22 PM

roughly half of the people at Wrigley on any given day are there to drink beer and be seen.
The Cubs don't care as long as they spend their money.......

Ike
4/2/2007, 01:46 PM
The Cubs don't care as long as they spend their money.......

yup...which again is why I say that a smart owner would fill the roster with AAA talent 90% of the time. Wrigley will still sell out every game and that owner will be laughing all the way to the bank.

StoopTroup
4/2/2007, 01:49 PM
A a Card Fan...I think it's ashame to put the Cubs tradition of losing at risk.

Mjcpr
4/2/2007, 03:17 PM
Big news on a day where we're still in first place. :D

The reign appears to be over.....Cincy is up 5-1 in the 7th.

We all knew it couldn't last forever.

Scott D
4/2/2007, 03:21 PM
yup...which again is why I say that a smart owner would fill the roster with AAA talent 90% of the time. Wrigley will still sell out every game and that owner will be laughing all the way to the bank.

Which pretty much explains sports ownership in Chicago no matter what the league. :D

Osce0la
4/2/2007, 03:25 PM
The reign appears to be over.....Cincy is up 5-1 in the 7th.

We all knew it couldn't last forever.
meh...nobody can go undefeated. Wait until the post-season starts...

not that the Cubs will be there anyway :rolleyes:

soonerinabilene
4/2/2007, 03:36 PM
20 bucks says that the cubs are sold to mark cuban in the next year.

Scott D
4/2/2007, 04:54 PM
at least Cuban will have the advantage that Bud Selig is no David Stern.

royalfan5
4/2/2007, 04:57 PM
If I were a Cubs owner, I wouldn't want to win. It would probably halve your fan base.

Scott D
4/2/2007, 04:58 PM
nah it'd make them the midwest version of the Dodgers, people go to be seen not to see. So they'd start showing up late and charging 5x as much to watch from the rooftops across the street.

trwxxa
4/2/2007, 08:00 PM

I think that would be Red Sox fans.

At least the Red Sox win something every hundred years or so. :rolleyes:

bluedogok
4/2/2007, 08:11 PM
...and when did the Pokes win in a sport that actually matters?
OU has won a baseball title since the Pokes have and that is one sport they hang their hats on.

Red Sox fan here....many people travel to games at Wrigley, I have been to a few Cubs games there. In fact our honeymoon had a Cubs game in it, along with a Royals game in KC and a Cards game in StL....she told me to plan the honeymoon so I did.

The Cubs just need to get close every so often to maintain the base, if they did win it I doubt much would change to their base since it is a "be seen" type of crowd for the most part.

tulsaoilerfan
4/2/2007, 09:54 PM

Kinda like Nascar, eh? Except the number is more like 90% there:D