PDA

View Full Version : So, I didnt get the acceptance letter to McNeese...

Melo
3/31/2007, 09:20 PM
I just got these housing forms, and the letter from the nurse, telling me I need to get a meningitis shot and a TD Booster, whatever that is. The letter said I couldnt register until then. So, I guess Ive been accepted......

:confused:

Thanks for all the well wishes, everyone! They worked! Though I havent made a decision yet whether or not I am going.

Frozen Sooner
3/31/2007, 09:28 PM
Congratulations and thank you for proving me wrong.

royalfan5
3/31/2007, 09:33 PM
Why exactly do you want to go to college in Louisana? Congrats though.

LoyalFan
3/31/2007, 09:33 PM
I just got these housing forms, and the letter from the nurse, telling me I need to get a meningitis shot and a TD Booster, whatever that is. The letter said I couldnt register until then. So, I guess Ive been accepted......

:confused:

Thanks for all the well wishes, everyone! They worked! Though I havent made a decision yet whether or not I am going.

One of my bud's daughters was up all night cramming for her Wassermann test. Required for admission to OsWhom. Luckily, they grade on the curve.

Melo,

If McNeese offers a well-taught major that will serve you well in the future, and the price is right, then go for it, dearheart. The longer you delay returning to higher education the greater the likelihood that you will never do so.
If you feel you are not ready, but want to do something of value until you are, then march y'self down to the recruiters and see what you and the Army, Navy, Air Force, Mo-reens, or Coast Guard can offer each other.
Not only will you have responded to a higher calling but you can accrue college credits while on active duty, be trained in a marketable skill, and receive assistance with education expenses once back in the civilian world.
The military WILL help you better define yourself and your true goals.

With avuncular affection,

LoyalFan

GottaHavePride
3/31/2007, 10:19 PM
Do it. Unless you want to work at O'Reilly's the rest of your life. With that said, I actually am being supportive here. ;)

BajaOklahoma
3/31/2007, 10:40 PM
Melo, the meningitis shot can cost 300 - see if the county health department will give it to you for around 70. I'm not sure about the cutoff age.
Td is a tetanus booster. Get a copy of your immunizations - Texas requires students to have it at age 14 to 16 (10 years after the DPT you had to have to get into KN). Can't find a copy of the immunization record? Contact your high school as they are required to keep the records for 7 years after graduation.

And good luck. A friend of my daughter is there and loves it.

Melo
4/1/2007, 09:54 AM
Thanks, Baja, on the info. I know the school also does the waiver, so I could get around paying for the meningitis. Ill contact my HS, though.

Id also like to explain the reason for hesitating - Im not sure if I want to make the move to live there, not knowing anyone, having no car, no job, hardly any money. It just doesnt appeal to me to be THAT reliable on the goodwill of others to get me someplace, plus my parens will be 4 hours away if something happens. The idea frightens me a lot, actually. Though it would be different if I had some sort of way to get around.

The other reason is I applied at McNeese for music. Got all kinds of scholarship money... but I am still not 100% sure music is what I want. With that being said, making a move up here, not knowing anyone, and not being sure of my future career seems even more scarier to me.

And Mike - Im going back to school next semester, whether its a big university, or a community college to start having responsibility again and getting core credits out of the way. I refuse to spend my days lazing around and working for too much longer.

4/1/2007, 10:08 AM
McGood Luck!

Okla-homey
4/1/2007, 01:19 PM
Have you visited the campus?

This is from their official website:

McNeese faced one of its greatest challenges when Hurricane Rita struck in the fall of 2005. The storm caused devastating damage to campus facilities and infrastructure. The recovery effort after Hurricane Rita showed the community of Southwest Louisiana the high caliber of McNeese faculty, staff, and students in their commitment to complete the semester and move forward in support of the core values of academic excellence, student success, fiscal responsibility, and university/community alliances.

Definitely worth checking the place out in person. I can't imagine they've been able to round up beaucoup bucks to fix the place up -- but I could be wrong.

Melo
4/1/2007, 07:11 PM
Some of the buildings were bad, but not horrible. The fine art building got all new flooring and ceiling, with the actual band hall not being damaged at all. The bad part is that all but one dorm hall was damaged very very badly. All their on campus apartments were alright. I have a slight issue with them, though. Theyre pretty expensive, but instead of 2 or 4 to an apartment, they have 6. Then they dont even have kitchens in them. The ones with the kitchens are even more expensive.

Melo would not get along with 5 other girls. No way.

Okla-homey
4/1/2007, 07:31 PM
Some of the buildings were bad, but not horrible. The fine art building got all new flooring and ceiling, with the actual band hall not being damaged at all. The bad part is that all but one dorm hall was damaged very very badly. All their on campus apartments were alright. I have a slight issue with them, though. Theyre pretty expensive, but instead of 2 or 4 to an apartment, they have 6. Then they dont even have kitchens in them. The ones with the kitchens are even more expensive.

Melo would not get along with 5 other girls. No way.

Think about it. hard. There a lots of schools which did not get nuked by hurricanes where you can go to school. Also, hurricane season will be here again come August.

jk the sooner fan
4/1/2007, 07:42 PM
if the bad feelings anywhere near match the good feelings, i wouldnt do it......find another alternative

GottaHavePride
4/1/2007, 07:53 PM
The other reason is I applied at McNeese for music. Got all kinds of scholarship money... but I am still not 100% sure music is what I want. With that being said, making a move up here, not knowing anyone, and not being sure of my future career seems even more scarier to me.

The stats right now say almost everyone will change their major at least once while in college. Wherever you go, if you go for music and later decide to change to something else, probably more music classes than you think will apply as elective credits to your new degree

AggieTool
4/1/2007, 08:43 PM
Good Luck!

bluedogok
4/1/2007, 09:30 PM
Would in-state schools be a better financial situation or did McNeese offer enough assistance? I know the North Texas has a pretty good music school and I think Texas State is suppose to be good as well.

Good luck with your decision, I know it can be tough.

Melo
4/1/2007, 10:52 PM
The stats right now say almost everyone will change their major at least once while in college. Wherever you go, if you go for music and later decide to change to something else, probably more music classes than you think will apply as elective credits to your new degree

Right, you have a point. One which both parents have brought up. I figured I wasnt getting into school on my grades, anyways, so the only way I could get in somewhere better than Blinn was with music. I have to keep your point in mind, though. Thank you. :)

Would in-state schools be a better financial situation or did McNeese offer enough assistance? I know the North Texas has a pretty good music school and I think Texas State is suppose to be good as well.

Good luck with your decision, I know it can be tough.

No one goes through college anymore and pays for all of it without student loans. Ive been told recently not to worry about the cost of anything, and that it would be better for me to just pick where I want and go, rather than trying to find somewhere hat will pay me more. That being said, UNT is an AWESOME school for music. Tstate is probably alright. Dont know much about the latter, though. But if I am going to go to a huge university, hell, Id rather just go to OU.

To be completely honest, though. Im a lazy bum. The idea of even auditioning anywhere right now just makes me want to turn the brain off. I know I have what it takes... just for some reason, I cant get out of this close minded, lazy attitude when it comes to auditioning and practicing.

LoyalFan
4/1/2007, 11:23 PM
To be completely honest, though. Im a lazy bum. The idea of even auditioning anywhere right now just makes me want to turn the brain off. I know I have what it takes... just for some reason, I cant get out of this close minded, lazy attitude when it comes to auditioning and practicing.

To be completely honest, though. Im a lazy bum. The idea of even auditioning anywhere right now just makes me want to turn the brain off. I know I have what it takes... just for some reason, I cant get out of this close minded, lazy attitude when it comes to auditioning and practicing.[/QUOTE]

Melo,

In the kindest way I can muster, 'cause we all care about you,...
Until your work ethic changes and you fully realize the consequences of NOT gettin 'er done, then you are doomed to O'Reilly's, The Burger Biggie, Wal-Mart, or a career in pole dancing.
Again, consider the military; Not as a "punishment", but as a maturing experience which will possibly "trip the trigger" re the future. At least talk with them, OK?
After my first wife and I tore the blanket my son drifted...dropping out of school, menial jobs, smoking pot, shacking up (at age 16) with an adult female.
I snatched him up, told her to leave town or face statutory rape charges, moved him in with me, and made him get his GED. I told him that when he reached 18 it was either college or the military.
He raged, he cried, he gnashed his teeth, and his wimp of a mother told me I was heartless.
Epilogue: Senior Chief Petty Officer John A. ?????, age 39, retired from the US Navy, after 21.5 years service, July '06. By the time he did so, he had completed an MBA and has had numerous job offers, one of which he will accept so soon as his wife finishes her Master of Elementary Education Degree and they can relocate.
I'm proud of my son. I'm proud of his service and proud of the service for what they did for him in return. They might just do the same for you.
We all want the best for you I (and SicEm just wants YOU) and I'm certain I'm not the only one who is at least a tad worried re your future.
We love you, girl, in the proper way...well, 'cept for that kid at Baylor...and whatever you choose, we'll be doing the Wave Cheer for you.

LoyalFan
Grouchy Old Man
Captain, *Armored Cavalry, Emeritus
*See: Tank

Melo
4/1/2007, 11:35 PM
LF - I appreciate the advice and the kindness you and everyone else here shows me.

Its not a lack of ethic or even drive to succeed that holds me back. I want to do something with myself other than what I am doing now. The drive is there... I just dont want to set off in one direction (music) then decide 1-2 years and $20,000 later that I should have thought about it more.

Guess I just wanted to say that. I dont feel any laziness or lack of ambition when I think about a future... I just hesitate to jump without looking to see if there are big rocks at the bottom of this cliff. :D And music seems hazy. Id like to do something else. Or at least give something else a try. Ive been thinking about taking some art and business classes. Those two things interest me a lot.

Now, youre not the only one to mention the military to me. Honestly - I have talked to all the branches of service. Since I was about a junior in HS. Heck, since the third grade till 10th, I grew up with the Ft. Hood kids. I was interested in the marines for awhile. Then the AF. Then the Navy. Then the Coast guard. I appreciate what they do and what they offer... Im just not so sure if it is for me. I mean, you go in and you have to live THEIR way. You get things in return... but I havent ever really been the person to just say 'yes sir' and go about my business. Ive always been the dork off on the side doin stuff my way. I dont doubt it would benefit me if I could get past the mind issues. I dont know if it is a lack of maturity or maybe a lack of intelligence.

Always thinking possible options though. Thank you.

apusooner
4/2/2007, 12:35 AM
you could audition at the schools for scholarships. that could be one way of helping decide if you really want to do music. you have to audition at most schools anyway to get in in the first place, maybe they would throw some bread in your general direction. plus, if you really want to succeed in the music biz, whether it be teaching or performing, you have to be diligent in your practice. if you have a burning passion for music, go for it, if you have to ask questions, maybe you shouldn't. The great Doc Severinsen was once asked the question, "Do you think I can make it in the music world?" his reply was " Not if you have to ask that question." before you commit to music, you should be damn sure you really want it. it really applies in any field.

Okla-homey
4/2/2007, 06:35 AM
I was interested in the marines for awhile. Then the AF. Then the Navy. Then the Coast guard. I appreciate what they do and what they offer... Im just not so sure if it is for me. I mean, you go in and you have to live THEIR way. You get things in return... but I havent ever really been the person to just say 'yes sir' and go about my business. Ive always been the dork off on the side doin stuff my way. I dont doubt it would benefit me if I could get past the mind issues. I dont know if it is a lack of maturity or maybe a lack of intelligence.

Always thinking possible options though. Thank you.

Newsflash: your "military" paradigm is rather stereotypically inaccurate. I second the notion that it may be precisely what you need to help you get it all together. Military service is also the source of well over $30K of college money. Finally, the military has bands of the marching and non-marching variety.

Also, there is no job on the planet, civilian or military, where you do not have to "do it" the boss's way and/or say "'yes sir' and go about your business." Heck, even an artist (painter or performing) has to do stuff the paying public likes, if that artist wants to eat.

jk the sooner fan
4/2/2007, 06:47 AM
there is obviously "some control" in the military.....its called order and discipline....but something to consider, you're a female, which means you'd end up in a support role - the barking, yelling and screaming to do it "my way" pretty much ends as soon as you finish basic training....again, they do have rules, but once you get to your duty station....its pretty much a job - its really all how you look at it, or want to look at it........if you want to look at the military like you're doing, then you'll never see the positives

TheHumanAlphabet
4/2/2007, 10:24 AM
McNeese isn't a bad campus, now Lake Chuck - ehh.

SicEmBaylor
4/2/2007, 12:43 PM
Also, there is no job on the planet, civilian or military, where you do not have to "do it" the boss's way and/or say "'yes sir' and go about your business." Heck, even an artist (painter or performing) has to do stuff the paying public likes, if that artist wants to eat.

You seem to imply that artists compete fairly in the free-market, hah! The NEA takes care of that!

royalfan5
4/2/2007, 03:47 PM
In regards to the Army and music thing. One of my old roommates put himself through school by being in the reserves in the band. It worked out well for him.

bluedogok
4/2/2007, 08:24 PM
You seem to imply that artists compete fairly in the free-market, hah! The NEA takes care of that!
For maybe he 1% of artists that get assistance, the art world is probably the closest thing to the "free" market as their is..

Melo
4/2/2007, 09:14 PM
there is obviously "some control" in the military.....its called order and discipline....

I've never done well with sitting back and doing what others tell me. I do it my way, and I either do it alone, or I get others to do it for or with me.

I admit, I dont know a whole lot when it comes to the military. I just know that I am 95% sure that I wouldnt do well with it. Probably being close-minded about it, BUT my gut feeling is steering me away from it. Just like my gut feelng is steering me away from music.

*shrug*

I dont know.

jk the sooner fan
4/2/2007, 09:31 PM
I've never done well with sitting back and doing what others tell me. I do it my way, and I either do it alone, or I get others to do it for or with me.

let me know how that works out for you in life

most of the time (not always), the people that feel they will do the worst, are the ones that do the best

but, if you arent interested, then you just arent

GottaHavePride
4/2/2007, 09:47 PM
Dude, you have NO idea here. Seriously.

And Melo, if your gut is telling you you don't want to do music, then you need to figure out what it is you DO want to do. To be really good at music - whether it be performance, education, composition, whatever - you have to be an incredibly driven, single-minded perfectionist. You have to love what you're doing, because you won't be doing it for the money. If you don't really, REALLY want to do music deep down, you'll most likely wind up in a mediocre job that you'll hate. I'm not trying to sound discouraging here, but figure out what you want to do and then go after it.

Just keep in mind that nothing is an irrevocable decision. You can change careers mid-life and be very successful. I had a wonderful history teacher in high school who retired from teaching to become a romance novelist. (http://www.amazon.com/Dukes-Proposal-Leslie-Lafoy/dp/0312347723/ref=pd_bbs_sr_3/102-4658451-1197736?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1175568272&sr=8-3) According to Amazon.com she has about 34 books published now. One of my chemistry teachers retired to become an acupuncturist.