PDA

View Full Version : Young Players Highlight Today's Scrimmage

Jay C. Upchurch
3/31/2007, 02:43 PM
NORMAN — Young players again were responsible for most of the
offensive highlights when Oklahoma completed its second scrimmage of the
spring Saturday at Gaylord Family - Oklahoma Memorial Stadium.

Three sophomores and a freshman accounted for the four touchdowns in the event. When it was over, OU head coach Bob Stoops, who was critical
after his team's first major scrimmage, was more positive about his
team.

"It was better," he said. "The intensity, the effort, the enthusiasm
all were really good. We've got improvement to make in clearing up some
mistakes but that's why we practice."

Redshirt freshman running back DeMarco Murray again practiced well.

He rushed 16 times for 132 yards and one touchdown. He had one 65-yard
burst and then scored on a seven-yard sweep. The versatile Murray also
caught one pass for a 19-yard gain.

"DeMarco's a special player," Stoops said. "All spring he's made plays
and he made a lot of big plays today. He's going to be a boost to us."

The offense's first touchdown came on a 40-yard backward throw from Sam
Bradford to Brandon Caleb. Ruled a lateral, Caleb took the ball and ran
down the sideline for the score. The play capped a three-play, 60-yard
drive.

Murray then tallied his score before tight end Jermaine Gresham scored a
touchdown on the 12th possession of the day. He hauled in a 15-yard
throw from true freshman Keith Nichol.

The final touchdown came during red zone work when Chris Brown pounded
in from five yards out.

All three quarterbacks vying for the job, Joey Halzle, Sam Bradford and
Keith Nichol, saw considerable action.

Halzle hit on 7-of-15 passes for 76 yards with one interception.
Bradford was 8-of-13 for 114 yards with two interceptions and Nichol was
4-of-8 for 96 yards with one interception and one touchdown.

"Sam has thrown really well all spring," Stoops said when asked about
the redshirt freshman. "All three of them have. They made some
mistakes, but that's the reason you can't get enough snaps. They need
all the work they can get to make those mistakes out here."

The defense had a youthful flavor like its offensive counterpart.

Redshirt freshman cornerback Dominque Franks picked off two passes and
another redshirt freshman, DT Gerald McCoy, had 1.5 sacks.

Safety Nic Harris led the defense with eight tackles.

OU now gears up for the April 7 Red/White game. That contest begins at
1 p.m., and will be televised by ESPN.

Tickets are $5 in advance, $10 the day of the game. OU students will be
admitted free with a current ID.

Scoring Plays

Caleb 40-yard run (Hartley kick)

Murray 2-yard run (Hartley kick)

Gresham 15-yard pass from Nichol (Hartley kick)

Brown 5-yard run (Hartley kick)

Rushing

Murray -- 16-132, 1 TD

Brown -- 13-72, 1 TD

Caleb - 1-40

Patrick -- 10-35

Madu -- 9-20

Passing

Halzle -- 7-15-1-76

Bradford -- 8-13-2-114

Nichol -- 4-8-1-96, 1 TD

Receiving

Iglesias -- 2-30

Murray -- 1-19

Brown -- 3-5

Madu -- 2-23

Chaney -- 2-26

Johnson -- 2-19

Gresham -- 3-73, 1 TD

Finley -- 1-26

Tennell -- 2-17

Caleb -- 1-48

Defense

Harris -- 8
Wolfe -- 7, 1 INT
Lofton -- 7, 1 FR
Baker -- 7
Reed -- 6
McCoy -- 5 , 1 TFL (-1), 1.5 sacks (-8)
Nelson -- 5, 1 TFL (-1), 2 PBU
Robinson -- 5
D. Pleasant -- 5, 1 sack (-9)
Granger -- 4
Macon -- 4, 1 sack (-6)
Franks -- 3, 2 INT
Smith -- 3, 1 INT (9)
Bowers -- 3
Q. Carter -- 3
Dotson -- 3, 1 PBU
M. Walker -- 2, 1 PBU
Crow -- 2 , 0.5 sack (-3)
Beal -- 2, 1 sack (-1)
Bennett -- 2
Williams -- 1, 1 PBU
Davis -- 1
Taylor -- 1
Taggart -- 1
Clayton -- 1
Jackson -- 1

OU SID Report

Rogue
3/31/2007, 03:09 PM
? What's a "PBU?"

monty
3/31/2007, 03:16 PM
I think it's a pass break up

Fraggle145
3/31/2007, 03:39 PM
bradford also led two scoring drives... Halzle also had an INT that wasnt accounted for in this during the 7 on 7 drill. I wish we would go to the TE more. It also looked like they (especially Nichol) were working with a slightly limited playbook because it is still spring ball.

Overall my opinion was we made some mistakes, we look like we are ready for another week of practices and the spring game and after that into summer workouts.

Any word on why Duke and "The Load" didnt play? Load was in a walking boot... mild sprained ankle?

King Crimson
3/31/2007, 04:07 PM
Caleb had two touches for 88 yards. whoa.

Blue
3/31/2007, 06:56 PM
Safety was the leading tackler...:rolleyes:

Hopefully he got the most pt.

Widescreen
3/31/2007, 07:01 PM
Any word on why Duke and "The Load" didnt play? Load was in a walking boot... mild sprained ankle?
Loadholt has a toe injury.

http://www.newsok.com/article/3033066/

Big guy, big toe: When 6-foot-8, 350-pound Phil Loadholt hurts his big toe, it's logical to believe the injury is a bigger problem than for an average-sized person.

Maybe that's why Loadholt, the front-runner to start at left tackle for the Sooners in the fall, will sit out the rest of spring practice. The transfer from Garden City (Kan.) Community College suffered a sprained big toe on his left foot Tuesday.

"It's a turf toe-type deal,” offensive line coach James Patton said. "We'll just wait and get him back for summer.”

PAW
3/31/2007, 08:01 PM
They also have some highlights and interviews up.

Young Players Highlight Scrimmage (http://www.soonersports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=300&ATCLID=837450)

Blue
3/31/2007, 08:46 PM
I'm so excited to see Gresham breakout. He might be Kellen Winslow good. A chain mover.

Newbomb Turk
3/31/2007, 08:47 PM
Safety was the leading tackler...:rolleyes:

If i'm not mistaken, he was the 2nd leading tackler on the team last year.

OU-HSV
3/31/2007, 08:47 PM
So I just watched the highlights from today. Bradford looks pretty well rounded and comfortable back there. Nichol is impressive when he scrambles. Murray (as we all know by now) is really looking like a freak, great speed, great jukes...I've said it before..I can't wait to see DM against other teams this season. Stoops sounded very pleased w/the way today went.

Blue
3/31/2007, 08:51 PM
If i'm not mistaken, he was the 2nd leading tackler on the team last year.

That's can't be good though, right?

Newbomb Turk
3/31/2007, 09:00 PM

Hell, I don't know.
my guess is it depends on the defense you run.

tommie15
3/31/2007, 09:30 PM

Nothing wrong with the safety being the leading tackler in my mind. Hell, I'm sure Roy had to lead OU in tackles once or twice. I'll go look it up.

Ash
3/31/2007, 09:38 PM
Thanks for the update Jay. Great jorb as usual.

Eielson
3/31/2007, 10:28 PM
The offense's first touchdown came on a 40-yard backward throw from Sam
Bradford to Brandon Caleb. Ruled a lateral, Caleb took the ball and ran
down the sideline for the score.

I know what he meant, but that made me laugh.

SoonerRoads
4/1/2007, 11:24 AM
bradford also led two scoring drives... Halzle also had an INT that wasnt accounted for in this during the 7 on 7 drill. I wish we would go to the TE more. It also looked like they (especially Nichol) were working with a slightly limited playbook because it is still spring ball.

Overall my opinion was we made some mistakes, we look like we are ready for another week of practices and the spring game and after that into summer workouts.

Patton said Duke was held out because of a slight "stinger". Precationary measure.

As for the rest of the scrimmage, I was impressed with the versatitility of our backs. We've got inside guys and outside guys and all of them are good. Murray looked good and Brown looked like a hard runner for the future and Allen patrick is just a big time inside runner. He is such a stud. Madu looked good as well. We appear to be loaded in the backfield and may have the most impressive list of backs next to USC and perhaps overall, even better. This may be a year where running back is by "committee".

Pass protection wasn't the best, but this may be the best overall depth and experience we have had in the O-Line in a good many years and what is even better is, they are still relatively young. This bodes well.

At QB Bradford looked good, Hazle looked himself and Nichol, well.......he is our Star of the future. I see great things coming from this young man in the years to come. Though he is behind everyone else on the learning curve, he is catching on quickly and this guy is gonna be the real deal eventually. Bradford seems to move well out of the pocket but holy cow, watch Nichol. This kid can run, pass, pass on the run and seems to make good decisions. All he needs is a little time and experience. I am blown away at what he seems to bring to practice. I only hope that equates the same in games.

The "D" is gonna be stout again regardless of our losses at LB and we may see an even better "D" than we have seen in the past. Shut down corners, strong at the safety positions and the D-Line, I predict, will re-emerge led by McCoy. I think he may be the "anchor". LB's need to come along, but I think BV will have them there.

Overall, the future looks bright despite losing our starting QB. I think I see us going undefeated in the regular season, depending on how our QB's play, and putting Smack Brown back in his place, underneath Oklahoma. Another surprise National Championship year in the offing? Boomer Sooner!

Just my take.

Blues1
4/1/2007, 12:16 PM
Thanks for all the eye witness practice posts - makes us out of state guys :)
keep postin'
Keep R'

Suerreal
4/1/2007, 12:49 PM
Amen to that!

- Sue

Tulsa_Fireman
4/1/2007, 01:20 PM

I dunno, think about how much Nic played up close to the line of scrimmage last year. Like a pass coverage LB to make your Nickel play like a 4-3 while still keeping 2 up top, all while having that speed up close to make plays against the run. Great idea, in my book. And with some impact at DT, this oughta play lights out this season.

Chompin' at the bit. Oh yeah.

Shneeg11
4/1/2007, 03:16 PM
Keith Nichol is on the training wheel offense, he throws the ball well, but how impressive is it to look at two receivers, and if they aren't open, run.... Heupel would throw his head back, look up at the sky, sigh, and shake his head every time keith takes off running. This next statement is going to sound ridiculous, but from somebody on the team that sits in on all of the qb and offense meetings...the qb battle is between bradford and joey, its not much of a battle if thats true tho

Seamus
4/1/2007, 04:50 PM
So I just watched the highlights from today. Bradford looks pretty well rounded and comfortable back there. Nichol is impressive when he scrambles. Murray (as we all know by now) is really looking like a freak, great speed, great jukes...I've said it before..I can't wait to see DM against other teams this season. Stoops sounded very pleased w/the way today went.

Glad it's not just me -- Murray looks ridiculously fast out there, and I know we've got speed on defense. He has a stunning burst.

SoonerRoads
4/1/2007, 09:10 PM
Keith Nichol is on the training wheel offense, he throws the ball well, but how impressive is it to look at two receivers, and if they aren't open, run.... Heupel would throw his head back, look up at the sky, sigh, and shake his head every time keith takes off running. This next statement is going to sound ridiculous, but from somebody on the team that sits in on all of the qb and offense meetings...the qb battle is between bradford and joey, its not much of a battle if thats true tho

I think it is true that Nichol still has the "training wheels" on considering he just showed up on campus 2-1/2 months ago. But given time, this kid is going to come on. It may not be this year at all, but in short time, his presence and ability will be felt. Bradford will most likely be the starter this year. He has had over a year in the system and probably should be. Hazle is the last gift to us by "Chuck third and Long" before he departed. He may be a great kid but I don't see him ever being an impact player.

Just my take.

goingoneight
4/1/2007, 10:20 PM

I know we don't utilize the TE as much as most people think we should, but I got a question maybe someone can answer for me. How many times is "enough" to the TE? How many times did we go to Smith? I know it was a lot, but that's just because it was just one of those plays that always worked, ala AD up the middle. JJF has been good, but he bobbles the ball when they go to him. I've seen great stuff out of JJF as a blocker, and great stuff out of JG as a receiver. Kinda gives away the big secret as to which TE you'll use, doesn't it?

goingoneight
4/1/2007, 10:25 PM

Maybe so, but I remember a whole message board worth of "WTF's" when Jason White was named the starter of OUr top-ranked team in 2003. Comments were ripe with knee status, how it would affect him in the pocket, how well he'd throw off of a reconstructed knee, etc. I am willing to bet with my fellow OU fan friends that Bradford will start in September, but I ain't bettin' the farm. My OSU fan friends need a place to live, so that ain't right.

Shneeg11
4/1/2007, 11:31 PM
[QUOTE=SoonerRoads]Hazle is the last gift to us by "Chuck third and Long" before he departed.

Actually Chuck Long recruited Bradford, and got him to sign

Shneeg11
4/1/2007, 11:44 PM
sorry, i messed up on the quote

footballfanatic
4/2/2007, 05:47 PM
Your QB's threw four int's and one TD pass. Nothing that has us shaking in our boots.

BASSooner
4/2/2007, 06:00 PM
Your QB's threw four int's and one TD pass. Nothing that has us shaking in our boots.
considering that we have a stacked and experienced secondary that could be considered one of the best in the coutry...whereas you guys are having to start converted dudes(Kelson) and freshmen

Not to mention that the young QBs will be practicing with these guys to prepare themselves for other teams...

SoonerRoads
4/2/2007, 07:41 PM
[QUOTE=SoonerRoads]Hazle is the last gift to us by "Chuck third and Long" before he departed.

Actually Chuck Long recruited Bradford, and got him to sign

Well, if you want to get down to specifics...and I could be wrong.....but Jackie Shipp also recruited Sam and I think that Chuck left for San Diego St. well before the signing date....so I think it was Shipp who actually "signed" him, though Bradford had actually verbally committed in 2005. If you remember, Chuck was gone before the bowl game that year(2005). Whereas Joey was signed prior to Chuck's departure, since he was a JC Transfer and coudl do so.

Just my take.