PDA

View Full Version : NCAA Prez: Coaches make too much $$

soonerloyal
3/31/2007, 09:00 AM
Coach salaries worry NCAA president

Posted: Thursday March 29, 2007 5:56PM; Updated: Thursday March 29, 2007 5:56PM

ATLANTA (AP) -- NCAA president Myles Brand expressed concern Thursday about runaway coaching salaries, but said it was up to individual schools and universities to police themselves when it comes to new hires.

"The NCAA can't do anything about it," Brand said at his annual Final Four news conference. "We don't make the hires or set the budgets of the institutions."

Brand, though, said he thinks university presidents have to take a look at the escalating salaries. They reached new levels with the eight-year, $32 million contract Nick Saban signed to coach the Alabama football team, and there is speculation at the Final Four that Florida coach Billy Donovan could leave for Kentucky for a similarly priced deal.

"I think we have to begin asking some very hard questions," Brand said. "It raises the question of propriety for colleges and universities. Is this the appropriate thing to do within the context of college sports?"

Brand, who has previously questioned both salaries and the increasing "arms race" of schools building athletic facilities, was forced to defend the organization's tax-exempt status to a congressman last year in light of the heavy spending on athletics.

But he said the NCAA has no ability to regulate salaries, and plays only a limited role in how its schools finance athletics. Still, he said, it was troubling to see some college coaches making more money than their counterparts in the pros.

"At what point do you believe that it does not make sense? Each school will have to figure it out for themselves," Brand said. "I don't think schools should be moving in this direction without giving it some serious thought."

Spray
3/31/2007, 09:22 AM
One of the two of us is confused here. My understanding is that the NCAA is not a seperate money-making institution from the member schools. If that were the case, then where do they spend those "huge amounts".

Basically, there's no irony here because the NCAA is just the conglomeration of all the member schools who are paying the huge coaches salaries. Therefore, Brand, as chosen head of said organization, is openly questioning the practices of the members of his own organization, which is what he is paid (handsomly, I'm sure) to do.

In the end, if anyone is going to question the activity of schools paying exorbitant sums for their coaches it SHOULD be the NCAA. This is actually refreshing... if Brand really means it.

setem
3/31/2007, 09:43 AM
The NCAA prez worries me!

DO AWAY WITH THE NCAA!!!

GrapevineSooner
3/31/2007, 10:04 AM
Dear Myles Brand,

It's called free market economics.

Sincerely,

Reality

Scott D
3/31/2007, 10:33 AM
Dear Myles Brand,

When was the last time 80,000 people showed up to see a kid do a damned Chemistry experiment?

Sincerely,

Coach Sam Winters

Stitch Face
3/31/2007, 11:54 AM
"The NCAA can't do anything about it," Brand said

Much to his chagrin, I'm sure. Control freak.

TopDawg
3/31/2007, 12:46 PM
EXTRA! EXTRA! READ ALL ABOUT IT!

Myles Brand expresses concern. Public overreacts.

yermom
3/31/2007, 12:50 PM
amateur sports are big business ;)

Jello Biafra
3/31/2007, 01:34 PM
dear ncaa freak:

shut up! we're tired of hearing your trap run. that is all.

Snrfn4ever08
3/31/2007, 02:36 PM
Give us a playoff and we'll petition the universities to lower the coaching salaries...a win-win situation :D

sooneriniowa
4/1/2007, 01:55 AM
This also coming from a guy who made more last year than 80% of HC's in D1 schools. Latest info that I was able to located stated that he made 738,000 in 03. Maybe his salary didn't go up as fast as the coaches???
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/2005-01-24-myles-progress_x.htm

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
4/1/2007, 05:54 PM
This also coming from a guy who made more last year than 80% of HC's in D1 schools. Latest info that I was able to located stated that he made 738,000 in 03. Maybe his salary didn't go up as fast as the coaches???
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/2005-01-24-myles-progress_x.htmBrand just looks envious of the coaches; I dunno why he even cared to speak out, other than he wishes he could meddle into setting salaries.

The_Red_Patriot
4/1/2007, 07:32 PM
Dear Myles Brand,

When was the last time 80,000 people showed up to see a kid do a damned Chemistry experiment?

Sincerely,

Coach Sam Winters

hahahah NICE

MissouriSooner
4/1/2007, 10:35 PM
[QUOTE=sooneriniowa]This also coming from a guy who made more last year than 80% of HC's in D1 schools. Latest info that I was able to located stated that he made 738,000 in 03. Maybe his salary didn't go up as fast as the coaches??? QUOTE]
Let Brand spend several years as an unpaid assistant - just to get the necessary experience - then let him spend several more years working his way up as a grossly underpaid coaching assitant, then let him bounce around from school to school as an assistant coach, trying to hang onto a job that's only as secure as the next change of AD and/or head coach, then let him spend countless years on the road recruiting a bunch of wet-nose high school kids while his own kids grow up without their father being around for such things as birthdays, graduations, teeball games, you-name-it, THEN let him come and tell us that head coaches make too much money. Only a handful of men have the skill to rise to coach at a major university where they can command the kind of money Brand worries about, but any number of men or women can do the job Brand does, which is mostly hand-wringing and bed-wetting over the very few things he and the NCAA doesn't already control in college sports. Sit down and shut up, Brand.

goingoneight
4/1/2007, 10:41 PM
Go f*ck yourself and we'll petition the universities to lower the coaching salaries...a win-win situation :D
fixed. :D

Rocker
4/1/2007, 10:57 PM
HAHAHAHAHHA Too Much Money...... OK

Suerreal
4/1/2007, 11:27 PM
Genie's don't go back into the bottle all that easily. The days of college coaches making less than a university president are long gone. If you want want someone to raise $50M for your program through some combination of onfield performance and working the alumni just right, you're going to have to pay him more than a few hundred K.

- Sue

stoopified
4/2/2007, 11:35 AM
This is also the same guy whose school(IU) paid a hefty sum to hire an NCAA rule breaker as basketball coach.I'm thinking there is just maybe a tad bit of hypocrisy here?

Scott D
4/2/2007, 12:24 PM
This is also the same guy whose school(IU) paid a hefty sum to hire an NCAA rule breaker as basketball coach.I'm thinking there is just maybe a tad bit of hypocrisy here?

Ironically it's also the same guy who had enough balls to take on Robert Knight and win.

Landthief 1972
4/2/2007, 01:55 PM
Now if he had said that the Big XII commissioner was overpaid, I'd wholeheartedly agree.