PDA

View Full Version : Not many bands have a better catalog.

KC//CRIMSON
3/30/2007, 11:20 PM
Their late sixties and early seventies stuff is just incredible. Soul and groove a mile wide.:cool:

Gimme Shelter
Street Fighting Man
Satisfaction
Jumpin' Jack Flash
You Can't Always Get What You Want
19th Nervous Breakdown
Under My Thumb
Sympathy For The Devil
Mother's Little Helper
She'a A Rainbow
Get Off My Cloud
Wild Horses
Ruby Tuesday
Paint It Black
Honky Tonk Woman
Let's Spend The Night Together
Tumbling Dice
Fool To Cry
Bitch
Midnight Rambler
Far Away Eyes
When The Whip Comes Down
Waiting On A Friend
Shattered
Dance Little Sister
Brown Sugar
Monkey Man
Miss You
Emotional Rescue
Beast Of Burden
Angie
It's Only Rock And Roll
Start Me Up

Not to mention all the hits and non hits in the late eighties and early ninties.

rufnek05
3/30/2007, 11:27 PM
word

King Crimson
3/30/2007, 11:28 PM
i've said it before: the stretch with Beggar's Banquet, Sticky Fingers, Exile on Main Street, let it Bleed. that's about the best 3-4 year period of album sides there is.

some of those tunes you got are on Some Girls, Tattoo You,....that's mid 70's, Tatoo may even be the 80's. I know Emotional Rescue is.

but i ain't gonna disagree with the intent of the thread. Under My Thumb is ruling and taking names.

tbl
3/30/2007, 11:30 PM
I agree. There aren't many bands with a better catalog, but there are a few.

KC//CRIMSON
3/31/2007, 12:16 AM
i've said it before: the stretch with Beggar's Banquet, Sticky Fingers, Exile on Main Street, let it Bleed. that's about the best 3-4 year period of album sides there is.

some of those tunes you got are on Some Girls, Tattoo You,....that's mid 70's, Tatoo may even be the 80's. I know Emotional Rescue is.

but i ain't gonna disagree with the intent of the thread. Under My Thumb is ruling and taking names.

You throw in "Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out!" and "Goats Head Soup" and you've really got one hell of a stretch.:cool:

KC//CRIMSON
4/2/2007, 09:44 PM
Merry Clayton laid down one of the best female vocals of all time on "Gimme Shelter" Go back and listen to it sometime with a good pair of headphones. Unbelievable.:cool:

Jagger: "That song was written during the Vietnam War and so it's very much about the awareness that war is always present; it was very present in life at that point. Mary Clayton who did the backing vocals, was a background singer who was known to one of the producers. Suddenly, we wanted someone to sing in the middle of the night. And she was around. She came with her curlers in, straight from bed, and had to sing this really odd lyric.( Rape!.......Murder!......It's just a shot away!) For her it was a little odd - for anyone, in the middle of the night, to sing this one verse would have been odd. She was great."

From Wikipedia:
She dueted with Mick Jagger on The Rolling Stones' song "Gimme Shelter" on their Let It Bleed release. Reportedly, the intensity of her performance on the song caused her to miscarry. (Hmmmm. don't know if I believe that info.....) Clayton also sang backing vocals on Lynyrd Skynyrd's "Sweet Home Alabama". Early in her career, Clayton sang backup vocals for Tom Jones, Ray Charles, Joe Cocker and Carole King. She also originated the role of the Acid Queen in the original 1972 London production of The Who's Tommy. More recently, Clayton has provided background vocals for Sparta's latest album Threes on the songs "Atlas" and "Translation". As an actress, she co-starred with Ally Sheedy in the 1987 film Maid to Order.

sooneron
4/2/2007, 11:40 PM
99.94% of bands don't have that kind of catalog for their entire careers.

SoonerGirl06
4/3/2007, 12:16 AM
Their songs are absolute classics!

One of my goals in life is to see them in concert... silly, I know... but still.

I just hope they don't keel over before they decide to tour again.

1stTimeCaller
4/3/2007, 12:29 AM
What's the deal with them being a touring band and not a studio band? I think I heard somewhere that they didn't sell a lot of albums early in their career but they always sold out concerts.

Any truth to that? honest question.

AlbqSooner
4/3/2007, 06:56 AM
What's the deal with them being a touring band and not a studio band? I think I heard somewhere that they didn't sell a lot of albums early in their career but they always sold out concerts.

Any truth to that? honest question.
They sold out concerts, and they sold a lot of albums. However, their album sales were not as brisk as the Beatles and a few others of the time. Being a product of those times, I can say that the Stones projected a drug band image that was less discrete than the Beatles and some others. This seemed to put some people off enough that they would not buy the albums but would go to the concert. Kind of in the closet about their love for the music. Just my take.

Boomer_Sooner_sax
4/3/2007, 08:09 AM
Their songs are absolute classics!

One of my goals in life is to see them in concert... silly, I know... but still.

I just hope they don't keel over before they decide to tour again.

I have seen them three times...including the concert in Norman. They are amazing group live and Mick runs something like 12 miles during the set. They are really good and I totally recommend it.

By the way, I agree, one of the best catalogs ever and the way music is supposed to be. Also, cool info on "Gimme Shelter" one of my favorite songs. The girl they have doing backing vocals is pretty good too. You should check it out on the "Bridges to Babylon" DVD.

OUAndy1807
4/5/2007, 04:59 PM
you know, I always hated the Stones because I grew up seeing the 80's Stones and didn't know what the big deal was. Lately I've been wearing out Beggar's Banquet, Let It Bleed, Sticky Fingers and Yaya's. I can't get enough.

BigRedJed
4/5/2007, 05:06 PM
Man, too bad Guns 'n' Roses didn't stay together. I heard that they would have been the Stones. Then we would have had TWO catalogs like that one.

King Crimson
4/5/2007, 05:15 PM
Man, too bad Guns 'n' Roses didn't stay together. I heard that they would have been the Stones. Then we would have had TWO catalogs like that one.

not sure i agree with that. i bet Izzy was the only one in that band who ever listened to Exile all the way through. axl is a moron, and all Slash does is play solos.

BigRedJed
4/5/2007, 05:16 PM
Yeah, I don't agree with it either. In fact, I throw up a little in my mouth every time that I hear it.

King Crimson
4/5/2007, 05:17 PM
hear what?

BigRedJed
4/5/2007, 05:19 PM
Huh?

1stTimeCaller
4/5/2007, 05:21 PM
I really liked Mick Jagger in the movie Freejack.

BigRedJed
4/5/2007, 05:22 PM
Seriously, I throw up when I hear someone say that GNR "would have been the Stones."

King Crimson
4/5/2007, 05:28 PM
well, don't forget...the stones have put out some pretty average to sucking records as well.

and props to Andy. Beggars Banquet is my fave. and side 1 of Exile. and cranking Sister Morphine to mind shearing volume is not to be missed. Keith is playing like he MEANS it. hehe.

Beef
4/5/2007, 06:17 PM
Dead Flowers is one of the best country songs ever written.

Scott D
4/5/2007, 06:26 PM
I figure Mick dies before Keith, and Keith will snort Mick's ashes in tribute.

OUAndy1807
4/5/2007, 07:48 PM
of the albums listed so far, Exile is probably my least favorite and an overrated album in my mind (great album, but overrated when you look at the others they put out.)

King Crimson
4/5/2007, 07:50 PM
wrong!

it was made for the LP format. 4 20 minute album sides. as a CD or sinlge mp3 track it becomes interminable.

Beggar's is still my fave.

there used to be a guy who played guitar on the Pearl Street Mall in Boulder....who always played "Rocks Off" from exile. there would be all these kids and parents standing around and he launch right off into the chorus "gonna get my rocks off"....it was great.

hip shake thing on exile is a late, great Slim Harpo cover, for those keeping score at home.

BigRedJed
4/5/2007, 08:00 PM
of the albums listed so far, Exile is probably my least favorite and an overrated album in my mind (great album, but overrated when you look at the others they put out.)
Pffffft.

As for my fave, I think the sentimental favorite for me is Some Girls, because that's the first time that I cared about them as a band. I ate that album up. In retrospect, after I developed a love for their older stuff, I would probably have to go with Sticky Fingers, Exile, and Let it Bleed, in that order.

BigRedJed
4/5/2007, 08:01 PM
Well, that's not quite right, because Some Girls would still be in my top three, somewhere. Nevermind.

King Crimson
4/5/2007, 08:16 PM
Well, that's not quite right, because Some Girls would still be in my top three, somewhere. Nevermind.

Some Girls is awesome.

When the Whip Comes Down was the B side to Beast of Burden. i had the 45. bitches.

bought it Sound Warehouse on Lindsey.

yermom
10/22/2007, 03:03 PM
i finally picked up Sticky Fingers and Let It Bleed

i take back everything i ever said about The Stones

PrideTrombone
10/22/2007, 04:03 PM
http://www.auburn.edu/student_info/consulting_club/bobs.jpg

I celebrate his entire catalog.

bluedogok
10/22/2007, 09:49 PM
Traditionally artists make their money on touring and the record companies make the money from album sales. For most artists you never get a good contract until you establish yourself as a major money machine. That is why many bands toured extensively and especially back then.