PDA

View Full Version : I want to ride my bicycle

SoonerBK
3/30/2007, 03:47 PM
So the wife and I are wanting to buy a couple of bikes pretty quick--like tomorrow. We want something that can go on or off road. Here's the problem, the only kind of bike I know anything about starts with Harley and ends with Davidson. Anybody out there have any recomendations on brands and also stores in the OKC area? Oh and I don't want a Wal Mart bike either. It was either here or consumer reports to get help. CR does not have near the witty retort that the SO does.

Mjcpr
3/30/2007, 03:50 PM
Give us some more information. For example, are you wanting to pump your wife on it....things like that.

OUHOMER
3/30/2007, 03:50 PM
Why?? thats my question WHY?, they take up too much room in the garage.
Stick with the Harley

SoonerBK
3/30/2007, 03:51 PM
Yeah well I'm not gettin rid of the Harley. It might be fun.

Rhino
3/30/2007, 04:28 PM
Bicycle bicycle bicycle
I want to ride my bicycle bicycle bicycle
I want to ride my bicycle
I want to ride my bike
I want to ride it where I like

You say black I say white
You say bark I say bite
You say shark I say hey man
Jaws was never my scene
And I don't like Star Wars
You say Rolls I say Royce
You say God give me a choice
You say Lord I say Christ
I don't believe in Peter Pan
Frankenstein or Superman
All I wanna do is

Bicycle bicycle bicycle
I want to ride my bike
I want to ride my
Bicycle races are coming your way
So forget all your duties oh yeah!
Fat bottomed girls they'll be riding today
So look out for those beauties oh yeah
On your marks get set go
Bicycle race bicycle race bicycle race
Bicycle bicycle bicyI want to ride my bicycle
Bicycle bicycle bicycle
Bicycle race

You say coke I say caine
You say John I say Wayne
Hot dog I say cool it man
I don't wanna be the President of America
You say smile I say cheese
Cartier I say please
Income tax I say Jesus
I don't wanna be a candidate
For Vietnam or Watergate
Cos all I want to do is

Bicycle bicycle bicycle
I want to ride my bike
I want to ride it where I like

C&CDean
3/30/2007, 04:40 PM
Yeah, that's gonna help him decide Rhino.

Rhino
3/30/2007, 04:45 PM
Yeah, that's gonna help him decide Rhino. I don't know, cocaine might.

TopDawg
3/30/2007, 04:48 PM
I don't know, cocaine might.

I think you mean cokecaine.

Oldnslo
3/30/2007, 04:59 PM
You can ride mountain bikes on the road. However, knobby tires and the extra pounds of the frame will make it impossible to go fast, and the more upright riding position means that you'll catch every puff of wind square in the chest, as if you're a sail or a parachute. You'll think that's no big deal.

Untill it happens.

Cain't really ride roadies off on trails. There's a style of bike called a cyclocross, but there are tradeoffs there, too.

If you want to ride trails, buy a mtb; if you don't, buy a roadie.

Whatever you pick, make sure it fits. Fit is much more important than whether the frame is made of aluminum, scandium, ti, carbon, or steel.

Oldnslo
3/30/2007, 05:01 PM
Oh, also, junksaver saddles: yes.

The saddle should support you by your sit bones--the inside of yo' pelvis. On a ride of any distance, you don't want your squishy stuff supporting your weight.

The shop should be able to work with you to find a saddle that fits.

In Tulsa, go to T-Town bicycles. Don't know about OKC.

TopDawg
3/30/2007, 05:10 PM
You can ride mountain bikes on the road. However, knobby tires and the extra pounds of the frame will make it impossible to go fast, and the more upright riding position means that you'll catch every puff of wind square in the chest, as if you're a sail or a parachute. You'll think that's no big deal.

Untill it happens.

Cain't really ride roadies off on trails. There's a style of bike called a cyclocross, but there are tradeoffs there, too.

If you want to ride trails, buy a mtb; if you don't, buy a roadie.

Whatever you pick, make sure it fits. Fit is much more important than whether the frame is made of aluminum, scandium, ti, carbon, or steel.

Oh, also, junksaver saddles: yes.

The saddle should support you by your sit bones--the inside of yo' pelvis. On a ride of any distance, you don't want your squishy stuff supporting your weight.

The shop should be able to work with you to find a saddle that fits.

In Tulsa, go to T-Town bicycles. Don't know about OKC.

Yeah, that's gonna help him decide Oldnslo.

Oldnslo
3/30/2007, 05:16 PM
Ain't no point in saying, "I ride a Trek." d00d needs to find a bike that works for him. Snot like he gave just a ton of info for anyone to go on.

Gimmie a pricepoint and tell me whether you're more likely to ride on or off road.

I can say that Giant makes a ton of bikes for other sellers. They usually offer a little more bang for the buck. OTOH, I think all of their roadies use "compact sizing", where the top tube is slopes instead of coming parallel to the ground. Some folks don't care for that feel/fit.

p.s. I don't happen to ride a trek these days. The roadie is a Samson Silverton ti. The mtb is a Titus Racer-X ti. I've got a Bianchi singlespeed, too, a S.A.S.S.

SoonerBK
4/2/2007, 11:20 AM
FYI...We ended up at budget bikes on NW 23rd east of Meridian. I thought they took pretty good care of us. The model I ended up with was the Giant Canyon, which is a full suspension mtn bike. The wife got a model called a Yukon I think. We rode yesterday. I am pleased with mine, and she likes hers also. There was another model that the sales guy showed us, but it was burnt orange in color, and I told the guy that would abe a deal breaker.

Sooner in Tampa
4/2/2007, 11:35 AM
You should have gotten in touch with Biker Fox...I am sure he would have helped out.

Oldnslo
4/2/2007, 11:39 AM
FYI...We ended up at budget bikes on NW 23rd east of Meridian. I thought they took pretty good care of us. The model I ended up with was the Giant Canyon, which is a full suspension mtn bike. The wife got a model called a Yukon I think. We rode yesterday. I am pleased with mine, and she likes hers also. There was another model that the sales guy showed us, but it was burnt orange in color, and I told the guy that would abe a deal breaker.
Good for you!

Ride it like you stole it.

SoonerBK
4/2/2007, 11:51 AM
The full suspension thing is a new one on me, but I will get used to it.