PDA

View Full Version : Bike ******-*******s

SoonerBK
3/30/2007, 03:46 PM
So the wife and I are wanting to buy a couple of bikes pretty quick--like tomorrow. We want something that can go on or off road. Here's the problem, the only kind of bike I know anything about starts with Harley and ends with Davidson. Anybody out there have any recomendations on brands and also stores in the OKC area? Oh and I don't want a Wal Mart bike either. It was either here or consumer reports to get help. CR does not have near the witty retort that the SO does.

1stTimeCaller
3/30/2007, 03:50 PM
A guy I work with has a GT Avalanche 2.0. He loves it. I'm thinking about getting the same or the Avalanche 3.0.

That's all I got. I think Howzit and TopDawgin2000 both are bike riders,

OUHOMER
3/30/2007, 03:52 PM
Why? thats my question WHY? they take up too much room in the garage. Stick with the Harley

Mjcpr
3/30/2007, 03:53 PM
Pump your wife.

Howzit
3/30/2007, 03:54 PM
I'm more into road bikes, but I have a Giant mountain bike. Find a bike retailer in your area and go tell them what you're interested in and what price range you're looking at. They will be able to help you in terms of bike size and set up, also.

A lot of places won't deal a whole lot on the actual bikes, but have a little more margin on peripheral stuff like clothing and accessories.

Howzit
3/30/2007, 03:55 PM
Why? thats my question WHY? they take up too much room in the garage. Stick with the Harley

Hang 'em from the ceiling.

Then, after you quit riding, it still looks cool when the garage door is open.

Mjcpr
3/30/2007, 03:55 PM
I'm more into road bikes, but I have a Giant mountain bike. Find a bike retailer in your area and go tell them what you're interested in and what price range you're looking at. They will be able to help you in terms of bike size and set up, also.

A lot of places won't deal a whole lot on the actual bikes, but have a little more margin on peripheral stuff like clothing and accessories.

Such as ill-fitting shorts?

You took them to the cleaners on that deal.

Howzit
3/30/2007, 03:57 PM
Such as ill-fitting shorts?

You took them to the cleaners on that deal.

"Ill-fitting?"

Who are you and what the **** have you done with Pat?

Taxman71
3/30/2007, 04:04 PM
Ask this guy. He will pump nearly anything:

Number 1 Biker (http://www.bikerfox.com/)

SoonerBK
3/30/2007, 04:30 PM
That is just so awesome that he is a poke fan.

bluedogok
3/30/2007, 06:04 PM
I bought my Cannondale (a long time ago) at Wheeler Dealer at 50th & May, but when Budget Bicycles (NW 23rd between Meridian & Portland) opened up I started going there for everything.

Taxman71
4/2/2007, 09:29 AM
I was in the same boat a year ago and ended up getting a Trek mountain bike. Not the bottom line, but no where near the top....around $400 for mine and $300 for the wife. Definitely find a semi-local bike shop to make your purchase as most will give you free tune-ups and continued service.

At this price level, I don't think you will see much difference in the major brands.

IronSooner
4/2/2007, 09:57 AM
Check out The Bike Store - It's off Broadway Extension and I think 122nd. I got a Giant Iguana SE from them back in 2001 or so for about $500. Good bike for college, on/off road, but not a serious off-roader really. I mostly ride it on the street, on/off curbs, etc. The Bike Store deals a lot in Giants and Treks I believe. I'd suggest popping in there and telling them what you're looking for. They're pretty good IMO.

frankensooner
4/2/2007, 10:07 AM
Here is mine and I have NO complaints. http://www2.trekbikes.com/bikes/bike.php?bikeid=1312600&f=27

It is a hybrid and can go offroad, but is also a nice ride on streets.

Sooner in Tampa
4/2/2007, 11:40 AM
That is just so awesome that he is a poke fan.And he is good friends with Howzit...they cycle together. :P

stoopified
4/2/2007, 11:46 AM
Schwinn?

stoopified
4/2/2007, 11:50 AM
Check out The Bike Store - It's off Broadway Extension and I think 122nd. I got a Giant Iguana SE from them back in 2001 or so for about $500. Good bike for college, on/off road, but not a serious off-roader really. I mostly ride it on the street, on/off curbs, etc. The Bike Store deals a lot in Giants and Treks I believe. I'd suggest popping in there and telling them what you're looking for. They're pretty good IMO.
Sorry bro but I ain't paying $500 for anything that doesn't have either a motor or a big screen.:D

Taxman71
4/2/2007, 11:55 AM
I went with the Trek 4300 and it is a greater "get into biking" bike. It can be had for $350 these days, is aluminum (thus, light) and is a hardtail....easily modified to all-road use with slick tires.

AggieTool
4/2/2007, 06:46 PM
I went with the Trek 4300 and it is a greater "get into biking" bike. It can be had for $350 these days, is aluminum (thus, light) and is a hardtail....easily modified to all-road use with slick tires.

Good buy.

yermom
4/2/2007, 08:01 PM
Schwinn?

i've really liked the Schwinn's i've had

do NOT get one at Wal-Mart though

OKC-SLC
4/2/2007, 09:32 PM
Agree with above. Trek is a good entry level bike for whatever you're looking for. Mine is a 4500 I bought in Salt Lake City in 2003. I've put a lot of hard miles on it while in Utah (as anyone who's biked there can tell you, there's a lot of big league mtn biking there), and I've not had to replace a thing besides some tubes.

TopDaugIn2000
4/2/2007, 09:36 PM
I don't like Trek simply cause that's what Achmed has.

I'm a Bianchi fan. Thanks to Andy. :)

Taxman71
4/3/2007, 10:49 AM
Also, be sure to get fitted at a bike shop. Sizing based on height, etc. can be grossly misleading and cause you to have a bike that either kills your knees or shatters your taint on an unsuspecting drop. Oh, and buy some bike shorts with the crotch pads when you buy your bike (don't worry, wear them under some gym shorts). You will thank me later.