PDA

View Full Version : Appropriate questions to ask while being interviewed

landrun
3/30/2007, 08:32 AM
I've started searching for a new job.

I have worked for companies that put extreme pressure on everyone they employee. When things go wrong there is a hunt for someone to sacrifice. It creates an unbearable atmosphere where everyone is on the defensive and many are on the offensive looking to blame others for their failures. Some of the supervisors are incompetent and blatantly dishonest blaming their own subordinates for their lack of responsibility and sometimes blaming other supervisors. It was the kind of job anyone would want to get away from.

But right now I work for a great company. Most people here are responsible, disciplined and get along. I love this place. Best job I've ever had. But ... it is a government contract job and in December the fun is over. So everyone is out looking for new positions.

I doubt I could find a place like this anytime soon. It really is THAT good of a job. But, what I don't want to do is to go back to a hell hole job like I came from before I had this position.

So how do you go about qualifying the company you're interviewing with while they try to qualify you? :) When they finish asking their questions, they'll ask 'Do you have any questions?' So, how do you ask, "Are you guys a bunch of butt-holes" without asking... "Are you guys a bunch of butt-holes"? :)

I've thought about asking what the atmosphere is like? It is 'high paced' and do you work on short lead times to get product/projects out the door. etc...

I'd like to ask some questions without making myself look like I'm trouble waiting to happen by asking those questions. But I'm not sure that's possible. :(

OklahomaTuba
3/30/2007, 08:35 AM
Ask if drinking on the job is ok.

Mjcpr
3/30/2007, 08:39 AM
How much vacation do I get?

I'm going to be needing off _____________ through _____________.

Mjcpr
3/30/2007, 08:40 AM
Don't stiff me on mileage or you will rue the day.

Rue it, I tell you.

OUDoc
3/30/2007, 08:40 AM
Ever seen a grown man naked?

Taxman71
3/30/2007, 08:45 AM
If I can't get a two martini lunch, do I get a one joint coffee break?

Can I get a desk right next to the door so I can get the heck out at 5 o'clock?

-thanks George Carlin

rufnek05
3/30/2007, 08:49 AM
are pants required

OUDoc
3/30/2007, 08:50 AM
Can I get paid today?

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
3/30/2007, 08:51 AM
Seriously:

What would your employees say makes this a great place to work?

What is the turnover rate with your company?

In what ways does management work to instill good morale?

OUDoc
3/30/2007, 08:53 AM
Seriously:

What would your employees say makes this a great place to work?

What is the turnover rate with your company?

In what ways does management work to instill good morale?
Be serious for a minute.

landrun
3/30/2007, 08:56 AM
This place is great. :D
You ask a serious question get 10 responses and only one is sincere. :)

Sooner Born Sooner Bred, I appreciate your input.
If the interview has gone well, I'll ask your questions.
If not, I'm going with the previous responses as they'll probably be more fun at that point. :)

MamaMia
3/30/2007, 10:12 AM
We offer time off for daytime OU basketball games and away game travel days for OU football. :)

skycat
3/30/2007, 10:13 AM
How long before I'm your boss?

StuIsTheMan
3/30/2007, 10:20 AM
Can I get a assistant that takes good Dicktation?

1stTimeCaller
3/30/2007, 10:35 AM
Ask them how long they have been there and why they left their last company to work here.

Viking Kitten
3/30/2007, 10:47 AM
Sooner Born Sooner Bred, I appreciate your input.

Yeah, but we don't. :D

How many felonies constitutes "too" many?

mdklatt
3/30/2007, 10:50 AM
Ask them how long they have been there and why they left their last company to work here.

This is a great idea. Turn every question they ask you back at them. It lets them know you're paying attention.

What qualifications do you have for this position?

What qualifications do you have for your position?

crawfish
3/30/2007, 10:56 AM
I usually ask every person who interviews me why they like working for the company, how long they've worked there, and the like. I also ask questions about processes - how things are done, how formalized they are, etc.

If I'm serious about accepting an offer, I ask to tour the facilities, and pick a time when most people will be there. A few times, I've caught some pretty scary things by just looking at the average employee workspace.

You can't be 100% sure. Most of the positions I've had have been very good jobs; however, I did accept one where I quit after a day and a half after finding out how things "really" were.

Good luck!

1stTimeCaller
3/30/2007, 10:56 AM
I've only been not offered a job after an interview one time in my entire life. It was a company in Irvine, CA that said no thanks.

Don't turn every question around but that one is a good one to ask.

Ask about career paths within the company. Are you going to be stuck on one career path or will you be able to choose from a few different paths.

crawfish
3/30/2007, 10:59 AM
I've only been not offered a job after an interview one time in my entire life. It was a company in Irvine, CA that said no thanks.

Don't turn every question around but that one is a good one to ask.

Ask about career paths within the company. Are you going to be stuck on one career path or will you be able to choose from a few different paths.

You must be a) the world's greatest BS'er, or b) not asking enough. ;)

Petro-Sooner
3/30/2007, 11:05 AM
This is a great idea. Turn every question they ask you back at them. It lets them know you're paying attention.

What qualifications do you have for this position?

What qualifications do you have for your position?

Now thats funny right there. :D

MamaMia
3/30/2007, 11:18 AM
You want a serious response? Okay, here goes. No way would I hire some smarty britches who waltzes into my company and takes it upon himself to question my *** up one side and down the other, when I'm going to be the one cutting the checks. If you want the job and I like you, fine. Try it out. If you find that you don't like working for my corporation, then quit. Don't let the door hit you where the good Lord split you. There are plenty of resumes where yours came from. And I mean that in a very polite way.

You're welcome. :)

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
3/30/2007, 11:47 AM
Here's another one:

What do you like best about working here? What do you like least?

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
3/30/2007, 11:54 AM
You want a serious response? Okay, here goes. No way would I hire some smarty britches who waltzes into my company and takes it upon himself to question my *** up one side and down the other, when I'm going to be the one cutting the checks. If you want the job and I like you, fine. Try it out. If you find that you don't like working for my corporation, then quit. Don't let the door hit you where the good Lord split you. There are plenty of resumes where yours came from. And I mean that in a very polite way.

You're welcome. :)With all due respect Mama, you work at a doctor's office. It's a little different in the corporate world. We're not talking about a receptionist position, but a professional career position.

SweetheartSooner
3/30/2007, 12:02 PM

You're welcome. :)

:gulp:

http://www.inhumane.org/Humor/scared.jpg

CUinNC
3/30/2007, 12:03 PM
A Few:

- Average tenure of current employees in a dept. / function
- What type of accomplishments has that area acheived in the last year (if things are positive, they will start to give on this one and layout some things)
- What do you do to insure a new employees success/how do you help them succeed ( you would not believe some of the answers you get with this one)
- How are employees managed & measured - MBO's = a plan
- Directives = on-the-fly = no plan

AHEM - I've gotta track record like 1TC's;)

MamaMia
3/30/2007, 12:33 PM
With all due respect Mama, you work at a doctor's office. It's a little different in the corporate world. We're not talking about a receptionist position, but a professional career position.Oh, well then I wouldn't know, seeing as how you don't have to be trained professional to work in a dental clinic. By the way, we're incorporated. ;)

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
3/30/2007, 09:03 PM
Oh, well then I wouldn't know, seeing as how you don't have to be trained professional to work in a dental clinic. By the way, we're incorporated. ;)That's not what I meant. Anyway, I would much rather have a prospective employee ask a ton of questions so they know if it is a job they are really going to want. The questions they ask help me to determine the type of employee they might be. The last time I hired, 200 people applied for one position. It's not really something I want to have to do again in 3 weeks because someone didn't like my company's culture.

MamaMia
3/30/2007, 10:38 PM
That's not what I meant. Anyway, I would much rather have a prospective employee ask a ton of questions so they know if it is a job they are really going to want. The questions they ask help me to determine the type of employee they might be. The last time I hired, 200 people applied for one position. It's not really something I want to have to do again in 3 weeks because someone didn't like my company's culture.
The person I hired who asked me a bunch of questions didn't blend well with the rest of the trained personnel. I guess we're just more of an adapting, easy going bunch. :)

SCOUT
3/30/2007, 11:14 PM
I think an interview should always be a two way street. The employer should make sure they are hiring the right person, but the person has equal responsibility to make sure it is the right job.

You should always make sure you fully understand the expectations of the role, day to day activities, etc.

More specifically to your question, I would recommend starting with some quantifiable questions. This way, you aren't implying anything yet. Start with a question about their annualized turnover rate. If it is above 15%, ask what have been some of the causative factors.

I would also ask how performance feedback is handled, how autonomous the decision making is, etc. Get an idea for how the leadership interacts with the commoners.

Lastly, look around at the people in the office that you are NOT speaking with. Are they straight out of some 1920's sweatshop caricature or do they seem to be more upbeat. The people who aren't putting on their "interview" face can often give you the most insight.

BTW, those questions/subjects I mentioned don't need to all be addressed in one interview. Start broad and narrow it down.

IMHO of course.

olevetonahill
3/30/2007, 11:24 PM
If the position requires a sceratary ask if shes gonna be a Typist or just a huntan pecker ?

Flagstaffsooner
3/31/2007, 12:44 AM
"What's that smell?"

Rogue
3/31/2007, 06:33 AM
Most common ones I hear:
1) What's the tour of duty?
2) Salary?
3) When do you plan to fill this position?
4) When can I expect to hear from you?
5) Can I see the work area (window? cube? parking?)
6) I already have my vacation scheduled, will that be a problem?
7) I usually go to my profession's state/national conference. Will I still be able to here? Would the company help with any of the costs?

Good questions I've heard:
1) Are there advancement opportunities?
2) Who else should I talk to to find out what it is like to work here?
3) Why is this position vacant now?
4) How is the staff morale?
5) I've researched the company, how can I fiind out more about the position I'm applying for (best to do before the interview).
6) Will I be able to (insert pet interest area here...research, publishing, developing your skills, training, et cetera)???