PDA

View Full Version : It has reached the point where the hint of a...

Soonerus
3/29/2007, 10:43 PM
...tornado and all local programing shifts to chasing down video or eye-witness sightings of dust-devils....

RiddlerOK
3/29/2007, 11:10 PM
I'm glad I'm not the only person who has noticed that lately.

Tailwind
3/29/2007, 11:11 PM
Those news type peoples are gonna really be disapointed if there are no tornadoes.

Blue
3/29/2007, 11:21 PM
Not to be Dougie Downer, but people are dying left and right to these things.

Waaah....wah...

Soonerus
3/29/2007, 11:22 PM
tabloid weathermen....

Soonerus
3/29/2007, 11:24 PM
Not to be Dougie Downer, but people are dying left and right to these things.

Waaah....wah...

Did anybody get even so much as a hang-nail today ??? I do not think so....

Blue
3/29/2007, 11:29 PM
Did anybody get even so much as a hang-nail today ??? I do not think so....

I believe that same storm system killed one yesterday or today.

Blue
3/29/2007, 11:30 PM
Looks like kinda something they'd be concerned about.

http://www.spc.noaa.gov/climo/reports/yesterday.html

Blue
3/29/2007, 11:32 PM
Not to mention this one from less than a month ago that killed about 20...

http://www.spc.noaa.gov/climo/reports/070301_rpts.html

Soonerus
3/29/2007, 11:36 PM
The issue is, should they "take over" the TV stations...people around here are astute enough that simple scrolling would suffice except for truly major storms...every storm is not a major storm...it has reached a point of excessiveness...IMHO....

Blue
3/29/2007, 11:40 PM
I do not live there so I guess I should not have commented. My apologies to you sir.

SoonerGirl06
3/29/2007, 11:47 PM
The issue is, should they "take over" the TV stations...people around here are astute enough that simple scrolling would suffice except for truly major storms...every storm is not a major storm...it has reached a point of excessiveness...IMHO....

I completely agree. It's gotten totally out of control. The panic it causes is ridiculous. They cry wolf too many times and no one's gonna pay any attention when it really does matter.

Soonerus
3/29/2007, 11:49 PM
I completely agree. It's gotten totally out of control. The panic it causes is ridiculous. They cry wolf too many times and no one's gonna pay any attention when it really does matter.

Seriously, let's just make all 8000 cable channels 24 hour weather channels...

proud gonzo
3/29/2007, 11:53 PM
they aren't NEAR as bad about that here as they are in Wichita.

IronSooner
3/30/2007, 12:34 AM
Odd as it sounds I actually miss it. After spending the first 23 years of my life there I became accustomed to the theatrics. Only one channel here even has a real radar and nobody does a particularly good job of notifying the TV-viewing public about impending storms.

All in all there's a fair chance a tornado could sneak up during your favorite show and snack on your camaro and yard flamingos without you ever seeing it coming.

olevetonahill
3/30/2007, 12:46 AM
Hells bells Peeps
25 yrs ago ALL the stations Interrupted Programing for the threat Of a tornado . so whats Different Now ?

Soonerus
3/30/2007, 12:48 AM
Hells bells Peeps
25 yrs ago ALL the stations Interrupted Programing for the threat Of a tornado . so whats Different Now ?

It was not as bad as it is today....

Blue
3/30/2007, 12:48 AM
Hells bells Peeps

They might miss an episode of Greys Anatomy.

Soonerus
3/30/2007, 12:49 AM
What's wrong is it is overkill deluxe...

olevetonahill
3/30/2007, 01:00 AM
What's wrong is it is overkill deluxe...
Dumas
they reach a Vast audience , Just cause theres nothing around you dont mean Others should not Be on the lookout .
Pay attention .:eek:

Soonerus
3/30/2007, 01:12 AM
That is part of the problem , punishing the masses with a squall in the Texas Panhandle....

Blue
3/30/2007, 01:16 AM
What are you really missing? Turn the tv off.

Newbomb Turk
3/30/2007, 01:33 AM
some of the highest ratings they get is when they go into "full storm tracking mode". Not saying I like it, but I don't blame them - it's all about ratings.

Jimminy Crimson
3/30/2007, 04:06 AM
The one today was heading right towards OKC before it took a northern course.

Sometimes overkill, but if it saves a life, it was worth it. You're not missing anything on Oprah or Dr. Phil anyways. ;)

SoonerTerry
3/30/2007, 05:12 AM
some of the highest ratings they get is when they go into "full storm tracking mode". Not saying I like it, but I don't blame them - it's all about ratings.

I would tend to believe its more about keeping people from getting ripped into little bitty pieces...

JMO

BTW: out here in south-western ok there can be a 8 mile wide man-killer and we would be lucky to get a notice scrolling on the bottom of the screen... which is why I have weather underground saved on my favorites

sanantoniosooner
3/30/2007, 07:36 AM
I'm kind of getting tired of product recalls also.

And traffic information.

And vaccinations.

And my firewall.

tulsaoilerfan
3/30/2007, 10:13 PM
Last night KTUL 8 had a guy in McAlester just to report it was raining there

yermom
3/31/2007, 03:15 AM
at least there were tornadoes in the last couple of days

breaking in for heavy rain is a little lame

when they **** up shows it would be nice if they reaired them later, like 3am or something. actually they should do that anyway ;) imagine the ad money to be made on a late night Lost replay

Okla-homey
3/31/2007, 06:39 AM
There is an article in this month's Readers Digest about the bad twister in OKC a few years back. Pretty compelling and poignant.

I mention it b/c in that piece, the author described how Gary England bases his decision to go "priority one" at his station and go wall-to-wall with weather coverage. Apparentlly, he doesn't do so lightly. Also apparently, a lot of people in central Oklahoma are alive today b/c Gary occasionally pulls the trigger on going "priority one" when he feels it's warranted, like he did on that scary day.

Soonerus
3/31/2007, 07:42 AM
There is an article in this month's Readers Digest about the bad twister in OKC a few years back. Pretty compelling and poignant.

I mention it b/c in that piece, the author described how Gary England bases his decision to go "priority one" at his station and go wall-to-wall with weather coverage. Apparentlly, he doesn't do so lightly. Also apparently, a lot of people in central Oklahoma are alive today b/c Gary occasionally pulls the trigger on going "priority one" when he feels it's warranted, like he did on that scary day.

The May 3 tornado was a little different calamity than the alleged mini-tornados we saw this week, oh well, some people like it I guess and if it draws great ratings then game-set-match...

william_brasky
3/31/2007, 11:31 AM
With all this weather and the TV tornado/weather coverage, I've been having dreams/nightmares about every other night involving tornadoes.

GottaHavePride
3/31/2007, 02:30 PM
The May 3 tornado was a little different calamity than the alleged mini-tornados we saw this week, oh well, some people like it I guess and if it draws great ratings then game-set-match...

The "alleged mini-tornados" still tore up some houses. If I meet the people that lived there, I'll be sure to tell them you don't think they deserve any warning.

Soonerus
3/31/2007, 02:52 PM
The "alleged mini-tornados" still tore up some houses. If I meet the people that lived there, I'll be sure to tell them you don't think they deserve any warning.

Warning is not the issue, of course they deserve warning. The issue is should TV be taken over for hours and hours...

yermom
3/31/2007, 02:57 PM
nothing should preempt the precious TV ;)

Soonerus
3/31/2007, 03:01 PM
nothing should preempt the precious TV ;)

That is really not the point either, frankly, other than OU sports and DVR'ed shows, I don't watch much TV but it still annoys me to see it on and on and on.....

GottaHavePride
3/31/2007, 03:03 PM
Well, see, tornados move, so new people are continually in need of information about where the storm has gone.

Soonerus
3/31/2007, 03:12 PM
Well, see, tornados move, so new people are continually in need of information about where the storm has gone.

They, along with the conditions favorable for them also dissipate, thus those formally in the theoretical path have zero risk and no need of literally constant "chicken little" warnings.....

hurricane'bone
3/31/2007, 03:12 PM
at least there were tornadoes in the last couple of days

breaking in for heavy rain is a little lame

when they **** up shows it would be nice if they reaired them later, like 3am or something. actually they should do that anyway ;) imagine the ad money to be made on a late night Lost replay

I know KOTV usually does that up here and I'm pretty sure KTUL does it as well.

yermom
3/31/2007, 03:15 PM
what i would agree with is why does it need to be on all the local channels?

you have divided your spotting resources, etc... at that point

it seems like it would be better if there was one community channel that had all the crap and they shared people and technology instead of some ****ing contest about who has the biggest radar and the best coverage

seems to me they should only break into TV to tell you to go to the emergency channel if you are in the affected area on the map, etc...

obviously that wouldn't happen as there is too much $$$ invested in the way it currently works

but man does it suck to come back to a DVR'ed show that is all weather coverage :D

Soonerus
3/31/2007, 03:19 PM
Last night they were showing a "potential" tornado near Tinker Field and using their own computer technology showed on live TV the winds were gusting as high as 29 MPH...gggggeeeeeezzzz.....

proud gonzo
3/31/2007, 03:31 PM
dude, if you don't like tornado warnings turn off your damn tv and ignore them. or better yet, move to a part of the country that doesn't have tornados.

if baffles me that you can complain about something that potentially saves lives. the world doesn't revolve around your pathetic whiny ***, Russell.

Soonerus
3/31/2007, 03:35 PM
dude, if you don't like tornado warnings turn off your damn tv and ignore them. or better yet, move to a part of the country that doesn't have tornados.

if baffles me that you can complain about something that potentially saves lives. the world doesn't revolve around your pathetic whiny ***, Russell.

OK, on your theory I think speed limits on Interstate highways should be no greater than 25 MPH at all times, it will clearly save many lives and if you don't like it then don't drive...

proud gonzo
3/31/2007, 05:14 PM
you're an idiot.

Soonerus
3/31/2007, 06:08 PM
When you reduce yourself to personal attacks you lose...the argument and your credibility....

BlondeSoonerGirl
3/31/2007, 06:09 PM
HAHAHAHAHA111/1/1/1/17785&^%&^E&YSHBN!!!

proud gonzo
3/31/2007, 06:22 PM
When you reduce yourself to personal attacks you lose...the argument and your credibility....it wasn't a personal attack, it was an observation. an "argument" with you is like thumbwrestling the venus de milo.

Blue
3/31/2007, 06:35 PM
it seems like it would be better if there was one community channel that had all the crap and they shared people and technology instead of some ****ing contest about who has the biggest radar and the best coverage

In Atlanta we have a channel like that.NBC affiliate WXIA weather 24/7.

Newbomb Turk
3/31/2007, 07:04 PM
it wasn't a personal attack, it was an observation

observation - nice spin.

:les: no observations allowed on this board.