PDA

View Full Version : Lawn Mower Brands

Mongo
3/29/2007, 05:54 PM
I need to get a new mower. I was thinkin either a Snapper or a Honda.

What say ye?

SoonerTerry
3/29/2007, 06:06 PM
Either are good dependable mowers.

Get the one that you can get the easiest service on..
Good dependable snapper dealer.. get a snapper
Good dependable honda dealer.. get the honda

soonerboomer93
3/29/2007, 06:06 PM
craftsman w/ a honda engine

SoonerTerry
3/29/2007, 06:07 PM
If you can afford it, check out the John Deere walk behind mowers

sanantoniosooner
3/29/2007, 06:09 PM
I'm a Toro guy.
http://static.howstuffworks.com/gif/productImages/9/6/00000114496-ToroSuperRecycler20055PersonalPace3in1gaslawnmower-large.jpeg

olevetonahill
3/29/2007, 06:10 PM
Hire the **** done , then kick back and drink beer
YWIA

Mongo
3/29/2007, 06:10 PM
I'm a Toro guy.

I think it's called a "matador"

jk the sooner fan
3/29/2007, 06:14 PM
i have a toro as well, from home depot, works really well...self propelled

Mjcpr
3/29/2007, 06:18 PM
I have a freakin' Wal Mart mower that's damn near 10 years old and I've never had a bit of trouble with it.

jk the sooner fan
3/29/2007, 06:19 PM
i had one like that too that i got from the PX, till one day i poured gas in the tank and it went straight thru to the ground

i have a Stihl leafblower and the thing ROCKS

Rogue
3/29/2007, 06:19 PM
As long as the engine is either a Briggs & Stratton or a Tecumseh, it's prolly safe. The rest of the "brand" is mostly just stickers and stuff.

sanantoniosooner
3/29/2007, 06:20 PM
I have a reconditioned ryobi weedeater with attachments that I got half price that's been working for 8 years now.

stoops the eternal pimp
3/29/2007, 06:22 PM
As long as the engine is either a Briggs & Stratton or a Tecumseh, it's prolly safe. The rest of the "brand" is mostly just stickers and stuff.

Bingo...

King Crimson
3/29/2007, 06:24 PM
we had a snapper when i was a kid. that thing was gonna last forever. and i had to mow an acre and a half once a week. i also used a couple John Deere's working landscape, those things were tanks.

sanantoniosooner
3/29/2007, 06:25 PM
I would disagree a bit.

Some Briggs or Tecumseh engines are produced to higher standards than others.

I guarantee you that the Briggs on my Toro isn't the same as a Briggs on a $99 mower.

Rogue
3/29/2007, 06:29 PM
I guarantee you that the Briggs on my Toro isn't the same as a Briggs on a $99 mower.

Course not. But you are paying extra for the Toro stickers when you COULD get the same B&S engine that yours has on an off-brand mower for less $$.

But as long as you're just disagreeing "a bit" I'll let it slide. ;)

oumartin
3/29/2007, 06:32 PM
I have owned my snapper for 14 years and it still works great.

I don't recommend Crapsman, but thats me.

oilmud
3/29/2007, 06:42 PM
You get what you pay for. The best mowers made will run you $1000 and you can't get them at the box stores. Buy a honda,snapper or toro commercial.

sanantoniosooner
3/29/2007, 06:54 PM
I got my Toro from a Toro dealer.

I traded in a Toro that I would still be using if I hadn't loaned it to an idiot who put regular gas in a 2 cycle mower. The new one is a 4 cycle.

rufnek05
3/29/2007, 06:59 PM

yep. bought one at a garage sale. works just like new. i'm guessing, but i haven't had any problems with it

Newbomb Turk
3/29/2007, 07:44 PM
I have a freakin' Wal Mart mower that's damn near 10 years old and I've never had a bit of trouble with it.

I finally retired the old Murray I bought from Wal-Mart. It was 15 years old. It still ran fine, but needed a new starter clutch. Basically I just wanted a new mower.

MamaMia
3/29/2007, 07:56 PM
You don't like Honda? :confused:

Sooner24
3/29/2007, 09:33 PM
i have a toro as well, from home depot, works really well...self propelled

Same here.

bluedogok
3/29/2007, 09:36 PM
I gt tired of fighting my old mower and bought a Honda last year.My dad has had his Honda for 20 years with no problems at all.

Williesan
3/29/2007, 10:05 PM
I bought a Troy-Built 6.5 HP mower about 3 springs ago on a closeout at Lowe's. I haven't had one mechanical problem with it. Only real drawbacks are that it doesn't have the bells and whistles of a commercial grade or "dealer" mower, and the bad attachment is small (compared to a Snapper), but it gets the job done. I got the thing on closeout from the previous season and saved about 25% on the "current" model right next to it.

If I had the dinero, I'd be buying a Snapper. We had one when I was in high school. That thing could clean the yard. Literally. Vacuumed leaves off the ground through thick bermuda grass. Mom sold the thing after my dad passed away because she "could not start the d*** thing." :mad:

Just my $0.05.

Williesan

JohnnyMack
3/29/2007, 10:08 PM
I bought a Troy-Built 6.5 HP mower about 3 springs ago on a closeout at Lowe's. I haven't had one mechanical problem with it. Only real drawbacks are that it doesn't have the bells and whistles of a commercial grade or "dealer" mower, and the bad attachment is small (compared to a Snapper), but it gets the job done. I got the thing on closeout from the previous season and saved about 25% on the "current" model right next to it.

If I had the dinero, I'd be buying a Snapper. We had one when I was in high school. That thing could clean the yard. Literally. Vacuumed leaves off the ground through thick bermuda grass. Mom sold the thing after my dad passed away because she "could not start the d*** thing." :mad:

Just my $0.05.

Williesan

MOW MY YARD BI-ATCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You said the attachment is small. Heh.

Newbomb Turk
3/30/2007, 01:38 AM

Just my $0.05.

Williesan

There's some truth here. Those that say "if it's got the same motor, they are all the same" are wrong. There's something to be said about the blade and the deck design - where some mowers will pick up the grass better than others.

King Crimson
3/30/2007, 03:44 AM
not_a_single_go_kart_reference_yet.

bad hillbillies.

SoonerTerry
3/30/2007, 05:18 AM
The John Deere has a BAD @** kawasaki motor on it, but on the non-comercial grade the drive gear on the wheel is plastic, so if you are gonna look at the Deere, look at the comercial.

SoonerTerry
3/30/2007, 05:19 AM
There's some truth here. Those that say "if it's got the same motor, they are all the same" are wrong. There's something to be said about the blade and the deck design - where some mowers will pick up the grass better than others.

True, thats where the snapper shines.. that thing will pull worms outa the dirt.

IB4OU2
3/30/2007, 09:03 AM
I have a Cub Cadet Riding mower that I bought last summer, damn things built like a tank and has two beer holders...flowers beware...

TopDaugIn2000
3/30/2007, 09:18 AM
I have a Lawnboy that my grandpa gave me, he bought it in the late 70s. Works GREAT. starts on the first yank and runs forever.

I_SMELL_FEAR
3/30/2007, 09:44 AM
I've got one of these, going on 3 years and have had zero trouble.

http://www.jackssmallengines.com/Graphics/snapperrer.gif

C&CDean
3/30/2007, 09:48 AM
Pay a little more and buy your quality mower from a small dealer. Service after the sale will RYFO.

Mowers that I own:

Troy-Built 48" rider w/18 HP Kohler motor (average mower)
Snapper self-propelled push mower w/kawasaki 6.5 HP (BEST MOWER EVAR)
Craftsman (I've got 2-3 of them) 5-6.5 HP. Average mowers, OK for small yards, etc.

All of my other equipment (chainsaws, weedeaters, edgers, blowers, etc.) are Stihl. They're expensive, but worth every cent if you're cutting down the forest.

Other good mowers:

Riders:

Cub Cadet, John Deere, Hustler

Push:
Toro, Older Lawn Boys (new ones suck), Honda

The old 2-stroke Lawn Boys were great mowers. Smokey, stinky, but mowing muh****ahs.

TopDaugIn2000
3/30/2007, 09:59 AM
The old 2-stroke Lawn Boys were great mowers. Smokey, stinky, but mowing muh****ahs.

WORD.
Put a new blade on it at the end of last season, I'm ready to ROLL!

bluedogok
3/30/2007, 11:16 AM
I have a Lawnboy that my grandpa gave me, he bought it in the late 70s. Works GREAT. starts on the first yank and runs forever.
I got rid of a 6 year old one when I got the Honda. The Lawn Boy was the biggest piece of junk I ever used. The Lawn Boy before that was a good old mower, I think that is the key point. The old ones were good, the new ones were not.

Turd_Ferguson
3/30/2007, 11:46 AM
I have the Toro personal pace. Bought it at Smiths Lawn and Garden for five hunnert. It Rawks. Spek to the "back in the day Lawnboy", those sumbitches would get after it. I'm not positive, but I think the Toro company makes the Lawnboy's:confused: When I was a kid, we had a Wheel Horse(now Toro)riding mower. It was like a friggen miniature tractor with a brush hog under it.

TF

SoonerTerry
4/20/2007, 04:24 AM
I've got one of these, going on 3 years and have had zero trouble.

http://www.jackssmallengines.com/Graphics/snapperrer.gif

Nice red snapper..

MamaMia
4/20/2007, 05:55 AM
I have mowed my own lawn 3 times now and I love my rear bagging, push propelled Sears Craftman with the Honda motor.

VeeJay
4/20/2007, 06:18 AM

You said yank.

VeeJay
4/20/2007, 06:21 AM
I have a Craftsman with a B&S. Three years old.

Works great, starts on the first yank, too. I get wore out if I yank too much.

:cool:

TUSooner
4/20/2007, 07:20 AM
I have an "MTD" for more than 10 years. One of the best buys I've ever made. And they are made in Cleveland, USA, I think.

SoonerJack
4/20/2007, 08:27 AM
Toro "self" propelled for me. Only in the thick bluegrass/fescue mix that is my yard, I do most of the propelling my"self". Now this thing pulls like a donkey on concrete, but in the grass, not so much.

Can I hear a shout out for Bermuda? I don't know what I miss more about living in Oklahoma, Braum's or Bermuda grass.

Howzit
4/20/2007, 08:42 AM
I have a Toro that, after 18 years, is ready for that great lawn in the sky.

I'll probably either go another Toro or a Honda.

Mongo
4/20/2007, 09:35 AM
I went with a snapper. my pops has had one that lasted about twenty years.
got it from the local shop that also has done repairs for us. Got a great deal on it to.

Howzit
4/20/2007, 09:42 AM
That wasn't one of the options I presented you.

You're on your own from here.

Mongo
4/20/2007, 09:45 AM
I'll pay you $40 to mow my lawn in a bikini

StoopTroup
4/20/2007, 09:45 AM
Go all out and get one of these babies....

You don't have to get off it except to fuel it.

www.walkermowers.com (http://www.walkermowers.com/index.htm1?section=products)

Pay special attention to the grasscatcher...it's the shiznitz.

BlondeSoonerGirl
4/20/2007, 10:47 AM
I'll pay you $40 to mow my lawn in a bikini

I'll double it if he wears the hat in your avvie...

:eddie:

TheHumanAlphabet
4/20/2007, 11:10 AM
My Honda Harmony is the best ever! It is 10 years old and going strong!

85Sooner
4/20/2007, 11:28 AM
Manuel

Newbomb Turk
4/20/2007, 07:27 PM
I've used my new Toro 3 times now. I don't like it.

I liked my old Murray better. It had half the horsepower, and picked up grass better. I hate the way a bunch of the grass clippings don't make it into the bag on the Toro - when you go to dump the bag.

sanantoniosooner
4/20/2007, 07:34 PM
My wife doesn't struggle with our Toro.