PDA

View Full Version : Whachu be puttin in yo salsa?

1stTimeCaller
3/29/2007, 05:50 PM
When I make my own I use Roma tomatoes, tomatillos, serrano peppers, jalapeno peppers, red or white onions, cilantro, lime juice, garlic, salt and bell peppers.

most of the time.

StuIsTheMan
3/29/2007, 05:52 PM
When I make my own I use Roma tomatoes, tomatillos, serrano peppers, jalapeno peppers, red or white onions, cilantro, lime juice, garlic, salt and bell peppers.

most of the time.

Must not be any good if your sharin...You go to keep it Secret...shhhhhhh...besides they are covering this in the other thread already;)

1stTimeCaller
3/29/2007, 05:53 PM
yo momma be likin' it.

King Crimson
3/29/2007, 06:22 PM

most of the time.

sounds like all ya need. sometimes a little ground cumin.

Roma toms are the shizz. way better than pumped full of water honey pokey toms everyone buys...that usually cost more per pound (water weight, thank you very much).

sanantoniosooner
3/29/2007, 06:23 PM
You aren't fooling anyone.

stoops the eternal pimp
3/29/2007, 06:23 PM
i like to put my fingers in the salsa

Fraggle145
3/29/2007, 07:51 PM
throw a little olive oil in there...

I use Garlic, red onions, Roma's, cilantro, jalapenos, habaneros (+/- mangos depending on the mood), Avocados (if I feel frisky), lime juice, salt, a dash of black pepper and olive oil.

LilSooner
3/29/2007, 07:53 PM
All I'm gonna say is Hunts Whole Tomatoes.

That's it and that's all man.

King Crimson
3/29/2007, 08:00 PM
All I'm gonna say is Hunts Whole Tomatoes.

That's it and that's all man.

naw. even with all those yellowing uncut tops and such?

no way. Hunt's is the suck.

generic brands are just as good, S&W crushed toms are about the best....for salsa and cheapo pasta sauce.

MamaMia
3/29/2007, 08:13 PM
I use home grown tomatoes if I have them, Roma's if I don't. I process the tomatoes a day ahead and drain any excess clear tomato liquid through a cheese cloth the following morning before I make the salsa. I just add Bermuda onion, jalapenos, Anaheim's, garlic, cilantro, salt and lime.

JohnnyMack
3/29/2007, 08:15 PM
Weed.

It's good. Try it.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
3/29/2007, 11:00 PM
Look at you all domesticated and ****.

Tailwind
3/29/2007, 11:10 PM
Can't tell....ancient Mexican secret. But it's hot and it's really good.

Harry Beanbag
3/29/2007, 11:24 PM
throw a little olive oil in there...

I use Garlic, red onions, Roma's, cilantro, jalapenos, habaneros (+/- mangos depending on the mood), Avocados (if I feel frisky), lime juice, salt, a dash of black pepper and olive oil.

You don't put ****ing garlic or olive oil in salsa, everything else is okay (except for the mangos and avocados).

proud gonzo
3/29/2007, 11:28 PM
chips

http://www.hometownfavorites.com/images/items/Large/hfsa126.jpg

Fraggle145
3/30/2007, 01:00 AM
You don't put ****ing garlic or olive oil in salsa, everything else is okay (except for the mangos and avocados).

hey I thought it way ghey too before I did it... now, well the gheys were on to something that **** tastes good. The olive oil helps the heat from the peppers permeate the rest of the salsa. Teh mangos give a nice sweet flavor so you can make it hot as ****. The avocdos, well I just ****ing like avocados.

Harry Beanbag
3/30/2007, 06:24 AM
hey I thought it way ghey too before I did it... now, well the gheys were on to something that **** tastes good. The olive oil helps the heat from the peppers permeate the rest of the salsa. Teh mangos give a nice sweet flavor so you can make it hot as ****. The avocdos, well I just ****ing like avocados.

Oh I love avocados too, seems like they would get really mushy in salsa though. Mangos, eh I don't know, I'd have to try it. But olive oil and garlic sounds like Italian food to me. I've had salsa with garlic and it just tasted like spaghetti sauce.

Petro-Sooner
3/30/2007, 09:10 AM
I tried making salsa once. After it was made I decided it wasnt worth the effort.

BlondeSoonerGirl
3/30/2007, 09:12 AM
Pickling salt makes it tastier.

Not sure why...

TopDaugIn2000
3/30/2007, 09:15 AM
I freakin HATE cilantro. that $$$$ tastes like soap. icky.

TopDaugIn2000
3/30/2007, 09:16 AM
and a former roomie used to make it with canned tomatoes. it was the succs

canned tomatoes...what's the point of MAKING salsa if you're gonna use CANNED TOMATOES?!?!?!?!?!

OU4LIFE
3/30/2007, 09:17 AM
I usually put chips in mine. Then I remove the chip and eat it. It's seems like the best way.

OU4LIFE
3/30/2007, 09:18 AM
oh, and on a serious note, I have a friend that owns a messican restaraunt, and his wife showed me how to make my own. It's the shizzle. Ask IB4OU2.

TopDaugIn2000
3/30/2007, 09:18 AM
I usually put chips in mine. Then I remove the chip and eat it. It's seems like the best way.

makes sense.

LilSooner
3/30/2007, 09:38 AM
and a former roomie used to make it with canned tomatoes. it was the succs

canned tomatoes...what's the point of MAKING salsa if you're gonna use CANNED TOMATOES?!?!?!?!?!

Every one who has ever tasted my salsa disagrees with you. When my mom owned the restaurant people would ask her to sell them the salsa.

She has also been approached several times to make it her own business.

I may have to bring some salsa to the tailgate just to prove you guys wrong.

C&CDean
3/30/2007, 09:38 AM
We don't even make salsa until the garden is kicking. Salsa with storebought ingredients is pretty much Pace.

Here's how my WIFE makes it:

Fresh tomatoes (roma tomatoes suck ***). Fresh jalapenos & habaneros. Sometimes some anaheim or other peppers too for color. Fresh onion. Lime juice. Salt & pepper. CILANTRO. Salsa without cilantro isn't worth eating.

And why do so many ****in' hillbillies not like cilantro? It's because they've lived sheltered lives where anything that doesn't taste like corn or white gravy is "hot" or "spicy" or "nasty." Thai food is full of the stuff too. Cilantro is your friend. Your colon will thank you.

C&CDean
3/30/2007, 09:39 AM
I may have to bring some salsa to the tailgate just to prove you guys wrong.

pppaaashhhaaahhhh right. That'd mean you actually would have to come to a tailgate.

OU4LIFE
3/30/2007, 09:42 AM
We don't even make salsa until the garden is kicking. Salsa with storebought ingredients is pretty much Pace.

Here's how my WIFE makes it:

Fresh tomatoes (roma tomatoes suck ***). Fresh jalapenos & habaneros. Sometimes some anaheim or other peppers too for color. Fresh onion. Lime juice. Salt & pepper. CILANTRO. Salsa without cilantro isn't worth eating.

And why do so many ****in' hillbillies not like cilantro? It's because they've lived sheltered lives where anything that doesn't taste like corn or white gravy is "hot" or "spicy" or "nasty." Thai food is full of the stuff too. Cilantro is your friend. Your colon will thank you.

ya know, I don't think there's a day go's by that my colon doesn't thank you.

LilSooner
3/30/2007, 09:42 AM
pppaaashhhaaahhhh right. That'd mean you actually would have to come to a tailgate.

Hey at least we came to see you before a tailgate last year, and besides we have our own across the street from Louie's. And I agree salsa with out cilantro is the suck, and the best is when it come out of your own garden.

Jerk
3/30/2007, 09:43 AM

most of the time.

I just hope you wash your hands real well before doing this.

C&CDean
3/30/2007, 09:51 AM
Hey at least we came to see you before a tailgate last year, and besides we have our own across the street from Louie's. And I agree salsa with out cilantro is the suck, and the best is when it come out of your own garden.

You did stop and say hello one time last year, I'll give you that. And if you just wanna drop some of your salsa by and leave, I'm good with that too:P

IB4OU2
3/30/2007, 09:58 AM
oh, and on a serious note, I have a friend that owns a messican restaraunt, and his wife showed me how to make my own. It's the shizzle. Ask IB4OU2.

It is and so is Juanita.

C&CDean
3/30/2007, 10:03 AM
Oh yeah, I almost forgot. My wife canned habaneros this past year. Lots of them. If any of you remember the nuclear elk chili from the tailgate last year it had a few of these same habaneros in it (before pickling). Anyhow, I broke open the first jar the other night. Slapped a small habanero ring on my pizza slice and chomped in. If you like very tasty, sweet delicious peppers that will flat light your *** on fire, these would be the ticket. Now, I just take a single ring out, slice it in 4 small pieces, and then put one of the little pieces on whatever I'm eating and it's tolerable. ****ers are HOTTT. Seriously so. I'll have some at the tailgate.

OU4LIFE
3/30/2007, 10:06 AM
Oh yeah, I almost forgot. My wife canned habaneros this past year. Lots of them. If any of you remember the nuclear elk chili from the tailgate last year it had a few of these same habaneros in it (before pickling). Anyhow, I broke open the first jar the other night. Slapped a small habanero ring on my pizza slice and chomped in. If you like very tasty, sweet delicious peppers that will flat light your *** on fire, these would be the ticket. Now, I just take a single ring out, slice it in 4 small pieces, and then put one of the little pieces on whatever I'm eating and it's tolerable. ****ers are HOTTT. Seriously so. I'll have some at the tailgate.

a few? a FEW? Dude, the chili was ****ing FLOATING in them. It was like you were trying to flavor your peppers with a dash of chili.

C&CDean
3/30/2007, 10:08 AM
a few? a FEW? Dude, the chili was ****ing FLOATING in them. It was like you were trying to flavor your peppers with a dash of chili.

wuss.

OU4LIFE
3/30/2007, 10:09 AM
:D

dude, I STILL can't taste some stuff because of that ****.

C&CDean
3/30/2007, 10:12 AM
:D

dude, I STILL can't taste some stuff because of that ****.

It was pretty good if you mixed it 50-50 with the wimpy chili.

These pickled habaneros are even hotter than those fresh ones. They taste really, really good, but one slice will make your face burn from your nose to your chin.

jk the sooner fan
3/30/2007, 10:15 AM
i like a "little" cilantro, but too much of a good thing can be bad - some salsas rely on cilantro only and it overpowers the rest of the taste - not good

sanantoniosooner
3/30/2007, 10:56 AM
Are you paying royalties to PG for stealing her post?
http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1846671&postcount=15

OU4LIFE
3/30/2007, 11:33 AM
Are you paying royalties to PG for stealing her post?
http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1846671&postcount=15

well no, mine was obviously more in depth and better thought out than hers.

Harry Beanbag
3/30/2007, 04:46 PM
Cilantro is the key to good salsa.