PDA

View Full Version : This is worse than last years fence moving

slickdawg
3/29/2007, 01:21 PM
First, let me say **** YOU CHINA!

We bought this for Slickdaughter:

http://graphics.samsclub.com/images/products/0752113600713_L4.jpg

Not until you open the box do you see the instructions and the statement:

ASSEMBLY REQUIRES TWO MODERATELY SKILLED INDIVIDUALS.

Gross understatement, as this ****in' thing is in 8,000,000,000 pieces.

What really ****es me off is that I know there's 1,000,000 Chinamen laughing their asses off "Stoopid Americans Try To Put This Together! HA HA!! **** YOU AMERICANS!!!!

I'm about to put the roof on before the rain starts.

SoonerBorn68
3/29/2007, 01:23 PM
Mrs. '68's been pestering me to buy one of those things for the past couple of years.

Hopefully she'll get tired of me laughing in her face.

Newbomb Turk
3/29/2007, 01:27 PM
I think that thing is nicer than my house.

StuIsTheMan
3/29/2007, 01:27 PM
"You be here tree hower...no mo food...you go now..."

NormanPride
3/29/2007, 01:30 PM
At least she'll enjoy it for the three more years she'll fit inside it. :D

JohnnyMack
3/29/2007, 01:30 PM
I got my kid a rock to play with.

He don't know the difference.

frankensooner
3/29/2007, 01:32 PM
I have a smaller version of that I got at Sams a few several years back. This past weekend I cut the roof off the sucka. Now even I can fit in it! ;)

SoonerGirl06
3/29/2007, 01:32 PM
The picture itself should've given you a clue that it was going to be a complicated project... ;)

Seriously... I helped a friend put one together for his daughter... which basically means I stood by and watched. :D

sanantoniosooner
3/29/2007, 01:34 PM
I could put that together in my sleep.:)

SicEmBaylor
3/29/2007, 01:47 PM
Do you need my help?

Hamhock
3/29/2007, 01:53 PM
heh...i'm halfway putting together that exact thing.

Sam's??

Mjcpr
3/29/2007, 01:54 PM
I thought this thread was going to be a Family Guy clip.

skycat
3/29/2007, 01:55 PM
A small one of those came with our house.

sucker

OU4LIFE
3/29/2007, 01:58 PM
I_SMELL_FEAR just bought one of those things.

I think it's an epidemic.

I_SMELL_FEAR
3/29/2007, 02:02 PM
yes I did...the exact same one. Im currently looking for the 2 moderately skilled people.

I was hoping to get it put up last weekend, but I laid sod for it instead (new house, no grass yet where its going)..now Im just waiting for the rain to stop.

I_SMELL_FEAR
3/29/2007, 02:04 PM
I didnt think one 2 year old girl needed something that big, but I got to thinking it would be a nice place to go if the wife kicks me out for the night...

Scott D
3/29/2007, 02:04 PM
but is it worse than the movie "True Stories"?

BlondeSoonerGirl
3/29/2007, 02:05 PM
yes I did...the exact same one. Im currently looking for the 2 moderately skilled people.

I was hoping to get it put up last weekend, but I laid sod for it instead (new house, no grass yet where its going)..now Im just waiting for the rain to stop.

4LIFE is such a bastard for not helping you with this.

Hamhock
3/29/2007, 02:06 PM
i'd inventory the wood before you get started. i had several broken pieces that they have to ship.

Scott D
3/29/2007, 02:07 PM
4LIFE is such a bastard for not helping you with this.

he said moderately skilled....not moderately hairy ;)

I_SMELL_FEAR
3/29/2007, 02:10 PM
I think 4life is going to help, of course as the weather gets nicer he will be busier with his own oddjobs....and by oddjobs I mean golf.

I_SMELL_FEAR
3/29/2007, 02:12 PM
i'd inventory the wood before you get started. i had several broken pieces that they have to ship.

I thought about that, but have not been brave enough to start..

StoopTroup
3/29/2007, 02:14 PM
I hope you have a cordless Dewalt drill and some screwdriver bits.

Make sure the batteries are charged...

LMAO....

OU4LIFE
3/29/2007, 02:19 PM
he said moderately skilled....not moderately hairy ;)

YEAH, I'm neither of those. :)

slickdawg
3/29/2007, 02:59 PM
Do you need my help?

Oh, now you offer, slacker. :D

THE ROOF IS ON!!!!!!

slickdawg
3/29/2007, 03:00 PM
I hope you have a cordless Dewalt drill and some screwdriver bits.

Make sure the batteries are charged...

LMAO....

Makita 18V LiON, two extra batteries, and it is the shiznit.

slickdawg
3/29/2007, 03:02 PM
Mrs. '68's been pestering me to buy one of those things for the past couple of years.

Well, the thing that keeps me working on it is when slickdaughter sees it, she's beyond giggly happy.

If you need me to talk to Mrs 68, I'll be glad to tell her of the agony.

:texan:

jk the sooner fan
3/29/2007, 03:04 PM
I got my kid a rock to play with.

He don't know the difference.

just wait till he's older and you buy him the latest 'craze' toy, and he spends more time playing with the box than the actual toy itself

JohnnyMack
3/29/2007, 03:24 PM
just wait till he's older and you buy him the latest 'craze' toy, and he spends more time playing with the box than the actual toy itself

Well I hope so.

I remember getting yelled at one Christmas for playing with the boxes my new Star Wars stuff came in instead of the stuff itself.

:D

Osce0la
3/29/2007, 03:25 PM
Oh, now you offer, slacker. :D

THE ROOF IS ON!!!!!!
ummm...you do realize this is SicEm asking if you need help right? The same guy that had to ask the SO how to jump start his car...Do you really want Slickdaughter playing on that thing after SicEm helped build it?

Not to mention the sight of a female around while he was trying to build it would have him running down the street sweating bullets because a female came with 3 feet of him...:rolleyes:

IB4OU2
3/29/2007, 03:55 PM

We bought this for Slickdaughter:

Not until you open the box do you see the instructions and the statement:

ASSEMBLY REQUIRES TWO MODERATELY SKILLED INDIVIDUALS.

Gross understatement, as this ****in' thing is in 8,000,000,000 pieces.

What really ****es me off is that I know there's 1,000,000 Chinamen laughing their asses off "Stoopid Americans Try To Put This Together! HA HA!! **** YOU AMERICANS!!!!

I'm about to put the roof on before the rain starts.

Lincoln Logs?......I used to play with those when I was a kid.

slickdawg
3/29/2007, 04:30 PM
ummm...you do realize this is SicEm asking if you need help right? The same guy that had to ask the SO how to jump start his car...Do you really want Slickdaughter playing on that thing after SicEm helped build it?

Not to mention the sight of a female around while he was trying to build it would have him running down the street sweating bullets because a female came with 3 feet of him...:rolleyes:

Somebody can fetch me a coke or some water!

SicEmBaylor
3/29/2007, 04:54 PM
Somebody can fetch me a coke or some water!

If it's overcast it'll take me 9 hours to get to the fridge and back.

slickdawg
3/29/2007, 04:56 PM
If it's overcast it'll take me 9 hours to get to the fridge and back.

Worse than I thought.

By the way, I see that Baylor lost at home in bazebawl to Mississippi State - y'all must really suck.

SicEmBaylor
3/29/2007, 04:58 PM
Worse than I thought.

By the way, I see that Baylor lost at home in bazebawl to Mississippi State - y'all must really suck.

Not really. Baylor is typically at the top of the Big XII in baseball with UT and Nebraska.

We went pretty far in the College World Series just two years ago. Every team has a bad game.

slickdawg
3/29/2007, 04:59 PM
Not really. Baylor is typically at the top of the Big XII in baseball with UT and Nebraska.

We went pretty far in the College World Series just two years ago. Every team has a bad game.

Steve Smith, your coach, is a protege' of Ron Polk, the a$$hole that used to
rund a powerhouse program and has now run it in the ground.

there's even a fireronpolk.com page now - well, since last year. the stadium is named after him.

85Sooner
3/29/2007, 05:06 PM
My dad and I put it together last year. took about 9 hours. Separate all the bolts and nuts and washers and it goes much much faster.

Frozen Sooner
3/29/2007, 05:12 PM
I have a smaller version of that I got at Sams a few several years back. This past weekend I cut the roof off the sucka. Now even I can fit in it! ;)

We got a real sorta thing goin' down gettin' down
We got a whole lot of rhythm goin' down.

soonerboomer93
3/29/2007, 06:13 PM
Well, the thing that keeps me working on it is when slickdaughter sees it, she's beyond giggly happy.

If you need me to talk to Mrs 68, I'll be glad to tell her of the agony.

being that she's female, that just might provide extra motivation to Mrs 68 for wanting one

soonerboomer93
3/29/2007, 06:16 PM

which was the brilliance behind him offering to help, and the acceptance

I swear, some people are just so ready to bash on sicem that they fail to see it when he bashes himself.

SoonerStormchaser
3/29/2007, 06:26 PM
Do you need my help?

You can't even pick up chicks...what makes you think he's gonna trust you with power tools and lumber?

Cam
3/29/2007, 09:04 PM

My wife too. I've been dodging that bullet for a while. At some point I'm gonna have to take one for the team, and I ain't lookin forward to it.

Scott D
3/29/2007, 09:18 PM
My wife too. I've been dodging that bullet for a while. At some point I'm gonna have to take one for the team, and I ain't lookin forward to it.

just remember to ask yourself, "What would Zizou do?" :D

Osce0la
3/30/2007, 07:09 AM
which was the brilliance behind him offering to help, and the acceptance

I swear, some people are just so ready to bash on sicem that they fail to see it when he bashes himself.
:O

3/30/2007, 07:19 AM
I assembled a similar project for our kiddos a few years ago. Not much later, I realized things in OUR yard weren't near as appealing as things in the yards of other people.

Still, it makes a neat thing to mow around.

I_SMELL_FEAR
3/30/2007, 09:49 AM
so Im thinking about putting mine up on small concrete footing...

A. easy to level
B. keep the wood out of standing water

thoughts???? anyone else dont it like that...

Hamhock
3/30/2007, 09:54 AM

A. easy to level

it requires that you drive some stakes into the ground and bolt the stakes to the bottom frame. you may want to put the stakes into the footing.

my ground is nowhere near level....

C&CDean
3/30/2007, 09:58 AM
Let me tell you how I did it when my guys were little.

When my second boy was about 3, he was always in my tool box. So, I bought him a set of tools for Christmas that year. He helped me put the other kids' bicycles together with them - then promptly tore them all apart with his new set of tools.

So, I had some scrap lumber laying around and one day I came home and he had built a little fort. So, when they started wanting a tree house I just brought home some lumber and said "have at it." You'd be amazed what they engineered. Certainly not OSHA approved, and dad did have to come in and add a brace or two, but very cool none-the-less.

That boy is now an electrician and still tears **** apart.

And what jk said is the gospel truth. If you really want to buy something your kids will enjoy, go buy a new refridgerator......and give the kid the box it came in. They'll get more fun and learning out of that box than they'll ever get out of that $500 video game.

OU4LIFE
3/30/2007, 10:02 AM

A. easy to level

yeah dude, we could dig out and pour footings for it, and set the straps in the concrete.

easy peasy...as long as you don't mind a little hair in your concrete.

I_SMELL_FEAR
3/30/2007, 10:04 AM
it requires that you drive some stakes into the ground and bolt the stakes to the bottom frame. you may want to put the stakes into the footing.

my ground is nowhere near level....

yeah, I was thinking with the wind we have I will prolly concrete the stakes in the ground

SicEmBaylor
3/30/2007, 10:04 AM

When my second boy was about 3, he was always in my tool box. So, I bought him a set of tools for Christmas that year. He helped me put the other kids' bicycles together with them - then promptly tore them all apart with his new set of tools.

So, I had some scrap lumber laying around and one day I came home and he had built a little fort. So, when they started wanting a tree house I just brought home some lumber and said "have at it." You'd be amazed what they engineered. Certainly not OSHA approved, and dad did have to come in and add a brace or two, but very cool none-the-less.

And what jk said is the gospel truth. If you really want to buy something your kids will enjoy, go buy a new refridgerator......and give the kid the box it came in. They'll get more fun and learning out of that box than they'll ever get out of that $500 video game.

But this is a girl he has...I'm not sure a three year old girl is going to get the same kick out of tools and lumber that a boy might.

Xstnlsooner
3/30/2007, 10:08 AM

I got yor won ton soup sucka!!!

C&CDean
3/30/2007, 10:09 AM
But this is a girl he has...I'm not sure a three year old girl is going to get the same kick out of tools and lumber that a boy might.

Then he should buy her a ****ing doll.

Osce0la
3/30/2007, 10:11 AM

Not to mention the fridge is probably still going to be cheaper than the Fort Knox Slickdawg is building right now...

OU4LIFE
3/30/2007, 10:14 AM
Then he should buy her a ****ing doll.

is this advice for Sic'em?

get it....**** doll.....

C&CDean
3/30/2007, 10:37 AM
is this advice for Sic'em?

get it....**** doll.....

Except he'd leave it half deflated on the couch as he drove 200 miles the wrong way looking for some politician's speech.

Okla-homey
3/30/2007, 10:45 AM
I take it there were no messicans hanging around the Lowe's where you bought said item? What good are illegal immigrants if $50 cash and a case of Bud heavy can't get a flippin' playset assembled in 6 hours?

sheesh.

BlondeSoonerGirl
3/30/2007, 11:12 AM

One time, my parents bought a new washing machine and my brother and I swiped the box. It was one of those that had the really thick cardboard and a pine frame.

We took the box and nailed it to a tree in the backyard. Then we stole some shingles from the garage and shingled the entire thing. We cut out windows and made a door out of a crappy old gate. We made us a hillbilly house and we played in that thing until it fell apart.

We thought it was the best thing ever. It looked like a giant armadillo standing upright with it's mouth open...and we loved it.

C&CDean
3/30/2007, 11:13 AM
One time, my parents bought a new washing machine and my brother and I swiped the box. It was one of those that had the really thick cardboard and a pine frame.

We took the box and nailed it to a tree in the backyard. Then we stole some shingles from the garage and shingled the entire thing. We cut out windows and made a door out of a crappy old gate. We made us a hillbilly house and we played in that thing until it fell apart.

We thought it was the best thing ever. It looked like a giant armadillo standing upright with it's mouth open...and we loved it.

Yup. And when you're little it's a play house. When you become a teenager it's a score house.

slickdawg
3/30/2007, 11:14 AM

you have the right attitude.

I'm about to die.

BlondeSoonerGirl
3/30/2007, 11:15 AM
Oh, and my Dad was really mad at us for using all 275 boxes of his nails.

Heh.

slickdawg
3/30/2007, 11:16 AM

Oh, she does. If I turn my back on her for one second, I see this sweet little girl in her princess pajamas running off with my screwdriver or hammer, or whatever tool I'm using. She is a mega flashlight thief.

Scott D
3/30/2007, 11:50 AM
Except he'd leave it half deflated on the couch as he drove 200 miles the wrong way looking for some politician's speech.

*snap*snap*snap*snap*snap*

Hamhock
3/30/2007, 11:52 AM
yeah, I was thinking with the wind we have I will prolly concrete the stakes in the ground

i'm not sure it's required. in fact, i didn't do it yet because i have a lot of rock just below the soil.

i don't see the wind blowing it over. it has the slide and ladder to help stabilize it.

StuIsTheMan
3/30/2007, 11:55 AM
i'm not sure it's required. in fact, i didn't do it yet because i have a lot of rock just below the soil.

i don't see the wind blowing it over. it has the slide and ladder to help stabilize it.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17870171/

just say'n

Hamhock
3/30/2007, 11:58 AM
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17870171/

just say'n

if a twister comes through, the cheap wood that thing is made of will fold like match sticks, stake or no stake.

slickdawg
3/30/2007, 01:28 PM

That little green tunnel above the swings? It's roughly a 5' by 5' sheet of plastic you have to fold over and put in place with about 10 boards.

Here, the chinese bastards say "the more people you have to help do this, the merrier"

Try it by yourself in 20MPH + winds mother ****ers.

OU4LIFE
3/30/2007, 01:32 PM
I'm tellin you right now, I'd have a Goddamned chinese come-apart on that damn thing inside of an hour.

RacerX
3/30/2007, 01:37 PM
It takes at least 3 skilled people and it is a blast to mow around.

http://img160.imageshack.us/img160/8272/dscn1906snq3.jpg

C&CDean
3/30/2007, 01:40 PM
No fair. You used cheap convict labor.

jk the sooner fan
3/30/2007, 01:46 PM
thank the lord the army had playgrounds all over the housing areas, because i'd never have been able to get one of those damn things together

Osce0la
3/30/2007, 02:19 PM
thank the lord the army had playgrounds all over the housing areas, because i'd never have been able to get one of those damn things together
those weren't playgrounds, they were supposed to be used for basic training and boot camp...

skycat
3/30/2007, 02:20 PM
Get over that wall kid!

slickdawg
3/30/2007, 02:31 PM
Rain rain everwhere BUT HERE.

I'd cease construction for rain, we're in a freakin' drought!

Everyone is getting rain but us - so much for that 100%

Hamhock
3/30/2007, 02:35 PM
It takes at least 3 skilled people and it is a blast to mow around.

http://img160.imageshack.us/img160/8272/dscn1906snq3.jpg

is that made by leisure time? it looks like the same company slickdawg and i are putting together.

Osce0la
3/30/2007, 02:36 PM
We haven't gotten too much here in Birmingham lately either. EVARYTHING is COVERED in pollen. We washed one of our cars Saturday evening and by Sunday morning the damn thing was solid yellow again. We are breaking record highs every day nearly. Meteoroligist said the other day that our high for that day was the average high for June 10 :eek:

slickdawg
3/30/2007, 02:38 PM
That's GOT to be made by lesiure time - the pieces are identical.

All 8,000,000,000 of them.

RacerX
3/30/2007, 04:11 PM
Yep. Bought it at Sams.

They're selling this one (http://www.samsclub.com/shopping/navigate.do?catg=535&item=205644&prDeTab=2#A) now.

http://graphics.samsclub.com/images/products/0075211360061_L2.jpg

Hamhock
3/30/2007, 04:21 PM
Yep. Bought it at Sams.

They're selling this one (http://www.samsclub.com/shopping/navigate.do?catg=535&item=205644&prDeTab=2#A) now.

http://graphics.samsclub.com/images/products/0075211360061_L2.jpg

they have a different one on display now. it is the one in slick's original post.

slickdawg
3/31/2007, 03:00 PM
MOTHER ****ER!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THE GAWD DAMMMMMED CHINESE HAVE ****ED ME AGAIN!!!!!!!

See the little fence rails at the very bottom:

I don't have enough screws to put them on.

Off to Lowe's to buy some more ****ing screws.

I guess I could take the whole damned thing back to Sam's and request a refund because it's missing screws.

But I can't, Slickdaughter played on it this afternoon and had the time of her life. :D

Scott D
3/31/2007, 03:04 PM
It's 4pm on a Saturday and *I* don't have to build a playground for my daughter :D

RacerX
4/1/2007, 03:00 PM
I think a trip to lowes was in order when I put mine together.

one of the upper floor supports was severly warped (they sent me a new one), but I bought a piece of treated lumber that night. I probably had to buy a few screws or bolts. Don't remember.

Hamhock
4/2/2007, 07:59 AM
one of the upper floor supports was severly warped (they sent me a new one), but I bought a piece of treated lumber that night. I probably had to buy a few screws or bolts. Don't remember.

same thing happened to me. except the floor joist split. i bought some treated lumber but it was about 10x heavier than the cypress they send you.

i'm on step 71...woohoo!!

85Sooner
4/2/2007, 11:19 AM
What P!sses me off is these all have the monkey bars for kids to climb along. problem is when they get to the end (near the main structure) there is no way for the kids to get off other than to fall 6 ft. Stupid engineering unless you want to stand there for an hour helping your kid get down.

stoopified
4/2/2007, 12:25 PM
i'd inventory the wood before you get started. i had several broken pieces that they have to ship.If you can keep breaking pieces thhat they have to ship you from China maybe you can stall until the child outgrows it.:) I have a threeyear old boy and another boy due a t the end of the month so let me know if the stalling tactic works.

Sooner_Bob
4/2/2007, 12:33 PM
I'm so glad our house already had something like that in the backyard when we bought it.

Taxman71
4/2/2007, 02:00 PM
I want to know more about putting one of these up on a sloped yard. I still don't see how it is done without building a small retaining wall.

Hamhock
4/2/2007, 02:05 PM
What P!sses me off is these all have the monkey bars for kids to climb along. problem is when they get to the end (near the main structure) there is no way for the kids to get off other than to fall 6 ft. Stupid engineering unless you want to stand there for an hour helping your kid get down.

look at the picture ya idjit. ;) there's no monkey bars on this one.

Hamhock
4/2/2007, 02:06 PM
If you can keep breaking pieces thhat they have to ship you from China maybe you can stall until the child outgrows it.:) I have a threeyear old boy and another boy due a t the end of the month so let me know if the stalling tactic works.

these parts are shipped from nw arkansas

quit be a derelict parent and buy one!! :texan:

Hamhock
4/3/2007, 09:06 PM
why can't the damn roof slats come pre-drilled like the other 38,000 pieces?

i'm terrible at measuring and drilling..8 holes per slat, 25 slats.....

sanantoniosooner
4/3/2007, 09:12 PM
why can't the damn roof slats come pre-drilled like the other 38,000 pieces?

i'm terrible at measuring and drilling..8 holes per slat, 25 slats.....
That's 200 holes.

Let me know when you need some more assistance.

Soonerus
4/3/2007, 09:34 PM
That's 200 holes.

very difficult calculation....

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
4/3/2007, 10:20 PM
But this is a girl he has...I'm not sure a three year old girl is going to get the same kick out of tools and lumber that a boy might.You've obviously never met my niece. She was my Dad's apprentice and even helped tear down my carport when she was 4.

SicEmBaylor
4/3/2007, 11:09 PM
You've obviously never met my niece. She was my Dad's apprentice and even helped tear down my carport when she was 4.

My sister is sorta like that too.
She's the boy in the family.

Hamhock
4/4/2007, 07:49 AM

why, so you can refer me to google? ;)

sanantoniosooner
4/4/2007, 07:56 AM
why, so you can refer me to google? ;)
Did I tell you to google how many holes that was?

No.

I busted out my gahzintas to be of assistance.

HskrGrl
4/4/2007, 05:44 PM
Amatures

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f3/jessisfarks/playset.jpg

mdklatt
4/4/2007, 06:03 PM
Amatures

How many freakin' kids do you have? :eek:

OU4LIFE
4/5/2007, 07:17 AM
looks like about 23.

man, I bet that thing is worn out. and I ain't talkin about the jungle jim.

Hamhock
4/5/2007, 07:46 AM
Amatures

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f3/jessisfarks/playset.jpg

I was checking out these toys at the home and garden show in tulsa. The guy in front of me was signing an invoice for $13,000. It's amazing what some people spend on these things.

I_SMELL_FEAR
4/5/2007, 09:41 AM
okay, the instructions say "two moderately skilled people required"...it does not say anything about the freaking psychic to tell you what board is what. Box 3 and box 4 can both suck my...

OU4LIFE
4/5/2007, 09:43 AM
I think that is God's little way of telling me not to help you.

Hamhock
4/5/2007, 09:45 AM
okay, the instructions say "two moderately skilled people required"...it does not say anything about the freaking psychic to tell you what board is what. Box 3 and box 4 can both suck my...

i like how they left the factory with little green labels attached to each board, only to arrive at my house with all the little green labels laying in the bottom of the boxes.

the board diagram at the front of the instructions is your friend...

I_SMELL_FEAR
4/5/2007, 09:47 AM
Im taking tomorrow off just to go through every board and label them...oh there are a few labeled and there are a few labels laying on the bottom of the box but.....then hopefully this weekend I can do some actual constructing.

I_SMELL_FEAR
4/5/2007, 09:48 AM
i like how they left the factory with little green labels attached to each board, only to arrive at my house with all the little green labels laying in the bottom of the boxes.

the board diagram at the front of the instructions is your friend...

yes, I know what you mean...if it wasnt for that and the box contents sheets I would napalm China.

OU4LIFE
4/5/2007, 09:56 AM
OUT

I_SMELL_FEAR
4/5/2007, 10:00 AM
oh, by the time you get involved every thing will be organized and the beer will be cold.

OU4LIFE
4/5/2007, 10:03 AM
IN

Hamhock
4/5/2007, 10:08 AM
Im taking tomorrow off just to go through every board and label them...oh there are a few labeled and there are a few labels laying on the bottom of the box but.....then hopefully this weekend I can do some actual constructing.

i was gonna do this, but i don't think it is really necessary. there aren't that many boards with the same measurements that go in different steps. in hindsight, i'm glad i didn't take the time to label them and instead relied on the pictures, board listing and box contents.

one thing that definitely helped was makin "piles" in relation to the box. when it said i needed a board, i looked at the box contents list, and that told me which pile i should look.

Hamhock
4/5/2007, 10:12 AM

check the boards NOW for cracks and splitting so that they can get them in mail to you and it doesn't hold up production.

also, i had a one beer limit. my mechanical skills, the complexity of the task, and the end user of the creation required i have 100% of my faculties.

VeeJay
4/5/2007, 10:52 AM
I've wondered what happens to those things when the kids out grow them.

Sell it? "Yeah, I'll just throw it in the back of the pickup."

Give it to the neighbor? "OK, Hank, we'll just slide it over in to your yard."

Hamhock
4/5/2007, 11:08 AM
I've wondered what happens to those things when the kids out grow them.

Sell it? "Yeah, I'll just throw it in the back of the pickup."

Give it to the neighbor? "OK, Hank, we'll just slide it over in to your yard."

i'm actually replacing one. i was gonna burn it, but a guy at work wanted it. he came over with a trailer and we broke it down into 3 big pieces and he hauled it away.

HskrGrl
4/5/2007, 11:25 AM
How many freakin' kids do you have? :eek:
3 Kidzillion

looks like about 23.

man, I bet that thing is worn out. and I ain't talkin about the jungle jim.

:mad: 20 of them are adopted

I was checking out these toys at the home and garden show in tulsa. The guy in front of me was signing an invoice for $13,000. It's amazing what some people spend on these things.
This is the playset that a friend of mine has in the backyard of her new house. I'm sure they spent over 10 grand on it. They weren't completely crazy, though. They shelled out the extra grand to have a few "moderately skilled people" come and put it together for them.

I_SMELL_FEAR
4/5/2007, 12:23 PM
i was gonna do this, but i don't think it is really necessary. there aren't that many boards with the same measurements that go in different steps. in hindsight, i'm glad i didn't take the time to label them and instead relied on the pictures, board listing and box contents.

one thing that definitely helped was makin "piles" in relation to the box. when it said i needed a board, i looked at the box contents list, and that told me which pile i should look.

yeah, I see your point. I guess I will just pile the boards in "box" piles and seperate them in length...should be easy enough to track your board down.

Hamhock
4/5/2007, 01:17 PM
yeah, I see your point. I guess I will just pile the boards in "box" piles and seperate them in length...should be easy enough to track your board down.

how old are the kids?

OU4LIFE
4/5/2007, 01:21 PM
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA kids?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Hamhock
4/5/2007, 01:38 PM
because you haven't experienced putting that thing together until you've put it together with the "help" of 3 kids under 6.

Taxman71
4/5/2007, 02:56 PM
Shouldn't someone with that many kids be building a giant shoe instead of a playset?

I_SMELL_FEAR
4/6/2007, 12:17 PM
Okay, so here you go 4LIFE...you can get out any time you want...

this is boxes 1, 2 and 3.

http://www.brightok.net/%7Esniders/FortBox123.jpg

box 4

http://www.brightok.net/%7Esniders/FortBox4.jpg

and the location. It is going on other side of tree where the new sod is. I will keep updating pictures as project continues...such as pictures of OU4LIFE throwing his drill down and leaving.

http://www.brightok.net/%7Esniders/FortLocale.jpg

I_SMELL_FEAR
4/6/2007, 12:19 PM
how old are the kids?

the 1 kid is 2....and yes I agree with you (assuming you are saying Im crazy)

OU4LIFE
4/6/2007, 12:20 PM
heh.

as long as there's no more of 4LIFE drinking martinis.

even though I REHEEHEEEALY want to do that again.

Hamhock
4/6/2007, 01:19 PM
hey moran, read the instructions.

the tunnel (the thing rolled up and bound by cardboard rings) is supposed be laid out to flatten, using boards B1 and B2.

Hamhock
4/6/2007, 01:27 PM
this was my favorite picture

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r12/sapmickey/100_0157.jpg

HskrGrl
4/6/2007, 01:57 PM
this was my favorite picture

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r12/sapmickey/100_0157.jpg

Wow!! You're screwed!

I_SMELL_FEAR
4/6/2007, 02:13 PM
hey moran, read the instructions.

the tunnel (the thing rolled up and bound by cardboard rings) is supposed be laid out to flatten, using boards B1 and B2.

heh...well seeing that I have yet to dig, form and pour a stupid footing for it...I figured I would unroll that when I started construction.

SicEmBaylor
4/7/2007, 12:35 PM
Worse than I thought.

;)

Hamhock
4/12/2007, 09:34 AM
well? how goes it?

I_SMELL_FEAR
4/12/2007, 12:12 PM
I have got the footing finished and have the 4 main posts connected together with the floor boards for the second story. Thats as far as I have made it so far.

After I got home Sunday I got the footing dug and placed, I used blocks instead of pouring concrete, thinking the concrete might crack if I only poured a 3 or 4 inch wide footing.

Then Monday I mixed some thick concrete and put it along the inside wall of the footing for outside-in support.

It has been sprinkling off and on for the last few days so Im on stand by for now. Waiting for the bad weather Friday to pass before getting some family up for the weekend to help...maybe get most of it done....or hopefully all of it.

I_SMELL_FEAR
4/12/2007, 12:14 PM
we are working rain or shine too. Im tired of this thing hagning over my head, ruining my weekends. I had to back out of a free weekend at NASCAR for this thing.

OU4LIFE
4/12/2007, 12:19 PM
this weekend? I'll come help Saturday if the weather holds.

Hamhock
4/30/2007, 05:31 PM
?

slickdawg
4/30/2007, 09:54 PM
I'm having something akin to vietnam flashbacks now.

OU4LIFE
5/2/2007, 08:19 AM
?

It blew up.

We were screwing some floorboards onto the bottom section and the whole thing just exploded. Little ultra-lightweight splinters were everywhere. The all of the splints caught fire individually and burned out like flash paper very quickly. And then, we all just stood there and went 'cool'.

the end

I_SMELL_FEAR
5/2/2007, 08:27 AM
heh. It is actually finished, and I have pictures but have not had time to do anything with them..although I will have time today since she has ANOTHER case of pink eye and I have to take off this afternoon to stay with her.

The things I hated most about it was getting the bolts through the 3x3's and that stupid tunnel, other than that it went really smooth and the big kicker is I had to make 0 trips to Lowes to get extra screws or bolts.

Hamhock
5/2/2007, 08:32 AM
i sealed mine this weekend. i think that was worse than putting the stupid thing together.

the kids are loving it and that's all that matters.

in fact, i no longer have to sit in a chair with my pellet gun at the bottom of the slide threatening them if they get off the toy.

OU4LIFE
5/2/2007, 08:48 AM
heh. It is actually finished, and I have pictures but have not had time to do anything with them..although I will have time today since she has ANOTHER case of pink eye and I have to take off this afternoon to stay with her.

The things I hated most about it was getting the bolts through the 3x3's and that stupid tunnel, other than that it went really smooth and the big kicker is I had to make 0 trips to Lowes to get extra screws or bolts.

dude, my story was SO much cooler.

slickdawg
5/2/2007, 12:51 PM
i sealed mine this weekend. i think that was worse than putting the stupid thing together.

the kids are loving it and that's all that matters.

in fact, i no longer have to sit in a chair with my pellet gun at the bottom of the slide threatening them if they get off the toy.

Yeah, I hope to seal mine this weekend. What did you use, Thompsons?

OU4LIFE
5/2/2007, 12:52 PM
Johnson's.

nothing puts on a good coating like a Big Johnson.

I_SMELL_FEAR
5/2/2007, 04:04 PM
Okay, so here are the pics of my finished product. We (dad, brother, OU4LIFE) got it to this point up in the back yard, and then after the mud dried where I was putting it, we carried it down and got it in place.

http://img71.imageshack.us/img71/9087/fortinplaceat0.jpg

then over the next week or so, in between rains I finally finished it. I switched out the stock swinging bars with the pimped out blue toddler swing.
http://img71.imageshack.us/img71/9619/fortfinishedsmallcn4.jpg

Taxman71
5/2/2007, 04:13 PM
I wish my backyard was that level.

Hamhock
5/2/2007, 04:56 PM
Yeah, I hope to seal mine this weekend. What did you use, Thompsons?

yes. used a pump sprayer to get it on and a brush to smoove it.

it was the succ. next year i will have a painter do it.

slickdawg
5/2/2007, 09:19 PM
Well, this freakin storm just blew her house OVER, so I hope its salvageable.

Hamhock
5/2/2007, 09:20 PM
Well, this freakin storm just blew her house OVER, so I hope its salvageable.

please tell me you're not serious.

slickdawg
5/3/2007, 07:07 AM
I'm dead serious. I'm about to go assess the damage.

Dammm, I can't believe this.

:(

OU4LIFE
5/3/2007, 07:23 AM
sorry SD.

Hamhock
5/3/2007, 08:59 AM
did you use the 6 screw stakes it came with?

<runs away>

Hamhock
5/3/2007, 09:51 AM
i've been giving this a lot of thought and the only thing i can come up with is for you to try and get several friends over to help you lift it back up.

i'm sorta disappointed nobody else on here has had any suggestions.

slickdawg
5/3/2007, 10:28 AM
did you use the 6 screw stakes it came with?

<runs away>

Yep, they were cleanly ripped out of the ground.

Slickwife told me I should put mega concrete footings in when I built it, I told her "nah, the 6 screw stakes should holt it just fine"

I'm toast.

Taxman71
5/9/2007, 07:49 AM
What is the best way to level one of these playsets on a yard that slopes about 6 inches over an 8 foot span? Dig out on the high side? Set posts in concrete and level the fort part accordingly?

Okla-homey
5/9/2007, 08:02 AM
What is the best way to level one of these playsets on a yard that slopes about 6 inches over an 8 foot span? Dig out on the high side? Set posts in concrete and level the fort part accordingly?

I recommend the services of a licensed professional engineer.

Oh, and Slick, that is horrible. Will your homeowners cover it? Of course, even if so, it's a claim, and them there claims can lead to higher premiums or cancellation because insurance companies don't wanna be paying out no dinero without making it sting.

Osce0la
5/9/2007, 08:55 AM
I'm dead serious. I'm about to go assess the damage.

Dammm, I can't believe this.

:(
Who was it that started the thread saying they read assess as the plural of a**? Just wondering, because when I saw this I did the same thing...:rolleyes:

Taxman71
5/9/2007, 10:25 AM
I recommend the services of a licensed professional engineer.

I could see that if I was going to drop several thousand, but I am not looking at anything nearly that high level. Just want one that 2 rowdy boys won't destroy or that won't topple on them.

OU4LIFE
5/9/2007, 10:26 AM
dude, there is nothing that 2 rowdy boys can't destroy.

Taxman71
5/9/2007, 11:29 AM
True. Maybe an outdoor boxing ring with new gloves would be easier.

I_SMELL_FEAR
5/9/2007, 11:54 AM

mine was 2 inches drop for the 53 inch width of the playset....and it was not fun....I bought some 3.5 inch tall blocks at lowes and started ground level on the highside...and went from there, with the blocks only in the ground around 1.5 inches on low side...then I piled dirt and sod on the outside of the blocks and poured a little cement slope on the inside, to keep the blocks from moving on the low side...hopefully.

If you had the means, either dig out the highside and make a retaining wall, or pile dirt on the low side and make a retaining wall on the low end.

I_SMELL_FEAR
5/9/2007, 11:55 AM
or screw it and put it on the slope...they are going to tear the hell out of it anyway...

CUinNC
5/9/2007, 11:56 AM

#2 - dig the footers and measure the +/- in the slope if you can...take off from the high-side posts what you don't need & based on SD's experience - pour a hellova lot of concrete into the footers....;)

Taxman71
5/9/2007, 12:11 PM
#2 - dig the footers and measure the +/- in the slope if you can...take off from the high-side posts what you don't need & based on SD's experience - pour a hellova lot of concrete into the footers....;)

I think this is the way for me. I don't want to mess with a retaining wall for such a small area. Plus, I was planning on buying my own lumber and setting the posts in concrete. I will probably just buy my posts a couple of feet longer, cut the tops to level and build the fort very carefully so it is level.

This seems like the easiest way to me although it rules out buying a set with the precut/predrilled lumber. However, I should save some cash that way.

Taxman71
5/9/2007, 12:16 PM
mine was 2 inches drop for the 53 inch width of the playset....and it was not fun....I bought some 3.5 inch tall blocks at lowes and started ground level on the highside...and went from there, with the blocks only in the ground around 1.5 inches on low side...then I piled dirt and sod on the outside of the blocks and poured a little cement slope on the inside, to keep the blocks from moving on the low side...hopefully.

I had given some thought to that....basically square off the whole area with 2x12's (or the like) with the high side buried 6 inches deeper than the low side and fill-in with dirt, sand and mulch.

However, it seems that if I am going to set the posts in concrete anyway (as opposed to just setting the thing on top of the grass), I might as well buy my own posts extra long and not worry about leveling the ground, drainage, etc.

I_SMELL_FEAR
5/9/2007, 12:38 PM
I had given some thought to that....basically square off the whole area with 2x12's (or the like) with the high side buried 6 inches deeper than the low side and fill-in with dirt, sand and mulch.

However, it seems that if I am going to set the posts in concrete anyway (as opposed to just setting the thing on top of the grass), I might as well buy my own posts extra long and not worry about leveling the ground, drainage, etc.

yeah good point, if you have posts that go in the ground that will help. The one I bought didnt have posts that went below ground, it had posts that sat at ground level, then boards that wrapped around them at ground level with some metal "screw" anchors that screwed to boards at bottom and went in the ground...so a level footing was best for me.

I would think setting posts, and then leveling from there would be best...adn a lot less work.

Taxman71
5/9/2007, 12:49 PM
...adn a lot less work.

You had me right there.

Taxman71
5/31/2007, 01:39 PM
I am thinking about getting one from this place. Kid Creations (http://www.kidscreations.com/wooden-swing-sets.cfm)

All redwood, extremely easy self-install and they can custom length the braces for a sloped yard. The extra cost should be worth avoiding buying/hauling/staining/cutting my own lumber, rounding and sanding the corners etc. by myself.

Still shopping around for a price break before I commit.

Hamhock
5/31/2007, 02:41 PM
I am thinking about getting one from this place. Kid Creations (http://www.kidscreations.com/wooden-swing-sets.cfm)

All redwood, extremely easy self-install and they can custom length the braces for a sloped yard. The extra cost should be worth avoiding buying/hauling/staining/cutting my own lumber, rounding and sanding the corners etc. by myself.

Still shopping around for a price break before I commit.

you do realize that one is $300 more than the one pictured in this thread? probably made a little better, but not nearly as big.

OU4LIFE
5/31/2007, 02:49 PM
AND you're not going to ruin any friendships or family relationships with a pre-built model.

Hardly worth it if you can't pi$$ someone off in the process.

Taxman71
5/31/2007, 04:03 PM
you do realize that one is $300 more than the one pictured in this thread? probably made a little better, but not nearly as big.

Yeah, but I am trying to figure a way to make it the same by negotiating the shipping and avoiding sales tax. Plus, the store-bought ones would require me to do major leveling work on my yard...which would take a lot of time, money and pain if we move in a couple of years or so. I am thinking the custom job (besides being sturdy redwood) could move with us without leaving a crater in the backyard.

Besides, the more I read this thread, the less I want to see all those screws and boards.