PDA

View Full Version : Now why would you want to better prepare yourself for the future?

Osce0la
3/29/2007, 12:59 PM
Crazy co-worker woman is telling us about how her son won't have to take any math courses to graduate high school next year. He says he is going to anyway. She asks why he would want to put himself through that (he hates math) if he doesn't have to. He says because it will better prepare him for college. She still says he shouldn't take another math course next year because he doesn't like math. His feelings are that if he passes it, great - if not, he doesn't need the credit anyway so it won't hurt - however, taking the class could help him when he gets ready for college. Now why would you want to actually encourage your child to get ready for college when you could tell them don't worry about it...

Pricetag
3/29/2007, 01:03 PM
I didn't take any math my senior year in high school, and calculus ate my lunch my freshman year in college.

SoonerGirl06
3/29/2007, 01:17 PM
That woman obviously just doesn't get it. Thank God her son does. I can only hope he continues to ignore her advice.

IronSooner
3/29/2007, 01:38 PM
Pretty mature viewpoint for a HS kid. Kudos. Math indeed sucks, but unfortunately it's a basic part of life. Good luck to the guy.

Chuck Bao
3/29/2007, 01:40 PM
I can't understand your co-worker. Maybe she has anxieties about math and she's just projecting the "hate" part. Kudos to her son for either overcoming the "hate" rheteric of his mother or figuring out his weakness and overcoming that.

I don't know about now, but in the past many Oklahoma students had to overcome the handicap of attending small schools. Madill high school didn't even offer senior math my senior year.

Shneeg11
3/29/2007, 01:54 PM
Last year-my senior year-I didn't take a math class, and at OU, my bus. calc. class absolutely dominated me. Clearly this guy's maturity level is far above mine in this situation. He should definitely take it. Even with the sr. math, OU math classes are much much harder than anything you can take in high school

Shneeg11
3/29/2007, 01:54 PM
at least at a public school

TopDaugIn2000
3/29/2007, 01:57 PM
I doubled up for two years so I could get to Calculus in HS (only 2 in my class did so). I loved math. Breezed thru Calc 1 at OU, which was all that was required for an arch degree. For me, those 6 math classes were easy A's.

tommieharris91
3/29/2007, 02:02 PM
Bus. Calc is still eating my lunch. But I like doing math a lot more than I used to now.

Vaevictis
3/29/2007, 02:20 PM
Once you get to calculus II, a light tends to turn on, and you go, "Wow, I can actually see this stuff being useful!"

That's when I started actually liking math.

Of course, I'm starting to change my mind on that again. Goddamn DSP.

mdklatt
3/29/2007, 02:48 PM
Even with the sr. math, OU math classes are much much harder than anything you can take in high school

I can't imagine that business calculus is any different from HS calculus.

yermom
3/29/2007, 02:52 PM
i can't imagine starting with Calculus in college, you are totally setting yourself up for failure

even if you take it in High School and retake it in college you are much better off. that **** is hard, even more so if you "hate math"

Business Calc, heh

TopDaugIn2000
3/29/2007, 02:54 PM
my hs calc class covered what OU calc 1 and calc 2 does. My HS calc teacher was awesome.

TopDaugIn2000
3/29/2007, 02:55 PM
then when I enrolled thru ou the crazy lady at the honors college kept trying to put me in Calc 2 cause that's where my ACT score put me. I kept saying "but architecture ONLY requires calc 1!" and she kept arguing that I'd be bored. SO LET ME BE BORED!!!!!! duh!

yermom
3/29/2007, 02:58 PM
I can't imagine that business calculus is any different from HS calculus.

i took AP Calculus in high school, it covered things like ODEs and Integration by Parts, and some Improper Integrals, i don't think Business Calculus covers all that, i'm not that sure though

the one took overlapped with Calc II because it was based on a 5 hour class instead of a 3 hour class, i didn't learn much new stuff in Calc II at OU until like the last part of the class

soonersweetie
3/29/2007, 03:37 PM
what is this foreign language you guys speak of called math? I absolutely hate math. I was going to be a meteorologist until I found out how much math is involved. I decided to major in Public Relations instead at OU. No math required :)

I am thankful, however, that my kids rock in math. They are only 10 & 12 and are already taking algebra classes. They obviously get that from dad.

That being said, I would never in a million years tell my kids not to take classes that would help them better themselves and help them in college. That's just crazy.

TopDaugIn2000
3/29/2007, 03:38 PM
I got it from my dad too, he was a math & CS major.

mom was an elementary music teacher...hehehehe

NYSooner1355
3/29/2007, 04:02 PM
he must have a good guidance counselor

GottaHavePride
3/29/2007, 05:43 PM
I took AP calc my junior year of high school. At that point I had taken every math course available at my high scool, so I took Calc 2 from Wichita State University my senior year of high school.

Calculus was easy - abstract linear algebra is HARD.

yermom
3/29/2007, 05:51 PM
shocking!

royalfan5
3/29/2007, 06:06 PM
I had 5 years of no math before Grad school, now I can handle all the calculus I use in my everyday life.

mdklatt
3/29/2007, 10:27 PM
i took AP Calculus in high school, it covered things like ODEs and Integration by Parts, and some Improper Integrals, i don't think Business Calculus covers all that, i'm not that sure though

I was being polite. HS calculus is probably way harder than Frat Calc. :texan:

I sure don't remember doing any ODE in HS, though. :eek: