PDA

View Full Version : Landry Jones pulls the trigger

Frozen Sooner
3/28/2007, 10:32 PM
Woot!

http://artesiabulldogs.proboards98.com/index.cgi?board=general&action=display&thread=1175138312

melbitoast
3/28/2007, 10:37 PM
F*ck yeah!! There's a great article on Scout today about Jameel Owens. He stated that OU and the rednecks up 35 are basically his top 2, but it would depend on who else OU recruited at WR and if we were going to get a top QB to get him the ball. Well.....looks like variable #1 to that equation is solved.

melbitoast
3/28/2007, 10:38 PM
BTW Mr. Rich...thanks for making my night. It was really crappy until I saw that post.

Frozen Sooner
3/28/2007, 10:41 PM
Glad to help. I've been pretty sure about Landry Jones for a few months, but you never know.

melbitoast
3/28/2007, 10:48 PM
Be sure to read the article on Scout about Owens. With tonight's committ, it makes that article much more exciting to read.

goingoneight
3/28/2007, 11:00 PM
video? Sounds like he's good, I mean 45 TDS??? 9 INTs??? Me likes.

jccouger
3/28/2007, 11:02 PM
This is good. Wasnt there a article that had him ranked as like the 3rd best QB in the nation or something? I rememebr reading something about him in another thread.

snp
3/28/2007, 11:53 PM
Booyea. I've been F5ing all night.

BASSooner
3/29/2007, 12:15 AM
I overheard that Owens is expected to commit soon.

goingoneight
3/29/2007, 12:24 AM
Can I like... I dunno, lock them in my basement to keep USC and Hook 'em away for just a few more months... PLEEEEEEEEASE!?!

:D

snp
3/29/2007, 12:27 AM
I overheard that Owens is expected to commit soon.

Where'd you hear that?

I've been talking to Oklahoma and Oklahoma State the most. OU was my favorite team growing up and that's where my mom wants me to go, but it's going to depend on who they recruit and where I stand in the program that will help me make my decision.

"I've talked to Oklahoma probably the most, a little more than Oklahoma State,"

With no plans on rushing into any commitment soon, the receiver turned quarterback-for-a-year says he plans on weighing out all his options very carefully.

BASSooner
3/29/2007, 12:42 AM
I don't have a link, nor a source, but I heard this from my fraternity brother here.

birddog
3/29/2007, 01:01 AM
oh sweet maria.

thanks, mike, if that is your real name....

Frozen Sooner
3/29/2007, 01:12 AM
Heh. Yes, it is. You can look me up in the OU alumni directory if you want. :)

snp
3/29/2007, 01:20 AM
I don't have a link, nor a source, but I heard this from my fraternity brother here.

Being a fellow frat guy myself, I wouldn't put much stock into it. The quote I posted is from Jameel and is recent. Maybe he'll be a silent commit (which I can find out) but otherwise, everything is leaning towards him prolonging his recruiting process.

OU-HSV
3/29/2007, 07:41 AM
I haven't heard much about this guy...Anyone have a highlight reel link for this kid?

sooner518
3/29/2007, 08:49 AM
someone posted a video of him a while ago. I really liked his poise on the field. He seems very decisive with the ball

PAW
3/29/2007, 09:38 AM
That vid is over here, http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=88719&page=6

Glad he's a Sooner. :D

OU-HSV
3/29/2007, 09:52 AM
That vid is over here, http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=88719&page=6

Glad he's a Sooner. :D
I appreciate it. Looks like the guy can play some ball...made some nice scrambles and passes

jk the sooner fan
3/29/2007, 10:15 AM
kid seems to read the field pretty well for being so young.......very impressive video

Seamus
3/29/2007, 01:35 PM
oh sweet maria.

thanks, mike, if that is your real name....

"Colonel Bat Guano, if that's your real name ..."

http://www.petersellersappreciationsociety.com/Pictures/FCharacter/GroupCaptain(G-C)LionelMandrake.jpg

birddog
3/30/2007, 12:26 AM
http://newsok.com/article/3033558/

article from DO on landry.

OU-HSV
3/30/2007, 09:03 AM
http://newsok.com/article/3033558/

article from DO on landry.
Could you copy and paste it please? I'm not a member of that site.
TIA

Seamus
3/30/2007, 10:15 AM
Sooners snag QB for '08

By Blake Jackson
Staff Writer

Bob Stoops wasted little time offering a top quarterback from the Class of 2008.

And the quarterback, Landry Jones of Artesia (N.M.), wasted little time making his collegiate aspirations clear.

"I want to go into Oklahoma and win the starting job,” said Jones, rated the No. 36 overall prospect by ESPN.com. "They have a lot of good, young quarterbacks there. If I'm going to get the starting job, it's not going to be granted to me. But I'm going to work hard.”

Jones picked the Sooners over Colorado, UCLA and a host of other schools. He called Stoops and quarterbacks coach Josh Heupel late Wednesday to give them the news.

"I'd been thinking about it a lot the last couple of weeks,” said Jones, who received his offer during an unofficial visit to Norman three weeks ago. "Stoops was really excited. He told me that they couldn't wait to get me on the field. When I was there, I went to a practice and met some of the receivers and running backs. I'm excited to throw with them.”

Physically, Jones stretches the mold at his position. He's listed at 6-foot-5 and 222 pounds, and still runs a 4.8-second forty.

Artesia coach Cooper Henderson said Jones' combination of strength and smarts separates him from any quarterback he's seen before.

"Landry's not just big, but physical. More than anything, he's focused on and off the field,” Henderson said. "A lot of high school people want to mess around and don't want to work hard.

"He's focused in season and out of season. He does things most athletes wouldn't do.”

As a junior, Jones completed 211 of 310 passes for 3,433 yards and 45 touchdowns en route to an undefeated season and a state championship. Almost half of the Bulldogs' schedule consisted of larger-class opponents.

Jones' strong performance earned him player of the year honors in New Mexico's Class 4A.

"I like to compete against the best, with my team and as an individual,” said Jones, who compares his playing style to that of New England Patriots quarterback Tom Brady. "OU always competes against the best in the country.

"That was a big factor in my decision.”

It wasn't the only factor.

Jones' grandmother lives in the southwestern Oklahoma town of Granite and his cousin, Jeremy Guy, plays defensive end at Bixby.

Even before his visit, Jones was no stranger to Norman and OU football.

He attended Bob Stoops' summer football camps the past two years.

"It was nice to be coached by them, and to see how their coaching techniques worked,” Jones said. "I really got to know Coach Stoops and Coach Heupel.”

OU-HSV
3/30/2007, 03:29 PM
Sounds like he's got a good head on his shoulders and knows what efforts it will take to win the starting job. Looks like we're going to have some nice QB competitions ongoing the next few seasons.

CrimsonFaithful
4/1/2007, 11:12 PM
This kid is able to move around in the pocket really well, by his videos it looks like he makes good decisions and has a nice arm. Good Commit.

IronHorseSooner
4/2/2007, 09:49 AM
I just wonder what the other QBs on campus think about this. This guy sounds like the real deal, and I am glad that he is a Sooner...Inevitably, one of them will likely transfer, ala Tommy Grady. Nothing bad, just the reality of college football in general. Good luck to all of our young men. May the best man win!

OUmillenium
4/2/2007, 10:37 AM
We played Artesia H.S. in baseball over Spring Break in Pheonix. Suffered our only loss on the trip to them 7-2. They had some nice looking athletes and in talking to their fans and coaches, there school has some strong sports tradition. So hopefully this lends a lot of credibility to LJ's stats. Just sayin...

insuranceman_22
4/2/2007, 10:13 PM
Nice pick up - Great depth at RB and now drawing an evidently strong QB!