PDA

View Full Version : So, We Started Recycling Awhile Back...

Rogue
3/28/2007, 07:57 PM
'bout 6 months ago. I recycled cans as a kid. My sister is a rootin' tootin' environmentalist, drives a hybrid, and has probably single-handedly saved a forest worth of trees, a gillion gallons of gas, and I bet I've used a handful of products made from stuff she recycled. She's serious about it even if I like to exaggerate a little from time to time. We thought we'd be worthy of being her family and feel a little less guilty if we did some small part to help her save the world. And even feel a little uppity now and then because we have to haul it across town to the recycling dumpsters and not just put it out on the curb once a week.

So Mrs. Rogue and I decided to save aluminum cans and plastic.

I had no idea 2 people could use so much plastic. :eek: :eek: Fercryinoutloud! We fill up the bin ('bout as big as an ottoman footrest thingy) about every week or two. Plastic water bottles, soap bottles, juice jugs, all kinds of plastic. The can bin doesn't fill up nearly as fast as I thought it would unless the alcoholic relatives are visiting. Turns out I drink more liquor than I do beer these days, but I digress.

Do you recycle?

If so, are you ever amazed at how much stuff you used to throw away?

olevetonahill
3/28/2007, 08:12 PM
After all the Bowls My grandbabies made 28 bucks off the cans that were around my shack .
plastic **** I just burn
Now they are raiding My shop .

Rogue
3/28/2007, 08:21 PM
Typical Olevet. "Anything for the kids."
Drinking Natty Lite for a cause!

the-boulder
3/28/2007, 09:47 PM
yes we do. I believe its my civic duty. When we lived in Tulsa city we paid extra to have them pick up recyclables twice a month. Since we moved to Bixby, I load up the car and head to the MET place in BA about 1-2 times a month.

It is amazing how much recyclable material a family uses a month.

sooneron
3/28/2007, 09:49 PM
MY town has curbside recycling. So yes, I recycle. I still can't believe that Norman doesn't recycle unless you bother to go to the dump.

royalfan5
3/28/2007, 09:54 PM
My roommates and I decided to recycle our beer and pop cans my senior year of undergrad. The 8 of us, drank enough beer to pay for a keg by April. That's alot of aluminum.

Rhino
3/28/2007, 10:50 PM
I recycled a bit when I was in OKC with curbside recycling. I've gotten into a good rhythm since I've been in Norman. Cardboard, glass, paper, plastic, steel, aluminum - we fill up about a tub every two weeks. Takes 5-10 minutes to drop it off and toss it away.

MY town has curbside recycling. So yes, I recycle. I still can't believe that Norman doesn't recycle unless you bother to go to the dump. Actually there are at least three recycle centers in Norman. In front off the old Target/new Hobby Lobby on Main, in front of Homeland off Lindsey and in front of Buy4Less? on Lindsey.

And on May 8th, there's a proposal to establish curbside recycling being put to a vote.

olevetonahill
3/28/2007, 10:51 PM
My roommates and I decided to recycle our beer and pop cans my senior year of undergrad. The 8 of us, drank enough beer to pay for a keg by April. That's alot of aluminum.
rookies !:eek:

royalfan5
3/28/2007, 10:55 PM
rookies !:eek:
That was just the beer we consumed in our dorm, it's doesn't count the drinking we did elsewhere.

olevetonahill
3/28/2007, 10:59 PM
That was just the beer we consumed in our dorm, it's doesn't count the drinking we did elsewhere.
I repeat rookies !

Fraggle145
3/29/2007, 12:55 AM
Thank you all for recylcling, I know IU sound like an eco-freak, but really I am just a scientits with high hopes (not a hippie!)

47straight
3/29/2007, 10:11 AM
Curbside recycling is the way to go.

Tear Down This Wall
3/29/2007, 10:13 AM
Overblown.

Howzit
3/29/2007, 10:16 AM
Flower Mound has a city program and that makes it pretty easy.

Regardless of one's political affiliations, I can't understand why people would not recycle if a program is available.

Pepe Frias' Batting Glove
3/29/2007, 10:18 AM
No me gusta.

picasso
3/29/2007, 10:22 AM
I don't litter. that's a start.

skycat
3/29/2007, 11:15 AM
curbside

StoopTroup
3/29/2007, 11:40 AM
At 29,500 my Truck jumped from 13 MPG to 14.2 MPG....

I like this trend....

I may continue to drive it if the mileage goes up.

I need one of those K&N kits for it.

Anyone have any better suggestions than the K&N?

http://www.updatedautorepair.com/2004_supercrew_ford_lariat_2.jpg

Rogue
3/30/2007, 05:08 AM
Ouch, failed thread-jack.

Tulsa_Fireman
3/30/2007, 09:54 AM
...but really I am just a scientits with high hopes

I once paid to see some of those with money I got from recycling "cans" and "jugs".

*rimshot*

TopDaugIn2000
3/30/2007, 09:57 AM
I recycle aluminum, plastic, cardboard, and glass. I wish Norman accepted more plastics besides "1 & 2". I hate throwing ANYTHING away that could potentially be recycled.
it blows my mom's mind that I haul it all down to the old target, at first she asked if I got money for it, and then couldn't understand why I did it for "nothing". MOM, have I not taught you ANYTHING?!?!?!?!?!
I damn near filled up the cardboard bin after this last move.

TopDaugIn2000
3/30/2007, 10:00 AM
and it's pretty amazing how much just one person can collect. I have a really large rubbermade bin in the garage that I put it all in. I have to go about every 10-14 days cause I've filled it up.

Tear Down This Wall
3/30/2007, 10:22 AM
I like the way our city does it. See, we throw all of our garbage into trash bags. On Tuesday and Friday mornings, the trash men come by, pick it up, and carry it away.

No sorting, no buying different colored bags, no conglomeration of different size and color trash bins crowding up the sidewalk or alley way. It's so simple.

I love it so much that I'm running for city council in our city this year. One of my issues is to "Keep Trash Day Simple."

Yeah, man, groovy, baby!