PDA

View Full Version : OU To Upgrade Video Boards

Mjcpr
3/28/2007, 02:04 PM
Has this not been posted? I looked but didn't see it.

OU Athletics: Sooners seek upgrades for sports venues

By JOHN E. HOOVER World Sports Writer
3/28/2007 5:47 AM

New scoreboards and screens would be added to stadium, arena
University of Oklahoma president David Boren will recommend to the OU
regents this week that scoreboards, video boards and other electronic
displays inside Memorial Stadium and Lloyd Noble Center be replaced and
upgraded.

The regents are supposed to consider the proposed upgrades this week in
Oklahoma City. OU plans to negotiate with Daktronics Inc. of Brookings,
S.D. -- the sole bidder on the project -- to replace "scoreboards,
ribbon boards, sponsorship displays, sound system and tunnel entrance
displays for the Gaylord Family Oklahoma Memorial Stadium, and center
hung video displays, corner-hung display boards, fixed digit
scoreboards, and sound system for the Lloyd Noble Center."

The new video boards will be LED technology and will be compatible with
high-definition equipment.

"If we outfit our stadium with HD cameras," said associate athletic
director Kenny Mossman, "then the screens will be HD, too."

The three-phase project is budgeted at $10.3 million.

Phase 1: Initial improvements to Memorial Stadium, including a north
scoreboard LED video display -- will be completed by Aug. 3 and has a
projected cost of $2.16 million.

Phase 2: Improvements to Lloyd Noble Center, including a new four-sided
LED video display hung over the center of the basketball court and a new
sound system -- has an Oct. 5 completion date and is projected to cost
$3.12 million.

Phase 3: Additional improvements to Memorial Stadium, including "LED
video display improvements and expansion within the existing structure"
of the south scoreboard and a sound system -- has an Aug. 1, 2008
completion date. It's budgeted at $3.39 million.

yermom
3/28/2007, 02:15 PM
cool

i was kinda ashamed after leaving College Station last year, their new setup is freaking awesome

Boomer.....
3/28/2007, 02:18 PM
Maybe now we can get a Godzillatron.

snp
3/28/2007, 02:36 PM
Awesome. But the Godzillatron improvements cost about 8 million. So jealous of their scoreboard :(

SoonerStormchaser
3/28/2007, 02:36 PM
Here comes the tuition raise!

Boomer.....
3/28/2007, 02:38 PM
They are probably just updating the north board.

StuIsTheMan
3/28/2007, 02:42 PM
They should put PS3 contollers on the seats then we could all play video games while our Sooners kick the crap out of all who wander to close to Norman...heck that would be a cool game..

soonerjoker
3/28/2007, 03:09 PM
if it's in the north end zone, who cares. it'll be behind me.

Mjcpr
3/28/2007, 03:15 PM
People, it says north AND south scoreboards.

soonerjoker
3/28/2007, 03:18 PM
oh

IronSooner
3/28/2007, 03:23 PM
here's a thought....kill the horsepigs, save money, use it on the upgrade , duh

Do the horsepigs have life insurance?

Dio
3/28/2007, 03:29 PM
People, it says north AND south scoreboards.

I don't mind waiting an extra year for the south scoreboard to get upgraded (or turning my head around in the meantime)- I just wish they'd get the north end concession/ restroom renovations done.

Jimminy Crimson
3/28/2007, 03:33 PM
I just wish they'd get the north end concession/ restroom renovations done.

Pssst, they're working on that right now.

Pricetag
3/28/2007, 03:39 PM
Hallelujah to the north end zone video display. Death to the big orange Gameboy!

boomersooner82
3/28/2007, 05:07 PM
I don't mind waiting an extra year for the south scoreboard to get upgraded (or turning my head around in the meantime)- I just wish they'd get the north end concession/ restroom renovations done.

I love the north end's concession stands and restrooms. They're so old! Kinda nostalgic IMHO. Sad to see it all go

Sooner24
3/28/2007, 05:28 PM
I love the north end's concession stands and restrooms. They're so old! Kinda nostalgic IMHO. Sad to see it all go

I feel the same way. :(

The east side had to be improved because of the dirt but I wish they had just left the north end alone.

Dio
3/28/2007, 05:30 PM
Pssst, they're working on that right now.

Sweet- will it be done before the season starts?

TopDawg
3/28/2007, 05:40 PM

OSU signed 'em up for one.

Octavian
3/28/2007, 06:25 PM
ZANG!

Octavian
3/28/2007, 06:29 PM
...and we dont want a Godzillatron.

for as cool as it sounds, it wouldn't be proportional to our stadium....and would look funky

the one at DKR isn't proportional either...UT fans aren't as happy with their monster as they thought they would be...they get heavy doses of commercials throughout the games and many complain that it interupts the game, is too loud, overbearing, and just gawdy

I like the idea of what we're doing.

goingoneight
3/28/2007, 09:50 PM

There isn't yet a word to describe the brilliance of this post! :D

soonerspudman
3/29/2007, 11:49 AM

for as cool as it sounds, it wouldn't be proportional to our stadium....and would look funky

the one at DKR isn't proportional either...UT fans aren't as happy with their monster as they thought they would be...they get heavy doses of commercials throughout the games and many complain that it interupts the game, is too loud, overbearing, and just gawdy

Got that exactly right - this is not a good thing. You don't spend that kind of money for fan entertainment or game enhancement, this is all about charging more money/getting more revenue for in-stadium advertising. Expect more and louder commercial intrustions on the game experience. I miss the old days when you could go and just enjoy football...

OSUAggie
3/29/2007, 11:54 AM
I guess we're trying the Nebraska effect... I'm not sure if I'd rather have 2 bigger screens on either side or 4 relatively big screens in the corners... I guess it doesn't matter that much.

http://www.newsok.com/article/3033065/

STILLWATER — The extreme makeover of Boone Pickens Stadium will be complete in 2008.

Part of the plan involves the installation of several "state of the art” video boards, according to Gary Sparks, lead architect of the stadium project for Sparks Sports.

"We have the opportunity to do four boards, which we think puts everybody closer to a board,” Sparks said. "Four large video boards, and you're not very far from any board.”

A new sound system will be in place for the 2007 season. The following year, four video boards are added to essentially the four "corners” of the stadium.

Two boards that span 20-feet tall by 40-feet long will hang on the walls of Gallagher-Iba Arena. Two more measuring 20-by-60 will be in the new west end zone's corners. There are also plans for ribbon boards along the u-shaped portion of the stadium on the façade.

All of the boards will be high-definition ready, featuring HD quality when HD cameras are used.

"The technology is really gonna be off the charts,” Sparks said. "It's all about enhancing the fan experience at the stadium. These are the best boards on the market.”

By John Helsley

JohnnyMack
3/29/2007, 11:57 AM
Boone Pickens Stadium - If you build it, they might come. Unless of course you keep jacking prices up so high that no one wants to shell out that kind of dough to watch a mediocre team flounder in obscurity.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
3/29/2007, 12:01 PM
I love the north end's concession stands and restrooms. They're so old! Kinda nostalgic IMHO. Sad to see it all goI looked for the ;) at the end of your post but I didn't see it. You must enjoy washing your hands with cold water and grabbing a roll of wet paper towels because there isn't a real dispenser.

I wish they'd also increase the number of ladies' restrooms.

Pricetag
3/29/2007, 12:20 PM
I wonder how many of those old boosters will need to kick off before they can take the trash bags off the four new video boards?

StoopTroup
3/29/2007, 02:26 PM

Quality over quantity every time.

Octavian
3/30/2007, 03:09 AM
Quality over quantity every time.

Yep.

Here's what I was talkin' about with the Horns being disappointed with "AdZillatron" (http://forums.hornfans.com/php/wwwthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=stands&Number=4890212&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=0&fpart=)

A "crass disgrace" and "huge backfire" are the general consensus

trwxxa
3/30/2007, 09:40 PM
A "crass disgrace" and "huge backfire" are the general consensus

I'm glad to see the Adzillatron description matches the rest of the place and their fans ;)

Soonerfan88
3/31/2007, 07:12 PM
These upgrades are being paid for out of the Athletic Dept budget, all of which comes from donations or revenue from athletic events. No tax dollars are spent on the AD so there will be no effect on tuition. Here are the specifics as approved by the Regents:

(OU Sports Information)

State of the art High Definition capable video boards and sound are coming to the University of Oklahoma ’s football and basketball venues.
President David L. Boren and Athletics Director Joe Castiglione presented plans for scoreboard and message board upgrades at Thursday’s Board of Regents meeting in Oklahoma City . The regents subsequently approved the purchase.

The new Daktronics boards would be installed over a two-year period at Gaylord Family – Oklahoma Memorial Stadium and the Lloyd Noble Center . The projected cost is approximately $9,600,000.

In the stadium, a board that was installed in south end 2003 will be replaced and enlarged by the 2008 football season, while a video board will appear for the first time on the north end prior to the 2007 season.

For basketball, boards that were installed in 1997 will be replaced prior to the 2007-08 season.

“We are making upgrades that will greatly enhance the fan experience at our two most visible venues,” Castiglione said. “This technology is on the cutting edge of what is available in today’s market and we’re thrilled to bring this kind of innovation to our fans. It will add even more energy to our environments while allowing us to better communicate with the thousands that visit us each year and better serve the sponsors that are so important to our programs. In the end, a trip to an OU game will be more complete and more exciting in many ways.”

The resolution on the boards will be among the sharpest available and represents some of the latest technology. A small millimeter number (mm) for pixel distribution results in a clearer picture. The OU boards will be 16 mm for the stadium replay boards and 12mm for the LNC replay boards. Other boards recently installed at Big 12 schools range from 20-23 mm.

The projects will be installed in three phases over the next two sports seasons as follows:

Prior to the 2007 football season

* Replacement of the north end zone matrix board with a new state of the art 16mm HD capable video replay board.

* Replacement of and addition to the fascia boards (end to end 100 yards) with high quality digital LED display boards (23mm).

* Replacement of the tri-visions on the north board and tunnel entrances with high quality digital display boards (23mm).

* Cost for this phase: $2.0 million.

Prior to the 2007-08 basketball season

* New redesigned center-hung Scoreboard with the following features: 1) four sided LED video replay board (12mm), 2) an eight sided upper ring with eight (8) LED video information/scoring/statistic/sponsor panels (16mm with video quality), 3) two 360 degree LED information/sponsorship rings (16 mm video quality one upper display ring and one lower display ring).

* Four Hustle/stat LED corner-hung displays (16mm video quality).

* North and south fixed digit LED scoreboards (2).

* Sound system.

Cost for this phase: $3.1 million.

Prior to the 2008 football season

* South scoreboard: LED video display improvements and expansion within the entire existing structure (16mm HD capable video replay).

* Sound system replacement within the current board.

* Cost for this phase: $4.5 million.

The screen size of the new south end video display will measure 32.5 feet by 113.5 feet. The current video display board in that space measures 21 by 36 feet.

The new board is similar in size to those at Nebraska (34x118) and Arkansas (30x107).

The relationship with Daktronics, a company located in Brookings , S.D. , dates back some time.

“We are excited to continue our long standing partnership with the University of Oklahoma ,” said Jim Morgan, President and CEO of Daktronics. “It’s been nearly a decade since we installed one of our very first large video boards at Owen Field prior to the start of the 1997 season. We have valued the long-standing relationship with the University, and look forward to working together to make their new vision for the football stadium and basketball facility a reality.”

Daktronics national sales manager Jay Parker thinks Sooner fans are in for a treat.

“OU fans will absolutely love the size and clarity of the new football scoreboard,” he said. “It will be one of the largest in collegiate sports. The system developed for the Lloyd Noble Center is a unique configuration using multiple displays with the latest technology that will keep Sooner fans informed and entertained for years to come. Combined, this project is one of the largest we’ve done for an NCAA institution.”

OklahomaTuba
4/1/2007, 12:24 AM
I had some guy at ford audio here in tulsa that the AD wanted the entire soonervision score board to be one large screen ala Miami Dolphins Stadium.

snp
4/1/2007, 01:22 AM
Awesome news.

utex74
4/1/2007, 01:32 AM

There are a lot of us, maybe most of us, who do not like the way the board was used last year. But I remember when the previous board was introduced that it had a lot of faults in use, like the ads drowning out the band between plays. Real no brainer stuff. They fixed most of that the next year and I think, or hope, the powers that be will keep tweaking Godzillatron until it fits in more with the game. It has huge potential if some people will just use their brains and some common sense.

utex74
4/1/2007, 01:40 AM
I'm glad to see the Adzillatron description matches the rest of the place and their fans ;)

See my previous post. The fans you describe as a "crass disgrace' are the ones who get things fixed. The "place" is one of the best venues in the NCAA. The huge backfire is to the way the UT administration uses the resources and product, like Godzillatron, that we payed for. I know you can relate and I am pretty sure there will be improvements in the way it is used this year.

MamaMia
4/1/2007, 09:15 AM
I love the big flags but I do wish they would move them to the N.W. corner behind the stadium seats so that nobody would have a blocked view of the jumbotron when the flags are waving.

goingoneight
4/1/2007, 11:21 PM
Bowl it, give it more restrooms for OUr suffering lady friends, Give us video boards we can read and decipher, no Adzillatron. Oh, yeah... and put a great big 2007 up next to the 2000 on the National Championships board, pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease!?!?!?! :D

budbarrybob
4/1/2007, 11:41 PM
Got that exactly right - this is not a good thing. You don't spend that kind of money for fan entertainment or game enhancement, this is all about charging more money/getting more revenue for in-stadium advertising. Expect more and louder commercial intrustions on the game experience. I miss the old days when you could go and just enjoy football...

What u don't want anymore Mark Heitz kickoff boy? How bout "thats another TAAACOOOOOO BELL!!!!! first down!!" or "this extra point brought to you by PAPA JOHN'S!!!" :mad:

goingoneight
4/2/2007, 12:45 AM
What u don't want anymore Mark Heitz kickoff boy? How bout "thats another TAAACOOOOOO BELL!!!!! first down!!" or "this extra point brought to you by PAPA JOHN'S!!!" :mad:

HOOOOO MAMA what a hit by Lewis Baker!!!This defensive play is brought to you by OUr friends a FOX Collision. FOX Collision Center: now servicing your vehicle bumper to bumper. We'll resume play after these messages from OUr sponsor.