PDA

View Full Version : What if that ex-wife you're paying "is a MAN baybee!?"

Okla-homey
3/28/2007, 08:58 AM
At the leading edge of emerging Family Law issues...I give you, trannies and alimony!

CLEARWATER, Florida (AP) -- Lawrence Roach agreed to pay alimony to the woman he divorced, not the man she became after a sex change, his lawyers argued in a Florida court Tuesday in an effort to end the payments.

But the ex-wife's attorneys said the operation does not alter the agreement.

The lawyers and Circuit Judge Jack St. Arnold agreed the case delves into relatively uncharted legal territory. They found only a 2004 Ohio case that addressed whether or not a transsexual could still collect alimony after a sex change.

"There is not a lot out there to help us," St. Arnold said.

Roach and his wife, Julia, divorced in 2004 after 18 years of marriage. The 48-year-old utility worker agreed to pay her $1,250 a month in alimony. Since then, Julia Roach, 55, has had a sex change and legally changed her name to Julio Roberto Silverwolf.

"It's illegal for a man to marry a man, and it should likewise be illegal for a man to pay alimony to a man," said Roach's attorney, John McGuire. "When she changed to a man, I believe she terminated that alimony."

Silverwolf did not appear in court Tuesday and has declined to talk about the divorce. His lawyer, Gregory Nevins, said the language of the divorce decree is clear and firm -- Roach agreed to pay alimony until his ex-wife dies or remarries.

"Those two things haven't happened," said Nevins, a senior staff attorney with the national gay rights group Lambda Legal.

St. Arnold is considering the arguments. But lawyers on both sides agreed Tuesday that Roach will probably have to keep paying alimony to Silverwolf.

The judge poked holes in several of Roach's legal arguments and noted that appeals courts have declined to legally recognize a sex change in Florida when it comes to marriage. The appellate court "is telling us you are what you are when you are born," St. Arnold said. [IOW, just because she cut-off certain girly bits, and added certain boy bits...she's still a woman because gender is defined in Florida based on chromosomes, not the presence or absence of organs]

In the Ohio case, an appeals court ruled in September 2004 that a Montgomery County man must continue to pay $750 a month in alimony to his transsexual ex-wife because her sex change was not reason enough to violate the agreement.

Roach's other attorney, John Smitten, said the case falls into a legal void.

"It's probably something that has to be addressed by the Legislature," Smitten said. "There is one other case in the entire United States. It really needs to be addressed either for or against the concept of eliminating alimony for that reason."

Roach, who has since remarried, said has been unable to convince state and federal lawmakers to tackle the issue. He said he will continue to fight.

OUDoc
3/28/2007, 09:00 AM
Pay to the order of: Iron Balls McGinty. One dollar and nine cents.

frankensooner
3/28/2007, 09:59 AM
I don't care what she has sawn off, she is still a woman if she doesn't possess the Y chromosome.

StoopTroup
3/28/2007, 10:09 AM
Talk about gettin' hosed....

crawfish
3/28/2007, 10:47 AM
I don't care what she has sawn off, she is still a woman if she doesn't possess the Y chromosome.

Should be an interesting case. Technically, if she's still a woman, she should be arrested for going into a men's bathroom.

I'm guessing the identity is going to be dependent on what benefit they gain from it. :D

Pricetag
3/28/2007, 02:28 PM
Alimony is crap.

85Sooner
3/28/2007, 03:21 PM
Alimony is crap.

And actually outdated.

47straight
3/28/2007, 09:52 PM
If she's a he then there's no alleged wage gap and shim can get of shim's *** and get one of those high paying men's jobs and give up the alimony!

Jerk
3/29/2007, 05:43 AM
I'd rather go to jail than pay alimony.

Jimminy Crimson
3/29/2007, 01:17 PM
The ex-wife is a sick freak.

Also, alimony is stupid.

SoonerGirl06
3/29/2007, 01:22 PM
This just doesn't seem right to me on all counts.

If I were the ex-hushand I'd have a hard time paying the alimony to him/her/it.

JohnnyMack
3/29/2007, 01:23 PM
Alimony is crap?

Why for?

StuIsTheMan
3/29/2007, 01:23 PM
This just doesn't seem right to me on all counts.

If I were the ex-hushand I'd have a hard time pay the alimony to him/her/it.

Agreed this guy is getting screwed...and you can't even call it Vaginamony anymore...

SoonerGirl06
3/29/2007, 01:26 PM
Agreed this guy is getting screwed...and you can't even call it Vaginamony anymore...

Totally takes that word out of the male vocabulary now, doesn't it? :D

Jimminy Crimson
3/29/2007, 01:33 PM
Alimony is crap?

Why for?

Women can actually have jobs and earn a wage these days!

Shocking, I know... ;)

BlondeSoonerGirl
3/29/2007, 01:38 PM
Alimony is a buncha junk. I understand child support but not alimony.

Get a job, yainch.

:eddie:

JohnnyMack
3/29/2007, 01:56 PM
Women can actually have jobs and earn a wage these days!

Shocking, I know... ;)

Let's say a woman is married for 15 or so years to man who is college educated, earns in the low six-figures. She has no formal education beyond high school and hasn't worked since they were married. Let's say he walks in one day, says he doesn't love her anymore, loves someone else and wants a divorce.

Is she expected to completely and totally alter her lifestyle because he can't keep his dick in his pants?

I'm not saying she can't work or that she shouldn't work. What I'm asking is since it was HE who decided to alter the marriage contract they had entered into, should she get ANY help from him until she gets on her feet?

BlondeSoonerGirl
3/29/2007, 02:00 PM
Is she expected to completely and totally alter her lifestyle because he can't keep his dick in his pants?

Yes.

Shame on her for allowing herself to become totally dependent on someone else. Now she's gotta take care of herself and she's only got herself to blame. I can see maybe a temporary arrangement so she ain't out on the street but...

Dang.

Jimminy Crimson
3/29/2007, 02:07 PM

Its her fault for not keeping him satisfied in ze bedroom.

Much like Bill & Hillary. All Hillary's fault. :texan:

JohnnyMack
3/29/2007, 02:07 PM
Yes.

Shame on her for allowing herself to become totally dependent on someone else. Now she's gotta take care of herself and she's only got herself to blame. I can see maybe a temporary arrangement so she ain't out on the street but...

Dang.

So the traditional family is truly dead then?

BlondeSoonerGirl
3/29/2007, 02:08 PM
In this day and age...prolly.

Which is sad.

BlondeSoonerGirl
3/29/2007, 02:21 PM
Okay - I may have sounded a bit harsh. I'm just saying that people need to be responsible for themselves, that's all. Be capable enough to be able to take care of yourself if something does happen. If Rich Lady is being totally taken care of and Rich Husband decides he's a punk, then she should have been doing something all along that made her a somewhat productive person in the event she did have to be self-sufficient.

I'm done now.

JohnnyMack
3/29/2007, 02:23 PM
Okay - I may have sounded a bit harsh. I'm just saying that people need to be responsible for themselves, that's all. Be capable enough to be able to take care of yourself if something does happen. If Rich Lady is being totally taken care of and Rich Husband decides he's a punk, then she should have been doing something all along that made her a somewhat productive person in the event she did have to be self-sufficient.

I'm done now.

What if raising his kids was being "somewhat productive"?

BlondeSoonerGirl
3/29/2007, 02:25 PM
Then so be it. Child Support will be of great assistance as she tries to find gainful employment.

Did she go to college? And what's her name while we're at it?