PDA

View Full Version : Something in San Francisco I Can Get Behind!

Mjcpr
3/28/2007, 08:57 AM
I know what you're thinking and you should be ashamed. :D

It's the plastic grocery bags you see flying all over the place, stuck in trees, on the side of the road, etc, etc. I hate those bastages. AND they're petroleum based. Personally, I blame them for gas being $2.50 this morning. ;)

San Francisco to ban plastic grocery bags

SAN FRANCISCO, California (Reuters) -- San Francisco's Board of Supervisors voted Tuesday to become the first U.S. city to ban plastic bags from large supermarkets to help promote recycling.

Under the legislation, beginning in six months large supermarkets and drugstores will not be allowed to offer plastic bags made from petroleum products.

"Many [foreign] cities and nations have already implemented very similar legislation," said Ross Mirkarimi, the city legislator who championed the new law. "It's astounding that San Francisco would be the first U.S. city to follow suit."

"I am hopeful that other U.S. cities will also adopt similar legislation," he said. "Why wait for the federal government to enact legislation that gets to the core of this problem when local governments can just step up to the plate?"

The city's Department of the Environment said San Francisco uses 181 million plastic grocery bags annually. Plans dating back a decade to encourage recycling of the bags have largely failed, with shoppers returning just one percent of bags, said department spokesman Mark Westland.

Mirkarimi said the ban would save 450,000 gallons of oil a year and remove the need to send 1,400 tons of debris now sent annually to landfills. The new rules would, however, allow recyclable plastic bags, which are not widely used today.

A spokesman for San Francisco Mayor Gavin Newsom, who must approve or veto the legislation, called it sensible. "Chances are good that he is going to sign it," said Nathan Ballard.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/03/27/environment.baggs.reut/index.html

Widescreen
3/28/2007, 09:16 AM
"Why wait for the federal government to enact legislation that gets to the core of this problem when local governments can just step up to the plate?"
I don't have a problem with the ban but this comment is retarded. Yeah, the core of the oil problem is plastic bags. What a wonderful new US energy policy. Will it help? Sounds like it could. Is it the core of the problem? :rolleyes:

Mjcpr
3/28/2007, 09:18 AM
I don't have a problem with the ban but this comment is retarded. Yeah, the core of the oil problem is plastic bags. What a wonderful new US energy policy. Will it help? Sounds like it could. Is it the core of the problem? :rolleyes:

FYI - That isn't my quote as indicated by Widescreen's poor quoting tactics.

:D

sanantoniosooner
3/28/2007, 09:37 AM
Widescreen is known to really struggle in that area.

Fugue
3/28/2007, 09:38 AM

heh

:pop:

OU4LIFE
3/28/2007, 09:43 AM
I refuse to talk about plastic grocery bags.

skycat
3/28/2007, 10:15 AM
I've got at least two of those things stuck in trees in my back yard.

sooner_born_1960
3/28/2007, 10:17 AM
The tree-huggers are going to be up in arms over this.

skycat
3/28/2007, 10:21 AM
Those bags do make excellent canine poop reclamation sacks for when you take your dogs for a walk.

So they're not all bad.

OU4LIFE
3/28/2007, 10:23 AM
AND I can load up with about 30 of them at once when I'm carrying in my groceries. I can't do that with paper, people.

StoopTroup
3/28/2007, 10:28 AM
You can't wipe your butt with a plastic bag.

Hamhock
3/28/2007, 10:39 AM
You can't wipe your butt with a plastic bag.

oh yes you can

Dio
3/28/2007, 10:52 AM
This thread has taken an unexpected and disturbing turn.

Of course, this is the SO.

OUinFLA
3/28/2007, 12:04 PM
without plastic bags.........I'd have to buy some luggage.
I am so into alternative uses.

OU4LIFE
3/28/2007, 12:09 PM
what's next, paper garbage bags?

Lawn and Leaf paper bags?

SicEmBaylor
3/28/2007, 12:14 PM
Please. Make. Government. Stop.

I mean just stop..please.

Jimminy Crimson
3/28/2007, 01:01 PM
Gavin Newsom is an idiot.

skycat
3/28/2007, 01:03 PM
what's next, paper garbage bags?

Lawn and Leaf paper bags?

These are the only kind of lawn and leaf bag that they'll pick up in the city of Austin.

OU4LIFE
3/28/2007, 01:03 PM
Austin is the key word in that sentence.

Widescreen
3/28/2007, 01:11 PM

Indeed.

Petro-Sooner
3/28/2007, 01:19 PM
There is absolutly nothing wrong with petroleum products. They are earth friendly people!!! So use them.

:texan:

TUSooner
3/28/2007, 01:23 PM
I have NO problem with local action (especially in another locale :) ). And I hate them plastic dealies anyhow.
I might be concerned about "green coercion" if this were pushed as national policy. But it ain't, so let SF do whatever it wants.

tommieharris91
3/28/2007, 01:26 PM
I did not think i would be reading about plastic bags when I clicked on this thread.

BlondeSoonerGirl
3/28/2007, 01:36 PM
http://www.uneasysilence.com/wp-content/walmartgreeterbig.jpg

Now, I know we've all seen this pic but what are those lines under his boobies?

Scott D
3/28/2007, 01:41 PM

what do you expect, Widescreen is an admitted irresponsible bastard from a line of bastards. ;)

Fugue
3/28/2007, 01:43 PM
http://www.uneasysilence.com/wp-content/walmartgreeterbig.jpg

Now, I know we've all seen this pic but what are those lines under his boobies?

I'm gonna guess some tan line thing is going on there. I think if he sits in the sun with bad posture his boobs fold over.

OU4LIFE
3/28/2007, 01:53 PM
those are his muskles, he's ripped!

Sam Spade
3/28/2007, 02:12 PM

Yeah. We shouldn't have ANY laws at all.

Friggin' gov'mint

Sam Spade
3/28/2007, 02:12 PM
By the way, this just adds to my argument that we should completely legalize the use of hemp for making paper and rope and clothing. Hemp paper grocery bags would make everyone happy, even the tree huggers.

BlondeSoonerGirl
3/28/2007, 02:14 PM
those are his muskles, he's ripped!

http://www.russellvideo.com/images/_design-images/hands_over_eyes.jpg

Mjcpr
3/28/2007, 02:14 PM
By the way, this just adds to my argument that we should completely legalize the use of hemp for making paper and rope and clothing. Hemp paper grocery bags would make everyone happy, even the tree huggers.

Plus, grocery sales would triple!!

SicEmBaylor
3/28/2007, 02:18 PM
Yeah. We shouldn't have ANY laws at all.

Friggin' gov'mint

I don't think I said that.
Once again, you've displayed that you have the reading skills of a 2nd grader.

TopDaugIn2000
3/28/2007, 03:33 PM
I hate the plastic bags. I always ask for paper. ****es the sackers off. oh well.

Crest only offers paper, they rock.

Okla-homey
3/28/2007, 04:05 PM
As a member of the Church of Global Warming I would like to point out that paper sacks result in dead trees which are hacked to death to make paper.

Thus, if we went with mandatory paper sacks, CO levels would rise because we would have fewer trees making O's for us all to breathe and global temps would rise even faster. I for one favor lower CO levels over the occasional plastic sack-y eyesore flapping in the breeze.

The plastic bags are made from petroleum (dinosaurs which are already dead,) thus they don't hurt the environment and do not affect our CO levels in any way.

:D :D :D

skycat
3/28/2007, 04:07 PM
I don't understand how paper sacks lead to more people living in Colorado. :confused:

SicEmBaylor
3/28/2007, 04:07 PM
Heh, I've got a professor (got his PHD in meteorology from OU) who is going to go on his global warming rant next week.

He's bringing in his "charts" so I am looking forward to it.
Needless to say, he's not a believer.

Harry Beanbag
3/28/2007, 05:09 PM
Plus, grocery sales would triple!!

No kidding, it would be a neverending upward spiral. More hemp=munchies=more groceries=more hemp etc. etc.

Harry Beanbag
3/28/2007, 05:11 PM
As a member of the Church of Global Warming I would like to point out that paper sacks result in dead trees which are hacked to death to make paper.

Thus, if we went with mandatory paper sacks, CO levels would rise because we would have fewer trees making O's for us all to breathe and global temps would rise even faster. I for one favor lower CO levels over the occasional plastic sack-y eyesore flapping in the breeze.

The plastic bags are made from petroleum (dinosaurs which are already dead,) thus they don't hurt the environment and do not affect our CO levels in any way.

:D :D :D

After we chop down all the trees, those pesky plastic bags won't get hung up in the limbs anymore. There's a bright side to everything. :D

GrapevineSooner
3/28/2007, 05:11 PM
As somebody who endorses the rights of state's and city's to make their own laws, more power to San Francisco.

But I disagree with this law in much the same way I disagree with cities telling private establishments they can't allow smoking, even if smokers represent the vast majority of their clientele.

soonerboomer93
3/28/2007, 06:57 PM
they could always charge for the plastic bags

Here if I need a bag at the gocery store, there's a charge. Also, all trash has to go in the dumpster in a special bag, and those have to be purchased. The prices aren't that big, the trash one is $.50 and normal ones are cheaper. But even a small charge might be enough to keep the misers recycling more.

Rogue
3/28/2007, 07:47 PM
I think the "root of the problem" deal isn't about it being a petroleum product as much as it is a "pro-recycling" and anti-littering agenda.

Damn things never fit in a bathroom sized trash can but half of the people I know still try to use 'em.

Beef
3/28/2007, 08:57 PM
Is it that difficult for people to just recycle the plastic bags? I'm a big fan of them. They make excellent man-purses.

GrapevineSooner
3/29/2007, 09:42 AM
I honestly try to recycle them as much as I can. If I go to Wal-Mart, I grab a handful of them in my trunk so I can put them in the recycle bin in the lobby.

picasso
3/29/2007, 10:00 AM
dumbest thing I've ever heard of.

sooner_born_1960
3/29/2007, 10:01 AM
I think the "root of the problem" deal isn't about it being a petroleum product as much as it is a "pro-recycling" and anti-littering agenda.

Damn things never fit in a bathroom sized trash can but half of the people I know still try to use 'em.
What? Walmart sacks fit just fine in the bathroom. Target bags work in the taller kitchen trash cans.

sanantoniosooner
3/29/2007, 10:05 AM
dumbest thing I've ever heard of.
how does it compare to things you've said?

picasso
3/29/2007, 10:20 AM
how does it compare to things you've said?
as of late? fairly well.

this is just one more example of the stupidness that is San Francisco.
I'm loading up all of my extras and mailing them to their city council as we speak.

Sam Spade
3/30/2007, 01:15 PM
I don't think I said that.
Once again, you've displayed that you have the reading skills of a 2nd grader.
So my reading skills are on par with your dating skills?

SicEmBaylor
3/30/2007, 02:18 PM
So my reading skills are on par with your dating skills?
Yes.

Scott D
3/30/2007, 02:36 PM
just for Pat I brought home 3 extra grocery bags that were empty.

Mjcpr
3/30/2007, 02:38 PM
If you could sack up a few of the abandoned buildings, it might actually be an improvement there.

Scott D
3/30/2007, 02:39 PM
why? gives us good bonfire fodder, unlike Aggie ideas :D

Sam Spade
3/30/2007, 04:19 PM

Hmmm...yeah. I can see how my 2nd grade reading comprehension level made me misinterpret this...CRYSTAL CLEAR statement.

:rolleyes:

dolemitesooner
3/30/2007, 04:21 PM
Just Tell Las to hush his liberal pansie *** before he gets banned :D