PDA

View Full Version : Anyone with knowledge of Oklahoma tag agencies?

OUDoc
3/28/2007, 08:54 AM
I've mentioned this before, and I only get more ****ed the more I think about it. My license is up for renewal. About 1982-83 when I was 14 or 15, I got a motorcycle license. At 16, a driver's license. At some point in college (I think) I noticed the "M" endorsement for riding a motorcycle wasn't there anymore. It didn't matter at that time, you only needed a driver's license to ride a motorcycle, so I never mentioned it. At some point in the past few years, they changed the law without really notifying anyone. You could be "grandfathered-in" if you simply asked. I know several people who got the "M" endorsement who never took the motorcycle exam. I'm now stuck, having passed the written and driving portions of the motorcycle test years ago, without an "M". I don't even have a motorcycle anymore, but I ride other people's motorcycles from time to time, and would like to get another one some day.
My questions are:
-Does the computer system have that information so I can get the endorsement put back on?
-Can the people at the tag agency, if properly motivated, put it back on my license?

Okla-homey
3/28/2007, 09:13 AM
I've mentioned this before, and I only get more ****ed the more I think about it. My license is up for renewal. About 1982-83 when I was 14 or 15, I got a motorcycle license. At 16, a driver's license. At some point in college (I think) I noticed the "M" endorsement for riding a motorcycle wasn't there anymore. It didn't matter at that time, you only needed a driver's license to ride a motorcycle, so I never mentioned it. At some point in the past few years, they changed the law without really notifying anyone. You could be "grandfathered-in" if you simply asked. I know several people who got the "M" endorsement who never took the motorcycle exam. I'm now stuck, having passed the written and driving portions of the motorcycle test years ago, without an "M". I don't even have a motorcycle anymore, but I ride other people's motorcycles from time to time, and would like to get another one some day.
My questions are:
-Does the computer system have that information so I can get the endorsement put back on?
-Can the people at the tag agency, if properly motivated, put it back on my license?

Short answer: You're hosed. As you pointed out, There was no motorcyle endorsement In OK until 1990. There were only special motorcycle licenses for people between 14-16. For a long time after the endorsement requirment came in, when you turned 16 and got your regular DL, you could tell the examiner you rode motorcycles and they would include that designation on your DL. They actually continued that "grandfathering" until about two years ago (which is longer than the Feds would have liked BTW).

Also, and as an aside, when laws of general and neutral applicability change, generally, the legislature doesn't have to give notice to anyone.

In your case though, you gotta start all over because the "grandfathering" period is over. Questions? call Elaine in Ardmore at (580) 223-8664. She runs the tag agency in Ardmore and I got my tags from her for about 20 years while I was living all over the place but still running OK tags. She's a doll and I ran this by her before I wrote this response. She'll be happy to talk to you about it.

OUDoc
3/28/2007, 09:32 AM
Thanks, homey! I'll give her a call at lunch and see what she can tell me. Did she say if info from the early eighty's would still be in the system? My biggest gripe is that somewhere they have the info that I passed that test. So I don't see that I'm asking to be grandfathered-in, just that my prior test still should count.

BigRedJed
3/28/2007, 09:42 AM
Dude. The test takes 10 minutes at the DPS. It's multiple choice on a computer. If you're experienced enough on a motorcycle you should pass it without a problem. If you're not, you should take a motorcycle course for a refresher, anyway.

If you're lucky, Toby Keith will be there renewing his license and wearing Crocs and a pink golf shirt, and you can start a new thread about it.

Hamhock
3/28/2007, 09:52 AM
doc,

you ever do any time in the ED? how about organ harvesting?

just sayin....

OUDoc
3/28/2007, 09:54 AM
Dude. The test takes 10 minutes at the DPS. It's multiple choice on a computer. If you're experienced enough on a motorcycle you should pass it without a problem. If you're not, you should take a motorcycle course for a refresher, anyway.

You'd have to take the driving portion, too. And I don't have a motorcycle. And I already passed the test 23 years ago!

BigRedJed
3/28/2007, 09:57 AM
MOTORCYCLE COURSE!

BigRedJed
3/28/2007, 09:59 AM
Seriously, I rode for a long time without an endorsement, but was really glad that I took the course when I did it. I still learned quite a bit, even though I THOUGHT I was an experienced rider.

StoopTroup
3/28/2007, 10:03 AM
Why the heck would a Dr. with good sense get on a motorcycle anyway? ;)

OUDoc
3/28/2007, 10:16 AM
A big assumption there. :D

sooner_born_1960
3/28/2007, 10:20 AM
It's that God-complex thing.

BigRedJed
3/28/2007, 10:22 AM
Phhht. Most Harley riders these days ARE doctors and lawyers.

Mjcpr
3/28/2007, 10:35 AM
Wait, you have to have a special license for riding one of Jed's mopeds?

BigRedJed
3/28/2007, 10:43 AM
Yes. It's called an "I'm not a ****** license." Apparently, you don't have one.

Okla-homey
3/28/2007, 10:44 AM
Thanks, homey! I'll give her a call at lunch and see what she can tell me. Did she say if info from the early eighty's would still be in the system? My biggest gripe is that somewhere they have the info that I passed that test. So I don't see that I'm asking to be grandfathered-in, just that my prior test still should count.

Like I said above, it doesn't matter of there is a record of you ever having taken the test when you were a kiddo. The "grandfathering" period is over by legislative fiat. thus, you are back to square one and you'll have to take the test.

Mjcpr
3/28/2007, 10:44 AM
Yes. It's called an "I'm not a ******rocket license." Apparently, you don't have one.
BURN!!!

I'll be over here, in my place. :D

BigRedJed
3/28/2007, 10:47 AM
http://k41.pbase.com/o4/61/553361/1/64612196.UcTfJ6Bx.Wink.jpg

JohnnyMack
3/28/2007, 10:53 AM
Where's that link with all the grisly photos of the fatality motorcycle wrecks when you need it?

Robby6pack
3/28/2007, 10:54 AM
Doc,
I had the same problem. I even went and got the paper saying I was grand fathered in. Never took it to the tag agent for a new DL. I took a motorcycle course in the Marines so I could ride on base. BTW, take a course even if you are an experienced rider. You even get a discount on insurance. Anyway, I didn't have the papers saying I was grand fathered, there is no record of your previous M endorsement through state records. Back then, once you hit sixteen, you could legally ride without the "M." You will have to take the test. I had to take both written and riding because the paper card I received for my motorcycle course from 89 in 29 Palms CA was faded and could have been falsified. It's easy, but a pain in the ***.

Robby T

OUDoc
3/28/2007, 10:58 AM
Like I said above, it doesn't matter of there is a record of you ever having taken the test when you were a kiddo. The "grandfathering" period is over by legislative fiat. thus, you are back to square one and you'll have to take the test.
Okay. Maybe (apparently) I'm wrong, but if I passed the test and they have record I passed the test, I'm not being "grandfathered-in", am I? This is where I'm getting lost. I have (in theory) the license, they just screwed up and didn't put it on the card I carry.

Okla-homey
3/28/2007, 11:02 AM
Okay. Maybe (apparently) I'm wrong, but if I passed the test and they have record I passed the test, I'm not being "grandfathered-in", am I? This is where I'm getting lost. I have (in theory) the license, they just screwed up and didn't put it on the card I carry.

I'll bet you a bag of nickels and a free colonoscopy that you'll have to pass the CURRENT test to get your endorsement.

OUDoc
3/28/2007, 11:26 AM
I'll bet you a bag of nickels and a free colonoscopy that you'll have to pass the CURRENT test to get your endorsement.
:(

Hamhock
3/28/2007, 11:29 AM

wouldn't that be your fourth colonoscopy this month?

OUDoc
3/28/2007, 11:37 AM
wouldn't that be your fourth colonoscopy this month?
He likes his colon squeeky clean.

Chuck Bao
3/28/2007, 11:43 AM
I'm ****ed about this as well. I'm just like you, OUdoc. I got my license when I was 14 so I could stay after school and attend football or track practice.

The Madill tag agent is one of my good friends and she let me renew my license without the M! URRRGH!!!

Whenever I'm in the US, I drive my dad's Harley. I guess I should figure out how his insurance policy works. I'm just never at home long enough to study and take a license test.

Okla-homey
3/28/2007, 12:01 PM
He likes his colon squeeky clean.

A clean colon is a happy colon. ;)

Vaevictis
3/28/2007, 12:32 PM

Clearly, you're not in your right mind here.

You'd seriously let someone who lost a bet to you go anywhere near there?

OUDoc
3/28/2007, 12:49 PM
Elaine is very nice.
Elaine is of the impression that I'm screwed.
I'm going to check a few more connections before I give up.
It looks bad. :(

sanantoniosooner
3/28/2007, 12:52 PM
Take the test you wussy.

OUDoc
3/28/2007, 12:53 PM
Take the test you wussy.
I need to borrow your motorcycle first.

BigRedJed
3/28/2007, 12:55 PM
MOTORCYCLE COURSE!!

OUDoc
3/28/2007, 01:03 PM
MOTORCYCLE COURSE!!
Will milk be made available?

It's B.Y.O.Bike, right?

BigRedJed
3/28/2007, 01:10 PM
NOT BYOB. They supply the bikes. It's actually a fun weekend, and I felt like a better rider for taking it. Plus, as mentioned, a certification from the Motorcycle Safety Foundation should lower your insurance, if you buy a bike.

BigRedJed
3/28/2007, 01:11 PM
The advanced rider course allows you to BYOB, but that's not the one you take for getting your endorsement. If you pass the course, you don't have to take the rider test at the DPS.

OUDoc
3/28/2007, 01:11 PM
NOT BYOB. They supply the bikes. It's actually a fun weekend, and I felt like a better rider for taking it. Plus, as mentioned, a certification from the Motorcycle Safety Foundation should lower your insurance, if you buy a bike.
This place?
http://nm.msf-usa.org/msf/ridercourses.aspx?state=OK

BigRedJed
3/28/2007, 01:15 PM
Yep. Go to the OSU-OKC course. They get new bikes every year from Maxey's. 250cc screamers. :eek:

I initially took the course from the guy in Midwest City. He is an odd dude, and works out of a school bus. He has some old, broke-*** POS bikes. But it was still a good course, and he was entertaining. I've watched the OSU-OKC course without participating, and it is extremely professional. I plan on taking the advanced rider course there soon.

BigRedJed
3/28/2007, 01:15 PM
And when I say the Midwest City course, I mean MEO.

Robby6pack
3/28/2007, 01:19 PM
The motorcycle course is great info. Makes you a better rider. You get a discount on insurance, but not even close to making it worthwhile. At least not at state farm. Your discount is only valid for 3 years from date course is completed. It is a 10% discount. I pay somewhere around $100 a year in insurance. That's a savings of $30. Cost of course is ???? Anyone know how much they are now? Don't get me wrong, take the course. Just don't expect the insurance company to actually care. Now go buy a bike and take the test! The written is mostly traffic laws and common sense.

BigRedJed
3/28/2007, 01:19 PM
All you have to do is show up with a DOT helmet, shoes or boots that come over the ankle, and wearing full-length pants and a long-sleeve shirt or jacket.

BigRedJed
3/28/2007, 01:20 PM
I think the course is $165 or $175.

bluedogok
3/28/2007, 11:06 PM
The Under 16 Motorcycle License and the M Endorsement are two completely different things. I got my MC license when I was 14, when the CDL and M endorsement came into being (which cost me my commercial chauffeurs license) the state had a grace period for those who had the MC license to "grandfather" the M endorsement in. You had to go to DPS in person and apply for the endorsement in person, a tag agent could not add it but that ended in the mid 90's.

Taking the MSF course will waive the riding portion of the M endorsement so you only have to take the written exam. Plus there is usually an insurance discount with the course. My wife and I took the BRC (Basic Rider Course) a couple of weekends ago (I took it as defensive driving for a ticket out in the Hill Country and I took it 3 years ago) and she took it to see if she wanted to ride a bike of her own. It is $190 down here for the class and they provide the bikes, the state sets the price here. She did well and graduated and she had never driven a standard before or ridden so it was all new to her.

I had a friend who had the under 16 license but moved to Colorado before it went into effect so his OK MC license didn't matter. He took the course on his Honda Hurricane 1000 and said the test was difficult since it was all low speed handling and the big bikes have alot more weight to handle than the 125 or 250's the BRC uses.

Take the BRC for the riding waiver and insurance discount, it is worth the time and money.

C&CDean
3/29/2007, 06:52 AM
Just quit ****ing whining and go take the test. Geez. Jed will let you borrow one of those nifty little penis reducers he rides. Which brings me to a very import PSA:

If the motorcycle test in your state involves a bunch of weaving in-and-out of cones in a very tight parking lot with almost no room to turn around and putting a foot down disqualifies you, may I suggest you borrow your buddy's little Honda 350? Because, unless you're very experienced with a big dresser, it's hell to run it through the cone course.

In Oklahoma (at least when I got my M endorsement in 91) you had to wear a helmet (which I didn't own and went to the local pawnshop and "borrowed" one for the test) and then they gave you a little earpiece dealio and they drove behind you in a car as they gave you directions through your earpiece.

****ed me off about the helmet. I said "there's no helmet law here" and the lady said "there is if you want a motorcycle license." Stupid lady.

Turd_Ferguson
3/29/2007, 07:15 AM
Speaking of DMV people, WTF is it with the attitude. Are they just ****ed because they don't have a side arm?

Okla-homey
3/29/2007, 07:29 AM
Speaking of DMV people, WTF is it with the attitude. Are they just ****ed because they don't have a side arm?

You would be crabby too if you were constantly required to deflect plaintive wails and moans from aggrieved wanna-be motorcylists who demand their childhood scooter license count for purposes of a modern motorcyle endorsement.:D

Vaevictis
3/29/2007, 10:16 AM

Heh, also, imagine how many bratty 15-16 year olds you have to deal with in a day.

I'd have an attitude too.

BigRedJed
3/29/2007, 10:30 AM
Dean, I'm just glad that you've finally realized that some of us are well-endowed enough to not have to ride a Harley. Unlike most guys I see on big bikes, you can be damn sure when you see me on my scooter that I'm not trying to compensate for something.

C&CDean
3/29/2007, 10:43 AM
Dean, I'm just glad that you've finally realized that some of us are well-endowed enough to not have to ride a Harley. Unlike most guys I see on big bikes, you can be damn sure when you see me on my scooter that I'm not trying to compensate for something.

Compensation? Nay. If you're comfortable and feel really, really groovy riding a toy motorcycle, then it's simply called acceptance of a shortcoming.

BigRedJed
3/29/2007, 10:50 AM
All I know is that if my scooter is a "penis reducer," a big ole' Harley must by definition be a "penis extender." You people do the math.

C&CDean
3/29/2007, 10:54 AM
Sure Jed. Whatever gets you through the day...

BigRedJed
3/29/2007, 11:00 AM
Heh.

OUDoc
3/29/2007, 11:15 AM
You would be crabby too if you were constantly required to deflect plaintive wails and moans from aggrieved wanna-be motorcyclists who demand their childhood scooter license count for purposes of a modern motorcycle endorsement.:D
:texan: