PDA

View Full Version : Shoeless Joe's house to become a museum

Okla-homey
3/28/2007, 07:14 AM
I got this in an email from the owner of Trademark Properties, the SC real estate firm made famous by the "Flip This House" reality TV series. I guess Richard believes, "If he builds it, they will come." ;)

http://tlc.discovery.com/tvlistings/episode.jsp?episode=0&cpi=55525&gid=0&channel=TLC

Film brings home Shoeless Joe story

Updated: Tuesday, March 27, 2007 - 10:10 am

By Donna Isbell Walker
ENTERTAINMENT WRITER
[email protected]

CHARLESTON -- Shoeless Joe Jackson's Greenville home had its moment in the red-carpet spotlight Monday night at a gala event in Charleston, as a documentary detailing its renovation made its debut.

"A Home Run for Trademark," which premieres Saturday night on the TLC cable network, showcases the story of how Richard C. Davis, a Charleston real estate executive, purchased Jackson's run-down house on Greenville's Westside. It also tells how he renovated it and relocated it to serve as a museum dedicated to the Chicago White Sox player, who was banned from baseball as the result of a 1919 scandal.

The black-tie gala at Charleston's Riviera Theatre was the culmination of Davis' "passion project," a drive to restore Jackson's home that began two years ago when his 8-year-old son, Lyles, asked about the legacy of Jackson after attending a White Sox game and hearing the story of the baseball great whose reputation was tarnished by the scandal.

Davis learned that the small brick house was still standing, and he purchased the home and relocated it to the vicinity of the Greenville Drive's new West End Field.

But as the film shows, he had many hurdles to overcome, including the need to cut the house in two in order to move it.

The project, as well as Jackson's story, is one of "redemption and perseverence," Davis said, and also one of teamwork, necessitating the cooperation of Greenville city officials and real-estate executives from Greenville and Charleston, who worked together in order to make Davis' dream a reality.

Davis said the film tells a "South Carolina story."

frankensooner
3/28/2007, 10:40 AM
I really like that Flip this House. Good Show. Richard seems like a pretty bright guy and not too shabby at making money.

Petro-Sooner
3/28/2007, 10:42 AM
I love that show!!!! How do you know Richard?

BigRedJed
3/28/2007, 10:51 AM
Pretty cool. I visited the home field he played on when he played in the textile mill leagues. They have a memorial to him there. That's a sad, sad story.

Okla-homey
3/28/2007, 10:51 AM
I love that show!!!! How do you know Richard?

He's from James Island (west Ashley) and he and Mrs homey have some of the same peeps. He really is a nice guy. He makes alot of money but he doesn't scru people if he can avoid it.

Petro-Sooner
3/28/2007, 10:58 AM
Sweet. I've seen the reruns more times than I can count. Been waiting for the show to come back. Glad they are back on.

Okla-homey
3/28/2007, 11:05 AM
Sweet. I've seem the reruns more times than I can count. Been waiting for the show to come back. Glad they are back on.

You'll note that Richard's new episodes are going to run on TLC. He had some "creative differences" with the old channel.

Petro-Sooner
3/28/2007, 11:11 AM
Thats what I've heard. Looking forward to seeing more Ginger. Shes a cutie. Thanks for the heads up.

frankensooner
3/28/2007, 11:15 AM
I would like to go to one of their open houses and chow down on the grub they serve, it always looks good!

Scott D
3/28/2007, 12:01 PM
Joe....is.....innocent!

Jimminy Crimson
3/28/2007, 12:56 PM
Mmmmm, Ginger Alexander! :D

StoopTroup
3/28/2007, 12:59 PM
What about Mary Ann?