PDA

View Full Version : Will the Mavs Choke in the Playoffs?

Octavian
3/28/2007, 03:30 AM
or will they finally win it all?

Octavian
3/28/2007, 03:42 AM
voting ends before the playoffs begin...

OSUAggie
3/28/2007, 03:50 AM
Mavs = ****.

Boomer.....
3/28/2007, 09:18 AM
I think that they might have learned something from last year.

ouflak
3/28/2007, 09:46 AM
They came awfully close last year.... Kinda tough to call.

GrapevineSooner
3/30/2007, 01:28 PM
I think the better question should be 'Will the Suns Choke in the Playoffs?'

Right now, I'd say your Western Conference Finals is shaping up to be Dallas vs. San Antonio, especially after what's happened to the Suns since the Mavs handed them a win back on March 14th.

colleyvillesooner
3/30/2007, 02:08 PM
Mavs = ****.

Huh, awesome isn't four letters. :D

colleyvillesooner
3/30/2007, 02:09 PM
I like how they've gone from the worst team in the NBA to "chokers."

jk the sooner fan
3/30/2007, 02:39 PM
nash is starting to slow down, just like he did every year he was here....he just doesnt have the legs for an 82 game season.....second round of the playoffs and he'll fade fade fade

Scott D
3/30/2007, 02:41 PM
nash is starting to slow down, just like he did every year he was here....he just doesnt have the legs for an 82 game season.....second round of the playoffs and he'll fade fade fade

I'd say 90% of that is his spinal condition since that will never improve.

GrapevineSooner
3/30/2007, 03:11 PM
Hollinger (who else?) ranked his contract as one of the best in the NBA and wondered why the Mavs didn't match.

I'll give you a hint, Johnny. It wasn't the money per season. It's the length of the contract at 5 years.

Suerreal
4/2/2007, 11:31 PM
The Spurs, unlike last year, look to be peaking about the right time. Unfortunately, the Mavs haven't let up at all yet...

- Sue

Collier11
4/6/2007, 01:12 AM
I would be shocked if the mavs won it all! I think the Suns are better, I think the spurs are better, and I think that detroit or miami would have a shot. When it comes to the playoffs you need a point gaurd and I would take Tony Parker or Nash or Billups over harris and terry anyday! Dirk is a p^ss rocket who shys away from big moments, and they dont have anyone to gaurd duncan, shaq, or stoudamire. Just MHO though!

Collier11
4/6/2007, 01:14 AM
Hollinger (who else?) ranked his contract as one of the best in the NBA and wondered why the Mavs didn't match.

I'll give you a hint, Johnny. It wasn't the money per season. It's the length of the contract at 5 years.

Mark Cuban kicks himself everyday for giving up a two time MVP! I think with Nash they would be the best team in the NBA easily and I dont even like the MAVS!

colleyvillesooner
4/6/2007, 06:59 AM
Mark Cuban kicks himself everyday for giving up a two time MVP! I think with Nash they would be the best team in the NBA easily and I dont even like the MAVS!

Dirk would never have developed into the player he is now with Nash here. No chance. And Steve never would have found that motivation he needed (Cuban) to take it to the level he has.

Nash plays zero D. Parker lit him up for 35 last night.

I don't think an Avery coached Mavs with Nash would be as good as they are right now. And that comes from watching this team play every game.

JMHO.

Scott D
4/6/2007, 09:00 AM
The Suns only have their record by beating up on a weak western conference ;)

colleyvillesooner
4/6/2007, 09:33 AM
The Suns only have their record by beating up on a weak western conference ;)

Now that's funny!

GrapevineSooner
4/6/2007, 09:37 AM
Dirk would never have developed into the player he is now with Nash here. No chance. And Steve never would have found that motivation he needed (Cuban) to take it to the level he has.

Nash plays zero D. Parker lit him up for 35 last night.

I don't think an Avery coached Mavs with Nash would be as good as they are right now. And that comes from watching this team play every game.

JMHO.
If Nash had resigned here, he would have been traded by now because of his defense. And BTW, I don't feel he should have won the MVP at least one of the last two years. Year one, I can understand. By year two, the voters should have looked past his offensive prowess to see the glaring deficiencies on D.

I still stick by my second round predicition involving the Suns and Spurs, BTW. Spurs win that series in five games.

Because they wrote the book on team defense.

Beef
4/6/2007, 10:05 AM
The Nash thing cracks me up. I wonder if Nellie would still be coach if Cuban had re-signed Nash? Nash is a steal for Phoenix but it would be the a complete waste of money if he were in Dallas playing for Avery.

Collier11
4/6/2007, 10:22 AM
If Nash had resigned here, he would have been traded by now because of his defense.

By that theory, why hasnt Dirk been traded? My hamper can play better D than him!

GrapevineSooner
4/6/2007, 10:27 AM
You don't watch much NBA basketball, do you?

colleyvillesooner
4/6/2007, 10:27 AM
By that theory, why hasnt Dirk been traded? My hamper can play better D than him!

Because it's easier to deal with bad D at power forward than PG.

And Dirk has gotten better since Avery took over.

GrapevineSooner
4/6/2007, 10:57 AM
Yeah, Dirk's not the greatest defender in the world. But in a team system of defense (which is certainly lacking in Phoenix), he holds his own and is certainly more effective on defense than Nash is.

Collier11
4/6/2007, 11:49 AM
You don't watch much NBA basketball, do you?

Other than playing basketball for 17 years and following basketball since I was 10, I dont know much at all. Im not trying to one-up you though, I just dont think your theory holds up is all but thats just my opinion!

Scott D
4/6/2007, 01:19 PM
It's easier to expose a point guard who can't play defense than a power forward due to the way rotations should go. Nash is a liability defensively unless you've got an 80s David Robinson, 90s Shaq, 00's Ben Wallace type down inside the paint to erase his mistakes.

Scott D
4/6/2007, 01:20 PM
Now that's funny!

hah 2 teams held the mighty mighty superpower offensive Suns to less than 90 pts... both teams have generally been credited for being the top defenses in the NBA over the past 5 years :D

colleyvillesooner
4/6/2007, 01:56 PM
hah 2 teams held the mighty mighty superpower offensive Suns to less than 90 pts... both teams have generally been credited for being the top defenses in the NBA over the past 5 years :D

Yep. The Mavs just don't match up well with Pahoenix, but I'd love to see the Spurs and Suns bash each other around for a long series before the WCF. (provided the Mavs make it there)

Scott D
4/6/2007, 03:19 PM
I have my doubts about it being a long series with the way the Spurs are playing. Pahoenix's only chance is really the refs giving Stoutamire a lot of phantom calls in the vein of Wade.

GrapevineSooner
4/6/2007, 05:48 PM
You know, if Dallas does meet Pahoenix in the WCF, last night's game may be a God send for Avery as a How-to-defend-the-Suns video clinic.

1) Defend the three vigorously, even if means allowing shorter jumpers from two-point range.

2) Try to get Amare in a one-on-one situation instead of allowing him to run free off the pick and roll.

Scott D
4/6/2007, 07:08 PM
could probably watch tape of the way the Pistons abused them in Pahoenix also.

NormanPride
4/9/2007, 02:29 PM
Pahoenix is easy. Slow them down and muscle them around. They'd be the best 70s-80s team ever, but the current game is too physical for a team like that to truly be great.

Scott D
4/9/2007, 03:16 PM
as long as the refs let em play basketball and don't whistle their opponent for wadeian type phantom fouls. ;)

NormanPride
4/9/2007, 03:20 PM
Well, if the zebras start controlling the game, I start controlling the TV to another channel. I love my Spurs, but I will not support that crap the NBA pulls.

Scott D
4/9/2007, 03:46 PM
So am I the only one waiting for Wade to seriously reinjure his shoulder?

colleyvillesooner
4/9/2007, 03:51 PM
No, and if it happens, he'll been championed as a "Warrior" where most others would be thought down upon for not taking care of it properly.

NormanPride
4/9/2007, 03:55 PM
He'll be a "Warrior" who will never be able to play again. And in 5 years, nobody will remember who the **** he is. Just an immensely stupid decision to not sit out the season.

Scott D
4/9/2007, 03:58 PM
be interesting to see how effective he is making 6 turnovers a night. combine that with shaq's 5-8 missed free throws a night.

OSUAggie
4/9/2007, 04:25 PM
He'll be a "Warrior" who will never be able to play again. And in 5 years, nobody will remember who the **** he is. Just an immensely stupid decision to not sit out the season.

eh... People still know who Harold Miner is, so I think Wade's legendary south Florida status is safe.

Scott D
4/9/2007, 04:31 PM
hah...Harold Miner's legacy was the things that College dreams were made of.

NormanPride
4/16/2007, 11:14 AM
So I didn't get to watch the game last night... Duncan's ejection sounds like it was crap, though. Thoughts? I was glad to see a close game on your court... this playoffs should give everyone ulcers. :D

colleyvillesooner
4/16/2007, 11:22 AM
Looked like he was showing up Crawford. If it would have been Rasheed, no one would have thought it was crap. He was laughing at the ref, plain as day. Crawford is the wrong guy to do that to. Timmy is saying he didn't do anything, but would else do you expect.

He will probably be fined for saying this

"He came into the game with a personal vendetta against me," said Duncan, who had 16 points, seven rebounds, six assists and two blocks in his limited action. "It had to be because I didn't do anything the entire game. I said three words to him and the three words were, 'I got fouled' on a shot. ... That's all I said to him the entire game."

sanantoniosooner
4/16/2007, 11:25 AM
That's a Mav fan interpretation, plain as day. :D

colleyvillesooner
4/16/2007, 11:36 AM
I watched the game with the remaing stragglers from my Bachelor Party, a few who were Mavs fans, and they thought Duncan was showing him up too.

asswich. :D

GrapevineSooner
4/16/2007, 11:45 AM
"He came into the game with a personal vendetta against me," said Duncan, who had 16 points, seven rebounds, six assists and two blocks in his limited action. "It had to be because I didn't do anything the entire game. I said three words to him and the three words were, 'I got fouled' on a shot. ... That's all I said to him the entire game."

Crawford disagreed, saying that "he was complaining the whole game."

"And then he went over to the bench and he was over there doing the same stuff behind our back," Crawford said. "I hit him with one (technical) and he kept going over there, and I look over there and he's still complaining. So I threw him out."

Crawford spoke to a pool reporter before Duncan spoke to the media. Asked about Duncan not thinking he deserved to be tossed, Crawford said: "That's his opinion. He said nothing when he was walking off the court and he called me a piece of (expletive). Is that nothing?"

Don't know who to believe.

Obviously, I think Timmy's a great player but has a tendency to whine from time to time.

That having been said, I don't think under any circumstances should a ref get so agitated that he challenge a player to a fight.

And Joey Crawford is a piece of sh** in my book, anyway.

sanantoniosooner
4/16/2007, 11:47 AM
I watched the game with the remaing stragglers from my Bachelor Party, a few who were Mavs fans, and they thought Duncan was showing him up too.

asswich. :D
Wow.

DRUNK Mav fans.

That helps your case.:D

colleyvillesooner
4/16/2007, 11:59 AM
Wow.

DRUNK Mav fans.

That helps your case.:D

Heh, I meant weren't Mavs fans.

colleyvillesooner
4/16/2007, 12:00 PM
Don't know who to believe.

Obviously, I think Timmy's a great player but has a tendency to whine from time to time.

That having been said, I don't think under any circumstances should a ref get so agitated that he challenge a player to a fight.

And Joey Crawford is a piece of sh** in my book, anyway.

I doubt he meant "fight" as in physically throwdown.

GrapevineSooner
4/16/2007, 12:06 PM
Physical or non-physical, it doesn't matter.

A game official in any sport shouldn't challenge a player like that.

Give him a warning, tell him 'if you don't stop laughing, you're headed for an early shower.'

What Joey did smacks of a temper tantrum fueled power trip.

Scott D
4/16/2007, 01:36 PM
Crawford spoke to a pool reporter before Duncan spoke to the media. Asked about Duncan not thinking he deserved to be tossed, Crawford said: "That's his opinion. He said nothing when he was walking off the court and he called me a piece of (expletive). Is that nothing?"

The whole world saw him say that Joe....newsflash, you are a piece of (expletive). I already wrote Stern about how Crawford represents the wrong side of his evil empire.

colleyvillesooner
4/16/2007, 01:37 PM
The whole world saw him say that Joe....newsflash, you are a piece of (expletive). I already wrote Stern about how Crawford represents the wrong side of his evil empire.

Be sure and let us know what he says back. ;)

Scott D
4/16/2007, 01:40 PM
If I get a reply I'd expect it to be "I'm glad you enjoy our league, and our officials are the best in the world at what they do." ;)

NormanPride
4/16/2007, 03:57 PM
Hmm.. still, to get ejected from the bench you'd have to do some serious ****, unless the ref is singling you out. Tim whines, but he's by no means a trouble player, and that's something you reserve for trouble players like 'Sheed, etc.

Yet another story of a ref having too much of an impact on a game, IMO. I hope I'd say the same about Dirk, as well. I remember thinking AJ got a raw deal on all his early Ts.

Scott D
4/16/2007, 05:03 PM
hah...Crawford under investigation based on his decision making (between 2003 playoffs and yesterday)

sanantoniosooner
4/16/2007, 05:28 PM
According to local news, Tim has been ejected twice in 10 years.

both times by Crawford.

colleyvillesooner
4/16/2007, 06:10 PM
According to local news, Tim has been ejected twice in 10 years.

both times by Crawford.

From an espn article:

Duncan's only other career ejection -- on Feb. 4, 2002, after an exchange with Kevin Garnett got both guys tossed -- was rescinded by the league a day later.

sanantoniosooner
4/16/2007, 06:22 PM
From an espn article:
So, what are the odds this one will be tossed also? I'd say pretty good given the audio that's available. Joey comes across like Tim gave him a wedgie.

Mav fans should be intimately familiar with how hot headed Joey is.

colleyvillesooner
4/16/2007, 07:25 PM
Oh we are, after he tossed Nellie in SA for just standing there.

GrapevineSooner
4/16/2007, 08:00 PM
Furthermore (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7657736/)...

The Little General — the rags-to-riches fellow with the quick toothy smile, that charming chap who could talk a grizzly bear into forking over a salmon — was losing his cool. The final seconds were winding down in the first playoff game of Avery Johnson's coaching career, and his Mavericks had turned in a lackluster, losing performance against the Rockets.

So Johnson unleashed a tirade on referee Joey Crawford, an odd choice seeing as Crawford usually has a short fuse when it comes to tirades, not to mention that the Mavericks had shot 42 free throws in the game, 22 more than the Rockets. Yet, there was Johnson, stomping, eyes blazing, shouting repeatedly like a car alarm, "You swallowed your damn whistle, Joe! You swallowed your damn whistle!"

In explaining the outburst after the game, Johnson recalled his days as the point guard for the 1999 NBA champion Spurs, saying, "When we won that championship, Joey refereed the final game. I was just thanking him for that."

You know in light of this fact, I don't know why Spurs fans would have a problem with Joey. :D

sanantoniosooner
4/16/2007, 08:09 PM
Furthermore (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7657736/)...

You know in light of this fact, I don't know why Spurs fans would have a problem with Joey. :D
Well, for the same reason you sided against him in the first place. The dude is an a-hole regardless of batting average.

Same reason Lee Corso is an idiot even if he picks OU.

Same reason Mack is an idiot even if he beats OU.

Besides, the '99 series against the Knicks wasn't even a series, and it had nothing to do with biased calls.

GrapevineSooner
4/16/2007, 08:24 PM
SAS, it was a joke. Probably a bad one I suppose. Just that while thinking about some of the past run-ins that the Mavs have had with him, I simply recalled that quote from Avery after his first career playoff game as a coach and I tried to work it into this conversation as a moment of levity.

I wouldn't mind seeing Lord David punish Joey by denying him the opportunity to officiate any playoff games. Not that I'm holding my breath for such an occurrence.

This all reminds me when Steve Javie told Pat Riley how much fun he thought it was that the Heat were sucking right before Riles retired as coach during his first go around in Miami.

NormanPride
4/17/2007, 09:35 AM
I can't wait for NBA refs to make the jump to WWE ref status. I can just hear Walton's stupid voice now... "And the ball goes off Crawford's head! Here comes the Rockets bench to start turning the tide! And Kobe's on the ground bleeding! He's bleeding and the Rockets are practicing layups!"

That would be so awesome...

OSUAggie
4/17/2007, 10:23 AM
http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q128/lukin254/walton.jpg THROW IT DOWN!!!!

GrapevineSooner
4/17/2007, 01:01 PM
Crawford's gone. (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2840587)

For the rest of this season and the playoffs.

Good job, Stern.

No really, I mean it.

Scott D
4/17/2007, 01:07 PM
I wonder how many people emailed and called the NBA HQ about Crawford's display.

The only thing worse than Crawford's behavior was the Hue Hollins/Scottie Pippen incident in the playoffs against the Knicks in the Jordan retirement year.

sanantoniosooner
4/17/2007, 01:10 PM
I need some more Spur hating from CVS. :D

GrapevineSooner
4/17/2007, 01:12 PM
Though I agree wholeheartedly with the suspension, I can't help but ask...

If Joey would have done this to Sheed, would he be officiating some game tonight?

sanantoniosooner
4/17/2007, 01:16 PM
Though I agree wholeheartedly with the suspension, I can't help but ask...

If Joey would have done this to Sheed, would he be officiating some game tonight?
You know the answer is no. And it has as much or more to do with Sheed than with Duncan.

colleyvillesooner
4/17/2007, 01:25 PM
http://static.flickr.com/54/152902717_c33fcce713_m.jpg

Whaaa!!! The whittle wef said he wants to fight me! Sniff...Sniff.

:D

sanantoniosooner
4/17/2007, 01:30 PM
change that to "TEE HEE" and you got it.

And we have come full circle in this thread from CVS bashing Tim, to Time being exonerated, to CVS bashing Tim.

Obsession is a beautiful thing :D

colleyvillesooner
4/17/2007, 01:35 PM
Obsession is a beautiful thing :D

Says the guy that said this:

I need some more Spur hating from CVS.

Just keep counting those rings, cause Timmah ain't getting another one. :D

sanantoniosooner
4/17/2007, 01:36 PM
And that's all it took :D

colleyvillesooner
4/17/2007, 01:39 PM
OK, I'm feeling the hate now.

Hey look, Ginobli just flopped again. :D

sanantoniosooner
4/17/2007, 02:11 PM
Crawford's gone. (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2840587)

For the rest of this season and the playoffs.

Good job, Stern.

No really, I mean it.
From a Stern comment on Out Of Bounds it sounds like forever. Crawford's choice.

Scott D
4/17/2007, 03:03 PM
From Stern's comments 5 minutes ago on ESPNews, Crawford was pretty much on final warning status before Saturday's game.

GrapevineSooner
4/17/2007, 03:14 PM
From Stern's comments 5 minutes ago on ESPNews, Crawford was pretty much on final warning status before Saturday's game.

Well that answers the 'if he would have thrown Sheed out' question.

sanantoniosooner
4/17/2007, 03:16 PM
Funny that Mavs/Spurs are central to him getting nailed

Scott D
4/17/2007, 03:20 PM
Duncan getting fined 25 large for his comments about Crawford.

sanantoniosooner
4/17/2007, 03:21 PM
I guess the NBA can play both sides.

Scott D
4/17/2007, 03:24 PM
eh, it's fair. They hit anyone who says negative things about officiating with a fine. I figure Crawford's a bitter little troll because he couldn't hack it as a MLB umpire ;)

GrapevineSooner
4/17/2007, 03:31 PM
Duncan's not gonna be able to hit up my sister-in-law's friend at Gamestop for more games anytime soon. :D

colleyvillesooner
4/17/2007, 03:36 PM
The more money you make, the less **** you pay for.

NormanPride
4/17/2007, 04:08 PM
This is the best news the NBA has delivered since they retired the octopus-ball.

Scott D
4/17/2007, 04:10 PM
general consensus is that this suspension is paving the way for ole Joey to 'retire' after the season.

Suerreal
4/17/2007, 11:59 PM
From what I heard, Stern's initial proposal was to suspend Crawford for just the few remaining games until the playoffs.

Then Crawford mouthed off about how he'd do the exact same thing again, given the opportunity.

That was the reason for the suspension through the playoffs.

- Sue

Octavian
4/30/2007, 01:57 AM
Will the Mavs Choke in the Playoffs?

http://img402.imageshack.us/img402/4487/tumbleweedax2.gif (http://imageshack.us)

yermom
4/30/2007, 02:20 AM
so the Mavs are like the KU of the NBA?

jk the sooner fan
4/30/2007, 07:32 AM
ugh, i'm just sick to my stomach over this

ouflak
4/30/2007, 05:18 PM
Well I this question is about to get answered.

GrapevineSooner
5/1/2007, 11:11 AM
I still have faith.

But it's seriously being put to the test.

OSUAggie
5/1/2007, 02:31 PM
Mavs = ****. Still.

sanantoniosooner
5/1/2007, 03:55 PM
Mavs = ****. Still.
I would think that you would be sympathetic of all people.

The Mavs are pretty much the aggies of Texas NBA.

;)

OSUAggie
5/1/2007, 04:34 PM
I'm more sympathetic to ****ty teams. Like early 90's Mavs basketball. Plus I hate Jason Terry. And foreign players.