PDA

View Full Version : Anyone here a member of the Touchdown club?

batonrougesooner
3/27/2007, 04:33 PM
If so, what does it do for you? I know you get the 2.5 priority points from your donation, but what else? Is there a parking benefit involved? What about OU/Tx tickets?

JohnnyMack
3/27/2007, 04:56 PM
Oh, I thought you said Mile High Club.

I got nuthin'.

yermom
3/27/2007, 05:26 PM
i think there is a tent with food somewhere

i don't think that is near enough jack to get you parking or OU/TX tickets at the moment

MamaMia
3/27/2007, 05:33 PM
Yahoo Search had this...

http://www.outdclub.com/

sanantoniosooner
3/27/2007, 06:27 PM
Sex in the endzone?

monty
3/27/2007, 07:08 PM
I was looking at the OU TD club last year and thinking about it but i never got around to signing up. There are a few banquets, etc. if i recall. Let me know the goods if any of you find other benefits. Isn't there another club that has ranks such as silver, gold, etc.?

Not sure if any of these are enough to get in the OU/tx door though. Too bad i don't have an oil reservoir the size of Dallas on my property :O

yermom
3/27/2007, 07:18 PM
i think that's the Sooner Club

i'm not that sure what the relation between the two is

nativesooner
3/27/2007, 09:35 PM
My uncle is in the TD club. He gets priority points but that's about it. I think they have a tailgate before the game but he never makes it over there. The only way you'll get OU/TX tickets is if you donate a ton of $$ to the Sooner Club. Parking is easier to get on the lots by the soccer fields but you won't get any of the garages unless you donate $1000+per seat. Good luck!

SteelClip49
3/28/2007, 01:34 PM
Touchdown club is owned by Rick Knapp, quite a good fellow. The Sooner Club is the one with the tent with all the food. Well, for the last few seasons, it went from the tent to the old football practice indoor facility and it will remain there. Obviously you have to donate good sums of money and you get your passes. I think you get 2 as a member then it's an extra $40 for each pass. The food comes from all the well known restaurants nationally and locally. Alcohol as well and you need to have your hand stamped in order to get the alcohol. It's a neat deal that always takes place 2.5 hours before kickoff.

MamaMia
3/28/2007, 02:13 PM
The food associated with the VIP Sooner Club gathering is at the Training Facility east of the stadium, which is fun to try if the weather is cool. If its even a little warm outside, say....75 degrees or above, the place gets way too hot. Its been getting more and more crowded every year as well, which makes it feel horribly stuffy. Last year if you didnt get there within the first hour or so, it was almost impossible to find a place to sit unless some people left. It is nice that you get a chance to sample some low end type dishes from some of the restaurants in the area. As far as alcohol, they serve cool, but not cold wine coolers, and bottled Bacardi drinks, and warm beer on tap.

They also have a table set up to buy Sooner things. There's always some autographed Sooner memorabilia to make a bid on as well, however the starting prices have almost doubled in the last 2 years. I have found that purchasing items from Big Red, a Store Divided and the Sports Fanattic is much more financially sound. I did win a bid on a Teddy Lehman display 3 or 4 years ago. That was the week the profits went to the special Olympics so I made a bid since it was for a good cause. I don't think they do that anymore though. It would be nice if they did.

There's an announcer who gives away goodies like meal gift certificates, Sooner T-Shirts, OU baseball caps and such for people who traveled the most miles to get there and for others who can answer the Sooner trivia questions.

The cheerleaders show up and do a few cheers to get everyone all pumped up. It can be rather fun if, like I said, its not too crowded and warm. Do I think its worth 35 or 40.00 a pop? No, not in any way shape or form.

Phil
3/28/2007, 04:04 PM
Touchdown club is owned by Rick Knapp, quite a good fellow.

While I certainly agree that Rick is quite a good fellow, he doesn't actually own the TD Club. He is the executive director. The TD Club is a not-for-profit corporation that was started in 1947.

Sooner24
3/28/2007, 05:22 PM
I was a member from the late 70's until the early 90's. In those days it was only $100 to join and if you ever started getting OU/Texas tickets you would continue to do so as long as you stayed a member of the Touchdown Club. That was years before the Sooner Club was founded and it really killed the perks of the TD Club. Also the Touchdown Club parking was the practice field next to the stadium. The location was great for being about as close as you could get to the stadium but the getting out was another story. The only way in or out was the gate at the southwest corner and you would have thousands of cars trying to funnel out onto Lindsey with nobody directing traffic. It's easier to get out of Texas Motor Speedway after a race then it was to get out of that lot. Also that was where the real tailgating began at the Sooner football games back in the 70's.

goingoneight
3/29/2007, 01:51 AM
Sex in the endzone?

Or in the press box... no crowd to watch and all. :D

C&CDean
3/29/2007, 10:29 AM
The food associated with the VIP Sooner Club gathering is at the Training Facility east of the stadium, which is fun to try if the weather is cool. If its even a little warm outside, say....75 degrees or above, the place gets way too hot. Its been getting more and more crowded every year as well, which makes it feel horribly stuffy. Last year if you didnt get there within the first hour or so, it was almost impossible to find a place to sit unless some people left. It is nice that you get a chance to sample some low end type dishes from some of the restaurants in the area. As far as alcohol, they serve cool, but not cold wine coolers, and bottled Bacardi drinks, and warm beer on tap.

They also have a table set up to buy Sooner things. There's always some autographed Sooner memorabilia to make a bid on as well, however the starting prices have almost doubled in the last 2 years. I have found that purchasing items from Big Red, a Store Divided and the Sports Fanattic is much more financially sound. I did win a bid on a Teddy Lehman display 3 or 4 years ago. That was the week the profits went to the special Olympics so I made a bid since it was for a good cause. I don't think they do that anymore though. It would be nice if they did.

There's an announcer who gives away goodies like meal gift certificates, Sooner T-Shirts, OU baseball caps and such for people who traveled the most miles to get there and for others who can answer the Sooner trivia questions.

The cheerleaders show up and do a few cheers to get everyone all pumped up. It can be rather fun if, like I said, its not too crowded and warm. Do I think its worth 35 or 40.00 a pop? No, not in any way shape or form.

Oh. So instead of joining us for some FREE food and beverages and much greater company you go to this? Shame. On. You.

StoopTroup
3/29/2007, 10:59 AM
It just doesn't really matter IMO.

Nobody does a Pig Roast like SoonerFans.Com does.

We Rule.

MamaMia
3/29/2007, 11:39 AM
Oh. So instead of joining us for some FREE food and beverages and much greater company you go to this? Shame. On. You.
Uh oh, I am so busted. :O

Please, in my defense may I say that before we went to that Sooner Club dealio we spent most of our pre game time eating and drinking booze at the SAE house? We only hit the practice facility get together on our way into the stadium, and besides, we did have free wrist bands.

They don't allow booze at the frat house anymore and quite frankly that was the appeal for me. The best food was brought in by the booze drinkers and they don't even show up anymore. That place has really gone down hill. :P

Vaevictis
3/29/2007, 12:15 PM

If you're already donating a bunch of money, the Sooner Club food is free too. :D

MamaMia
3/29/2007, 03:59 PM
If you're already donating a bunch of money, the Sooner Club food is free too. :D
Thats very true, but the closest the VIP tailgate ever came to a free pig roast was a pan full of high dollar donation hot dogs. No comparison. :D

Tear Down This Wall
3/29/2007, 04:05 PM
I used to be in the Sooner Club. But, the benefits really dwindled. Free stuff became for-pay after the 2000 national title. I figured if they're now going to charge you to see the coaches when the come to town whether or not you're a member, why bother being a member?

Back in the day, Switzer would come to Dallas and give a very entertaining recruiting recap and it was free. Dad would take my brother and me every year. It was fun. Venables came down free in 1999. After the title, though, it became a pay to go thing. Screw it. There's enough recruiting information on the internet to go pay for something you though you'd already paid for with a Sooner Club membership.

lovesOU
3/30/2007, 07:43 AM
It is a minimum of $1500 to do the Sooner Club tailgate and that will probably increase since it has gotten so crowded. That kind of donation will get you TX tix also.