PDA

View Full Version : Why do they let idiots own cellphones?

Rhino
3/27/2007, 02:43 PM
All the people that can't talk and drive aside.

Going to the movie? Put it on silent. If it rings, for the love of all things holy, don't answer the ****ing thing!

Going to a funeral? TURN THAT **** OFF! Are you serious?

Work in an office? Stop being a *********! Turn it on silent so people don't have to hear your ****ty ringtone that you paid $2.49 for.

This girl in my office has that damn Rent song as her ringtone. I hear five hundred twenty five thousand six hundred minutes blare down the hall every hour because she doesn't know how to put her phone on silent. Of course, her phone is always buried in a bowl of thorns or something because it takes her a good twenty seconds to answer it.

And if you're going to buy ringtones, use some couth, jackass. Does your boss/grandma/professor want "My Humps" or "Smack That" infest their earspace?

At the end of last year, Hinder's "Lips of an Angel" ringtone was downloaded more than 1.2 million times. Are you ****ing kidding me? You have a song about cheating on your girl as your calling card? How big of a ********* do you have to be to have that as your ringtone?

HEY EVERYONE! LOOK AT ME! I WANT TO CHEAT ON MY GIRLFRIEND WITH MY EX-GIRLFRIEND! WHOOOOOOPPPEEEEEEEE!

If you do these things, chances are good that you're already a *********. People don't need you to remind them.

BigRedJed
3/27/2007, 02:48 PM
BEST.

POST.

EVAR.

Now I feel bad about making fun of you in the invisible mod-only thread in the South Oval.

Rhino
3/27/2007, 02:49 PM
I'll kill you.

BlondeSoonerGirl
3/27/2007, 02:50 PM
*snicker*

BigRedJed
3/27/2007, 02:51 PM
*snicker*
Whatever. You were doing it too. Now he's going to kill us both.

BlondeSoonerGirl
3/27/2007, 02:51 PM
'Snicker'...now there's a good name for a band.

BlondeSoonerGirl
3/27/2007, 02:52 PM
Or 'Head Bubble'...

BigRedJed
3/27/2007, 02:52 PM
*snicker*

yermom
3/27/2007, 02:54 PM
i'm in a movie, i can't talk now

Hamhock
3/27/2007, 03:01 PM
bowl of thorns....that's pretty good.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
3/27/2007, 03:02 PM
I was at an awards banquet a month or so ago. My colleague and I were assigned a table in the back of the room.

It was a table right next to the door.

About 10 minutes into the dinner, after they've asked everyone to turn their phones to silent, the phone of a woman sitting at our table rings. She could have politely excused herself since we were right by the door. That would have been too easy. Instead, she answered it. We glared at her and she hung up the phone.

The worst was when someone's phone went off during the prayer at church though.

mdklatt
3/27/2007, 03:05 PM
I wouldn't mind idiots having cellphones if they'd take their driver licenses away.

Hot Rod
3/27/2007, 03:06 PM
The worst was when someone's phone went off during the prayer at church though.

Hopefully, the ringtone wasn't a song that conflicted with the prayer.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
3/27/2007, 03:06 PM
Hopefully, the ringtone wasn't a song that conflicted with the prayer.I believe it was O.P.P.

jk the sooner fan
3/27/2007, 03:07 PM
i have to call people all day and continually get their crack rap songs..just floors me that this is what people want others to think of when they call

i get when the booty call friend is on the other end, they wont mind the crack song.....but you know, other "professional" type calls.......yeah not so much

mdklatt
3/27/2007, 03:12 PM
i have to call people all day and continually get their crack rap songs

You can hear the ringtones of the people you're calling? :confused:

Hamhock
3/27/2007, 03:18 PM

you can't? :confused:

OSUAggie
3/27/2007, 03:21 PM
What if you're a sales rep and you're in your office but still have to receive calls on your cell? Are you allowed to have it on at that point?

rufnek05
3/27/2007, 03:21 PM
[/SIZE]If you do these things, chances are good that you're already a *********. People don't need you to remind them.

kind of like this guy. being a ****** bag that is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajKwTO7F2G8

yermom
3/27/2007, 03:25 PM

ringback tones

teh ghey

mdklatt
3/27/2007, 03:30 PM
you can't? :confused:

I don't call people if I'm close enough to hear their phone ring.

:confused: :confused: :confused:

jk the sooner fan
3/27/2007, 03:30 PM

i dont know what its officially called

but instead of a ring tone, i hear whatever song the cell phone owner has chosen

its normally something gangsta rap, or words i cant make out

and its always really loud

mdklatt
3/27/2007, 03:33 PM

but instead of a ring tone, i hear whatever song the cell phone owner has chosen

Wow, I've never even heard of that. That's hella lame. That shouldn't even be legal. How are you even supposed to know the phone is ringing? If that happened to me I'd think my phone was ****ed up.

LilSooner
3/27/2007, 03:33 PM
What if you're a sales rep and you're in your office but still have to receive calls on your cell? Are you allowed to have it on at that point?

No because if your a sales rep your *** should be out selling not in your dag gum office.

Now get to selling slappy!

LilSooner
3/27/2007, 03:36 PM
All the people that can't talk and drive aside.

Going to the movie? Put it on silent. If it rings, for the love of all things holy, don't answer the ****ing thing!

Going to a funeral? TURN THAT **** OFF! Are you serious?

Work in an office? Stop being a *********! Turn it on silent so people don't have to hear your ****ty ringtone that you paid $2.49 for.

This girl in my office has that damn Rent song as her ringtone. I hear five hundred twenty five thousand six hundred minutes blare down the hall every hour because she doesn't know how to put her phone on silent. Of course, her phone is always buried in a bowl of thorns or something because it takes her a good twenty seconds to answer it.

And if you're going to buy ringtones, use some couth, jackass. Does your boss/grandma/professor want "My Humps" or "Smack That" infest their earspace?

At the end of last year, Hinder's "Lips of an Angel" ringtone was downloaded more than 1.2 million times. Are you ****ing kidding me? You have a song about cheating on your girl as your calling card? How big of a ********* do you have to be to have that as your ringtone?

HEY EVERYONE! LOOK AT ME! I WANT TO CHEAT ON MY GIRLFRIEND WITH MY EX-GIRLFRIEND! WHOOOOOOPPPEEEEEEEE!

If you do these things, chances are good that you're already a *********. People don't need you to remind them.

See this is why I am marrying this man, that and his love for all things Hinder.

Fraggle145
3/27/2007, 03:38 PM

Its called a ring back tone. No I dont have one...

Anyone know where I can get a Sooner Ring Back tone? :D

mdklatt
3/27/2007, 03:39 PM
Its called a ring back tone.

Is that anything like a holla back tone?

MamaMia
3/27/2007, 03:41 PM
Rhino, I couldn't agree more. I honestly believe that some people are addicted to their cell phones. My granddaughters other grandmother and I planned a lunch and a two hour shopping trip. She literally had a panic attack when she realized she had left her phone at home. She left me sitting at the Panera Bread for 20 minutes while she drove home to get it. I could understand if there was something going on and she was expecting an urgent call or something but there wasn't and besides, everyone knew she was with me and they have my number.

Another problem is the distraction cell phones cause. We pay the maid at the clinic by the hour. She also helps me at the house 3 hours every Friday. She would spend 20 to 30 minutes talking on her cell phone for every 3 hours she worked. She had a hard time staying focused on what she was doing. I added up that it was costing me more than $400.00 a year for her to talk on the phone, so Friday before last I told her there will be no more talking on the cell phone when she was on the clock. I suggested that she take a 15 minute break to catch up on her calls. She said "But what if its an emergency?" She does have a small child so I said to give our home and clinic number to the day care and to whomever is on her 'might have an emergency' list. So then last Friday the thing would ring rap music all day long, and she would stop whatever she was doing to look at her caller I.D., so I finally told her to keep the damn thing in her car. She was not a happy camper, so I may be looking for a new maid.

mdklatt
3/27/2007, 03:47 PM
Have cellphones really been around long enough that it's so impossible for people to imagine life without them? It's become like asking people to give up electricity or something. :rolleyes:

Chuck Bao
3/27/2007, 04:03 PM
I agree on the annoyance factor.

The odd thing, in my opinion, is that some people waste money talking on their cellphones about the most mundane and inconsequential of things. I'm left wondering how they can afford it.

But I'm not a phone guy. I'm going to ask what the caller wants within the first 15 seconds of the conversation, even if the caller is my mother.

jk the sooner fan
3/27/2007, 04:14 PM
a few days ago, i was sitting in a left turn lane waiting for the green arrow, the traffic coming from my right had the left turn arrow and were turning in front of me

i counted the number of cars that had drivers talking on their cell phone......

try it sometimes, the # will astound you

Fraggle145
3/27/2007, 04:16 PM
Have cellphones really been around long enough that it's so impossible for people to imagine life without them? It's become like asking people to give up electricity or something. :rolleyes:

I used to be this way... Then I realized that I hate the telephone and I dont need to talk on it. Basically you just have to start hounding people when they are trying to get things accomplised and they will learn to hate the phone too. Or get a psycho gf, or both....:eek: it worked for me.

yermom
3/27/2007, 04:21 PM

yes.

it's a lot harder to miss people somewhere, or get lost

texting Google is teh win as well

as much driving and traveling as i do, it's VERY useful

i wouldn't say i'm addicted, but i'm sure ****ed when i leave my phone somewhere, it's also the only watch i carry

Scott D
3/27/2007, 04:28 PM

call tones...yeah a lot of them are pretty annoying.

Scott D
3/27/2007, 04:29 PM

with as much travel as I do for my current job, the gps function in my phone is pretty handy. Plus it's nice to have it as security in case I break down and have to call AAA. Other than that I really don't use it all that much.

Scott D
3/27/2007, 04:30 PM
Oh, and Rhino. Is the main theme from The Godfather acceptable as a tone when I've got a text message? TIA :)

GottaHavePride
3/27/2007, 04:41 PM
On the train out of NYC to get back to Newark there was a guy on his cell phone telling someone that he can't figure out how he went over his minutes last month, and how expensive that was.

His conversation lasted 40 minutes. Well, at least - that was when I got off the damn train - he was still talking.

Hamhock
3/27/2007, 04:42 PM
BIG. BOY.

mdklatt
3/27/2007, 04:46 PM
I used to be this way... Then I realized that I hate the telephone and I dont need to talk on it.

Exactly. People are talking to each other more and more, but they have less to say. What does everybody do when they're bored? Call their friends and make them bored, too.

mdklatt
3/27/2007, 04:54 PM
yes.

it's a lot harder to miss people somewhere, or get lost

texting Google is teh win as well

as much driving and traveling as i do, it's VERY useful

i wouldn't say i'm addicted, but i'm sure ****ed when i leave my phone somewhere, it's also the only watch i carry

I think we've had this thread before....

Cellphones haven't really revolutionized anything, they just allow people to get away with stuff you couldn't get away with before. They encourage a lot of laziness and inconsiderate behavior. Why bother being on time when you can just call to say you're on the way? No need to look at a map, just call for directions while you're in the car. They're very convenient, but at what price? Is society going to crumble the next time a solar flare disrupts service?

Scott D
3/27/2007, 04:59 PM

Cellphones haven't really revolutionized anything, they just allow people to get away with stuff you couldn't get away with before. They encourage a lot of laziness and inconsiderate behavior. Why bother being on time when you can just call to say you're on the way? No need to look at a map, just call for directions while you're in the car. They're very convenient, but at what price? Is society going to crumble the next time a solar flare disrupts service?

QUIT HATING MY GPS!

mdklatt
3/27/2007, 05:00 PM
QUIT HATING MY GPS!

I think I'm slowly turning into a Luddite. :O

Scott D
3/27/2007, 05:02 PM
I think I'm slowly turning into a Luddite. :O

go spin me some wool muh****ah! :D

Scott D
3/27/2007, 05:04 PM
t-mobile's network would crash ;)

Zbird
3/27/2007, 07:23 PM

Wondering same. Guess my phone is just defective. I only hear the tones I set for people on mine.

Zbird
3/27/2007, 07:29 PM
a few days ago, i was sitting in a left turn lane waiting for the green arrow, the traffic coming from my right had the left turn arrow and were turning in front of me

i counted the number of cars that had drivers talking on their cell phone......

try it sometimes, the # will astound you

It's why I no longer keep ther 9mm within reach in the car.

yermom
3/27/2007, 07:33 PM

you've never gotten lost in a neighborhood? had a car break down?

meeting up with people at a crowded place, etc... are all things the cell phone makes easier

are these things necessary for survival? no. does it make things easier? yes.

not only that, i can call people that aren't in my local calling area for "free"

luddite.

that's probably why you don't like Macs too ;)

yermom
3/27/2007, 07:34 PM
Wondering same. Guess my phone is just defective. I only hear the tones I set for people on mine.

i think i have exactly one person i call that has one, they aren't that common

i thought i had gone straight to voicemail or something when it started

Scott D
3/27/2007, 07:42 PM

depends I think. For some the default setting is to give everyone the same calltone, and if you aren't adept at figuring out how to make groups for calltones, you end up with the jk complaint.

SleestakSooner
3/28/2007, 06:26 AM
I am sure this will sound misogynistic to some of you, but is it a reality or just my imagination that a good 80%-90% of people driving and yacking on the cell phone at the same time are female?

I for one can't wait to see this awful habit outlawed. How expensive and how hard to install are these hands-free units they could all be using to yack while they drive?

Have you ever been shopping or somewhere out in public and "overheard" one half of a conversation someone was having while yapping to a friend on their cell? These people will say things that it would take well over a few months of getting to know you to reveal. It just amazes me how often you hear people divulge private things in public while talking to a friend on the cell phone and becoming (it seems) oblivious to those standing right beside them in the check-out line.

Petro-Sooner
3/28/2007, 07:24 AM
Cell phones. Pfffftttt.......