PDA

View Full Version : Fox News' Latest "mock draft" has AD sliding......

OU-HSV
3/27/2007, 12:39 PM
....to none other than the 10th pick to the Texans???? :confused: :confused:
What do these "mock draft experts" smoke anyways??
(I know there are other draft threads out there...but I felt this was important enough to post in it's own thread to expose the stupidity of some of these "draft experts")
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/6613528?MSNHPHMA

MOCK DRAFT: Round 1
Pick Team Player Pos. School Class Previous Rising/Falling High/Low
1. Raiders JaMarcus Russell QB LSU Junior 1st SAME 1st / 1st
The Raiders' signing of Josh Booty last week hardly raised red flags in the Russell camp about being the No. 1 overall pick. And even if rumors about Oakland's interest in Daunte Culpepper prove to be true, Russell is a raw talent who could stand to spend a year being groomed behind a veteran.

VIDEO: Russell highlights

2. Lions Brady Quinn QB Notre Dame Senior 2nd SAME 2nd / 2nd
Expect plenty of action around this pick as the draft approaches. The Lions won't draft another receiver with a high first-round pick, and aren't in great need of a franchise left tackle. If the Browns or another team don't step up with a small ransom to move into this slot, Quinn could be the pick as the successor to 11th-year veteran Jon Kitna.

VIDEO: Quinn highlights

3. Browns Joe Thomas OT Wisconsin Senior 3rd SAME 3rd/ 3rd
With RB Jamal Lewis and LG Eric Steinbach already added via free agency, the Browns can create a formidable power running game with Thomas. And with QB Charlie Frye an unknown commodity and TE Kellen Winslow recovering from knee surgery, the offense needs a strong ground game to rely on.

VIDEO: Top linemen

4. Buccaneers Calvin Johnson WR Georgia Tech Junior 4th SAME 4th / 4th
In most drafts, a talent like Johnson would never make it this far. His combination of size and strength would have an immediate impact, and his big-play ability will be coveted with Joey Galloway entering his 13th season.

VIDEO: Johnson highlights

5. Cardinals Gaines Adams DE Clemson Senior 5th SAME 5th / 5th
The Cardinals need help at cornerback, but will be hard-pressed to justify selecting one out of this class with the fifth overall pick. The next best thing is to improve the pass rush to cut down on the time the cover men have to stick with their receivers. And with DE Bertrand Berry's recent injury history, the Cardinals need a long-term answer here.
6. Redskins Amobi Okoye DT Louisville Senior 9th (+3) 6th / 9th
Whether the Redskins view Omar Stoutmire as a starter or not, his signing last week gives the team more flexibility with this pick. This would be considered a bit of a reach for Okoye, but the 19-year-old with immense upside would provide another young talent alongside Kedric Golston to eventually supplant veterans Cornelius Griffin and Joe Salave'a.
7. Vikings Leon Hall CB Michigan Senior 7th SAME 7th / 7th
Fred Smoot is gone, and the Vikings need a reliable third corner behind starters Antoine Winfield and Cedric Griffin. Hall could fill that role immediately, and offers Pro Bowl talent down the road.
8. Falcons (from Texans) LaRon Landry S LSU Senior 6th (-2) 6th / 8th
Chris Crocker was terrible in coverage last season, and even if Jimmy Williams makes the conversion to safety this year, the Falcons will eventually need to replace 12th-year veteran Lawyer Milloy. Landry is in the mold of the new breed of safeties who can play either the free or strong side.
9. Dolphins Alan Branch DT Michigan Junior 13th (+4) 9th / 13th
Branch is slipping down most draft boards after a poor Combine and Pro Day. But he is still an imposing run stuffer who fills a massive need for the Dolphins. DT Keith Traylor is entering his 15th season, and Branch has far more potential than any other tackle on the ros
10. Texans (from Falcons) Adrian Peterson RB Oklahoma Junior 12th (+2) 10th / 12th
Even with Ahman Green and Ron Dayne on the roster, the Texans will be hard pressed to pass on Peterson should he fall this far. Green and Dayne aren't game-breakers at this point in their careers, and the Texans still need a big-play back for the long term. There is legitimate concern about Peterson's upright running style, but sharing the backfield for a year or two would allow Houston to test his durability.

VIDEO: Peterson highlights

11. 49ers Robert Meachem WR Tennessee Junior 16th (+5) 11th / 16th
Antonio Bryant is gone, replaced by another enigma in Ashley Lelie. QB Alex Smith needs more weapons to provide a balanced offense, and Meachem fits the bill. He has great hands and his workouts prove he has the potential to emerge as a No. 1 wideout.
12. Bills Patrick Willis LB Ole Miss Senior 11th (-1) 11th / 12th
Revis literally ran himself back into the top half of the first round with a 4.38-second 40-yard dash at his March 17 Pro Day. And with the Bills in desperate need of replacing CB Nate Clements, Revis can join Ashton Youboty in the competition to start opposite Terrence McGee.
13. Rams Darrelle Revis CB Pittsburgh Junior 18th (+5) 13th / 18th
The Rams have just four linebackers on the roster, and this pick could depend on whether they believe Willis can slide outside. He's one of the draft's top defensive talents, and the Rams need playmakers to flank MLB Will Witherspoon and improve their 31st-ranked run defense.
14. Panthers Levi Brown OT Penn State Senior 8th (-6) 8th / 14th
LT Travelle Wharton is expected to return from ACL surgery in time for training camp, but that hardly means he has a lock on the starting job. The Panthers' entire offense suffered due to spotty line play last season, and Brown would finally give Carolina the athletic left tackle it has sought for years.
15. Steelers Adam Carriker LB Nebraska Senior 17th (+2) 15th / 17th
Coach Mike Tomlin hasn't said whether he will use a 3-4 or 4-3 defensive scheme, but Carriker would be a fit for either. He's big enough to slide inside in a 4-3, and plays with the physicality outside ends need to maintain the edge in a 3-4.

I really don't get it.

deweydw
3/27/2007, 03:01 PM
I like it. :) Bring him to Houston. The Houston Chronicle's mock draft had AD going to Detroit.

Salt City Sooner
3/27/2007, 03:36 PM
(I know there are other draft threads out there...but I felt this was important enough to post in it's own thread to expose the stupidity of some of these "draft experts")

I really don't get it.
It's not a knock on AD. It's just that those teams ahead of Houston (with the possible exception of Cleveland, Lewis is only on a 1 year deal) have more pressing needs than RB.

Raiders- Jordan is more than adequate. OL & QB are where they need to focus.

Detroit- Again, OL & QB are bigger needs. They've got Kevin Jones, Tater Bell, & T.J. Duckett to split the load in the backfield.

Browns- Ditto above. Lewis is on the downside of his career, but he's still serviceable. Depending on what they think about Frye, it could very easily again be OL or QB

Bucs- Cadillac

Cards- Edge

'Skins'- Portis

Vikes- Taylor

Falcons- Dunn

'phins- Brown

Also, more often than not, you can get a pretty good RB in the mid to lower portion of the draft, something you can't say about a good chunk of the other positions, so some GM's tend to think of it as not quite as pressing of a need.

JohnnyMack
3/27/2007, 03:39 PM
I don't think you release a RB and sign a 30 something year old to a 1 year deal and expect to have that serve as your running game. I still say he goes to Cleveland.

Taxman71
3/27/2007, 03:41 PM
No way the Vikes or Falcons pass up on AD for the sake of Taylor (unproven) or Dunn (nearing end of career). Edge showed nothing last year without Peyton, Cadillac didn't approach his year 1 stats probably due to his size. Brown is coming along nicely and Portis is solid.

Taxman71
3/27/2007, 03:42 PM
I don't think you release a RB and sign a 30 something year old to a 1 year deal and expect to have that serve as your running game. I still say he goes to Cleveland.

Something tells me having Jamal Lewis as mentor for a year won't do alot to help AD.

stoops the eternal pimp
3/27/2007, 03:55 PM
lewis only 27 by the way, but its his 8 years in the league that has him slowing down. hard for a player with his running style to make it much longer

Salt City Sooner
3/27/2007, 06:04 PM
Wouldn't surprise me in the slightest (well, actually it would as it would make sense & these ARE the clowns we're talking about :D ). I'm just saying that there is some deductive reasoning behind what Fox is saying, even if we don't agree with it.

trwxxa
3/27/2007, 07:27 PM
As much as I would like to see AD here, I do not see it happening. It's not like the Texans only signed Green to a 1yr deal. More like 4yrs, $23mil.

The bidding war between Buffalo and GB heats up by this point.

OU-HSV
3/27/2007, 09:02 PM
Exactly. But, it's not so much 30 something as much as it is the guy is worn out. I mean, don't get me wrong, he's still got some good runs in him...but I could see AD coming in for their future. I just cant see AD sliding to the 10th overall pick.
I know the RB situation for the teams above the 10th pick, and there are teams that might have quality backs but are they the answer?? I think those teams could definitely stand to have AD on their squad as well.

JohnnyMack
3/27/2007, 10:06 PM
Exactly. But, it's not so much 30 something as much as it is the guy is worn out. I mean, don't get me wrong, he's still got some good runs in him...but I could see AD coming in for their future. I just cant see AD sliding to the 10th overall pick.
I know the RB situation for the teams above the 10th pick, and there are teams that might have quality backs but are they the answer?? I think those teams could definitely stand to have AD on their squad as well.

Worst case a team that could use a RB that drafts lower in the first round will trade up, I've said all along that AD has too much potential to be on the board after 9 picks.

birddog
3/28/2007, 03:30 AM
http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/10078250

tidbit on rufus.

SoonerRoads
3/28/2007, 05:34 AM

I really don't get it.

I think that they are still concerned about his durability.

deweydw
3/28/2007, 06:41 AM
:( Well, AD will not be coming to Houston. It looks as though the Texans are looking for an offensive tackle. At least that's the word this morning.

SoonerAtKU
3/28/2007, 10:47 AM
"The Raiders' signing of Josh Booty last week hardly raised red flags in the Russell camp about being the No. 1 overall pick. And even if rumors about Oakland's interest in Daunte Culpepper prove to be true, Russell is a raw talent who could stand to spend a year being groomed behind a veteran."

So...even though they signed a backup and will likely acquire a veteran starter just 2 years removed from being one of the top 3 QBs in the league, they should probably draft an overweight project QB with the #1 pick.

I'm thinking they go OL to make up for the bust that Gallery has turned into.

Salt City Sooner
3/28/2007, 10:49 AM
If he gets past Cleveland, IMO, he goes to Buffalo at #12 (barring somebody like a Green Bay trading up in front of them).

SoonerAtKU
3/28/2007, 10:52 AM
I could also honestly see Atlanta maybe picking him up. With the importance of having 2 quality backs in the NFL these days, AD and Dunn would represent an insane change of pace.

Easy180
3/28/2007, 11:06 AM
A Cleveland paper ran a piece recently about the Browns falling out of love with AD and may be looking to grab a QB instead

Would much rather see him go to ATL or Houston...Browns never on tv here

LittleWingSooner
3/28/2007, 11:19 AM
The Browns signed Lewis to a one year deal. He's not the long term answer there. They will draft AD.

birddog
3/28/2007, 11:21 AM
A Cleveland paper ran a piece recently about the Browns falling out of love with AD and may be looking to grab a QB instead

what was their reasoning?

TheHumanAlphabet
3/28/2007, 12:04 PM
Since Houston resigned Dominick, I doubt AD will go to Houston. The Chronicle has Houston trading for an OT to provide line support and QB protection with our new high priced QB...

sooner94
3/28/2007, 12:41 PM

I heard the same thing. It wasn't so much that they don't like AD, but they are really starting to like Brady Quinn. Maybe they liked his ND Pro Day performance.

OU-HSV
3/28/2007, 01:12 PM
I could also honestly see Atlanta maybe picking him up. With the importance of having 2 quality backs in the NFL these days, AD and Dunn would represent an insane change of pace.
I think that's very possible as well. Seems like Dunn has been in the league for a long time...this would give them a solid one-two punch and it would let AD learn from an experienced back (however, with a different running style).

JohnnyMack
3/28/2007, 01:44 PM
I think that's very possible as well. Seems like Dunn has been in the league for a long time...this would give them a solid one-two punch and it would let AD learn from an experienced back (however, with a different running style).

Since ATL has opted to keep Vick and Dunn and gotten rid of Schaub I don't see them needing a power running back.

Salt City Sooner
3/28/2007, 03:45 PM
I'd have to raise an eyebrow if Atlanta took him. Dunn shows no signs of slowing down (last year was his 3rd consecutive 1,000+ year, the first time he's ever done that), plus Jerious Norwood looked VERY good when he got in the game, averaging over 6 yards a pop.

Taxman71
3/28/2007, 03:52 PM
With Petrino as the new head coach in ATL, a new offensive system may or may not suit Dunn and Co. Dunn is 32 and his receiving yards have dropped while his rushing yards increased. It would still be hard to pass on AD if you are them.

buffalobill989
3/28/2007, 04:39 PM
i said it before & ill say it again, i think he ends up a bill. weve got a ton of picks and i think we might just try to move up a few to get him or hope that he falls to 12. its between a rb & lb at 12. i think its rb at 12 (if not ad then lynch) then we take a lb in 2 or 3:D

stoopified
3/28/2007, 05:27 PM
Dear GOD,please not Detroit.That is a burial ground for OU Heisman winners.

OU-HSV
3/28/2007, 06:26 PM
I'd have to raise an eyebrow if Atlanta took him. Dunn shows no signs of slowing down (last year was his 3rd consecutive 1,000+ year, the first time he's ever done that), plus Jerious Norwood looked VERY good when he got in the game, averaging over 6 yards a pop.
I know Dunn is good still, I had the guy on my fantasy team this last season. I'm simply saying they may want AD for some split time in the present and as their future franchise back (assuming he pans out as we think he will).

LittleWingSooner
3/28/2007, 06:31 PM
Dear GOD,please not Detroit.That is a burial ground for OU Heisman winners.

Billy Sims and Steve Owens had good pro careers.

trwxxa
3/28/2007, 07:21 PM
Since Houston resigned Dominick, I doubt AD will go to Houston. The Chronicle has Houston trading for an OT to provide line support and QB protection with our new high priced QB...

THA. Dominick was released last week. They had to free up cap space to sign Schaub and Leach.

goingoneight
3/29/2007, 01:38 AM
Gawd, the NFL is boring. No loyalty to the team, nor the city... it's all about the money. Your team will have it's fanbase when the win a superbowl, otherwise, it's trade, draft, fire coach, steal someone else's coach, fire that one, trade, do we have enough for this??? that??? Free agency :rolleyes:...

I would feel bad for these guys like AD if they weren't making millions of dollars to just play a game and smile for the camera. And I say that with love, AD. :D

TheHumanAlphabet
3/29/2007, 08:50 AM
THA. Dominick was released last week. They had to free up cap space to sign Schaub and Leach.

Travel to Korea and Chicago without going home and you miss it all... I thought Dominck was resigned, I guess they went with a FA at RB.

Thanks trwxxa... You must be in heaven today...;) Unfortuantely, I have to travel from ORD to IAH this afternoon, I wonder how much I will be delayed?

trwxxa
3/29/2007, 06:53 PM
Travel to Korea and Chicago without going home and you miss it all... I thought Dominck was resigned, I guess they went with a FA at RB.

Thanks trwxxa... You must be in heaven today...;) Unfortuantely, I have to travel from ORD to IAH this afternoon, I wonder how much I will be delayed?

You must have been in Korea for a while. They signed Ahman Green a few weeks ago and resigned Ron Dayne last week.

illinisooner
3/29/2007, 09:34 PM
Something tells me having Jamal Lewis as mentor for a year won't do alot to help AD.

I think it's more of an insurance policy so that AD won't have to come in and get 300 carries in his first season. Jamal can carry half the time, AD half the time, or however Romeo chooses to divy up the carries. That's just my two cents, although I could just as easily see them going with local kid Quinn.