PDA

View Full Version : "Gunboat diplomacy"

Jerk
3/27/2007, 09:34 AM
"Ya better give us back our sailors"

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/03/27/AR2007032700610.html

mdklatt
3/27/2007, 09:46 AM
U.S. Navy Cmdr. Kevin Aandahl said the U.S. maneuvers were not organized in response to the capture of the British sailors _ nor were they meant to threaten the Islamic Republic, whose navy operates in the same waters.

Riiiiight....

What's the point of being intimdating if we deny that we're trying to be intimdating?

picasso
3/27/2007, 09:52 AM
even Mean Joe Greene smiled once in a while.

OklahomaTuba
3/27/2007, 01:01 PM
Well, since they are already there...

Harry Beanbag
3/27/2007, 04:55 PM
Riiiiight....

What's the point of being intimdating if we deny that we're trying to be intimdating?

Well, there was also this from the article:

While they would not say when the war games were planned, U.S. commanders insisted the exercises were not a direct response to Friday's seizure of the 15 British sailors and marines, but they also made clear that the flexing of the Navy's military might was intended as a warning.

So yeah, it's not a direct response, but Iran, if they have more brains than balls (which is debatable), knows what's going on. We had two battle groups in the Gulf to play games with each other, which also acts as a reminder to anyone paying attention that Iran's little circus navy could cease to exist in one day if we so desired.

We've had at least one battle group in the Persian Gulf for like twenty years now as a show of force or intimidation if you will. And drills are run everyday. Now there are two battle groups there. I'm guessing the Eisenhower group was scheduled to be relieved by the Stennis group but was held over due to these rising tensions.

Same thing happened to us over there because Saddam was farting too loudly or something at the time. Screwed us out of one of our Australian port calls. :mad:

Scott D
3/27/2007, 05:03 PM
"Ya better give us back our sailors"

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/03/27/AR2007032700610.html

really, am *I* the only one who pictured Mel Gibson here?

"GIVE ME BACK MY SAILORS!"

mdklatt
3/27/2007, 05:07 PM
really, am *I* the only one who pictured Mel Gibson here?

This is who we need to deal with Iran. He speaks Crazy just like Ahmedinanaijdanadad.

reevie
3/27/2007, 05:14 PM
Iran is only poking the dog through the fence right now because they know they won't get bit. They're just seeing how much they can get away with right now until they realize the dog is going to jump the fence.