PDA

View Full Version : SportsLine's 2007 PreSeason Top 25

Octavian
3/26/2007, 10:46 PM
1. USC: Still trying to understand why running back Marc Tyler signed in February and quarterback Mitch Mustain is considering transferring from Arkansas. Tyler is one of 10 first-team prep All-America running backs on the spring depth chart. At quarterback, backup Mark Sanchez has three years left. USC loves incoming freshman Aaron Corp, too. Is it possible to have too many good players?

2. Michigan: Big Ten favorites are loaded on offense. The defense has questions, like how a unit that was one of the best in school history unraveled against Ohio State and USC. Now it faces those NFL defections. But the Wolverines won't be tested (maybe) until a Nov. 3 game at Michigan State. The first four are at home.

3. West Virginia: With two Heisman candidates (Steve Slaton and Patrick White), this might be the nation's most explosive offense. The difference between Big East title and national title is the defense. Rich Rodriguez has to quit winning shootouts.

4. LSU: What does it say that in his third season, quarterback Ryan Perrilloux is still not a threat to lead the Tigers? Senior Matt Flynn has been the loyal soldier and will be the quarterback. Unfortunately, the whole season revolves around him. Flynn will have to channel Matt Mauck get the Tigers to the top.

5. Florida: With grizzled veteran Tim Tebow now at quarterback, the Gators will be going downfield more. That's bad, bad news for opponents who couldn't cope with Chris Leak. There's a lot of payback out there in the SEC. One suggestion: Bring in Joakim Noah for a preseason talk about defending a championship.

6. Wisconsin: The Next Great Young Coach, Bret Bielema, goes into '07 with the second-best team in the Big Ten. The Wolverines were their only loss last year. As usual, the biggest question is quarterback. This being Wisconsin, it doesn't seem to matter. You might watch, though, Kansas State dual-threat transfer Allan Evridge.

7. Louisville: The Cardinals remained title contenders the moment Brian Brohm decided to stay for his senior year. Louisville lost its head coach (Bobby Petrino) and defensive coordinator (Keith Patterson), but the program should continue to run seamlessly. The defense will have to start making some plays to get to the championship level. It cost the Cards in that shocking loss to Rutgers.

8. Texas: The 'Horns had three great -- not good -- defensive backs last year. So how did they finish 99th in pass defense? That number suggests the loss of Thorpe Award winner Aaron Ross, Tarell Brown and Michael Griffin won't be that big a deal. But it's an area Mack Brown will have to shore up.

9. UCLA: One of the best quarterback battles in the country is shaping up with junior Pat Cowan going against junior Ben Olson. Cowan started eight games last season after Olson was injured, throwing for 1,700 yards. Olson, in his 37th year of eligibility, is the better physical specimen. Cowan has the love and momentum from that USC victory.

10. Oklahoma: The Sooners have had more than 3½ months to stew in the juices of that Boise State loss -- on DVD for $24.95 if you can't get enough. A season of upheaval and the loss of Adrian Peterson suggest a down year. Bob Stoops has your down year right here. The spring will be spent finding a new quarterback. Oklahoma might be just as good at running back with plenty of depth.

11. Auburn: Kind of a tossup to see who finishes second in the SEC West. Auburn's defense will keep it in games. Now Brandon Cox has to start making more plays.

12. Virginia Tech: I have loved LB Xavier Adibi since I first saw him. Same with RB Branden Ore. We'll know about the Hokies after a Sept. 8 game at LSU.

13. TCU: The Frogs always seem to be the prettiest girl at the non-BCS prom. Now she has to put out, er, TCU has to win enough games to become this year's Boise.

14. Tennessee: We're going to give Erik Ainge the benefit of the doubt and assume his knee will be 100 percent and will hold up through a brutal schedule. You know what happens when you assume.

15. Arkansas: Houston Nutt says the Hogs will work on "a lot of downfield passing." Wait a minute. Wasn't Mustain pretty good at that?

16. California: Fans are worried that Jeff Tedford will leave because tree huggers are blocking stadium improvements. Could that void his contract if the upgrades aren't made? Stay tuned.

17. Rutgers: Greg Schiano is in for the long haul. New York has bought in. Ray Rice is a Heisman candidate. Looks like the best season since 1869.

18. Ohio State: Whoops, Florida just scored again. Now that the Buckeyes are down, the Big Ten's Season of Revenge begins Sept. 22.

19. Boise State: To get the Broncos' minds straight, the strength coach won't allow Fiesta Bowl gear in the weight room. The troubling thing is, thongs are optional.

20. Georgia: Razor's edge -- Dawgs won five games by a touchdown or less. Which way will those games go this year? Mark Richt went for a quick fix, landing several JUCOs.

21. South Carolina: For the most part, Steve Spurrier's first two teams have been dominated by defense. Cocks need to entertain on offense, beat Florida and finish second in the SEC East.

22. Notre Dame: Jimmy Clausen will debut at some point in the fall. That's the upside. Downside: Will Irish Nation stomach an 8-4 or 7-5 season?

23. Texas A&M: Watch for a three-team race in the Big 12 South. Coach Fran pulled off a job-saving season. You have the players, Fran (hint, hint).

24. Florida State: This ranking is based strictly on Bobby Bowden's reshuffling of the staff. In one of the more startling developments, Jimbo Fisher is now No. 2 on the depth chart behind Drew Weatherford.

25. Kentucky: 'Cats need a football team Billy Donovan can be proud of. Andre Woodson is suddenly the SEC's best quarterback.

Full Article (http://www.sportsline.com/collegefootball/story/10089235)

poke4christ
3/26/2007, 10:58 PM
I think the big 12 team placement is fairly accurate. I might throw Nebraska into the Top 25 though. 3 months ago Dodd had OSU in the top 25, however, I think he's got it right now with them being just outside of it. Around 35 I think is about right for now. We'll see what happens when the season gets here.

Octavian
3/26/2007, 11:11 PM
18. Ohio State: Whoops, Florida just scored again. Now that the Buckeyes are down, the Big Ten's Season of Revenge begins Sept. 22.

*snickers*

goingoneight
3/26/2007, 11:45 PM
I can agree with everyone that we'll need to adjust defensively too the losses of RUUU and Co. And yes, the QB could be boom or bust, but the loss of Adrian Peterson (though we all love him and will miss him) won't kill us. We were, in fact... undefeated without him in 2006.

If OUr running game gets shut down, yeah that sucks, but it forces KW to be more creative with the offense. Where would we have been if AP ran it up the middle on that 3rd and long in the BIG 12 Championship Game on OUr goal line? We'd have taken a safety and the night might not have been so hot for us. Instead, we whipped out a TE pass, a few rollouts to showcase OUr WR talent, a fullback screen... you remember. 98 yard TD drive thanks to thinking outside the box.
I'm one to think that While AD was a sensational talent, 35 carries right up the middle was boring, dangerous, time consuming and didn't do any good to the fantastic talents we has surrounding AD.

To give the article credit... #10 is honest to gawd, a good rank... and likely where we'll be at the season's end with a loss or two.

auto
3/27/2007, 07:03 AM
damn, where is that team with the worlds most powerful offense?:D :D

MichiganSooner
3/27/2007, 07:36 AM
Compare that team with the world's greatest offense to what is said above about West Virginia.

TripleOption14
3/27/2007, 07:36 AM
As much as I hate to admit it you can go ahead and replace the Badgers with the Luckeyes. The only thing the Luckeyes honestly need to replace is the QB and word around the campfire up here is they already have. And as far as replacing Ginn and Gonzo goes it would be like OU replacing Kelly and Iglesias with Tennell and M. Johnson. Slight dropoff but still pretty damn good. So the 18 position is hard for me to see.

As far as OU goes.... as soon as they figure out who the "man" is gonna be behind center i think this team is gonna a FORCE!!! I feel the stars aligning gentlemen!!! :D

mxATVracer10
3/27/2007, 07:42 AM
Bob Stoops has your down year right here.

Greatest line in the post! :pop:

poke4christ
3/27/2007, 09:04 AM
damn, where is that team with the worlds most powerful offense?:D :D

playing in the NFL

JohnnyMack
3/27/2007, 09:08 AM
I think the big 12 team placement is fairly accurate. I might throw Nebraska into the Top 25 though. 3 months ago Dodd had OSU in the top 25, however, I think he's got it right now with them being just outside of it. Around 35 I think is about right for now. We'll see what happens when the season gets here.

With your schedule you should be happy with 35th.

StuIsTheMan
3/27/2007, 09:10 AM
As much as I hate to admit it you can go ahead and replace the Badgers with the Luckeyes. The only thing the Luckeyes honestly need to replace is the QB and word around the campfire up here is they already have. And as far as replacing Ginn and Gonzo goes it would be like OU replacing Kelly and Iglesias with Tennell and M. Johnson. Slight dropoff but still pretty damn good. So the 18 position is hard for me to see.

As far as OU goes.... as soon as they figure out who the "man" is gonna be behind center i think this team is gonna a FORCE!!! I feel the stars aligning gentlemen!!! :D

TESTIFY MY BROTHA...

The Maestro
3/27/2007, 10:16 AM
I'm sorry, but the West Virginia hype is a bit much for me to handle. And does Wisconsin finally have to play a decent schedule this year? I am not trying to trash teams to find our way to the top of this poll...doesn't really matter...but I cannot see why some of those teams are thought to be better than what we have. I guess the unproven QB issue will loom large nationally until proven otherwise.

Salt City Sooner
3/27/2007, 10:30 AM
I'm sorry, but the West Virginia hype is a bit much for me to handle. And does Wisconsin finally have to play a decent schedule this year? I am not trying to trash teams to find our way to the top of this poll...doesn't really matter...but I cannot see why some of those teams are thought to be better than what we have. I guess the unproven QB issue will loom large nationally until proven otherwise.
Pretty good. They've got Wazzu in the OOC, trips to Penn St. Ohio St., & Minnesota in the B10, plus they get Meatchicken at home. I've seen worse.

Collier11
3/27/2007, 10:45 AM
playing in the NFL.......Europe??? ;)

poke4christ
3/27/2007, 10:52 AM
.......Europe??? ;)

I was talking about the colts.

poke4christ
3/27/2007, 10:53 AM
With your schedule you should be happy with 35th.

Probably, it all depends on what the Defense does.

Seamus
3/27/2007, 12:42 PM
Greatest line in the post! :pop:

Yah, that one's good, but this one is awesome when you think about it:

17. Rutgers: Looks like the best season since 1869.

ROFL! Greatest line EVAR (until the next one).

JohnnyMack
3/27/2007, 01:01 PM
Probably, it all depends on what the Defense does.

You forgot already? Here's a reminder, it looks like this:

http://www.qis.net/~champion/images/hhs/paper-drive-1.jpg

Landthief 1972
3/27/2007, 01:41 PM
You forgot already? Here's a reminder, it looks like this:

http://www.qis.net/~champion/images/hhs/paper-drive-1.jpg

LOL! Post of the Day!

soonerboy_odanorth
3/27/2007, 01:52 PM
Not a horrible assessment...which is rare from these hacks who normally are worse pot-stirrers than we are (well, at least than I am).

So I'll run it down with my adjustments (totally objective mind you :D ):

1. USC... I get it. As much as I hope they lose every freaking game I'm on board with this preseason ranking with all the talent they have coming back, but defensively more than offensively. It'll be fun watching them stub their toe again this year against whomever. Maybe a finally non-hyped Cal gets over against them.

2. Florida (up from 5)... They are loaded and easily the class of the SEC this year. Their only challenge (only because they play there) should be LSU.

3. Wisconsin (up from 6).... The way things shook out at the end of the year I think tOSU got a serious break not having to play 'sconi last year. They'll get their shot this year at tOSU. But the rest of their sched is ultra favorable. They had a great year last year and were very young. Most of the real talent is back on both sides of the ball. (Nobody is crying over their departed QB.) And I'm a believer in the Bielema defensive system. We had a little misfortune with his schemes, you might recall. Besides, the BigTenleven is some weak sauce this year.

4. LSU... Talk about your favorable scheds. Their very toughest game on the road is at Alabama... a rebuilding Alabama operating on a new system. They have tough games, but they're all in Death Valley. They have great returning talent on both sides. The Florida game ought to be seismic.

5. Michigan (down from 2)... They are super talented on offense. Their defense took some hits though. Best reason for them staying in the hunt right up until their last two games where they will melt down in true Meatchicken fashion? Charmin-soft scheduling.

6. West Virginia (down from 3)... He hit it on the head. Are they going to learn to play defense this year?

7. Oklahoma (up from 10).... QB. That's it. If one of these guys has that "it" there is no reason we shouldn't expect a moonshot.... that is, to compete for all the marbles. But QB is a pretty large "if".

8. Texas... yes, lots of talent returns, but lots of talent departed... especially "between the headsets." I think we should take them unless they somehow keep that RRS-streaky confidence thing up and running.

9. Va Tech (up from 12)... Another year removed from the Hokies' version of "The (stomping) Idiot" is not going to hurt this squad. Besides they were the best overall team in the ACC in what was just a really screwy year for that league. And again, they were another of those young teams that performed really well. They should easily be the class of the ACC this year. (Caution: A re-invigorated Miami could take this spot. They've got the talent. Again I say beware Miami.)

10. TCU (up from 13)... You've been warned, shorthorns.

Dropped from my Top 10:

Louisville (from 7)... Brohm can't do it by himself, and I still don't think the overall defensive talent is there.

UCLA (from 9)... This one was my only "huh?" 9 based on what?... a once every 10 years upset of your biggest rival? This team lost 6 games including getting stomped by a very mediocre FSU club that is still on its way down, IMO. No way. (Now watch them go to the Rose Bowl... given my prognosticative powers...)

Herr Scholz
3/27/2007, 02:54 PM
7. Oklahoma (up from 10).... QB. That's it. If one of these guys has that "it" there is no reason we shouldn't expect a moonshot.... that is, to compete for all the marbles. But QB is a pretty large "if".

8. Texas... yes, lots of talent returns, but lots of talent departed... especially "between the headsets." I think we should take them unless they somehow keep that RRS-streaky confidence thing up and running.

Just curious because I'm really not up on the OU depth chart, but didn't you guys lose a lot in your front 7 on D? Like 3 of your best DEs and a couple of LBs?

I would also submit, as a Longhorn fan, that our LB play has nowhere to go but up. Also, I think the addition of Mac Duff as Co-DC with Akina will make our scheming better (as they are on the same page unlike Chizik and Akina).

Both teams have lost some players but will be loaded with talent like always. Just my $.02

Collier11
3/27/2007, 03:13 PM
Yes! Our d-line is a question mark, we have a lot of young talent but not many proven players. LB, we lost two starters including the conference Defensive player of the year, but I think that everyone including coaches thinks that we have gotten more athletic at that spot. As long as we show consistency, LB shouldnt be a problem!

Collier11
3/27/2007, 03:16 PM
The thing that worries me more than anything is the safety position. We return 1 starter in Williams but he has been hurt all spring, we have 3 young guys going for those postitions cus Reggie Smith has moved back to corner. If we can find two sold safeties that wont give up big plays, we should be fine. OUr D-line didnt produce a whole lot last year, we got good movement up front but we didnt finish as many plays ala sacks and tackles for loss as we should from the d-line....IMO

Herr Scholz
3/27/2007, 03:20 PM
Thanks, Collier. In all fairness, I will say my Longhorns have big question marks at OL (as well as the running game) and also in our secondary. Could turn out very good but also could take a while to gel.

Both teams are very talented at the two-deep at every position though. That's not in question.

Collier11
3/27/2007, 03:23 PM
The difference IMHO between the two schools this year is the difference we have had the last two years that texas won, that being the o-line. I think even you could admit that last year, turnovers are what beat OU, not you guys. It was an even game without the turnovers, but we just beat ourselves.(not an excuse, just the facts IMO). So with the potentially dominating O-line of OU, that should give us the edge to go along with our D. Im sure you wont agree but im being as little pro-OU in that assessment as my heart will let me!

JohnnyMack
3/27/2007, 03:28 PM
Just curious because I'm really not up on the OU depth chart, but didn't you guys lose a lot in your front 7 on D? Like 3 of your best DEs and a couple of LBs?

I would also submit, as a Longhorn fan, that our LB play has nowhere to go but up. Also, I think the addition of Mac Duff as Co-DC with Akina will make our scheming better (as they are on the same page unlike Chizik and Akina).

Both teams have lost some players but will be loaded with talent like always. Just my $.02

Yeah but our DE's didn't get any pressure last year anyway. :O

OSUAggie
3/27/2007, 03:56 PM
They started to towards the latter part of the year.

Herr Scholz
3/27/2007, 04:55 PM
I think even you could admit that last year, turnovers are what beat OU, not you guys. It was an even game without the turnovers, but we just beat ourselves.(not an excuse, just the facts IMO).
We didn't have anything to do with those turnovers?

If a Longhorn came over here taking this position after having lost, he'd be called an excuse-maker IMHO. Turnovers are part of the game and our D forced them.

TripleOption14
3/27/2007, 05:06 PM
Yeah but our DE's didn't get any pressure last year anyway. :O

Ding Ding Ding!!! WINNA!!!

As the horn said about his LB's.... The OU DE play can only go up so that is a plus!!

JohnnyMack
3/27/2007, 05:11 PM

If a Longhorn came over here taking this position after having lost, he'd be called an excuse-maker IMHO. Turnovers are part of the game and our D forced them.

Except for one. One was just a bad call.

TripleOption14
3/27/2007, 05:51 PM

I don't know about all that. One was a give up play, one was an incomplete pass/lateral, and one was a freak fumble. Texass' D gets credit for forcing 2 TO's. The others were self-destruction TO's.

SoonerRoads
3/27/2007, 08:27 PM
Full Article (http://www.sportsline.com/collegefootball/story/10089235)

I have said it before, I will say it again.......as good as AD was....I think OU will be better without him, than they were with him.

Just my take.

Cam
3/27/2007, 08:33 PM

Just for old times sake:

**** off dip ****. :D

goingoneight
3/27/2007, 11:13 PM
I can agree that UCLA will be better this year, hell... they were pretty damn good for California aggies last time we played them. If Fumbles McStumbles Bomar hadn't fumbled seven times, OU would have beaten them though. This talk about Ben Olson taking the starting spot back is ridiculous... anyone who watched UCLA last year against USC and Neuter Dame will tell you Cowan has got the skills and know-how to be a great QB (given UCLA standards) before he's done. Yeah, they lost six games, yeah they lost to FSU... but who else can hold USC defensively like that team did? Defense alone will get the to a bowl game (6 wins); and the offense was very young and talented in 2006, can't really see a drop off.

Typical UCLA will be out of the BCS race early, but will likely be a Holiday Bowl caliber team to beat in 2007. Number 9, Hell Naww... Number 19, maybe. Earn your stripes first, Bruins.

goingoneight's preseason top ten:

#1 USC: I've officially broke down and admitted that Pete Caroll will be the first coach to nail two BCS Coach's Trophies. This team is ultra stacked, they remind me of OU in late 2002, after the Deblam slip-up... you knew damn well OU was set up to have a monster year in 2003. However, this will not... I repeat WILL NOT be the team Matt Leinart's was. They have their best shot at the MNC this year, then will take some monstrous hits in 2008 due to graduation and early departures. Good team, solid #1 choice, not the greatest team ever (you hear me, ESPN???).

2. Michigan: Not because I think they have a legit shot, but their offense will be stellar in regular season play. I know people rip on OU's BCS record, but I'm honestly starting to wonder if UM will ever win another BCS or even a bowl game under Lloyd Carr. 12-0, with a streak-stopping win against tOSU... major flop in the National Championship Game.

3. Wisconsin: I'd call them a sleeping giant, but the #3 says they're wide awake... everyone knows they're getting better, so it will be hard for them to catch anyone off guard like we did Tejas in 2000. Meatchicken will likely out gun them at home, on their way to ^^^, well you know.

4. Texas: http://bestsmileys.com/puking/1.gif... there, i said it. Colt McCoy isn't going to rush for 1,000 yards, but he's definitely going to punish secondaries left and right. Again, he's not going to "scramble" for a touchdown, but he handles himself very well, and has the best of his 2006 weapons back in senior form. Defense will likely cost them a game, maybe even two (come on TCU and Oklahoma, baby!!! :D)... unless this MacDuff guy is a godsend, which I have no reason yet to believe he is. Youth and inexperience, or in layman's terms... '2006's backups' in the secondary will cost them. Teams with decent passing offenses can and likely will frustrate the mack attack. If TCU and OU don't bite UT, OSU and Texas Tech will. And by "bite," I mean expose, not beat.

5. LSU: The best way I can describe this is to grab a game film of the 2005 Peach Bowl, there's your offense... watch a film on the Domer pwnage, and there's your defense. SEC will hurt this team. I truly believe the BCS will again look to statistics, rather than strength of schedule, and the W/L record will be the only thing keeping LSU from playing USC in Nawlins.

6. Louisville: Pictue Steve Kragthorpe's 2005 Tulsa team with a better defense. Seasoned veteran quarterback, healthy stable of talented backs... a picturesque matchup for the BIG 12 Champion to play in the Fiesta Bowl. Which leads me to my number 7--

7. Oklahoma: I'm Sooner Born, I'm Sooner Bred... but I'm not stupid born and stupid bred. Oklahoma's defense ABSOLUTELY HAS TO DOMINATE FROM DAY ONE. No more rough starts for BV and company, he's had four full years to build a dominant defense with his own recruits. This team had better beat North Texas by at least 20 to be considered a threat early on. We'll likely be breaking in a n00b, unless Joey Halzle really separates himself from the Junior College image and is able to "PT or better." The loss of Adrian Peterson means but one thing, be more creative with the ball. You have potential first team All-Americans in Malcom Kelly and Jermaine Gresham. You have a freakishly talented freshmen RB by the name of Murray who can be used in the passing game just as good as any receiver. Think Mark Clayton... as a running back. The QB is always the center of attention, but in this case, is the missing piece of the Championship puzzle. Texas, Texas Tech and OSU are winnable, and we'll probably be favored in most or all of them... This team cannot rely on small leads to win ala aTm 2006. If OUr offense sits on a lead, we're beatable... as in, 2-3 loss beatable. Look on the positive side of things, with enough attitude... this team could easily run the table based on talent alone. RRS maybe, BIG 12 Championship, for sure.

8. West Virginia: All the offense of Michigan, minus the name program to get yourself to Nawlins. One loss, many shootouts... Cotton Bowl at bare minimum, could be as good as BCS candidates.

9. VA Tech: see soonerboy post above... couldn't agree more.

10. TCU: boom or bust. 2005 and 2006 suggest they'll be good, and the depth chart suggests they'll be better than last year's version overall. Don't be surprised to see Texas and TCU "magically" become #1 versus #2 for an ESPN orgy ala Ohio State/Tejas 2006. If you lose so much as one game in the Mountain West, book a plane for Dallas, and don't worry about those water stained wals of the Cotton Bowl, it's still good enough to hold your fanbase. P.S. Beat Nebraska for me, would ya? I might add that I don't know who has what contracts with the Cotton Bowl, nor do I know where a one loss TCU goes. I am suggesting Cornbraska is not far out of the top ten, and will get pounded back to Dallas to play a TCU-caliber team.

goingoneight
3/27/2007, 11:24 PM

Well, Juaqin Iglesias drops a ball, and the refs give you another. And the interceptions came in desperation time, PT trying too hard to move the ball. More of a momentum swing in UT favor if you ask me.

Newbomb Turk
3/28/2007, 12:59 AM
I have said it before, I will say it again.......as good as AD was....I think OU will be better without him, than they were with him.

Just my take.

I think we'll be pretty good without him, but I think you're nuts.

Collier11
3/28/2007, 01:01 AM
I dont necessarily know how to determine if we are better without him, but we are certainly less predictable without him.

OSUAggie
3/28/2007, 01:18 AM
I dont necessarily know how to determine if we are better without him, but we are certainly less predictable without him.

Didn't you run the ball more after he got hurt?

Newbomb Turk
3/28/2007, 01:22 AM
Didn't you run the ball more after he got hurt?

I think we did a few games. I just don't see how you can take the best player off your team and get better there.

OSUAggie
3/28/2007, 01:30 AM
It takes away a defensive focal point. Look at his QB's for his productive season compared to his two injury-riddled seasons (not that they were without production)... Jason White was a different dynamic than RB or Thompson, and defenses had to prepare for that.

Last year, for instance, when Peterson got hurt, defenses didn't know what to expect (other than less from the running game) from the OU offense because of all the uncertainties (like would PT be able to beat anyone over the top, would they completely abandon the running game, etc.), but I think Wilson, in retrospect, took a very productive risk by actually increasing the load for the running game and hitting timely passes.

If Peterson were back this season, and there was a proven QB behind him, he'd likely have another monster year without injury. But the QB position has been completely unstable the past couple of years, so he has been the focal point, and thus rendered less effective (as was the OU offense) than his initial campaign.

I think, going into this season, the QB will have to show the ability to burn a D without the running game (deep ball, scrambles, short balls to athletic WR's, whatever) instead of turning around and handing off 75% of the time to Patrick, Brown, the kid from Vegas, whomever, because of the lack of respect that defenses will show the passing game (until the passing game earns respect).

goingoneight
3/28/2007, 02:49 AM
What he said ^^^.

mxATVracer10
3/28/2007, 08:31 AM
What he said ^^^.

Dude, do you realize what you just did??? You agree'd with a :stunned:

;)

PAW
3/28/2007, 09:13 AM
USC: 10 first-team prep All-America running backs on the spring depth chart.

That line still boggles my mind.

sooner518
3/28/2007, 09:13 AM
2 questions:

1) Since when did Reggie Smith move back to corner?
2) How many schollies does USC get that they can have 10 RBs on their depth chart?

Newbomb Turk
3/28/2007, 09:52 AM
2 questions:

1) Since when did Reggie Smith move back to corner?
2) How many schollies does USC get that they can have 10 RBs on their depth chart?

1) This spring.
2) As many as they want - it seems the NCAA doesn't care what they do.

SoonerRoads
3/28/2007, 11:45 AM
I think we'll be pretty good without him, but I think you're nuts.

Think what you want, but when he wasn't in, I saw an Oklahoma team that banded together, and made a lot more effort, because they didn't have his great talent to rely on. I am not saying he wasn't a great, great player...geez...he was awesome. But when you don;t have him on the field, blocks have to be a little stronger and held a little longer and that produced some pretty good results overall. There is more that could be said on this subject, but I stand by what I said and I believe we will be better without him, than we were with him.

Just my take.

soonerboy_odanorth
3/28/2007, 03:01 PM

Honestly Sholzie, can't you just cram it for once. ;)

But I submit we really didn't lose much in the front 7. Birdine was all mouth, no consistent production, Thibs undersized, though C.J. Ah You was very solid. I thought our best play at DE when he broke into the rotation was Dotson... at least from a playmaking standpoint. And I expect John Williams will be at least as capable, if not an upgrade, over Birdine and Thibs. Effectively there is no change to our DT rotation. In fact, w/ McCoy coming out of redshirt and Granger really starting to show some stuff at the end of the year last year we should be more solid, especially with the raves being thrown at another redshirt, Adrian Taylor. From a size standpoint the front four will be noticeably larger.

At LB, losing Rufus hurts, but I think losing Latimer will be negligible. I thought both played the first half of the season basically trying to do too much, IMO... constantly out of position to the point of embarassment a couple of times. We'll see. (Regarding your LB's, maybe they have nowhere to go but up, but that doesn't mean they will. :D )

Bottom line, between your'ns and our'ns, I like what we return in the trenches vs. your losses. I still think that's where the vast majority of games are won and lost.

Maybe the second would be QB play, where you have an advantage. But then the third would be D secondary, and we've got the upper hand there (on paper). And I would also maintain that losing Chizik after the great success he had there is a negative, no matter how good Mac Duff might be.... new guys, new coach... that comfort level will take some time, but you know that.

On paper I am comfortable it should go to OU this year. But then, there is that freaky-streaky confidence thing in the RRS.

Herr Scholz
3/29/2007, 01:01 AM
Honestly Sholzie, can't you just cram it for once. ;)
Never. ;)

Bottom line, between your'ns and our'ns, I like what we return in the trenches vs. your losses. I still think that's where the vast majority of games are won and lost.
I agree. But I think you're seriously underestimating our bigs though. Our DL will be nasty and fast and deep. We have questions to answer at OL but unlike you guys, we didn't lose an entire class of O linemen. Our new center is a JR. and our new guards are big and mean. We return our tackles and add back Cedrick Dockery who was hurt last year. Our OL will not be a weakness, I can promise you. Mack McWhorter is the best in the business.

BASSooner
3/29/2007, 01:18 AM
Never. ;)

I agree. But I think you're seriously underestimating our bigs though. Our DL will be nasty and fast and deep. We have questions to answer at OL but unlike you guys, we didn't lose an entire class of O linemen. Our new center is a JR. and our new guards are big and mean. We return our tackles and add back Cedrick Dockery who was hurt last year. Our OL will not be a weakness, I can promise you. Mack McWhorter is the best in the business.
I do agree to your statement about your OL not being a weakness, however, they're biggest challenge will be going up against OUr interior DL. G McCoy, Coleman, Bennet, Granger....all monsters.

Your secondary will also be challenged by Malcolm Kelly who can catch passes in double coverage and some triple.

Not to mention Tennel and Chaney who are all well above 6'4.

goingoneight
3/29/2007, 01:19 AM
OL is important, but as long as you have the beef and size up front... all it takes is discipline (no holding and false starts) and a little technique. Everyone was expecting OUr OL to majorly hurt OUr offense in 2006 just because of n00bs and inexperience. With all due respect to offensive linemen, they don't have to sling passes with laser accuracy and they don't have to read an entire defensive scheme in three seconds or less, nor do they run a route or cover like DBs, etc. The OL is IMPORTANT, make no mistake... I know this. But a school like UT always has and always will have quality OL whether they're freshmen or not. They're always deep and strong up front. I say, as long as there's no injuries to plague their depth, UT will be the exact same offense, maybe better in 2007 that they were in 2006. And Colt McCoy has to have learned by now how hard D-1 athletes hit and stuff, so he'll know how to protect himself as well.

Much like when Stoops teams were pwning :mack:'s a few years back, the sense of entitlement and arrogance will be UT's only enemy. Remember 2001, Chrissy's "list?" Remember 2004 "We got the offense... and we got the defense baby!" I seem to remember a true-freshmen OU RB rushing for over 200 yards and the offense did, well... nothing. No doubt in my mind that whoever beats UT will have to catch them with their heads all swollen up, and they'll have to play lights out defense.

Oh, and how many MACKs do you guys have? Mack Brown, MacDuff, McCoy, Mack McWhorter???

Herr Scholz
3/29/2007, 01:42 PM
Oh, and how many MACKs do you guys have? Mack Brown, MacDuff, McCoy, Mack McWhorter???
Yeah. :D Don't forget Mack Brown's predecessors either: John Mackovic and David McWilliams.

How come you guys always have a QB whose name I can't pronounce? Hibblel, Heouple, Halzlzle?

stoopified
3/30/2007, 12:32 AM
UCLA and Michigan are my only WTFs,otherwise I can see the top 10 as accurate atleast at the start of the season.

goingoneight
3/30/2007, 12:51 AM
Yeah. :D Don't forget Mack Brown's predecessors either: John Mackovic and David McWilliams.

How come you guys always have a QB whose name I can't pronounce? Hibblel, Heouple, Halzlzle?

What's your wonderlic score, it can't be THAT hard? :D

goingoneight
3/30/2007, 12:54 AM
How about we all agree that Notre Dame and USC are going to be ranked and we'll just fill it out from there? Maybe not necessarily deserving of their rank, but still kissed up to. How awesome would it be if USC lost like, 3 games next year? Can you imagine what ESPN would do or say??? :D

BASSooner
3/30/2007, 01:37 AM
ND will be overrated where ever they are placed in the rankings unless they are 17th at the highest. Hear me now. Clausen is no decendent of God. He will be a star but his hype has gone beyond reality along with his goals.

USC will not be overrated, unfortunately but like goingoneight said, this is no reggie bush/leinhart team. These guys will be strong defensively and they may win the title yet again because of it. However, seeing what Booty has done has exposed the weakness of the QB position of SC. He is great, but he is wishy-washy. Their receiver position will be the weakest position excluding fred davis. This will be the nation's best team yet again, but they will be exposed and just maybe lose their chance to play for the title.

I wouldn't necessarily say "WTF" about Michigan. They return leadership on offense. Defense is the weak spot though. They either finish 1st or 2nd in the big 10

Texas texas texas. we know that you guys will never grow weak( in every other team's terms). you guys are the kings of recruiting and reloading. Although you grow weaker on both sides, you can still manage to finish first in the big 12 south.

Us...Well we can lose 4 games or play for the national championship. We're lookin great right now on offense, possibly best in the country( depending on the QB situation). Defensively we need work. Is it anything to worry about? A little. Will we be fine? Yes. Texas always gets in the way. It will be crapshoot on who wins this one and this time it will NOT be a blowout. As long as Stoops is here, this team will stay as unpredictable. We can win championships with guys who are 5'7 and immobile.

Laugh at me if you want but I have a strange feeling that okie lite will be better than last year and may compete for 3rd or 2nd best in the big 12.

utex74
4/1/2007, 02:23 AM
The difference IMHO between the two schools this year is the difference we have had the last two years that texas won, that being the o-line. I think even you could admit that last year, turnovers are what beat OU, not you guys. It was an even game without the turnovers, but we just beat ourselves.(not an excuse, just the facts IMO). So with the potentially dominating O-line of OU, that should give us the edge to go along with our D. Im sure you wont agree but im being as little pro-OU in that assessment as my heart will let me!

Unfortunately turnovers are one the measures of how good a team is. Also part of the game. If Reggie Bush doesn't try a bone-headed lateral that is recovered by the good guys I doubt even Vince could have come back from that deficit. The only thing people remember is the score.

That said, we fumbled a LOT today in the spring game. :eek:

birddog
4/1/2007, 01:38 PM
yeah, i'm gonna rush out and get that dvd. be right back! :rolleyes:

Collier11
4/1/2007, 02:27 PM
Unfortunately turnovers are one the measures of how good a team is. Also part of the game. If Reggie Bush doesn't try a bone-headed lateral that is recovered by the good guys I doubt even Vince could have come back from that deficit. The only thing people remember is the score.

That said, we fumbled a LOT today in the spring game. :eek:

Im not trying to take away from the fact that we still lost, im just saying our D only gave up like 200 total yds, if we can hold on to the ball we win. That being said, we did turn it over too much and you guys did take advantage of that...thats how it goes sometimes

goingoneight
4/1/2007, 11:04 PM
The word "turnovers" is vaguely annoying and when coaches say "well I think turnovers and lack of execution killed us today..." You really feel like saying...

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w125/goingoneight/bush.jpg

However, can you simplify it any other way? Where would Oklahoma have been in the Red River Shootout 2001 if Roy didn't have such a monstrous game of forcing turnovers? If Tejas executed, they could have won. Turnovers cost us against Texas and Boise, and official ignorance cost us against Oregon.