PDA

View Full Version : ****** Football game moved

boomersooner28
3/26/2007, 12:44 PM
to November 24, the Saturday after Thanksgiving so that it can be televised be either ABC or FoxSports. Both teams will now have a bye week on October 27.

Boomer.....
3/26/2007, 01:04 PM
I cannot figure out why we schedule the game early to only move it to the last game of the season. This is becoming a trend.

yermom
3/26/2007, 01:07 PM
dude, weak

MamaMia
3/26/2007, 01:08 PM
Does anyone know many times in the last 10 years or so OU/osu has been the Thanksgiving weekend football game entertainment?

OUDoc
3/26/2007, 01:11 PM
If it's not Nebraska, it doesn't need to be over Thanksgiving.
Actually, there's no point in scheduling Nebraska there anymore either.

yermom
3/26/2007, 01:22 PM
that would be hella lame to play Nebraska on Thanksgiving and then play them again in the CCG the next week

i like having the open weekend there. going out of town for Thanksgiving break and then having to come back to Norman, or head to Stoolwater kinda succs

StuIsTheMan
3/26/2007, 01:24 PM
I for one am scared about this game at the end...would rather play them mid schedule...end of year they suck we don't, we need the win they don't...sound familiar...2001,2002...just say'n
http://img77.imageshack.us/img77/9366/1339891910mqc4.jpg (http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/)

MichiganSooner
3/26/2007, 01:29 PM
Never scared by this matchup.

MichiganSooner
3/26/2007, 01:45 PM
This is from an osu forum regarding game change and their predictions.

"OU actually can generate an upset occassionally and this could be the Sooners year to do that to us."

Question: what is the all-time record and how many of our wins were considered "an upset"?

And, "think about it. How many other OSU squads had this much talent on both sides of the ball? Looking at the returning starters, I picked out twelve players that could very realistically be all-conference performers...".

I have nothing to say except, how long have you been smoking grass in stoolwater?

silverwheels
3/26/2007, 01:48 PM
I've stopped caring about what day it's on. We're still Oklahoma and they're still Aggies. ***-whoopin' in Norman this year.

boomersooner82
3/26/2007, 01:58 PM
I agree it doesn't really matter when we play them, but what is the benefit for us? In all likelyhood, the game would've been picked up for TV on its original date, so I'd argue that the added exposure of a national broadcast over a regional broadcast matters little (probably more for the aggies, because it reminds people in other parts of the country that they exist). However, it would seem to me that having an extra week to prep for the Big 12 Championship would be beneficial. So why bow so easy to the aggots and the Big 12? We better be getting some extra $$$ for the move.

sooner518
3/26/2007, 02:08 PM
This is from an osu forum regarding game change and their predictions.

"OU actually can generate an upset occassionally and this could be the Sooners year to do that to us."

Question: what is the all-time record and how many of our wins were considered "an upset"?

I think I would have to see a link to believe that. They cant be that delusional, can they??

Collier11
3/26/2007, 02:12 PM
I think I would have to see a link to believe that. They cant be that delusional, can they??

When you spend the majority of your days with your D*ck in a farm animal and your mouth on the bong, the delusional part doesnt surprise me!!!

OSUAggie
3/26/2007, 02:30 PM
You guys played OSU more times on Thanksgiving weekend than you did Nebraska in the 80s.

In the past 30 years, you've played OSU 11 times on Thanksgiving weekend and Nebraska 11 times on Thanksgiving weekend.

This is nothing new.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
3/26/2007, 02:36 PM
You guys played OSU more times on Thanksgiving weekend than you did Nebraska in the 80s.

In the past 30 years, you've played OSU 11 times on Thanksgiving weekend and Nebraska 11 times on Thanksgiving weekend.

This is nothing new.That must be aggie math. 11 and 11 are the same number.

OSUAggie
3/26/2007, 02:37 PM
No ****. The argument could probably be made, based on those numbers, that you've played OSU and Nebraska the same amount of times on Thanksgiving weekend the past few decades.

yermom
3/26/2007, 02:44 PM
that doesn't mean we like it

SoonerStormchaser
3/26/2007, 03:16 PM
Aggy gets a bye week eh? They'll lose!

soonervegas
3/26/2007, 03:44 PM
"it would seem to me that having an extra week to prep for the Big 12 Championship would be beneficial"

Sounds good in theory, but:

No Bye Week = 4-0 in Big 12 Title Games

Bye Week = 0-1 in Big 12 Title Games

I am actually glad they moved it so we do NOT have that bye week before our 5th Big 12 Title.

MikeInNorman
3/26/2007, 03:54 PM

This is nothing new.

Nice selective numbers.

Is this anything like "We won 5 of the last 8, no, 9, no, 10, no, 11, no, 12!!!!!!" ?

OU/Nebraska WAS a tradition, until the Big 12 ruined it 10 years ago. I think I speak for Sooners everywhere in saying that whenever the words "football" and "Diet Aggy" are together, there is no tradition of any sort, and certainly nothing special. But I forget, the only football "traditions" possessed by AggyLite are made-up or stolen, with the exception of losing, of course.

On the other hand, I can see why your tradition-rich program would service any animal Kevin Weiberg requires in order to actually to be on television.

Pricetag
3/26/2007, 03:57 PM
Is anyone suprised by this? I thought that the scheduling of the game earlier in the year was but a formality, and that there is some kind of contract forcing OU's hand to play the game after Thanksgiving for the next several years.

I couldn't care less when we play the game.

OSUAggie
3/26/2007, 03:59 PM
So was OU/Nebbish a Thanksgiving weekend tradition in the 80s, before the big bad Big XII ruined the fun for everyone (the same 80s when OSU played OU on Thanksgiving weekend more times than Nebraska did)?

elderlysooner
3/26/2007, 05:47 PM
What's all this talk about OSU? I didn't think OregonState was onout schedule.

MichiganSooner
3/26/2007, 07:20 PM

Here is the link. Read the second to last paragraph of the post by beijingpoke.

http://www.o-state.com/forum/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=UBB1&Number=499021&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1

Collier11
3/26/2007, 08:03 PM
Here is the link. Read the second to last paragraph of the post by beijingpoke.

http://www.o-state.com/forum/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=UBB1&Number=499021&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1

and he wrote right below that post that it was only in there to flip out the OU posters on that board! In other words, he got ya!

picasso
3/26/2007, 08:10 PM

This is nothing new.
apples and stale oranges.

OUDoc
3/26/2007, 09:15 PM
No ****. The argument could probably be made, based on those numbers, that you've played OSU and Nebraska the same amount of times on Thanksgiving weekend the past few decades.
The OU/Nebraska game was important in the national rankings and usually for an Orange Bowl spot. Outside a couple of games in the mid-80's, when was the last time the OU/OSU game meant that much to BOTH teams.

Mixer!
3/26/2007, 09:30 PM
So was OU/Nebbish a Thanksgiving weekend tradition in the 80s, before the big bad Big XII ruined the fun for everyone (the same 80s when OSU played OU on Thanksgiving weekend more times than Nebraska did)? Hahahaha..."the 80s".
Try another decade, preferably one you weren't born in. ;)

goingoneight
3/26/2007, 09:47 PM
The OU/Nebraska game was important in the national rankings and usually for an Orange Bowl spot. Outside a couple of games in the mid-80's, when was the last time the OU/OSU game meant that much to BOTH teams.

Let me answer that one for pokie... NEVER. Many of their types refer to any bowl they go to as the ORANGE bowl, though. :rolleyes:

picasso
3/26/2007, 10:05 PM
ask Pat Jones, he can remember that glory year when said game had conference title ramifi ramifi uhhh ramifi uhhhhh well uhhhh implications.

wishbonesooner
3/26/2007, 10:07 PM
The damn ags should get a national TV game on their own merit, I'm tired of them riding our coattails.

goingoneight
3/26/2007, 10:35 PM
Don't worry wishbonesooner, ESPN had a poll about aggy a few days ago, and all 50 states must have seen the "STATE" on the question, cuz the answer nationally was "Are you F***in' CEREAL!?!" :D

sooneriniowa
3/27/2007, 12:43 AM
The damn ags should get a national TV game on their own merit, I'm tired of them riding our coattails.

Our coattails is alot better than the farm animals that they have been riding..

goingoneight
3/27/2007, 01:26 AM
My question to OSU fans in general is this...

If you have like, your wrestling team or whatever it is you do good there... would you rather play a powerhouse as a yearly tradition? Or would you rather have some in-state school like Tulsa (no offense to TU, just using a smaller school as an example), whose fans never show up to matches/games, and whose program can't even sniff the jock of your own?

That's why we want OU/Nebbish. It's not us being afraid of you or anything else stupid like that... I, personally don't mind the switch. I just have my preference. If I was in charge, OSU would meet us home-and-home and skip a few years, and Nebbish would join the power division of the BIG 12. If we have to play you, and they aren't letting us square off with the Corn... whatever. It just burns OU fans to see the BIG 12 kil one of OUr beloved traditions and kiss up to someone who has yet to win anything outside of Barry Sanders Heisman 19 years ago.

poke4christ
3/27/2007, 10:51 AM

If you have like, your wrestling team or whatever it is you do good there... would you rather play a powerhouse as a yearly tradition? Or would you rather have some in-state school like Tulsa (no offense to TU, just using a smaller school as an example), whose fans never show up to matches/games, and whose program can't even sniff the jock of your own?

That's why we want OU/Nebbish. It's not us being afraid of you or anything else stupid like that... I, personally don't mind the switch. I just have my preference. If I was in charge, OSU would meet us home-and-home and skip a few years, and Nebbish would join the power division of the BIG 12. If we have to play you, and they aren't letting us square off with the Corn... whatever. It just burns OU fans to see the BIG 12 kil one of OUr beloved traditions and kiss up to someone who has yet to win anything outside of Barry Sanders Heisman 19 years ago.

I totally agree on killing the NU game tradition. That was just crap. I grew up as a nebraska fan (Dad is an allum) and I loved watching it in 00 and 01. Those were great games, but the new schedule is crap. They really need to allow for one permanent North division opponent so that game can be revived.

As for the main point you made, you can't compare us to TU. Also, we've been very close to were nebraska has been as a program the last 4 years or so (success wise, not overall of course). Finally, we've got dang good fan support and it was only hindered last year by the sharp increase in ticket prices. The only reason we didn't sell out games was because of the club level. That was even too expensive for the OU fans who came for ******. If it was really just fan support, then OU would have sold the stadium out themselves. Oh, and if you were at that game, you would have heard what our fan support is, it was DANG loud in there. Can't wait till we get the WEZ done. Then it will be dang near deafining at peak (the closeness to field, closed in stadium, and fact that GIA is right there will help a lot to make it very loud).

Oh, well. Sorry to drone on like that. But what can I say, I love my school and I like to talk about the things I'm proud of.

picasso
3/27/2007, 10:57 AM
you guys have ****ty football support. it's a myth that you guys support ALL sports.

Landthief 1972
3/27/2007, 11:48 AM
Can't wait till we get the WEZ done. Then it will be dang near deafining at peak (the closeness to field, closed in stadium, and fact that GIA is right there will help a lot to make it very loud).

I guess some Aggies consider the fact that the seating is about 3 inches from the asses of the players a good thing? Hell, I think our sideline is too narrow, but you guys make the players stand on a friggin' balance beam out there. I consider it a miracle that more players don't severely injure themselves running into that wall in Nose Pickens Stadium.

Taxman71
3/27/2007, 12:07 PM
we've been very close to were nebraska has been as a program the last 4 years or so (success wise, not overall of course).

Yet, less successful than Rutgers, Tulsa and all but 1 other Big 12 team. What is the point here? Finishing 6th and 5th in the Big 12 South is hardly "close" to a team playing in the Big 12 championship game (i.e. - 1 win away from a BCS bowl).

Finally, we've got dang good fan support and it was only hindered last year by the sharp increase in ticket prices.

We need a definition of "dang good fan support". This has always been a negative in stoolwater as evidenced by the annual lack of sellout games and banner crowds of 500 at the spring game.

The only reason we didn't sell out games was because of the club level. That was even too expensive for the OU fans who came for ******.

It was not too expensive for OU fans, it was stupid and insulting to think we would pay a donor fee to Boone's playhouse. Obviously, the majority of puke fans felt the same since those seats were empty the entire season.

Mixer!
3/27/2007, 12:19 PM
Yet, less successful than Rutgers, Tulsa and all but 1 other Big 12 team. What is the point here? Finishing 6th and 5th in the Big 12 South is hardly "close" to a team playing in the Big 12 championship game (i.e. - 1 win away from a BCS bowl). :les: JUST SIX MINUTES AWAY FROM THE BCS!

picasso
3/27/2007, 12:37 PM
I guess some Aggies consider the fact that the seating is about 3 inches from the asses of the players a good thing? Hell, I think our sideline is too narrow, but you guys make the players stand on a friggin' balance beam out there. I consider it a miracle that more players don't severely injure themselves running into that wall in Nose Pickens Stadium.
I saw a kid in a high school playoff game nearly break his neck on that wall.

OSUAggie
3/27/2007, 01:09 PM

You've played OSU on Thanksgiving weekend significantly more than any other opponent, including Nebraska. How playing Nebraska on Thanksgiving weekend is somehow more of a tradition than that, I don't know. It doesn't matter if you guys like it or not, because the conference and university officials (and TV people) want it to be played then, so that's when it's going to be played (at least until 2015).

XingTheRubicon
3/27/2007, 01:30 PM
So was OU/Nebbish a Thanksgiving weekend tradition in the 80s, before the big bad Big XII ruined the fun for everyone (the same 80s when OSU played OU on Thanksgiving weekend more times than Nebraska did)?

Are you f****** retarded? I'm gonna go ahead and look this one up.

picasso
3/27/2007, 01:40 PM
You've played OSU on Thanksgiving weekend significantly more than any other opponent, including Nebraska. How playing Nebraska on Thanksgiving weekend is somehow more of a tradition than that, I don't know. It doesn't matter if you guys like it or not, because the conference and university officials (and TV people) want it to be played then, so that's when it's going to be played (at least until 2015).
it's like hitting a rubber hammer on a brick wall.

dude, the yearly Nebraska game was a tradition. to us, Nebraska and the rest of the nation. ask anyone outside of you and a few oSu diehards who gives two squirts about how many times oSu has played OU on that weekend.

it's a game that is sorely missed.

OSUAggie
3/27/2007, 01:42 PM
Are you f****** retarded? I'm gonna go ahead and look this one up.

Finally.... I was almost tired of trying to **** people off enough to look it up for my lazy ***.

XingTheRubicon
3/27/2007, 01:48 PM
Finally.... I was almost tired of trying to **** people off enough to look it up for my lazy ***.

Nebraska was ALWAYS the week before or after Thanksgiving since 1960.

Every year for 30+ years

Your land grant school was in October and all over November. Do you understand now?

Octavian
3/27/2007, 01:54 PM
An OU-Nebraska game at the end of the year doesn't make sense anymore....and for exposure purposes, it's nice to have a showcase game on the traditional rivalry weekend.

A nationally televised game on a weekend when few other games are being played benefits us. Unless we move the RRS to the end of the year and have a Michigan-Ohio St. style clash, it only makes sense to pit OU against Oklahoma St.

And this year it really benefits us too. It gives us an off-week before the A&M game....and we still play them in Norman. Who's scared of playing OSU in Norman?....regardless of when it's being played?

SoonerRoads
3/27/2007, 07:35 PM
If it's not Nebraska, it doesn't need to be over Thanksgiving.
Actually, there's no point in scheduling Nebraska there anymore either.

You know, now there is a thought........how about a renewed rivalry? I wish we played Nebraska every doggone year and either on Thanksgiving(like it use to be) or on the weekend after. I miss that "friendly" rivalry and I miss it being the focal point of national television. From a business standpoint, just think what the television revenue would be if it were an every year thing on Thanksgiving Day? They are VERY good fans and the most respectful I have ever seen of the other team. They are great fans, I have to hand them that. I would love to renew that rivalry every year. What do all of yOU think?

Just my take.

MichiganSooner
3/27/2007, 07:44 PM
I remember watching OU-Nebraska every November when I was a kid living in Michigan. At the time, I could care less which team won. It was the only game on TV so I watched it because it was great football. I used to study both teams closely trying to figure out how I could say that Michigan could beat either one if we got the chance to play. Don't get mad; I've been a Sooner for a long time now.

MichiganSooner
3/27/2007, 07:44 PM
I never remember watching Okla State though, as a kid.

SoonerRoads
3/27/2007, 08:35 PM
I remember watching OU-Nebraska every November when I was a kid living in Michigan. At the time, I could care less which team won. It was the only game on TV so I watched it because it was great football. I used to study both teams closely trying to figure out how I could say that Michigan could beat either one if we got the chance to play. Don't get mad; I've been a Sooner for a long time now.

EXACTLY, there was a time that OU-Nebraska was a Thanksgiving tradition, not just to everyone in Oklahoma and Nebraska, but to the entire country. What is wrong with re-capturing what once was? It promotes our entire conference, the programs, the fans..........it is ALL GOOD. Push for a renewed Thanksgiving rivalry.......if for no other reason than 1) REVENUES AND 2) RECOGNITION.

Just my take.

goingoneight
3/27/2007, 11:48 PM
An OU-Nebraska game at the end of the year doesn't make sense anymore....and for exposure purposes, it's nice to have a showcase game on the traditional rivalry weekend.

A nationally televised game on a weekend when few other games are being played benefits us. Unless we move the RRS to the end of the year and have a Michigan-Ohio St. style clash, it only makes sense to pit OU against Oklahoma St.

And this year it really benefits us too. It gives us an off-week before the A&M game....and we still play them in Norman. Who's scared of playing OSU in Norman?....regardless of when it's being played?

Nobody's scared of it, they're just ****ed that..

* we have to put curtains up in the Cotton Bowl
* we have to surrender OUr side of the Cotton Bowl
* we have to leave the Cotton Bowl (most likely in 2011)
* we have to do this (deblam thingy) now

We keep getting robbed of OUr traditions, whilst no one else has to surrender anything they hold dear to their football program. This is stuff that has been going on for some like me, their whole life. So what if Nebbish isn't very good now. Don't teams usually fire coaches and stuff to GET BETTER after consecutive rivalry losses?

I don't see anyone telling Notre Dame to join a conference. I don't see USC surrendering anything they've done for years.

We're talking about a series that stands 78-16-7, for crying out loud. :eek: Why are we bending over backwards for this "rivalry" to become a tradition? Do aggy supporters seriously whine that loud that the conference gives in? I'm sure that Baylor wants to play Texas on Thanksgiving, too... but they don't get to, do they?

Playing OSU isn't a problem for me. Hell, even letting them feel special and calling it a rivalry doesn't bother me. Telling the nation "throw out the record books!" doesn't even bother me (not like the rest of the country will ever believe this is "anyone's game)". It's simply asking, when is Oklahoma's traditions going to be respected enough to let them be?

Taxman71
3/28/2007, 09:05 AM
I think the wheels were set in motion by Donnie Duncan et al. who sold out for the Big 12. That ended the Husker tradition and made OU-texass a conference game, thus, the home-and-home argument gained some merit. Before the Big 12, neither team would have considered a series unless it was in Big D.

MamaMia
3/28/2007, 09:54 PM
It would be nice for our players to be able to enjoy the Thanksgiving holiday with their families like other teams do, but Coach Stoops made a valid point last week in saying that we win more Big XII Championship games without having that weekend off. I know the players like those Big XII Championships. :D

goingoneight
3/28/2007, 11:04 PM
What's four Thanksgivings for four rings??? :D I'll save some turkey for them to make sammitches. I might need a whole turkey for THA LOAD, though. :D