PDA

View Full Version : Dirty Little Secret About Coach Coale

FaninAma
3/26/2007, 09:49 AM
She is, at this stage in her career, a superior recruiter but an average coach. When teams match up to OU in terms of athleticism OU struggles.

The lack of athleticism by the Sooner guards is a weak excuse.

Turnovers are not due to lack of athleticism. Being outrebounded by a shorter team is not due to lack of athleticism. Failing to push the advantage when you break the press is not due to lack of athleticism.

BTW, tell me again why Higgins got so much playing time this year?

Paperclip
3/26/2007, 10:29 AM
The only reason we're even talking about women's basketball is because of Sherri Coale.

crawfish
3/26/2007, 10:40 AM
The thread title is misleading.

sanantoniosooner
3/26/2007, 10:41 AM
She shops at WalMart.

Newbomb Turk
3/26/2007, 10:59 AM
can't say I totally disagree. There is no excuse for the turnovers.

Higgins plays because she is the best defending guard.

tommieharris91
3/26/2007, 01:22 PM
Higgins played because she could hit 30+ ft shots.

virginiasooner
3/26/2007, 01:24 PM
You guys are all a bunch of ungrateful jerks. How many times was the Oklahoma women's basketball team in the tournament before Coach Coale? Yeah, right, NONE!!!!! And since then? She's built a phenomenal program from NOTHING! Sure, I wish the women won yesterday (I wish the Heels won as well, but you can't have everything), but they had a GREAT season. Hey Coach Coale, come play Maryland at the Comcast Center. You two can comiserate about being beaten by Ole Miss.

badger
3/26/2007, 01:49 PM
for a program that got eliminated from ou at one point, our fans once again reveal what SPOILED little sooners we are :mad:

coale performed a miracle on ou basketball. the fact that we "only" made the sweet 16 makes us worse than kentucky men's basketball fans--- they've tasted nat'l championships often... we, on the other hand, have not.
boo to coale detractors. boo. :mad:

sanantoniosooner
3/26/2007, 01:51 PM
It's to be expected.

Eventually the people that whine in football threads find their way in here.

bri
3/26/2007, 02:03 PM
I'm still wondering what Sherri was supposed to do in the huddle to conteract the fact that Ole Miss was faster, smarter, and more tenacious than us...

boomersooner82
3/26/2007, 02:26 PM

Because I love her! And one day we're going to get married on top of a mountain, and there's going to be flutes playing and trombones and flowers and garlands of fresh herbs. And we will dance til the sun rises. And then our children will form a family band and we'll tour the countryside and YOU won't be invited!!!

... whoa, what happened? I blacked out for a second there.

Higgins plays because she is the best defending guard.

Higgins played because she could hit 30+ ft shots.

Yeah, that too.

badger
3/26/2007, 02:37 PM
I'm still wondering what Sherri was supposed to do in the huddle to conteract the fact that Ole Miss was faster, smarter, and more tenacious than us...
not even doom music could justify the ref's blatant disregard for their constant fouling.

Dio
3/26/2007, 02:40 PM
This thread is worthless without pics

bri
3/26/2007, 03:01 PM
not even doom music could justify the ref's blatant disregard for their constant fouling.

Oh, they didn't disregard their fouling...they just called it on us most of the time.

And there wasn't nearly as much fouling as there was near-constant freaking out under pressure and throwing the ball to defenders. It was like watching five girl Jason Whites out there. :D

fwsooner22
3/26/2007, 03:14 PM
She is, at this stage in her career, a superior recruiter but an average coach. When teams match up to OU in terms of athleticism OU struggles.

The lack of athleticism by the Sooner guards is a weak excuse.

Turnovers are not due to lack of athleticism. Being outrebounded by a shorter team is not due to lack of athleticism. Failing to push the advantage when you break the press is not due to lack of athleticism.

.....You are the worst kind of Sooner fan. I cannot even begin to tell you how mad that post made me.

How many great womens players have come from Oklahoma? Not many, heck 20 years ago they were playing half court. Most of the players come from outside the area. We had a dead/gone program before Coach Coale came here. We are on the way up right now with continued "great" recruiting classes. Right now the Womens program is the most successful program on campus.

Not good enough for you though. Because you are a womens basketball expert. Good Grief. Why do I even bother.

StuIsTheMan
3/26/2007, 03:20 PM
The thread title is misleading.

yeah I was hoping for a video link or something...:mad:

OSUAggie
3/26/2007, 03:21 PM
Right the Womens program is the most successful sport on campus.

:confused:

fwsooner22
3/26/2007, 03:29 PM
:confused:

An aggie making grammatical corrections.....now that made me laugh.....go back to your sheep.......You enjoying your tournament team? HAHAHAHAHA:P :P :P

OSUAggie
3/26/2007, 03:31 PM
I was actually wondering if they cancelled the football program, not mentioning the lack of grammatical competence.

jdsooner
3/26/2007, 04:25 PM
Without Sherri Coale, we wouldn't have a women's basketball program.

Ton Loc
3/26/2007, 04:59 PM
Is anyone actually going to comment on the original idea of this thread???

I believe the opinion is that Sherri can't coach against athletic teams or something like that.

I would say something but I don't watch the girls play. :rolleyes:

opksooner
3/26/2007, 05:30 PM
It's not a "secret", it's an opinion.

Little? Maybe.

badger
3/26/2007, 05:47 PM
coach coale CAN coach against athletic teams! Duke was VERY athletic in 2002. We handily beat them.

As for UConn that year, they were just phenomenal. If any team had a chance of beating them, it was us... but alas, they went undefeated that year.

we CAN and WILL beat athletic teams down the stretch. The fact that we lost to Ole Miss yesterday... well, keep in mind that even the best teams falter against weak, sissy programs occasionally. if I were to blame anyone, it would be the refs, but that's old news :D

oh... and SHERRI COALE SAVED OU WOMEN'S BASKETBALL!!! And dammit, she's one of our state's own, so don't go calling her average or anything. think of the alternatives...
http://img.coxnewsweb.com/C/00/87/48/image_1448870.jpg
I will again state that I would rather have these girls representing OU than any other group. Coale recruits classy athletes, not just the all-americans (although there's a few catches among that bunch, too). Think back to when the team attended plumley's aunt's funeral. Think of all the times they've been involved in the community. Have any of them ever done anything to make you ashamed to call them Sooners?

And if you say "lose," there's a chain of red spek coming your way :mad:

Doged
3/26/2007, 05:58 PM
Is anyone actually going to comment on the original idea of this thread???

The original premise is too ludicrous to warrant comment, but I'll do so anyway.

An "average" coach, as Coach Coale is purported to be by the OP, has not compiled an 11 year record that includes 4 regular season conf championships, 3 conf tourney championships, 7 consecutive post-season tourney appearances, 4 sweet-16 appearances and a final four appearance. There probably aren't 20 coaches around the nation that can match those accomplishments, which places Coach Coale very comfortably among the top 10% (closer to top 5%) in her profession. Hardly "average".

Newbomb Turk
3/26/2007, 06:01 PM
My original post was not to agree that Sherri is a poor coach. Rather, that the turnovers this year were so frustrating - especially in the Ole Miss game.

OU James
3/26/2007, 06:02 PM
What's this women's basketball you all are referring to? when did this start?

elderlysooner
3/26/2007, 06:13 PM
[QUOTE=boomersooner82]Because I love her!
Does your wife know about this?

stoopified
3/26/2007, 07:18 PM
The original premise is too ludicrous to warrant comment, but I'll do so anyway.

An "average" coach, as Coach Coale is purported to be by the OP, has not compiled an 11 year record that includes 4 regular season conf championships, 3 conf tourney championships, 7 consecutive post-season tourney appearances, 4 sweet-16 appearances and a final four appearance. There probably aren't 20 coaches around the nation that can match those accomplishments, which places Coach Coale very comfortably among the top 10% (closer to top 5%) in her profession. Hardly "average".
Yeah and addI'll add this : OU womens basketball has won 6 conference titles (%) of those are due to Sherri. OU is 14-10 all time in NCAA play,Sheri is 12-8,you do the math.Sherri is 232-118 at OU,She was 28-55 in her first 3 seasons(5-22,8-19,15-14) since then 204-63 with all the conference titles,tourney titles and Ncaa wins.By any measuring stick,the woman can coach.What she has done at OU for womens basketball is Soectacular.

Yeah we lodt now in two straight SWEET 16's,but the most important thing is she got to two straight SWEET 16's.I'm not going to argue about whether or not turnovers or rebounding was because we were not athletic enough.IMHO both were due in large part because of a lack of athleticism but that is beside the point.Nobody wins all their games ,NOT Wooden,not Lasorda,and not Bud Wilkinson even .All these men had great winning records but they still lost and Coach Coale is no different.I believe Sherri Coale WILL WIN AT LEAST ONE NATIONAL TITLE FOR OU before she is through coaching here.

usmc-sooner
3/26/2007, 07:22 PM
some of you guys got to relax when someone criticizes a coach. Everyone loves Sherri but we got outplayed and outcoached by a lower seed. There have been grumblings about coaching since Bo Overton moved on.

I think Sherri is a fine coach, but just like all coaches she gets outdone sometimes.

Sometimes I don't know what's worse the bitchy fans or the fans who pump the sunshine after the loss. I think the OU women had a great season but I also thought they were better than a sweet 16 team.

sanantoniosooner
3/26/2007, 07:23 PM
I knew you'd be along to brighten our day before long :D

usmc-sooner
3/26/2007, 07:28 PM
I knew you'd be along to brighten our day before long :D

I love Coach Coale, just saying some people take it personal when someone criticizes them.

There isn't one of us who can say we've never mucked something up at work, that's just life. Even though I felt we should've done better, I wouldn't trade Sherri for any of those butch lesbians coaching those other teams. :D

AllAboutThe'O'
3/26/2007, 07:42 PM
At least 70 percent of the women's basketball programs out there would kill to have the kind of program OU has. Not to mention the tremendous fan support and the popularity around the state.
Was it disappointing to lose yesterday's game? Yes. But I still think we turned in a solid season and did a good job bouncing back from our midseason slump. Also thanks to our six seniors. You will sorely be missed next year.
I'm already thinking about a run to next year's Final Four. Who's with me?

usmc-sooner
3/26/2007, 07:45 PM
At least 70 percent of the women's basketball programs out there would kill to have the kind of program OU has. Not to mention the tremendous fan support and the popularity around the state.
Was it disappointing to lose yesterday's game? Yes. But I still think we turned in a solid season and did a good job bouncing back from our midseason slump. Also thanks to our six seniors. You will sorely be missed next year.

if the seniors will be sorely missed, how do we make a run to the final four? Especially with some sucky assed coach like Sherri Coale? :D

GrapevineSooner
3/26/2007, 07:46 PM
I don't have the slightest hint as to how to coach women's basketball.

So I'll just leave it to Sherri Coale. She may have her faults. But last I checked, her resume in Norman is quite impressive.

So I think we should keep her.

sanantoniosooner
3/26/2007, 08:01 PM
BTW..........I got over 20 mill of spek

Bomb away.

Soonerus
3/26/2007, 09:02 PM
Your spek was not gained by your avatar...for certain.....

Ash
3/26/2007, 09:08 PM
some of you guys got to relax when someone criticizes a coach. Everyone loves Sherri but we got outplayed and outcoached by a lower seed. There have been grumblings about coaching since Bo Overton moved on.

I think Sherri is a fine coach, but just like all coaches she gets outdone sometimes.

Sometimes I don't know what's worse the bitchy fans or the fans who pump the sunshine after the loss. I think the OU women had a great season but I also thought they were better than a sweet 16 team.

Totally agree usmc-sooner.

And actually there are ways to try and tilt the match-ups in favor of your team, and it's the coaches job to make sure that happens. Ole Miss is on a great run, but the way they ran all over our team reflects poorly on both execution and coaching.

This doesn't mean Coale hasn't done a great job at OU. She's been great for the program and the school and I hope she stays here and coaches for a long time. I also hope that, faced with a similar situation as that last game, she opts for a different strategy.

birddog
3/26/2007, 09:28 PM
i'll give coale the benefit of the doubt after all she's done for this program. this program was on it's deathbed.

i have a feeling we'll be just fine.

goingoneight
3/26/2007, 10:02 PM
I thought this was all Kelvin Sampson and Brent Venables' fault??? :confused:

tommieharris91
3/26/2007, 10:16 PM
This is one of the most ludicrous threads I've seen on this board.

Right now the Womens program is the most successful program on campus.

Apparently you know nothing about OU softball (like 35-3 right now), OU gymnastics (recent 3-time repeat champs), and OU football ('nuff said). This is one of the craziest statement I've ever seen here. Neither men's nor women's basketball at OU has ever won a championship, much less as recently as these three programs. I'm not saying Sherri has to go, but I am saying that this comment is from a person that is in the dark about current OU athletics.

With all of this, anyone saying Sherri Coale should be fired can be put in the same boat as those who say Bob Stoops should leave. This team won a share of the conference regular season title, and won the Big XII tournament. Unfortunately, it fell short of postseason goals. Sound like another OU team that is incredibly popular?

Personally, there are only two women's basketball coaches that I'd rather have than Sherri Coale, and neither of them are as easy on the eyes (Geno Auriemma and Pat Summitt). OU women's basketball was on life support before she got here. In 5 years her program went from 8-19 to national runner-up. Now were getting some women with athletic pedigrees into our program. Sherri knows what she's doing. Leave her be.

Doged
3/26/2007, 10:35 PM

Saying Sherri got out-coached by the Ole Miss coach and saying she's just an average coach are two entirely different things. The first is likely true, the second is unsupportable.

william_brasky
3/26/2007, 11:05 PM
I thought this thread was gonna be about a tattoo where the sun don't shine.

She's fine as a coach.

Players have to make plays and use good judgment out there.

Ole Miss was way quicker and more athletic than the Sooners. There's not alot you can do against that with such a short shot clock.

tulsaoilerfan
3/26/2007, 11:14 PM
I wonder if Duke, UCONN, and Maryland message boards are having this same discussion right now? It's DAMN hard to win a NC in basketball because every year the big dogs are slowly coming down to the level of the little dogs: IMO, the Sooners need 2 or 3 really athletic players to compete against what they will see when it comes to tournament time

garland sooner
3/27/2007, 12:30 AM
We got beat by that Ole Miss team. Lah-de-dah. It's not Tennessee or Maryland or UNC, but I had fun watching this team on the court this year. So, Sherri Coale must be doing a good job coaching.

n8v_ndn
3/27/2007, 01:38 AM
The other night on the Austin CBS station, they said that UT was looking at coach Coale and Duke's coach as possible replacement hires.

I watched the the Marquette game today. In the 2nd half, the announcer said that OU turns the ball over way too much, even against less athletic teams.

goingoneight
3/27/2007, 01:43 AM
Need I remind all the nitpickers of what happens when you have to start over when good coaches leave (cough... men's BB 2006... cough!)

SoonerDood
3/27/2007, 07:21 AM
It's all Kelvin's fault.

fwsooner22
3/27/2007, 08:30 AM
[QUOTE=tommieharris91]This is one of the most ludicrous threads I've seen on this board. Apparently you know nothing about OU softball (like 35-3 right now), OU gymnastics (recent 3-time repeat champs), and OU football ('nuff said). This is one of the craziest statement I've ever seen here. Neither men's nor women's basketball at OU has ever won a championship, much less as recently as these three programs. I'm not saying Sherri has to go, but I am saying that this comment is from a person that is in the dark about current OU athletics.

Do you remember that the Women's team went undefeated in the Big XII last year? No team has ever done that. They have won or tied the Big XII the last two years. Gymnastics ? C'mon.......Womens softball has been a disappointment the last two years..albeit they are kicking booty now..and you are completely comfortable coming into another football season with no experience at QB. I am just trying to say that Womens basketball should not be criticized at this point. That program is on the rise and selling out games. If you don't like womens basketball I understand that. If shooting holes in coach Coale makes your day, go for it.

Where would the other sports be if we cancelled them a decade ago. :)

TopDaugIn2000
3/27/2007, 08:35 AM

IN.

badger
3/27/2007, 08:41 AM
The other night on the Austin CBS station, they said that UT was looking at coach Coale and Duke's coach as possible replacement hires.

I watched the the Marquette game today. In the 2nd half, the announcer said that OU turns the ball over way too much, even against less athletic teams.
they should go after lsu's coach:D

picasso
3/27/2007, 09:41 AM
wasn't she a winner from day 1?

fwsooner22
3/27/2007, 10:00 AM
Wow......how do you get neg spek from someone who does not even post in the thread.....nothing in the comment line either......real thought provoker huh Okienole3.......wow......

Neg spek for sticking up for your own coach and program.......that is baffling

sanantoniosooner
3/27/2007, 10:18 AM
Wow......how do you get neg spek from someone who does not even post in the thread.....nothing in the comment line either......real thought provoker huh Okienole3.......wow......

Neg spek for sticking up for your own coach and program.......that is baffling
Don't worry about it.

Probably the same one that hit me. It means more to them than it should you.

fwsooner22
3/27/2007, 10:23 AM
Don't worry about it.

Thanks.....and you're right

tommieharris91
3/27/2007, 11:39 AM
Do you remember that the Women's team went undefeated in the Big XII last year? No team has ever done that. They have won or tied the Big XII the last two years. Gymnastics ? C'mon.......Womens softball has been a disappointment the last two years..albeit they are kicking booty now..and you are completely comfortable coming into another football season with no experience at QB. I am just trying to say that Womens basketball should not be criticized at this point. That program is on the rise and selling out games. If you don't like womens basketball I understand that. If shooting holes in coach Coale makes your day, go for it.

Where would the other sports be if we cancelled them a decade ago. :)

I sure hope you read the rest of my post. It wasn't meant as an attack on coach Coale. It was just to show you that there are other programs at OU that are more consistent winners than women's basketball, and also have won NCs within the last 10 years. Now, I don't plan on ever going to a softball game or gymnastics meet, but I have been to a few women's basketball games this year. I like what Sherri has done with the team. I like the youth with the team, and I like the the fact that we have women that come from families with other great athletes in them.

toast
3/27/2007, 12:47 PM
Sherri is just upset that no one has come up with a "Calvin Simpson" for her name yet.

No coach is perfect and there are going to be matchup problems every year no matter what kind of team you have. Am I disappointed we didn't advance farther? Absolutely. Do I recognize that the horizon is very bright for the women's b-ball program? Absolutely. The next couple of years are going to be a lot of fun.

FaninAma
3/27/2007, 03:37 PM
I come back a couple of days later and find the responses very non-suprsing from the knee jerk, name calling pinheads. (Yeah, I know, pinheads is a derogatory name.)

Some of you think Sooner women's basketball began with Sherii Coale. Another dirty little secret is that it didn't and that the Sooners actually made it to the NCAA's before Sherri graced us with her presence. The program only became a priority for the OU AD recently and that has made a world of difference.

I'm not saying Sherri won't become a good coach. I'm just saying her game-time coaching skills and ganme management are average at this time and she will continue to get beat by better coaches in the tournament.

I think Sherri will get better and will understand she needs a different game plan and set of athletes for this level.

Sherri was awfully good at dishing out criticism of her predecessors at OU. I think her ego can handle a little bit of the same from me.

And whoever gave the thread a one-star, thank you. It gives me a great deal of pleasure to know I ruffled your feathers.

KC//CRIMSON
3/27/2007, 04:02 PM
I'm not saying Sherri won't become a good coach.

Become? She's been the head coach for eleven years. She's a solid coach.

Newbomb Turk
3/27/2007, 05:01 PM

no - your neg was from me!

j/k :D

AllAboutThe'O'
3/27/2007, 05:22 PM
they should go after lsu's coach:D

Pokey or Starkey, the interim coach?
Starkey, BTW, has said that he doesn't want the permanent job at LSU. So if the Tigers do indeed win the tournament, Starkey could be one of those rare coaches who went out on top with a perfect record. So if that happened, I certainly couldn't blame him for not wanting the job on a permanent basis.

badger
3/27/2007, 06:06 PM
if you're worried about two-straight sweet 16 trips, remember that stacy dales had the same two trips once... in addition to yearly losses to Iowa State (stupid cyclones...)

then, the next year we win the big 12, the tourney and our season ends with a loss to the greatest team in the last many years.

FaninAma
3/27/2007, 07:39 PM
This is one of the most ludicrous threads I've seen on this board.

Apparently you know nothing about OU softball (like 35-3 right now), OU gymnastics (recent 3-time repeat champs), and OU football ('nuff said). This is one of the craziest statement I've ever seen here. Neither men's nor women's basketball at OU has ever won a championship, much less as recently as these three programs. I'm not saying Sherri has to go, but I am saying that this comment is from a person that is in the dark about current OU athletics.

With all of this, anyone saying Sherri Coale should be fired can be put in the same boat as those who say Bob Stoops should leave. This team won a share of the conference regular season title, and won the Big XII tournament. Unfortunately, it fell short of postseason goals. Sound like another OU team that is incredibly popular?

Personally, there are only two women's basketball coaches that I'd rather have than Sherri Coale, and neither of them are as easy on the eyes (Geno Auriemma and Pat Summitt). OU women's basketball was on life support before she got here. In 5 years her program went from 8-19 to national runner-up. Now were getting some women with athletic pedigrees into our program. Sherri knows what she's doing. Leave her be.

Some of you are running a long way with the hook in your mouth and the slack in the line.

I never said Sherri Coale was a bad coach. I said she was an average coach. With the talent she's had about half of the coaches could have achieved the same or better results and about half could have achieved the same or lesser results.

Just by upgrading her talent Sherri will be able to get further in the tournament...althugh I would argue she had Final Four level talent this year. The biggest fault I can find with her teams is that they don't adjust well during games in which they face a team that plays aggressively. They just seem to lose their cool and composure. And I think this starts at the top.

Mississipi won the last game by making several unanawered runs, the last of which was after OU had pulled to within 2. Sherri looked a little like a deer in the headlites during that last run when she perhaps should have called a timeout once Mississipi got up by 4. Instead she allowed the Rebels to run the lead to a 4 possession game.

Sherri is dynamic, charismatic and a good leader. Once she upgrades her game-time coaching skills the OU women will be unstoppable.

Gandalf_The_Grey
3/27/2007, 08:12 PM
Well you have to realize that even though Sherri has been coaching for 11 years here, she is basically green behind the ears. You have to take into account that her first 4 or 5 years at OU, she was basically behind EVERYONE in talent, support, and structure. So she taught them to be disciplined and fundamental...Very Kelvin Sampson like. When Stacey Dales got here, she had a marquee player who could create and that allowed Sherri more creativity. And now she is slowly acquiring more and more great talent but with that comes the fact that the Connecticuts, Tennessees, and other bigger schools now feel that coming to Norman or having OU come to their court is a big deal, this mean Sherri now is coaching against some of the best minds in college basketball. Just as reference, look at how stupid Bobby Bowden looked when he coached against Bob Stoops in the National Title year.....Bobby Bowden is still one of the greatest coaches but if you take just that night look at how it seems. Sherri is still learning and she with even more fan support has a chance to create something spectacular...if Sherri doesn't win a National title in the next 5 years...I would be shocked.

usmc-sooner
3/27/2007, 08:24 PM
Well you have to realize that even though Sherri has been coaching for 11 years here, she is basically green behind the ears. You have to take into account that her first 4 or 5 years at OU, she was basically behind EVERYONE in talent, support, and structure. So she taught them to be disciplined and fundamental...Very Kelvin Sampson like. When Stacey Dales got here, she had a marquee player who could create and that allowed Sherri more creativity. And now she is slowly acquiring more and more great talent but with that comes the fact that the Connecticuts, Tennessees, and other bigger schools now feel that coming to Norman or having OU come to their court is a big deal, this mean Sherri now is coaching against some of the best minds in college basketball. Just as reference, look at how stupid Bobby Bowden looked when he coached against Bob Stoops in the National Title year.....Bobby Bowden is still one of the greatest coaches but if you take just that night look at how it seems. Sherri is still learning and she with even more fan support has a chance to create something spectacular...if Sherri doesn't win a National title in the next 5 years...I would be shocked.

Switzer whooped his *** a few times as well :D

tommieharris91
3/27/2007, 11:36 PM
Some of you are running a long way with the hook in your mouth and the slack in the line.

I never said Sherri Coale was a bad coach. I said she was an average coach. With the talent she's had about half of the coaches could have achieved the same or better results and about half could have achieved the same or lesser results.

Just by upgrading her talent Sherri will be able to get further in the tournament...althugh I would argue she had Final Four level talent this year. The biggest fault I can find with her teams is that they don't adjust well during games in which they face a team that plays aggressively. They just seem to lose their cool and composure. And I think this starts at the top.

Mississipi won the last game by making several unanawered runs, the last of which was after OU had pulled to within 2. Sherri looked a little like a deer in the headlites during that last run when she perhaps should have called a timeout once Mississipi got up by 4. Instead she allowed the Rebels to run the lead to a 4 possession game.

Sherri is dynamic, charismatic and a good leader. Once she upgrades her game-time coaching skills the OU women will be unstoppable.

Other than the half-and-half comparison, I agree with everything you say here. I would say she's not in the top tier of in-game coaches, but she knows what she is doing. What killed us this year were turnovers, and I think with an off-season to correct those problems, we'll be fine next year.

mOUse
3/28/2007, 07:23 AM
This thread is worthless without pics

?????

OK!!!
http://www.superlaugh.com/pets/funny.jpg

Collier11
3/28/2007, 10:54 AM

Remember also, alot of who wins and loses in the tourney is about match-ups and not necessarily who the better team was. We had a better team than ole miss, but they had so much team speed which we didnt have, and that is why they beat us. Sometimes you just run into a team that plays a different style and plays it really well for that given game. That being said, there is no reason that we should be having 20-30 turnovers a game, while it is still girls basketball ;) they should be able to make a two handed chest pass without it flying out of bounds or right to the other team!

Taxman71
3/29/2007, 12:08 PM
I think most people underestimate just how hard it is to win a title in basketball at nearly any level. Anyone can lose to virtually anyone else on a given night based on shooting %, turnovers and fouls. Considering you have to win 6 games to take the title, the odds are stacked against everyone. With 64 teams, there are just too many talented squads with the potential to create a bad matchup for your particular team.

Besides, the truly "best" team hardly ever wins the NCAA men's title. This was well proven by the 1991 UNLV men's team which was literally 25 points better than every team in the country that year and didn't win the NC.

JohnnyMack
3/29/2007, 12:46 PM
Sherri Coale is actually a direct descendant of Abraham Lincoln.

How many of you people knew that?

Rhino
3/29/2007, 01:06 PM
It's obvious FaninAma gets bored often.

stoopified
3/30/2007, 10:38 AM
[QUOTE=FaninAma]

That is one of the stupidest comments I have ever read.By that argument Bob Stoops is average because HE has lost SEVERAL games where he was OUTCOACHED.That doesn't mean an average coach could take OU's talent and win titles.I'm sorry Faninama but you are way off on this one.Sherri Coale desrves to ranked in the TOP 20 coaches(at the very least) in womens basketball today.She is far from AVERAGE.

FaninAma
3/30/2007, 11:36 AM
[quote=FaninAma]

That is one of the stupidest comments I have ever read.By that argument Bob Stoops is average because HE has lost SEVERAL games where he was OUTCOACHED.That doesn't mean an average coach could take OU's talent and win titles.I'm sorry Faninama but you are way off on this one.Sherri Coale desrves to ranked in the TOP 20 coaches(at the very least) in womens basketball today.She is far from AVERAGE.

BS. Sherri's record is enhanced by the fact that OU plays in the Big 12 which is a mediocre conference except for Baylor and a couple other teams that have had a couple of good years since Sherri arrived at OU(KSU, Texas). Save her final four run when she caught lightening in a bottle with Stacy Dales, Ross and the girls from Ada, her record against the truly good coaches is abysmal.

Bob Stoops still has a winning record v. Top 20 teams and Top 10 teams. There's no comparison between Stoops and Coale's performances v. teams of equal or greater talent.

Rhino, you've got a lot more posts that I do so I guess that means you're a lot more bored than I am.

Collier11
3/30/2007, 11:52 AM
[quote=stoopified]

BS. Sherri's record is enhanced by the fact that OU plays in the Big 12 which is a mediocre conference except for Baylor and a couple other teams that have had a couple of good years since Sherri arrived at OU(KSU, Texas). Save her final four run when she caught lightening in a bottle with Stacy Dales, Ross and the girls from Ada, her record against the truly good coaches is abysmal.

Bob Stoops still has a winning record v. Top 20 teams and Top 10 teams. There's no comparison between Stoops and Coale's performances v. teams of equal or greater talent.

Rhino, you've got a lot more posts that I do so I guess that means you're a lot more bored than I am.

Baylor, A$M, Texas until this year, Kstate, Osu now, give me a break that the big 12 sucks. I am tired of this bs argument that we constantly here in bball and fball, there are always going to be 1 to 3 really good teams, and 4-6 good teams in every conf. Thats how it works~!

Rhino
3/30/2007, 11:56 AM
Rhino, you've got a lot more posts that I do so I guess that means you're a lot more bored than I am. FaninAma, the only reason you post anymore is to light the fuse, run away and watch the fireworks from far away.

Okieflyer
3/30/2007, 12:07 PM
My original post was not to agree that Sherri is a poor coach. Rather, that the turnovers this year were so frustrating - especially in the Ole Miss game.

Yeah, yeah watch him backpedal. :rolleyes:

;)

Newbomb Turk
3/30/2007, 12:27 PM
Yeah, yeah watch him backpedal. :rolleyes:

;)

bite me.

:D

FaninAma
3/30/2007, 01:35 PM
[quote=FaninAma]

Baylor, A$M, Texas until this year, Kstate, Osu now, give me a break that the big 12 sucks. I am tired of this bs argument that we constantly here in bball and fball, there are always going to be 1 to 3 really good teams, and 4-6 good teams in every conf. Thats how it works~!

How did the Big 12 do in the NCAA tournament this year or over the past 6 years? Baylor won the title. OU played in 1 final four. Texas played in one final four. Other than that the Big 12 hasn't done jack. TAMU only recently has had any success. TT has been a good program but they have been n a downward slide for the past 5 years and really haven't made any noise in the NCAA tournament for a while.

The Big 12 is not the SEC, ACC, or the Big 10 or even the Big East. The only power conference that is more mediocre than the Big 12 is the PAC 10. Now if your going to use Conference championships and conference wins as your benchmark then lets compare the Big 12 to the WAC, PAC 10, Mid-American, Conference USA and other lesser conferences. Then I would agree with you that Sherri is a better coach than most of the coaches in these conferences, although she has had better talent than most of the teams in these conferences, also.

FaninAma
3/30/2007, 01:39 PM
FaninAma, the only reason you post anymore is to light the fuse, run away and watch the fireworks from far away.

BS. I've posted responses and continue to post responses in every thread I start. Sorry I don't have the time to watch the threads every single minute and respond in real time to every post.

BTW, if

FaninAma
Delete

FaninAma
FaninAma, the only reason you post anymore is to light the fuse, run away and watch the fireworks from far away.

BS. I've posted responses and continue to post responses in every thread I start. Sorry I don't have the time to watch the threads every single minute and respond in real time to every post in the thread.

But you can let me know if there is a board policy about the minimal number of responses a poster has to make in threads that the poster starts. Or if unpopular opinions are no longer allowed on the board. Thanks.

fwsooner22
3/30/2007, 01:45 PM
It's one thing to be good at criticizing......It's another thing to be able to be criticized........

Rhino
3/30/2007, 02:19 PM
But you can let me know if there is a board policy about the minimal number of responses a poster has to make in threads that the poster starts. Or if unpopular opinions are no longer allowed on the board. Thanks. Just observing that you're a rabble rouser lately.

Gandalf_The_Grey
3/30/2007, 04:07 PM
Umm you just named 4 teams in the last 6 years that have gone to the Final Four from the Big XII...Let's see 6x4=24 4/24=1/6 So let's see 1/6th of all Final Four teams over the last 6 years have been Big XII and also have a National Title during that streak. Also we are the only conference with 4 different teams to have that honor. One could argue that shows the depth of our conference.

Duke 3
Maryland
North Carolina
LSU 3
Baylor
Tennessee 4
Michigan State
UConn 4
Minnesota
tejas
Oklahoma
Notre Dame
Purdue
Missouri St.

That is every School that has participated in a Final Four in the last 6 years. Just 10 of the 24 have been there once. Over 50% of the appearances in the Final 4 have been acounted for by 4 teams...Duke, LSU, Tennessee, and UConn. The SEC has only had 2 teams make it to the Final 4 in the last 6 years...now if they were a deep and powerful juggernaut..surely they would more than 2 teams having gone. That is exactly one more team than the Missouri Valley Conference has had. All I am saying is that there is not statistical evidence to back up dominance of conference one way or the other. There is only evidence to support that Tennessee and UConn have dominated the sports and just over the last 2 or 3 years have we began to see Maryland...Dukes, North Carolina's, and yes Oklahoma's to challenge them on their mighty throne. The Big XII is one of the best conferences in the country because of our depth, this year was an anamoly.

FaninAma
3/30/2007, 04:50 PM
Just observing that you're a rabble rouser lately.

Rhino, sorry if I sounded perturbed.

I've always beena rabble rouser. I never try to be a part of the rabble.
The reason it may seem that I am actively engaged in recent rabble rousing is because I made a conscious effort to avoid controversial threads in an effort to improve my personal appeal to the average SF poster for a few months. It just wasn't as much fun so I returned to my normal mode of posting.

I do try to avoid going after posters personally.

TopDawg
3/30/2007, 05:08 PM

None of those things are ALWAYS due to lack of athleticism, but they can be.

starclassic tama
3/30/2007, 09:07 PM
i think it's actually a good thing that people care enough about OU women's basketball to gripe about the coaching, that actually is a huge compliment to coach coale i would say.

FaninAma
3/31/2007, 01:11 PM
i think it's actually a good thing that people care enough about OU women's basketball to gripe about the coaching, that actually is a huge compliment to coach coale i would say.

I agree. I want OU women's basketball to reach the same plane as OU football. OU has always had a rich tradition in high school girl's basketball and if there had been more support back in the 70's from the OU administration OU would already have a program on par Tennessee and Connecticut.

Sooner24
3/31/2007, 11:03 PM
I agree. I want OU women's basketball to reach the same plane as OU football. OU has always had a rich tradition in high school girl's basketball and if there had been more support back in the 70's from the OU administration OU would already have a program on par Tennessee and Connecticut.

If we would quit taking those West Texas girls we might get better. ;)

stoopified
4/1/2007, 11:01 AM
I agree. I want OU women's basketball to reach the same plane as OU football. OU has always had a rich tradition in high school girl's basketball and if there had been more support back in the 70's from the OU administration OU would already have a program on par Tennessee and Connecticut.Now that I gree with 100%.Sherri Coale is NOW taking us there, and it IS an ongoing journey.Duke,UConn,UT, & TU did not start on top they Journied there.We are making the climb now and have passed UT,Baylor,Old Dominion,La. Tech and many others along the way.Trust me Summit and the other top coaches ARE lokking over their shoulder because they KNOW Sherri and OU are gaining on them.No Sherri didn't invent OU women's basketball but she is perfecting it.

OklahomaRed
4/3/2007, 01:14 PM
Now that I gree with 100%.Sherri Coale is NOW taking us there, and it IS an ongoing journey.Duke,UConn,UT, & TU did not start on top they Journied there.We are making the climb now and have passed UT,Baylor,Old Dominion,La. Tech and many others along the way.Trust me Summit and the other top coaches ARE lokking over their shoulder because they KNOW Sherri and OU are gaining on them.No Sherri didn't invent OU women's basketball but she is perfecting it.

Point taken; however, wasn't the original point by FaninAma that to get to the next level, our coaching has to quit allowing O.U. to be beaten by team's with less athletic talent in the NCAA tournament? Isn't that logically the next step from "building" a nationally recognized program, to "becoming" a nationally recognized program? Seems like a lot of discussion for a fairly simple point?

FaninAma
4/3/2007, 04:54 PM
Point taken; however, wasn't the original point by FaninAma that to get to the next level, our coaching has to quit allowing O.U. to be beaten by team's with less athletic talent in the NCAA tournament? Isn't that logically the next step from "building" a nationally recognized program, to "becoming" a nationally recognized program? Seems like a lot of discussion for a fairly simple point?

Shhhhhhh, don't try to point out anything logical while there are so many posters engaged in a massive, synchronized knee-jerk. You may throw off their timing.:)

stoopified
4/5/2007, 03:36 PM

:DThe original point which I strongly disagree with is that Sherri is only an AVERAGE coach. Nothing could be further from the TRUTH.There are no average coaches out there who could do more than Sherri has done in her time at OU. I will go so far as to modify my original evaluation of Sherri and place her in the TOP 10 of womens basketball coaches.There are damn few coaches out there at all that could do a better job than Sherri has done at OU.The last point that faninama made which I agreed with is that OU would have been further along basketball wise for the feminine gender IF there had been support for it at an earlier time.The key point fan and Red are missing is that did not exist and THAT is why the journey to the very top is still ongoing and NOT because of Coach Coales lack of coaching ability.

All coaches lose games as I have stated before(another point you seem to have missed) and often to lesser opponents,for example Stoops losing to oSu in '01,'02 and Bsu in '07.B Bud lost to lesser opponents,as did Barry and what about DEFENDING NATIONAL CHAMP Maryland losing to the same Old Miss team Sherri lost to?It happens and hardly puts Stoops or Barry or Coale in the average category.As for building a Nationally recognized program that was done with the 2002 National Title appearence( how do you think we got the Paris Twins?)Now as I stated before Coale is making OU bigger and better.

This is my last word on this thread as it is painfully obvious that this is a devisive topic on which No parties involved are going to change their minds. Therefore I will simply agree to disagree on this matter.Boomer Sooner.