PDA

View Full Version : New Graduate Assitant Hired

snp
3/26/2007, 02:50 AM
I know this is a few days old, but it hasn't been brought up on this board yet, and hell, we need more actual discussion of the team.

http://www.reviewjournal.com/lvrj_home/2007/Mar-23-Fri-2007/sports/13353896.html

Football coach White leaves Gorman, joins Sooners' staff

By DAMON SEITERS
REVIEW-JOURNAL

Bishop Gorman High School on Thursday announced the resignation of football coach Dave White.

White, who coached the Gaels for four seasons, is leaving to take a job as an offensive graduate assistant at Oklahoma.
Advertisement

White said he would initially work with the offensive line and could eventually spend more time coaching the tight ends. White was a tight end at UNLV.

"It's going to be a great opportunity," said White, who posted a 30-12 record in his four seasons at Gorman. "But it's tough to leave a great program and a lot of friendships."

White said he is looking forward to the opportunity to work under Sooners head coach Bob Stoops.

"I've said all along I'm either here (at Gorman) or I'm going to Oklahoma," White said. "He offered me the position two years ago and I turned it down. Now this is a time in my life and the opportunity is there again. Bob sees something in me, and I've got to take advantage of it."

He's taking a pretty steep paycut, but this is his dream job. Probably won't get hired after his GA stint is over, but who knows.

badger
3/26/2007, 08:47 AM
maybe mike stoops will hire him as an assist and then he'll come back to ou as an assist.

well, at least he gets his grad degree, right?

sooner_born_1960
3/26/2007, 10:19 AM
well, at least he gets his grad degree, right?
I didn't realize graduate assistants were supposed to be in graduate school.

nolesooner1984
3/26/2007, 11:51 AM
From what I have heard, he is going to be working with the TE's or something on the offensive side of the ball. He wanted to get into the world of college coaching and this is the way to do it. He has to bite the bullet and become a GA to be able to go somewhere else maybe. OU is a great place to start out because our program is so good.

I see him coming to OU and then leaving fairly soon.

Frozen Sooner
3/26/2007, 11:57 AM
Well, he'll have to go somewhere in two years. I think I remember that grad assistants can only be on staff for two years or something like that.

snp
3/26/2007, 12:10 PM
From what I have heard, he is going to be working with the TE's or something on the offensive side of the ball.

White said he would initially work with the offensive line and could eventually spend more time coaching the tight ends. White was a tight end at UNLV.

Sigh...

Seamus
3/26/2007, 01:44 PM
Heh.

Ash
3/26/2007, 09:20 PM
Offered twice? I guess Stoops does see something in him.

goingoneight
3/26/2007, 09:39 PM
That's DeMarco Murray and Ryan Reynolds' high school football coach, correct? Well, from what we've heard about these guys, good chemistry is another positive to getting the most out of them. :)

nolesooner1984
3/26/2007, 11:13 PM
I think he will be beneficial to our team. If we could get our TE's doing very well the things they need to be doing and then get a QB who feels comfortable throwing them the ball, our offense will be great. If he works with the TE's, maybe he can get them some better techniques on how to do things. I don't know. I just blabbing.

snp
3/26/2007, 11:43 PM
I think our TEs are fine, they were just underutilized in our system last year. I am bias because I have a mancrush on Gresham, but he had some great plays last year but not many opportunities. A couple of freshman mistakes to bookend his season, but he looked great when he had the chances. JJF was very consistent as well, but not called upon much either.

Eldridge is doing great in his H-Back role, but needs some work on his hands.

I think last year was more of a case where PT felt more comfortable throwing it to Malcom why shouldn't he - he could be the best WR in NCAA next year.

Anyways, Whitey might not even get to TEs this year, might just be working with the offensive line more. That o-line will be incredible next year.

goingoneight
3/27/2007, 01:20 AM
TE's underutilized, yes. At least we threw the ball to them this year. I almost passed out in shock when JJF caught the TD pass against UAB. :D My dad immediately replied "well, I guess Chuck IS gone..."

nolesooner1984
3/27/2007, 01:31 PM
I make this statement about our TE's because a fan from BSU was very unimpressed with our TE's blocking. He says when he went back and watched film on it, JJF missed some key blocks in that game.

I know he is a BSU fan, but he made some valid points on our guys. TE's is a huge position to block for and I do hope that our guys can be great at blocking and consistent when they have to catch the ball.

SoonerRoads
3/27/2007, 07:39 PM
I know this is a few days old, but it hasn't been brought up on this board yet, and hell, we need more actual discussion of the team.

http://www.reviewjournal.com/lvrj_home/2007/Mar-23-Fri-2007/sports/13353896.html

He's taking a pretty steep paycut, but this is his dream job. Probably won't get hired after his GA stint is over, but who knows.

Who knows........coaching, for lack of a better term......is like a fraternity. You have to be "in" to take advantage of the benefits and this is his way of gaining valuable experience, getting his Masters and at the same time, paying his dues. Who knows what may lie on the horizon for him. Good luck Coach!

Just my take.

AzianSooner
3/27/2007, 08:32 PM
Bob likes new ideas and creativities.

nolesooner1984
3/27/2007, 09:55 PM
Bob likes new ideas and creativities.

Unless it has to do with opening up the offense with a lead.

Seamus
3/27/2007, 10:03 PM
Nick?