PDA

View Full Version : yard work eye protection experts

MamaMia
3/25/2007, 10:37 PM
Whats the best kind? I almost lost an eye when I tried my hand at the weed eating. A little rock hit me right in the temple. :eek:

Well, I did the scalping of the back yard today. I ended up getting a rear bagger, push propelled, Sears Craftman mower with a Honda engine. Tomorrow I will tackle the front yard. Baby steps you know. :P

It was a real experience. My friends and family, especially my husband and father, didn't think I would make it through, but I showed them. ;)

The bagging of the grass was the hardest part. I had to have help with that. I will have to empty the bag before it gets too full for awhile until I build up my strength. Almost full of grass lawn bags make great beer drinking bean bags. :P

I got all dirty and grassy. When I was all done I noticed there was even grass on my socks and I had tennis shoes on! I am so sore all over. I have muscles I must not have used since I was a baton twirler, as I don't remember them having any feeling at all since then...... until today. I have decided to have a muscle soothing whirlpool tub put into my new bathroom I'm going to build with all the money I'm saving mowing this freakin' yard of mine. I'am a different person now. This was a life changing experience. :D

royalfan5
3/25/2007, 10:40 PM
When I used to work in groundskeeping, the big plastic protective goggles always did the trick. I'm sure the are at the hardware store, wal-mart, etc.

MamaMia
3/25/2007, 10:43 PM
When I used to work in groundskeeping, the big plastic protective goggles always did the trick. I'm sure the are at the hardware store, wal-mart, etc.I have trouble seeing well without my glasses and I cant wear contacts. Can I wear glasses under goggles?

OCUDad
3/25/2007, 10:45 PM
Yes, you can. The goggles are made oversize for that very eventuality. Protect your eyes, Mama - they are the window to your soul.

VeeJay
3/25/2007, 10:46 PM
Does your hubby sit around sipping brews while you do the yard work?

Mama - they don't make 'em like you any more!

PS - if you can, get your eyes lasered (LASIK). What a gift.

MamaMia
3/25/2007, 11:09 PM
Does your hubby sit around sipping brews while you do the yard work?

Mama - they don't make 'em like you any more!

PS - if you can, get your eyes lasered (LASIK). What a gift.

Can they do that surgery on people who are far sighted and needle phobic?

DaddyMias mower is so old and out dated that he was very supportive in wanting me to buy a nice mower, that I would personally like, to make the job easier. He picked up my new mower from the store and assembled the handles and bag for me. He put all that together and went and got me some gas and filled it up and added the oil while I read the instructions and all the do's and don'ts. Then he showed me how to mow by doing the outer edge but I insisted on taking over right away, after all he was perfectly willing to hire a lawn person. He had no intention of doing the mowing and edging. This whole idea of saving the money for an additional bathroom is all my doing. Oh, he also had to rescue me after I almost ran into the birdbath. Who knew you could slow the mower down by letting up on the propelling bar? :O

When I almost lost my eye, he banned me from the weed eater so I just gave the yard its second going over. I was surprised that I got just as much grass on the second go-over as the first. He also started getting the gardens cleaned up for replanting and started laying the new black tarp. He told his mom that he was quite impressed and promised to show her the photos he took. :D