PDA

View Full Version : Our former Police chief was shot and killed last night

olevetonahill
3/24/2007, 03:08 PM
He had went to work for the Ft Smith Police department.
He had answered a "Domestic" call :mad:
No news link yet , But his wife and kids live here In Wister.
I had known Him about 15 yrs . he has a twin bro.

StoopTroup
3/24/2007, 03:27 PM
Sorry to hear.

God Bless the Family.

BajaOklahoma
3/24/2007, 03:37 PM
Sad. Sorry for the family and friends.

Newbomb Turk
3/24/2007, 03:40 PM
How horrible - sorry vet.

Prayers for his family.

yermom
3/24/2007, 04:32 PM
that sucks man :(

olevetonahill
3/24/2007, 05:09 PM
TD2k Probably knew him , he was from the Shady Point area .
Officer Danny Martineze (sp)
His Kids are the ones I feel for .

Newbomb Turk
3/24/2007, 05:20 PM
They don't mention an officer, but is this it vet?

Man Shot, Killed In Dispute

By Lareign Ward
Friday, March 23, 2007 10:12 AM CDT
TIMES RECORD • [email protected] ([email protected])

A man was killed in a shooting Thursday evening in the 4500 block of Spradling Avenue.

Police were called to the scene around 7:30 p.m. Details of what happened were scarce, although Fort Smith police detective Mike Warren came out at one point, still wearing gloves, and gave a brief statement.

“There was some type of disturbance out here, the police were called ... in that disturbance a middle-aged white male was shot and killed,” Warren said. He declined to give a name, saying next of kin had yet to be notified.

Neighbors huddled in their yard to watch what unfolded, getting as close to the yellow police tape as they could without crossing. Flashing police lights cast a pale blue pall over the scene.

One woman who refused to give her name said the disturbance started over some people riding four-wheelers around the neighborhood, which she said spurred one man to call the police and the police to tell the riders to stop.

“And the guys walked over there, knocked on the door, and asked why did he call the police and he said get the f--- off my porch and shot the guy in the head,” the woman said, making a gun with her hand and miming the shooting action.

Around 9 p.m, an SUV backed into the driveway of the white house, and a covered body was loaded into it as neighbors looked on.

olevetonahill
3/24/2007, 05:26 PM
Nope
I found it on 5 News
Print Text Size

Fort Smith
Fort Smith police officer shot and killed; suspect also dead

March 24, 2007 11:12 AM CDT

Local News More >

FORT SMITH - A Fort Smith police officer was shot Friday night in the 500 block of South U Street and died at an area hospital a short time later. Police say the suspect, 26-year-old Richard Englebright Jr., killed himself near Spiro after being located by the Oklahoma Highway Patrol.

Officer Daniel C. Martinez was called to the house on U Street at 9:42 p.m. to provide protection for a woman who said she was picking up her baby from the home. Police say the woman, 22-year-old Donna Stevens, had been involved in a disturbance with the suspect's brother, 24-year-old Bobby Englebright, earlier that day at the residence.

According to investigators, Stevens and Officer Martinez met Richard Englebright at the home and said she was there to get her child. He told her to wait a moment shut the door, then came back with a handgun and shot Officer Martinez in the head. Police say he also shot Stevens three times in the back, shoulder and elbow as she tried to flee.

Officer Martinez was rushed to Sparks Regional Medical Center, where he died about an hour later. Stevens was taken to St. Edwards, and later flown to UAMS in Little Rock with serious injuries.

"This is the first officer we've had fatally wounded in about 20 or 25 years," Sgt. Copeland said. "We have a lot of officers who have worked with this officer, so it's going to be very hard. This is not something we're used to and it's not something we want to get used to."

Officer Martinez served for several years with the Poteau and Panama, Okla. Police Departments before becoming Chief of Police at Shady Point Police Department. He was then made Chief of Police at Wister Police Department before serving at the Fort Smith Police Department, beginning in July of 2006.

Officer Martinez leaves behind a wife, Alice, and five children. He was 33 years old.

I knew he was in his early 30s , Didnt know he had 5 kids

Newbomb Turk
3/24/2007, 05:30 PM
5 kids ... I can't imagine.

olevetonahill
3/24/2007, 05:55 PM
5 kids ... I can't imagine.
At least 3 diferant women .

Newbomb Turk
3/24/2007, 05:59 PM
At least 3 diferant women .

good lord - you could write a soap opera out there.

soonerbrat
3/24/2007, 06:01 PM
I heard about that...so sorry.

I regularly check the Officer Down Memorial Page (http://www.odmp.org/officer.php?oid=18823)

usmc-sooner
3/24/2007, 06:04 PM
that's too bad.

olevetonahill
3/24/2007, 07:59 PM
good lord - you could write a soap opera out there.
At least several Country songs ;)
My son was Good Buds with Danny , hes taking it hard .
Dannys son and My Grandson where /are on the same ball team .
So its kinda close to home .

OUHOMER
3/24/2007, 09:01 PM
Sorry to here that, they say a domestic call is the most dangerous.

prayers for the familys.

olevetonahill
3/24/2007, 09:10 PM
Sorry to here that, they say a domestic call is the most dangerous.

prayers for the familys.
From my 2 years
It was domestics or the " routine traffic stop "

jk the sooner fan
3/24/2007, 09:39 PM
sad deal

Dallas PD lost an officer after a gun battle yesterday evening

olevetonahill
3/25/2007, 12:31 AM
Our whole PD is taking it hard .

MamaMia
3/25/2007, 12:59 AM
Thats awful. I will say a prayer for his family and friends.

OU-HSV
3/25/2007, 01:13 AM
Sad to hear this news

poteausooner
3/26/2007, 04:22 PM
I went to high school and played ball with Danny and his twin Doug. He was truly one of the great ones that loved his job and had one other love of racing. I have a brother thats not taking it very well either because he and Danny had become close frinds through law enforcement and racing. Its a great loss here in this area. All of my prayers go to Danny, his wife and their kids, his mom and dad, brother and sister.