PDA

View Full Version : Finally! Its Kumquat season

MamaMia
3/24/2007, 11:46 AM
Its kumquat season. Yum. I eat them raw; peeling and all.

So, get yourself some kumquats. They're real healthy for you and the kiddos. Here is my favorite kumquat recipe and its so easy to make. :D

MamaMias Famous Kumquat Pound Cake

1 Cup of chopped kumquats (puree them)
2 Cups of unsalted butter
3 Cups of sugar
1 Tbsp. pure vanilla
10 large eggs
4 Cups of flour
1/2 tsp. of ginger
1/4 tsp. of nutmeg

Cream your butter with 1/2 cup of the sugar, then add remaining sugar, your ginger and then the nutmeg. Beat at high speed for about 4 minutes scraping the bowl often. Add the eggs two at a time scraping bowl occasionally. At low speed, add flour until blended. Stir in the kumquat puree. pour that into a greased and floured 10' tube pan. Cover with foil and bake 1 hour and 15 minutes. Invert and remove from pan and cool.

Yummy.

Mjcpr
3/24/2007, 12:20 PM
I had a mild stroke just reading about the 10 eggs.

;)

SicEmBaylor
3/24/2007, 12:21 PM
Its kumquat season. Yum. I eat them raw; peeling and all.

So, get yourself some kumquats. They're real healthy for you and the kiddos. Here is my favorite kumquat recipe and its so easy to make. :D

MamaMias Famous Kumquat Pound Cake

1 Cup of chopped kumquats (puree them)
2 Cups of unsalted butter
3 Cups of sugar
1 Tbsp. pure vanilla
10 large eggs
4 Cups of flour
1/2 tsp. of ginger
1/4 tsp. of nutmeg

Cream your butter with 1/2 cup of the sugar, then add remaining sugar, your ginger and then the nutmeg. Beat at high speed for about 4 minutes scraping the bowl often. Add the eggs two at a time scraping bowl occasionally. At low speed, add flour until blended. Stir in the kumquat puree. pour that into a greased and floured 10' tube pan. Cover with foil and bake 1 hour and 15 minutes. Invert and remove from pan and cool.

Yummy.

Adopt me.

MamaMia
3/24/2007, 01:09 PM
Adopt me.I believe I already have in a small way. ;)

I had a mild stroke just reading about the 10 eggs.

;)
Actually, little eggs will do just fine. :)

OUinFLA
3/24/2007, 08:26 PM
I have one in my back yard.
However, mine is a hybrid I picked up in St. Joe, Florida, home of the Florida Kumquat Festival.
Mine is both sweet rind and pulp.
Most are sour rind.
St Joe is an unlikely place to have an annual festival. The town has one general store gas station, a 4-way blinking stop light, and one really large kumquat tree nursery which retails all sorts of kumquat jams, jellys, juices, and of course.............trees.
A nice feature of kumquat trees is that they produce fruit about 4 times a year. Mine are "yard snacks". I grab a couple every time I walk by the tree.

JohnnyMack
3/24/2007, 08:52 PM
They're real healthy for you and the kiddos.

10 large eggs

Darlin' you gotta pick one or the other.

SoonerGirl06
3/24/2007, 09:00 PM
I'm trying to get over the fact there's a fruit called Kumquat.

olevetonahill
3/24/2007, 09:04 PM
For some reason the Name just sounds Nasty to me .
Give me the mountain oyesters;)

MamaMia
3/25/2007, 01:18 AM
Darlin' you gotta pick one or the other. Its okay as long as you share the pound cake. :D

OUin FLA, I would be in heaven if I had a sweet rind kumquat tree. Don't let any of those go to waste. I'll trade you some of my homemade Oklahoma wild sand plum jelly? ;)

For some reason the Name just sounds Nasty to me .
Give me the mountain oyesters;)Not as nasty as talking about Catholics going up and down and up and down sounded to me. :O

3/25/2007, 05:29 AM
I call my daughter "Sand Plum."

I think it has a nice ring to it. She always smiles when I use that term to address her.

My dad called me, "Fart Sack."

Still, that's pretty good. I mean, we didn't have much trouble finding each other in crowds.

MamaMia
3/25/2007, 12:26 PM
I call my daughter "Sand Plum."

I think it has a nice ring to it. She always smiles when I use that term to address her.

My dad called me, "Fart Sack."

Still, that's pretty good. I mean, we didn't have much trouble finding each other in crowds.
That is a sweet nickname. I have little pet names for my kids and grandkids too. :D