PDA

View Full Version : Any construction pros out there?

85Sooner
3/24/2007, 11:09 AM
Wife and I want to add a patio cover . it will be 14 x 30 slope roof attached to the facia of our house. I have a couple quotes and they are about 16-17k.

6x6 cedar posts with tounge in groove roof, shingled.3 ceiling fan connections and a couple power outlets. no additional specialty work

Thats about 38.57 a foot. Am I crazy or does this seem high?

Anyone got an idea of what price per sq ft I should be searching for.

TIA

1stTimeCaller
3/24/2007, 11:17 AM
tounge in groove
there's your cost. That's a pretty expensive ceiling.

OUHOMER
3/24/2007, 11:52 AM
seems very high to me. seems like you would be able to get a whole room addition for that price. Did they break down labor and material ?

85Sooner
3/24/2007, 12:02 PM
seems very high to me. seems like you would be able to get a whole room addition for that price. Did they break down labor and material ?

No breakdown of labor but the tounge in grooce roof is 1879.00 of the total amount

The way I see it is 6x6 cedar posts, 12x4 rafters, planking roof, 2x6 facia
#30 felt and 30 year shingles, 6 electrical runs. covers the rest of the cost.

I just think the materials would be 1000-2500.00 so that leaves labor. it seems expensive but maybe contractors can bid what they want because the building boom is still going on in austin.

OSUAggie
3/24/2007, 12:06 PM
Wife and I want to add a patio cover . it will be 14 x 30 slope roof attached to the facia of our house. I have a couple quotes and they are about 16-17k.

6x6 cedar posts with tounge in groove roof, shingled.3 ceiling fan connections and a couple power outlets. no additional specialty work

Thats about 38.57 a foot. Am I crazy or does this seem high?

Anyone got an idea of what price per sq ft I should be searching for.

TIA

6x6 8' rough cedar should run you about $70/per. 3/4" CD Yellow Pine T&G sheathing should be about $22/sheet. Don't know what kind of shingles you're using. Are they doing the electric?

85Sooner
3/24/2007, 12:08 PM
6x6 8' rough cedar should run you about $70/per. 3/4" CD Yellow Pine T&G sheathing should be about $22/sheet. Don't know what kind of shingles you're using. Are they doing the electric?

30 year 3 diminsional shingles. yeah they are running the electrical.

OSUAggie
3/24/2007, 12:25 PM
couple of rolls of felt - $30
14 or 15 sheets of T&G - $330
A few square of shingles - $250
don't know how many 6x6's you're using, but $70/per might even be high (people get raped on cedar)
don't know if they quoted double 2x12 or 4x12 RC for the rafters - 2x12's doug are typically about 1.25 lf, and 4x12 cedar is about $120 for a 12-footer
electrical shouldn't be that much, material-wise....

i'd say those are pretty high, but i don't know what the building situation is in Austin... it'd seem like the messicans would be prevelant and keep costs down somewhat, though.

Then again, I'm not on the construction end of it.

OUAndy1807
3/24/2007, 02:32 PM
A normal house will run from $65-120/sf . This includes foundation, shell, and finishes. I would think that $38/sf would be high because you won't have any plumbing, the foundation shouldn't be anywhere near what you would have for a house, no exterior closures (no brick, no sheathing, no windows or doors, etc...)

85Sooner
3/24/2007, 03:10 PM
I was hoping for 20-25$ psf for the roof. Don't know if I will be able to get there though.

OUAndy1807
3/24/2007, 04:32 PM
you might look at what you can do yourself and take it out of their scope. For example- laying pavers is pretty easy. You could probably save money by having them put spot footings underneath the posts for the structure and then coming back afterwards and laying some type of pavers yourself. Really all you would have to buy are some filter fabric, some sand and the pavers (and you could probably get away with just sand and pavers down there in Austin.) Or, have them wire for future fans/lights, then go buy and install the fans yourself. Or, have them leave the underside of the structure exposed and then put up the soffit material yourself.

Kind of defeats the purpose of having someone else build it, but it also cuts back on the contractor's overhead and profit and allows you to get a lot of the work done and do the easier stuff at your leisure.

bluedogok
3/24/2007, 05:14 PM
Small jobs are costing ridiculous amounts down here because of the booming construction market, my wife has had to adjust their budgets for the accessibility remodels that she does because of this. We had one office building job estimated 6 months ago (by the contractor and his subs) and costs across the board have gone up to 140% of his previous estimate and timeline had to be extended because of what has happened to the market down here. It is a very tight market because there are so many large projects going on that the subs are too busy t mess with the smaller projects anymore, so those costs spread to the smaller jobs.

sanantoniosooner
3/24/2007, 05:46 PM
Dude, if I can come up there and help you out let me know.

That sounds high to me. I'm not at a place where I could do the job, unless you waited for summer, but I might help you settle on a good contractor that will be fair. I know one out of New Braufels that might be able to save you some money. He does good work also.

85Sooner
3/24/2007, 05:50 PM
We are looking to get started in mid may. I am working on a 14 x 30 Patio/stained and scored concrete. The overhang and then an outdoor kitchen

with a XL green egg and a DCS30 Gas Grill

Then we want to oput a fireplace and fountain at the end of the patio. alot going on.