PDA

View Full Version : did the G'town player walk?

picasso
3/24/2007, 09:00 AM
I just saw the replay of the game winning shot. I need another look but I sure thought I saw him pivot to the right on his right foot, then pivot back left and take a step.
this ain't 6 on 6 girls ball. that's a walk.:)

colleyvillesooner
3/24/2007, 09:38 AM
yeah, he did.

starrca23
3/24/2007, 10:27 AM
ya, he did walk, but I am not sure they couldn't have called a foul either. Eitherway no referee is going to make that call at the end of the game.

ouflak
3/24/2007, 10:50 AM
Maybe he did walk, but I'm sure that a good thorough review of that game and any other game would reveal calls that shoulda/coulda been called or not called. Sucks for Vandy, but the fact is that I really needed Georgetown to win for my brackets to have any kind respectability at all. So goes life.

colleyvillesooner
3/24/2007, 11:41 AM
Yeah CBS did a good job of focusing on that right after the game, instead of what a great game it was. They should it over and over.

Ash
3/24/2007, 12:00 PM
yes.

next question.

OSUAggie
3/24/2007, 12:00 PM
Did Chris Webber walk?

colleyvillesooner
3/24/2007, 12:26 PM
:les: TIMEOUT!

MichiganSooner
3/24/2007, 12:28 PM
Did Chris Webber walk?

Yeah and he called timeout, too. Next question.

OSUAggie
3/24/2007, 12:38 PM
Was Brett Robisch correctly called for a moving screen against Duke in '98?

TopDawg
3/24/2007, 12:42 PM
Did Kansas get credit for a basket that came after the shot clock expired? Did one of their players grab the rim while a shot was in the air?

MichiganSooner
3/24/2007, 01:01 PM
Are the refs betting on basketball?

Scott D
3/24/2007, 01:05 PM
Does Greg Oden's Birth Certificate really say 1971?

picasso
3/24/2007, 01:33 PM
Was Brett Robisch correctly called for a moving screen against Duke in '98?
that's different than taking an extra step on a winning shot.

and yeah, Webber walked.

jkjsooner
3/24/2007, 03:06 PM
I just saw the replay of the game winning shot. I need another look but I sure thought I saw him pivot to the right on his right foot, then pivot back left and take a step.
this ain't 6 on 6 girls ball. that's a walk.:)

He may have walked but the CBS announcers were absolutely incorrect in their interpretation of the rule. They kept saying he "walked as soon as he lifted his pivot foot." This is a common rule myth. A player may lift his pivot foot but must pass or shoot before returning it to the ground.

See page 67: http://www.ncaa.org/library/rules/2005/2005_ill_basketball_rules.pdf

I only learned this a couple of years ago on a referee message board. (I am not a ref.) I am ashamed to say that I, too, was taught that you could not lift your pivot foot.

The worst thing is that CBS refused to admit that they were wrong and instead found a walk earlier in the play to bail them out. That walk was so slight that nobody could have seen it in real time. In addition, if you are going to make that call you might have to call the bumping foul too.

Anyway, I believe as fans we all have the obligation to learn the rules and fight against the rules myths that exist in just about every sport.

Here are some of my pet peeves:

1. You can't lift your pivot foot.
2. The top (or sides) of the backboard are out-of-bounds. Not true unless the ball touches a supporting structure or passes over the backboard.
3. It is not a swing unless you "break your wrist."
4. It is not an infield fly if the ball is past the dirt circle.

I believe in holding refs accountable but if we're going to do that we must at least learn the rules (or remain quiet if we don't know the rules).

Ash
3/24/2007, 03:13 PM
He may have walked but the CBS announcers were absolutely incorrect in their interpretation of the rule. They kept saying he "walked as soon as he lifted his pivot foot." This is a common rule myth. A player may lift his pivot foot but must pass or shoot before returning it to the ground.

See page 67: http://www.ncaa.org/library/rules/2005/2005_ill_basketball_rules.pdf

I only learned this a couple of years ago on a referee message board. (I am not a ref.) I am ashamed to say that I, too, was taught that you could not lift your pivot foot.

The worst thing is that CBS refused to admit that they were wrong and instead found a walk earlier in the play to bail them out. That walk was so slight that nobody could have seen it in real time. In addition, if you are going to make that call you might have to call the bumping foul too.

Anyway, I believe as fans we all have the obligation to learn the rules and fight against the rules myths that exist in just about every sport.

Here are some of my pet peeves:

1. You can't lift your pivot foot.
2. The top (or sides) of the backboard are out-of-bounds. Not true unless the ball touches a supporting structure or passes over the backboard.
3. It is not a swing unless you "break your wrist."
4. It is not an infield fly if the ball is past the dirt circle.

I believe in holding refs accountable but if we're going to do that we must at least learn the rules (or remain quiet if we don't know the rules).

The play I saw, and I was watching the game and post-game, the player indeed did travel according to your definition here. He lifted the pivot foot to make a turn, landed on said foot then elevated for the shot.

jkjsooner
3/24/2007, 03:24 PM
The play I saw, and I was watching the game and post-game, the player indeed did travel according to your definition here. He lifted the pivot foot to make a turn, landed on said foot then elevated for the shot.

But that is not what CBS was saying. He only walked because his right (pivot) foot came up about 2 inches during one of his pivots. That was very hard to see in real time.

Keep in mind, officials have to see the walk and it would have been very hard to see the pivot foot come off the ground (the first time). They can't just make a call because it looked like a walk. Plenty of legal plays can look like a walk.

Also keep in mind that there was a fumble earlier in the play as well and you can't walk if you don't have control of the ball.

That reminds me of another rule myth. "A dribble and then a fumble is a double dribble." An accidental fumble is not a dribble and this is not a double dribble.

Rabbie
3/24/2007, 05:08 PM
The pivot foot is not the foot moving it is the one that is planted. It is perfectly legal to lift your pivot foot without traveling. Think about it, everytime someone takes a jump shot after pivoting they in fact lift their pivot foot, and that is not a travel. What makes it a travel is lifting your pivot foot and then putting it down again before either passing or shooting. What Green did is something commonly done in women's games.

1). He established his right foot as his pivot foot (which is perfectly normal).
2). He reversed pivoted towards the basket with his left foot.
3). He then lifted his right foot prior to lifting his left foot while moving towards the basket.

Now if he had placed his right foot (original pivot foot) on the ground before either shooting or passing that is a travel. However, he did not do that, he shot PRIOR to placing the right foot on the ground. In school yard terms he took 1.5 steps not 2 (2 being traveling). I flipped when I saw the comentators basically because they were flat wrong saying "he traveled as soon as he lifted his pivot foot."

It should come as no surprise Gottlieb is an idiot on this board. I immediately looked up the NCAA rule to confirm my suspicon and if you read the rule it is not a travel. Here is the simplified version on Wiki:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Traveling_(basketball)

Pay special attention to the myths section at the end including the line:

Lifting the pivot foot alone does not constitute a travel; a player may pass, shoot, or call a timeout in that position. It is a travel once the foot is returned to the floor, or if a dribble is started.

TopDawg
3/24/2007, 05:18 PM
that's different than taking an extra step on a winning shot.

Did Jordan push off? (against Utah)

Ash
3/24/2007, 09:06 PM
The pivot foot is not the foot moving it is the one that is planted. It is perfectly legal to lift your pivot foot without traveling. Think about it, everytime someone takes a jump shot after pivoting they in fact lift their pivot foot, and that is not a travel. What makes it a travel is lifting your pivot foot and then putting it down again before either passing or shooting. What Green did is something commonly done in women's games.

1). He established his right foot as his pivot foot (which is perfectly normal).
2). He reversed pivoted towards the basket with his left foot.
3). He then lifted his right foot prior to lifting his left foot while moving towards the basket.

Now if he had placed his right foot (original pivot foot) on the ground before either shooting or passing that is a travel. However, he did not do that, he shot PRIOR to placing the right foot on the ground. In school yard terms he took 1.5 steps not 2 (2 being traveling). I flipped when I saw the comentators basically because they were flat wrong saying "he traveled as soon as he lifted his pivot foot."

It should come as no surprise Gottlieb is an idiot on this board. I immediately looked up the NCAA rule to confirm my suspicon and if you read the rule it is not a travel. Here is the simplified version on Wiki:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Traveling_(basketball)

Pay special attention to the myths section at the end including the line:

Yeah except for rule 4-66 which says that a player who falls while holding the ball is guilty of traveling "because the pivot foot has been moved."

teh rulz book (http://www.ncaa.org/library/rules/2005/2005_ill_basketball_rules.pdf)

Rabbie
3/25/2007, 12:23 PM
Ya that rule wording is a little strange in regards to moving the pivot foot. I would have to intrepret that as specific to falling however. Because like I stated previously you could never take a jump shot otherwise without traveling after pivoting because every time you jump you "lift your pivot foot."

TopDawg
3/25/2007, 12:28 PM
Complicating matters is the fact that you can travel without lifting your pivot foot. Dragging it is a violation too, right?

TopDawg
3/25/2007, 12:33 PM

You're exactly right. What they originally said was a walk, was not a walk. So then they went back and focused on that super-slow-mo, super-zoomed-in angle that shows his right foot coming about an inch off the court for about one-tenth of a second.

I think CBS is on to something, though. I believe we should have an official time out after every basket to analyze whether there was any miniscule rules violation that the human eye cannot detect in real time.

jkjsooner
3/25/2007, 12:36 PM
Complicating matters is the fact that you can travel without lifting your pivot foot. Dragging it is a violation too, right?

That is true. Although the wierd thing is they allow you to swivel (rotate) on your pivot foot. I'm not sure if that's technically allowed but as long as the entire foot doesn't drag they won't call it.

I grew up learning that a layup is legal because it's a "fluid motion" and you have two steps on a fluid motion. That is entirely incorrect. The fluid motion means nothing. I can pivot 10 times, lift my pivot foot, and stand stationary on the other foot for 10 seconds and it will not be a walk.

TopDawg
3/25/2007, 12:38 PM
That is true. Although the wierd thing is they allow you to swivel (rotate) on your pivot foot. I'm not sure if that's technically allowed but as long as the entire foot doesn't drag they won't call it.

I grew up learning that a layup is legal because it's a "fluid motion" and you have two steps on a fluid motion. That is entirely incorrect. The fluid motion means nothing. I can pivot 10 times, lift my pivot foot, and stand stationary on the other foot for 10 seconds and it will not be a walk.

Just 5-seconds closely guarded. ;)