PDA

View Full Version : Google maps

Phil
3/23/2007, 11:25 PM
OK, so I was goofing around on my new Google Maps Mobile on my phone, looking at satellite pics of college and pro stadia to see if they ever happened to do a photo pass with the satellite during a game. I am looking at Seattle, and I zoom in on the Seahawks' stadium and, lo and behold, there's a game going on.

So, I get on the computer for a little higher resolution, and I see it's a college game, because there's a Washington State logo in the middle of the field. You can even see the players lined up in formation near the north end zone.

So, I figure, they did at least a West Coast pass that day, and I look at some other stadia to see if there were games there. Eugene, OR - you can see the people lined up for the players to run through at the beginning of the game. Berkeley, CA - crappy crowd, but they are playing, too. I checked some schedules, and it looks like these pics were taken on 9/17/05.

I checked the Rose Bowl, but that pic was taken some other time, because the field is painted up for a USC-Michigan Rose Bowl game. Not this year's, though, because the field has the old BCS logos. Had to be the '04 game.

Anyway, sort of interesting.

ouflak
3/24/2007, 07:26 AM
You know that Google allows 3-D models now. If somebody is interested, maybe they could whip up a model of the stadium. Would be pretty cool if somebody might even go through and get the major buildings on campus as well.

Rogue
3/24/2007, 07:46 AM
Stadia? Really?

colleyvillesooner
3/24/2007, 09:48 AM
Yeah, I noticed that about Seattle too.

sooner_born_1960
3/24/2007, 10:15 AM
sta·di·um /ˈsteɪdiəm/ - Pronunciation[stey-dee-uhm]
–noun, plural -di·ums, -di·a

I didn't knew that.

Frozen Sooner
3/24/2007, 10:24 AM
OK, so I was goofing around on my new Google Maps Mobile on my phone, looking at satellite pics of college and pro stadia to see if they ever happened to do a photo pass with the satellite during a game. I am looking at Seattle, and I zoom in on the Seahawks' stadium and, lo and behold, there's a game going on.

So, I get on the computer for a little higher resolution, and I see it's a college game, because there's a Washington State logo in the middle of the field. You can even see the players lined up in formation near the north end zone.

So, I figure, they did at least a West Coast pass that day, and I look at some other stadia to see if there were games there. Eugene, OR - you can see the people lined up for the players to run through at the beginning of the game. Berkeley, CA - crappy crowd, but they are playing, too. I checked some schedules, and it looks like these pics were taken on 9/17/05.

I checked the Rose Bowl, but that pic was taken some other time, because the field is painted up for a USC-Michigan Rose Bowl game. Not this year's, though, because the field has the old BCS logos. Had to be the '04 game.

That's kind of odd. Wazzu doesn't play at Seahawk Stadium all that often, I didn't think. Pullman is a long way from Seattle.

colleyvillesooner
3/24/2007, 10:38 AM
they played Grambling state:

http://www.fanblogs.com/washington_state/004983.php

weird.

colleyvillesooner
3/24/2007, 10:39 AM

Did you get the add on that has every college stadium by conference?

http://bbs.keyhole.com/ubb/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/14908/page/0/fpart/2/vc/1

Sooner24
3/24/2007, 02:42 PM
That's kind of odd. Wazzu doesn't play at Seahawk Stadium all that often, I didn't think. Pullman is a long way from Seattle.

When we flew back from the Oregon game last year I talked to a Baylor alum, seated across from me on the plane, that had been to the BU/WSU game that weekend in Seattle.

Phil
3/24/2007, 09:12 PM
When we flew back from the Oregon game last year I talked to a Baylor alum, seated across from me on the plane, that had been to the BU/WSU game that weekend in Seattle.

Yeah, we ran into a Baylor guy at Multnomah Falls outside of Portland a couple of days before the game. He was headed up for that game as well. I think Wazzu played Colorado there recently, as well.

Boomer_Sooner_sax
3/25/2007, 10:56 AM
Don't they play the Apple Cup there too? I may be wrong on that one.

Frozen Sooner
3/25/2007, 01:28 PM
Don't they play the Apple Cup there too? I may be wrong on that one.

Nope. Apple Cup is played home-and-home.

And I'm speaking from personal experience having frozen my *** off on the upper deck of Husky Stadium in November with the wind coming off Lake Washington. That game was miserable. The fact that the teams combined for 12 or 13 turnovers didn't help.