PDA

View Full Version : Something to keep in mind

Rhino
3/23/2007, 11:20 PM
I haven't seen any of this on this board and I hope to not see it here.

I saw a couple of comments on another board earlier today that really irked me. They concerned the recruitment of Oklahoma high school juniors and why in the world they wouldn't automatically pull the trigger to come to OU when we offered them.

*sigh*

If they want to commit to someone early, great. I hope they commit realizing how important that decision is to their future. But I'd prefer some of them wait until the spring period is over and camps start so they can see everyone and make a sound decision, rather than possibly regretting their decision later.

Please, please, please remember these kids haven't even finished their junior year of high school yet. Give them a break.

birddog
3/24/2007, 12:41 AM
i think it's retawded to put too much stock into jr. commitments. looks like we could have the best class of all time from all the early verbals we've gotten. sure it's better than them telling our coaches to get the hell out of their house, but to much can change in that time.

and you better believe those other coaches will continue to go after them and say whatever is needed to try to make them second-guess their decision.

The Consumate Showman
3/24/2007, 12:48 AM
I haven't seen any of this on this board and I hope to not see it here.

I saw a couple of comments on another board earlier today that really irked me. They concerned the recruitment of Oklahoma high school juniors and why in the world they wouldn't automatically pull the trigger to come to OU when we offered them.

*sigh*

If they want to commit to someone early, great. I hope they commit realizing how important that decision is to their future. But I'd prefer some of them wait until the spring period is over and camps start so they can see everyone and make a sound decision, rather than possibly regretting their decision later.

Please, please, please remember these kids haven't even finished their junior year of high school yet. Give them a break.

Something else to keep in mind is that OU fans base these wanings on the fact that Saxet grabs up whoever, whenever (usually) in the state of Texxxas. There is a big problem there. A lot of kids start getting recruited by UT far before their junior years and there is the coach element, too.

Remember that one of the first things Muck did when VY won the MNC, he sat down when he got home and called, wrote, emailed, faxed, whatever...all the Texas high school head football coaches (at least most of them) and thanked them for their good work and expressed his admiration for them.

Now, OU is catching up in this game as can be seen by the early recruiting of several of our '08 players and hopefully (I don't know for sure) Bob is extending that same kind of curteousy to our Oklahoma HS coaches, which he probably does anyway, just pointing out the former as a bigger factor really.

Also, look at the areas we are talking about. Oklahoma has 77 counties. Texas has how many? (Some of you Texas guys help me out here). But obviously the rule of averages should be applied here to realize that with a state about three times the size of Oklahoma, there is bound to be a better crop of players year in and year out, thus resulting in the "want" of OU's football staff of some kids that might be a little better than some Oklahoma athletes. We still get our fair share of kids and there will always be the blue coats a la Meachum, Pickryl, Jones, etc... UT has them too...ask them about AD, Tommie, Perrilloux, etc... This is a two-way street of delirium and I am tired and have to get up in the morning....GOOOD NIGHT!

goingoneight
3/24/2007, 07:28 PM
All I can say is, I really hope we can hold onto the gooderns with coaches like :mack: and :les: out there doggin' us for the Rhomario scandal.

chbrew09
3/25/2007, 12:47 PM
Texas-254 counties...7th grade Texas history baby

How do I remember that?

snp
3/25/2007, 02:34 PM
Also, look at the areas we are talking about. Oklahoma has 77 counties. Texas has how many? (Some of you Texas guys help me out here). But obviously the rule of averages should be applied here to realize that with a state about three times the size of Oklahoma, there is bound to be a better crop of players year in and year out...

Try about 7 times the size of Oklahoma.

And if someone doesn't understand the recruiting advantages Texas has, they probably shouldn't be in the recruiting forum.

stoopified
3/28/2007, 05:36 PM
Switzer said someting once about OKLAHOMA having 300 schools that played football and Texas having 3000,I think it was.In any case they have 150 or so blue-chppers EVERY year and Oklahoma has 10-15.

47straight
3/28/2007, 09:39 PM
The only thing worse than stressing over what a 17-18 year old kid is going to do is stressing over what a 16-17 year old kid is going to do. I'll take all the junior commits we get that are quality and stick with it, but I'd wouldn't want my own boy making that decision that early.

Unless he stank at sports like me and just happened to luck into an offer!

Herr Scholz
3/29/2007, 03:42 PM
Remember that one of the first things Muck did when VY won the MNC, he sat down when he got home and called, wrote, emailed, faxed, whatever...all the Texas high school head football coaches (at least most of them) and thanked them for their good work and expressed his admiration for them.
That's one of the very 1st things Mack did when he got to UT. He engratiated himself to all the high school coaches in the state (his Dad was a high school coach). The Texas high school coaches weren't treated very well by John Mackovic.

Herr Scholz
3/29/2007, 03:47 PM
All I can say is, I really hope we can hold onto the gooderns with coaches like :mack: and :les: out there doggin' us for the Rhomario scandal.
Link?

colleyvillesooner
3/29/2007, 04:42 PM
Link?

Smartass. You know it happens "unoffcially"

Scott D
3/29/2007, 06:53 PM
Try about 7 times the size of Oklahoma.

And if someone doesn't understand the recruiting advantages Texas has, they probably shouldn't be in the recruiting forum.

eh to be fair, I don't even bother counting how many counties Michigan has and I've lived here for 12 years.

the_ouskull
3/29/2007, 10:19 PM
Houston is the size of Oklahoma, dude.

I don't like the idea of offering juniors 'cause I know how a lot of H.S. kids are. As soon as OU offers / signs them, they're "The Man," and feel like they don't have to work anymore, etc... I'm not saying that anybody in particular is or has been this way...

...I'm just saying that I could SEE it.

That's why I'll always take a team with a good level of talent, and a LOT of heart, dedication, etc, etc, etc... over a team with an amazing level of talent who has always been told so. I think that Stoops should get back to having those kinds of players around too. The guys that won the 2000 championship appreciated it so much because, when Stoops got here, they believed in him. They were considered nobodies... at Oklahoma... and they hated it.

That wasn't a team with a great deal of highly recruited talent.

I think a lot more of kids who aren't recruited and come in here and dominated (D. Strait, Q) than guys who come in with sound and fury, signifying the fabulous mile of cars in Norman. ...guys who get here, realize how much "work" it is, and then bail to someplace that'll treat 'em more like High School did; baby 'em. (Yeah, I'm talking to you Mr. Lineman That Left... all five f*cking hundred of you...)

But it could be all the crack I'm on...

the_ouskull

Widescreen
3/29/2007, 11:13 PM
That's why I'll always take a team with a good level of talent, and a LOT of heart, dedication, etc, etc, etc... over a team with an amazing level of talent who has always been told so.
I understand what you're saying, but it doesn't seem to hurt USC. Somehow Carroll seems to be able to take all these primadonna's and get them to beat the crap out of people.

Rhino
3/30/2007, 11:17 AM
The 2000 team was special. And we will never see it again. Ever. And that's no one's fault - that's just the way it is.

I think a lot more of kids who aren't recruited and come in here and dominated (D. Strait, Q) than guys who come in with sound and fury, signifying the fabulous mile of cars in Norman. ...guys who get here, realize how much "work" it is, and then bail to someplace that'll treat 'em more like High School did For every Rhett Bomar or Tony Cade, I can show you a Tommie Harris or Rufus Alexander.
For every Cory Heinecke or Teddy Lehman, I can show you a Steve Taylor or Antonn Reid.

I understand what you're saying, but it doesn't seem to hurt USC. Somehow Carroll seems to be able to take all these primadonna's and get them to beat the crap out of people. Yup. You can pine for the abused and under-recruited all you want, but (regardless of how highly they were recruited) it all comes down to the recruiter's ability to judge character and coaches' ability to motivate.

colleyvillesooner
3/30/2007, 11:20 AM
I understand what you're saying, but it doesn't seem to hurt USC. Somehow Carroll seems to be able to take all these primadonna's and get them to beat the crap out of people.

Being in southern California by the beach probably helps. :D

goingoneight
3/31/2007, 12:11 AM
Link?

Hey, if I met a high profile UT recruit tomorrow, I'd tell 'em about the Mary Jane scandals and armed robberies and stuff. That might steer them in the direction to WANT to go somewhere they can get away with it, but anything "unofficial" is always worth a shot. Even the best have done this. How do you think we got Ryan Broyles away from aggy on signing day. Someone went up to that indecisive little guy and said...

"well, I don't know about your luck in winning championships there..."

Classless? Maybe. Everyone does it though... I remember when Kejuan was being recruited and my friends at Jenks were all talking about OSU fans telling him "stories" to try and sway him another way. While Kejuan was no Heisman winnar or anything, he ended up being one of the more passionate Sooners I ever saw.

goingoneight
3/31/2007, 12:13 AM
Being in southern California by the beach probably helps. :D

I'd take a $750,000 home if it was offered. :D

Seamus
3/31/2007, 11:30 AM
A $750,000 home in SoCal ain't what a $750,000 home in Oklahoma is, guaranteed. Still a nice house, though.

soonerdave79
3/31/2007, 01:05 PM
Here's what $750,000 gets a recruit, er a home buyer in LA:
http://www.homes.com/Content/ListingDetail.cfm?City=LOS%20ANGELES&State=CA&Radius=0&FirstRec=19&OrderBy=price%3AD&Bedrooms=0&FullBaths=0&MinPrice=740000&MaxPrice=760000&PriceRange=&AmenitiesList=&PropType=%20&TotalRecs=35&PropIdList=3_49806902,3_48791150,3_48802429,3_4904 8888,3_49607632,3_48134331&PropId=49048888&NHC=1&searchorig=main

And this web site didn't have a 750k home in OKC, so I searched Tulsa:
http://www.homes.com/Content/ListingDetail.cfm?City=TULSA&State=OK&Radius=0&FirstRec=1&OrderBy=price%3AD&Bedrooms=0&FullBaths=0&MinPrice=740000&MaxPrice=760000&PriceRange=&AmenitiesList=&PropType=%20&TotalRecs=2&PropIdList=3_47833947,3_50089315&PropId=50089315&NHC=1&searchorig=main

Widescreen
3/31/2007, 01:21 PM
0.14 acres is a "huge lot"? Where do I sign up?

soonerdave79
3/31/2007, 02:09 PM
If you buy it widescreen, you might want to consider purchasing a riding lawn mower.

insuranceman_22
4/2/2007, 10:20 PM
Here's what $750,000 gets a recruit, er a home buyer in LA:
http://www.homes.com/Content/ListingDetail.cfm?City=LOS%20ANGELES&State=CA&Radius=0&FirstRec=19&OrderBy=price%3AD&Bedrooms=0&FullBaths=0&MinPrice=740000&MaxPrice=760000&PriceRange=&AmenitiesList=&PropType=%20&TotalRecs=35&PropIdList=3_49806902,3_48791150,3_48802429,3_4904 8888,3_49607632,3_48134331&PropId=49048888&NHC=1&searchorig=main

And this web site didn't have a 750k home in OKC, so I searched Tulsa:
http://www.homes.com/Content/ListingDetail.cfm?City=TULSA&State=OK&Radius=0&FirstRec=1&OrderBy=price%3AD&Bedrooms=0&FullBaths=0&MinPrice=740000&MaxPrice=760000&PriceRange=&AmenitiesList=&PropType=%20&TotalRecs=2&PropIdList=3_47833947,3_50089315&PropId=50089315&NHC=1&searchorig=main

Damn dude, that was good!