PDA

View Full Version : A&M vs. Memphis....

outuba
3/22/2007, 09:06 PM
Wow, what a game!!

1.1 seconds seems like quite a bit to be taking off but out of bounds is when it hits something out of bounds, although the whistle was blown. (Which takes precedence? whistle or hitting something?)

Acie Law ended his career not like he wanted too. He pulled a Tony Romo (hero to goat in the snap of a finger).

Referees were terrible both ways especially for a game of this size/magnitude.

bri
3/22/2007, 09:14 PM
I agree that 1.1 was a bit much to run off, but the announcers were assuming that it went deflection-hitting the line, when the replays showed that the ball landed inbounds, therefore the clock keeps running until it hits some goof behind the scorer's table.

Eielson
3/23/2007, 12:28 AM
I agree that 1.1 was a bit much to run off, but the announcers were assuming that it went deflection-hitting the line, when the replays showed that the ball landed inbounds, therefore the clock keeps running until it hits some goof behind the scorer's table.

I'm pretty sure that the whistle blew right away though. I would think that the game would stop no matter what when the whistle blows, no questions asked.

Herr Scholz
3/23/2007, 01:22 AM
Wow, what a game!!
He pulled a Tony Romo (hero to goat in the snap of a finger).

You could've made that layup. "That's what I do!"

fwsooner22
3/23/2007, 09:48 AM
You could've made that layup. "That's what I do!"

This is one of those moments where no matter what happened......They were playing and we weren't and that still pi$$e$ me off.

Acie Law can play for us anytime. Dude is the real deal. :pop: :pop: :pop:

Heck of a game but too many refs got noticed which means they were doing a poor job.

colleyvillesooner
3/23/2007, 09:58 AM
I thought the 1.1 was fair, IF the rule isn't the whistle blow. That's about right for it to bounce that high and hit the table.

Sucks for Law to go out like that.

Paperclip
3/23/2007, 10:06 AM
As someone who has Memphis in the Final Four in my bracket, I was pleased with the outcome.

OklahomaRed
3/23/2007, 03:00 PM
Get a frickin' deffensive rebout A&M. How many attempts did they give Memphis on their last posession. Heck, if A&M could have gotten one of those rebounds it would have been over. You can't lay it all at Acie's missed layup.

NormanPride
3/23/2007, 05:09 PM
How do you call that foul with 3.7 left?

colleyvillesooner
3/23/2007, 05:18 PM

I would normally agree, but he hit both the guys arms, and chest. He did too much right in front of the ref to not get called.

TopDawg
3/23/2007, 05:59 PM

I'm with cvs. Normally the swallow-your-whistle "rule" late in the game pertains to when the ball-handler is the aggressor and the defender is holding his ground for the most part. What you might call a foul earlier in the game, you usually don't call a foul in late-game situations when the above scenario is played out.

However, in this situation, the shooter had position, if you will, and the defender was the aggressor. The Memphis dude had the ball, was going straight up and the A&M defender reached out and hit his arms. Just because it was close to the goal doesn't mean it shouldn't be called.

bri
3/23/2007, 08:21 PM
Yeah, I've always thought that the "swallow the whistle late" axiom is a load of sh*t. I get so tired of seeing mad scrambles late in a game where defenders are almost punching offensive players to keep them from scoring because they know the refs wouldn't dare call it just because it's the final seconds. Last time I checked, the rules of basketball apply to the ENTIRE game, not just the first 39 minutes of it...