PDA

View Full Version : Tubby Smith

SoonerAcesUp
3/22/2007, 03:38 PM
Does Tubby Smith leaving Kentucky for Minnesota give us the upper-hand on Jai Lucas?

And does Kentucky go after Gillespie now?

Collier11
3/22/2007, 04:06 PM
I think Gillespie would be crazy to not take that job. He can recruit, he can coach, and he would have amazing support. Just look at what he did at sh*t holes such as utep and a&m

TopDawg
3/22/2007, 04:09 PM
Does Tubby Smith leaving Kentucky for Minnesota give us the upper-hand on Jai Lucas?

I hope so.

And does Kentucky go after Gillespie now?

I hope so.

Taxman71
3/22/2007, 04:09 PM
1. I hope so. Sounds like Tubby is now in get-fat-no-stress-retirement mode.
2. I hope so. Both parties would be stupid for not doing so. It's a top 5 job, and he is a top 5 coach (excluding coaches at the other top 5 schools). I don't see them entertaining Caliparie or Pitino (again), and I don't see Donavon/Self/Barnes leaving their schools.

How about Scott Sutton:D No family history there.

Taxman71
3/22/2007, 04:10 PM
That's a goocher. I guess it is unanimous.

william_brasky
3/22/2007, 04:12 PM
I think it helps us a bit with Jai. It depends on who they hire.

I don't think Gillespie would take that job. He's a small town Texas boy, and the A&M program is his program. Whatever success he has at A&M is truly appreciated. At Kentucky, if don't get to the Sweet 16, people want you fired.

I think he'd be crazy to take the Kentucky job, unless the money is just frickin' ridiculous.

Frozen Sooner
3/22/2007, 04:18 PM
I think Kentucky just spent an unhappy several years with a tough defensive-minded coach who didn't light up the scoreboard. They hated him.

colleyvillesooner
3/22/2007, 04:21 PM
I think Kentucky just spent an unhappy several years with a tough defensive-minded coach who didn't light up the scoreboard. They hated him.

That sounds familiar....

LittleWingSooner
3/22/2007, 04:22 PM
And now they'll probably end up not being as good.

OSUAggie
3/22/2007, 04:32 PM
You have to think Jai was waiting to see what would happen with Kentucky regarding Patterson/Tubby, which would lead one to believe that UK is probably out of it, so that can do nothing but help the schools in on Jai not named Kentucky (unless UK hits a homerun with their new coach... and quickly).

bri
3/22/2007, 04:33 PM
Man, nothing says "I don't like pressure" quite like leaving Kentucky to coach at Minnesota. ;)

And I remember when Tubby was first getting his start at Tulsa; his teams were considered uptempo teams that pressed and shot the 3. I guess when you can't shoot the 3, that just leaves defense...:D

jk the sooner fan
3/22/2007, 04:43 PM
the aggies better be saying their prayers, because i'm thinking UK will come after Gillespie pretty hard......and for an up and comer like him, thats a hard job to turn down

OSUAggie
3/22/2007, 04:44 PM
The only question is will he crawl there.

King Crimson
3/22/2007, 04:45 PM
the aggies better be saying their prayers, because i'm thinking UK will come after Gillespie pretty hard......and for an up and comer like him, thats a hard job to turn down

that's what i think.

now, ATM has money out the wazoo and will have the Billy g.=Aggie basketball success desperation.

jk the sooner fan
3/22/2007, 04:49 PM
will be interesting to see how quickly the rumor mill fires up if a&m loses tonite

colleyvillesooner
3/22/2007, 04:55 PM
will be interesting to see how quickly the rumor mill fires up if a&m loses tonite

Dude, texags already has posts about "not needing this distraction" :D

jk the sooner fan
3/22/2007, 05:06 PM
this is sorta like Mike Stoops leaving for Zona before the big bowl game huh? :)

lexsooner
3/22/2007, 05:49 PM
The word here in Lexington, KY, is Tubby was in a power struggle with AD Barnhart, and when Barnhart insisted on taking control of the basketball program, Tubby decided to look elsewhere. The fact UK fans are largely a bunch of spoiled, impossible to please, hypercritical, really never wanted Tubby, whiners, made the decision rather easy.

Tubby is a fine coach and an even better person. He sure did not play a very exciting style of ball, but he did win almost 80% of his games in his UK career with annually one of the toughest schedules in college hoops. He has one national title and many SEC titles, but there is no pleasing UK fans. And yes, having known many UK fans, there has truly always been an undercurrent of uneasiness or even blatant intolerance with Tubby's race.

UK fans will want Billy Donovan, but Billy would be crazy to come here and put up with this kind of scrutiny and pressure.

royalfan5
3/22/2007, 06:06 PM
You have to want the money pretty bad to deal with those crazy ***holes in Lexington. ATM has got the scratch, and have a slightly less crazy group of ***holes for basketball fans. Kentucky's basketball search may resemble Nebraska's football search.

yermom
3/22/2007, 06:25 PM
they do have Ashley Judd though

rebmus
3/22/2007, 06:27 PM
UK fans will want Billy Donovan, but Billy would be crazy to come here and put up with this kind of scrutiny and pressure.
that's my first thought on it also... UK will have billy the kid at the top of the list. i don't think billy D will take it... i think he's a dang fool if he does.

poke4christ
3/22/2007, 09:23 PM
A&M's out of the tourney and UK is out of a coach. I see this going down in less then a week. Oh, and If the G-man is in UK, how much do you think it will affect Jai. I'd rather play under him then Tubby any day.

THE Roy Williams
3/22/2007, 09:35 PM
A&M's out of the tourney and UK is out of a coach. I see this going down in less then a week. Oh, and If the G-man is in UK, how much do you think it will affect Jai. I'd rather play under him then Tubby any day.

I think your right.

LittleWingSooner
3/22/2007, 10:02 PM
Kentucky will get an offensive minded coach. They don't want to replace a defensive minded coach with another defensive minded coach. Don't be shocked if they go for Bruce Pearl.

LRoss
3/22/2007, 10:35 PM
I'm in Louisville, and I would have left just like Tubby did. The word is that it was either go or all your assistant coaches get fired, which is either a backhanded way of saying "we'd really like you to go now" or "we'd like you to coach our boys, but we have your testicles." UK fans ARE impossible to please, and didn't like Tubby from day one (just as lexsooner said), and part of it IS race (sad to say, but true for some people). It was a no-win situation for him, and I'm happy that the fans will have nothing to complain about for a week or so!

SteelClip49
3/23/2007, 04:15 AM
Scott Sutton to Kentucky

Rogue
3/23/2007, 05:07 AM
I'm glad to see so many people agree with me that UK fans are impossible. They complain about "ugly wins," "petty ****," and pretty much everything else. They are also fickle; love the coach one day and hate him the next.

I think this was UK's way of allowing Tubby to save face and leave on his own rather than get fired. All of the contract language and $$ is cleaner this way too.

I liked UK under Pitino, but now I'd like to see them suffer for awhile.
Oh, and there's no way Bruce Pearl goes to Lexington this year. He has it made in Knoxville where he can exceed the men's bball expectations and tradition every year.

Frozen Sooner
3/23/2007, 11:29 AM
Scott Sutton to Kentucky

I don't think putting a Sutton back in control of the UK basketball program would make the NCAA very happy.

bri
3/23/2007, 11:32 AM
I'm pretty sure Scott's the only one who'd be welcomed back in Kentucky after the 1-2 screwjob Eddie and Sean put on the Wildcats...

sooner518
3/23/2007, 11:36 AM
espn is talking Mark Few and Tom Creen for this job. Not sure why they didnt mention either Billy

Taxman71
3/23/2007, 01:00 PM
I'm glad to see so many people agree with me that UK fans are impossible. They complain about "ugly wins," "petty ****," and pretty much everything else. They are also fickle; love the coach one day and hate him the next.

I think this was UK's way of allowing Tubby to save face and leave on his own rather than get fired. All of the contract language and $$ is cleaner this way too.

I liked UK under Pitino, but now I'd like to see them suffer for awhile.
Oh, and there's no way Bruce Pearl goes to Lexington this year. He has it made in Knoxville where he can exceed the men's bball expectations and tradition every year.

That mentality fits in well considering that state is all about bourbon, tobacco and horseracing. Very short-term memory.

MichiganSooner
3/23/2007, 08:34 PM
I've always paid attention to Kentucky as several family members are from there but am upset with the lack of appreciation for Tubby, one of the finest coaches anywhere. He won 76% of his games there and something like 5 SEC titles in 10 years. (What did the other 11 teams of the league do?) One national title, 2 or so Elite 8's and no appreciation. I'd like to see them fall flat on their...

I hope it doesn't come to this at OU with Coach Stoops having a down year sometime and everyone getting on him until he quits. Tubby quitting and going onto Minnesota would be like Stoops getting mad, quitting and going to Baylor. And Coach Stoops would turn Baylor around in a heart-beat.

Rogue
3/23/2007, 09:12 PM
Tubby didn't exactly "quit." They made him an offer he couldn't refuse.

LittleWingSooner
3/23/2007, 09:49 PM
He was getting 2.5 mil at Kentucky.

Scott D
3/23/2007, 10:31 PM
I think it helps us a bit with Jai. It depends on who they hire.

I don't think Gillespie would take that job. He's a small town Texas boy, and the A&M program is his program. Whatever success he has at A&M is truly appreciated. At Kentucky, if don't get to the Final Four at least every 2-3 years, people want you fired.

I think he'd be crazy to take the Kentucky job, unless the money is just frickin' ridiculous.

fixed in bold.

THE Roy Williams
3/24/2007, 02:44 PM
All I know is the Big Ten just got much tougher. Who is Michigan going to pick up?

Scott D
3/24/2007, 05:43 PM
supposedly Lon Krueger is high on Michigan's list....the Oregon coach has supposedly publicly lobbied for it also.