PDA

View Full Version : My daughters bought me a music amplifier

MamaMia
3/22/2007, 01:26 PM
My daughters bought me a music amplifier for my Exterra last year. They gave me a gift certificate for some woofers but I don't know a thing about woofers. Is there anything about car woofers you all can tell me before I go over to the downtown music place?

TopDaugIn2000
3/22/2007, 01:27 PM
MamaMia's gonna get a system. heh

TopDaugIn2000
3/22/2007, 01:34 PM
I'm sorry, I can't be any help. My brother is the expert on this.

Newbomb Turk
3/22/2007, 01:36 PM
sounds to me like your daughters want to drive your Exterra.

apusooner
3/22/2007, 01:39 PM
is it that you don't know what a woofer is or you don't know what brand/size etc to get?

King Crimson
3/22/2007, 01:40 PM
the db's had a great song called "amplifier".

spek to anyone who knows the db's.

Newbomb Turk
3/22/2007, 01:41 PM

I know what a dB is. Does that count?

King Crimson
3/22/2007, 01:45 PM
naw, shouldn't you be watching Price is Right?:texan:

Newbomb Turk
3/22/2007, 01:51 PM
naw, shouldn't you be watching Price is Right?:texan:

The kid on the showcase showdown guessed within a couple hundered bucks - it was so exciting. ;)

Getting ready for the night shift - part deux.

MamaMia
3/22/2007, 01:51 PM
is it that you don't know what a woofer is or you don't know what brand/size etc to get?I don't know what a woofer is or what brand to get. The girls didn't like the stereo that came with my Nissan, especially on the road trips to football games and family get togethers. The amplifier and new speakers helped, but you cant turn the bass on very high.

If it would help I could run outside and see what kind of amplifier the guy at the shop put in. Would that help?

TopDaugIn2000
3/22/2007, 02:09 PM
they sound a little high maintenance......

King Crimson
3/22/2007, 02:11 PM
Getting ready for the night shift - part deux.

that sux. if you make you feel any better, i start a new job on Monday after about a month of just flat *** hanging out...and i'm going to be grinding it out until August 10. no respite in sight.

misery loves company, they say.

apusooner
3/22/2007, 02:14 PM
you ever hear cars drive down the road with bass so loud it rattles your brain? yeah, those are woofers. they don't have to be that loud, they can actually be a nice addition to your stereo. just don't go too big. 10" woofers would be plenty I'm sure. I don't know brands anymore, as I haven't payed attention since i was 18. i used to have rockford fosgate subs, they were awesome, but that was in '96. other reputable companies are JL Audio, Xtant, MTX, Cerwin Vega. those are top o the line subs though. well at least they were when i was into them. these days brand probably doesnt make too much difference. others on here might know more about current brands that are good

Oldnslo
3/22/2007, 02:14 PM
Woofers handle bass frequencies. You use something called a crossover so that only certain information from the amp goes to the woofer. It allows the other speakers (midrange and tweeter) to focus on what they do best instead of trying to move a great deal of air.

JL makes several lines of popular woofers that are well thought of, but there are many companies.

Newbomb Turk
3/22/2007, 02:20 PM
that sux. if you make you feel any better, i start a new job on Monday after about a month of just flat *** hanging out...and i'm going to be grinding it out until August 10. no respite in sight.

misery loves company, they say.

no - it doesn't make me feel any better.:D

Good luck on the new job - hope you like it.

Osce0la
3/22/2007, 02:44 PM
I would suggest getting 10s as well unless you want to be that person whose car rattles as they are driving down the road :D

springs sooner
3/22/2007, 03:00 PM
it kind of depends on what you like to listen to. if you are into rap/r&b stuff then yes some 10's would do the job. I am more of a rock & roll person so i have 8's in my truck. 8's will give you more punch with some low end as 10's will give you more low end and a little less punch. I have polk audio woofers but they are pretty expensive but well worth every penny. woofers are based off what ohms they can handle. 8 ohms are the standard and will cover a wide variety of music.

as oldnslo said a crossover will redirect the low end frequency to the woofers and the high end to mid and tweeters.

how many watts is your amp? how many output channels does it have?

apusooner
3/22/2007, 03:06 PM
be sure to ask/check for a crossover. if the amp is sending anything other than the bass frequencies through the sub, it could damage the speaker. most amps built these days have one in them already, you just have to be sure to turn it on. if it is powering the door speakers in your car as well, then you may need to get a crossover added, unless it has a crossover dedicated to a sub channel.
having too much power could do this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fO79hmdVO7Q
i doubt that is what you are looking for.
i have two fosgate punch 12's in my grand prix, but they aren't hooked up any more because they got old and blew out. i need new ones as well.
i stopped turning them up as much as i got older and wiser, but they do make a great addition to your stereo. i feel it can help you get that "live" concert feel/sound if done right.

apusooner
3/22/2007, 03:12 PM
i never liked 8's because they didn't give me enough low end. 10's will punch hard enough and give you a good ring. 12's can punch, but you have to set the crossover to higher bass frequencies, thus losing the low end. they can also be too woofy. i think 10's are a good medium. if you have a video ipod, try watching a movie in your car with subs, it's pretty sweet. not true surround, but it sounds cool.

all that being said, i think tens are a good medium for all types of music, but thats just my opinion, it's whatever the listener likes. when you go to the store, see if they will model some for you

MamaMia
3/22/2007, 08:56 PM
Thanks to all for sharing your knowledge on this subject. This will come in handy when I make my trip downtown in the morning.

Newbomb Turk
3/22/2007, 09:23 PM
anytime - glad to help. :D

Mixer!
3/23/2007, 03:29 PM

All I could find (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ohn5_Abqd7Q) (in between those d:mad:mn dragonball uploads ).

Frozen Sooner
3/23/2007, 04:11 PM
Any speaker larger than 8" in a car is bigtime overkill. I hit 118 dB with a near perfect frequency response score with no speaker larger than 8" almost ten years ago, and I imagine speaker technology has improved somewhat since then.

Also-

Oldnslo mentioned JL Audio. These are VERY nice speakers, but may be more expensive than you really need them to be. If all you're looking to do is punch up your bass response in the car a bit...well, the JL Pros are audiophile-quality speakers. They're spendy. They sound really nice, but I don't know if there's going to be an audible difference in this application.