PDA

View Full Version : Home 'lectricity knowledge possessors

TopDaugIn2000
3/22/2007, 09:08 AM
So I woke up this morning to no 'lectric in the house. As I stumbled around in the dark trying to somewhat get ready for work, I passed by the office and noticed the computer was still on. creepy. I soon found out that the power was on in the two spare bedrooms, but NO WHERE else in the whole house. I flipped every breaker, nothing changed. I finally just gave up and came into work. I called OEC, they said they'd check the outside lines. Other than that, what could it be?!?!?!?!

Cox came over yesterday and hooked up my cable/internet/phone. The d00d crawled around in the attic for about an hour, could he have done something by mistake? Everything was fine when I went to bed, just went off sometime during the night.

Hamhock
3/22/2007, 09:09 AM
easy.

first your alarm. now your electric.

your house is haunted.

TopDaugIn2000
3/22/2007, 09:10 AM
easy.

your house is haunted.

somethin

this first week has been hell!

TopDaugIn2000
3/22/2007, 09:11 AM
I'd ask the EE in my office, but he'd have to tell me the history of 'lectric all the way up 'til today. I swear, ask the man what time it is and he'll tell you how to build a clock but never answer your question.

Hamhock
3/22/2007, 09:14 AM
if he built a clock, couldn't you just look for yourself??

jeesh...give a man a fish...

Fugue
3/22/2007, 09:17 AM
Do you have a fuse box also?

Don't anybody move....

TopDaugIn2000
3/22/2007, 09:18 AM
no fuses. only the breaker box

sanantoniosooner
3/22/2007, 09:21 AM
sometimes there is a main fuse that feeds the smaller ones. Perhaps you popped a 100 amp outside. It is hard to know without checking it out and seeing what your set up is.

TopDaugIn2000
3/22/2007, 09:22 AM
sometimes there is a main fuse that feeds the smaller ones. Perhaps you popped a 100 amp outside. It is hard to know without checking it out and seeing what your set up is.

Hopefully it's something outside that OEC can/will fix

Frozen Sooner
3/22/2007, 09:22 AM
The cable guy may have nicked a line while drilling in a wall. If you've got a short, one of your breakers might pop a little bit and refuse to come back on when you flip it back closed. Happened to me a couple of years ago-and of course the cable company refused to take responsibility for it.

Vaevictis
3/22/2007, 09:23 AM
EE guys are not electricians, so he'd probably be the wrong guy to ask anyway.

What I would do in this case is take my multimeter, pick a room that isn't giving power, find the breaker on my breaker box that supplies that room, and measure the input to that breaker. If you get 120VAC, you know that the power to the breaker is fine, so pick a place along the power feed closer to the room, and measure there. If you get 120VAC, you know that it's somewhere along the line closer to the room. Repeat until you find where it is.

(Oh, and BTW, being an EE guy, I am probably the wrong guy to ask too ;) )

1stTimeCaller
3/22/2007, 09:30 AM
I think something is messed up with your electrical system.

YWIA

Hamhock
3/22/2007, 09:33 AM
call the landlord

ywia

JohnnyMack
3/22/2007, 09:36 AM
http://www.obscurehorror.com/house2.jpg

TopDaugIn2000
3/22/2007, 09:39 AM
I asked the electrician on our implementation team, he's gonna come take a look at it tonight after work if OEC doesn't fix it before then.

TheHumanAlphabet
3/22/2007, 09:46 AM
You probably lost a phase on your feed line. If you have overhead wires, you're probably in luck and the 'lectric company will fix the feed to your house for free. If like me you have an underground service be prepared to chunk down about 7K like I did to get a new feed line...

Have the 'lectric company come out and check your service at the transformer and at your meter to determine if the issue is in the service line. If it is, ask for a temporary by-pass line to be connected while you are getting a new feed line. I don't know if you have full service to your house meter what the issue would be.

mdklatt
3/22/2007, 09:47 AM
I asked the electrician on our implementation team, he's gonna come take a look at it tonight after work if OEC doesn't fix it before then.

Are you gonna have to put out for him?

TopDaugIn2000
3/22/2007, 09:49 AM
Are you gonna have to put out for him?

he's not :hot:

mdklatt
3/22/2007, 09:52 AM
he's not :hot:

But you're not the one doing him a favor.

You work at Tinker, right? And live in Norman, right? That's a long *** way for somebody to drive for a favor....

:texan:

MamaMia
3/22/2007, 09:55 AM
easy.

your house is haunted.
See, I told you so right after the alarm incident. Heres what you do. Tonight at the stroke of midnight, turn out all the lights and watch for shadows. Slowly walk around a bit. If you feel a cold spot and like you're not alone, theres your clue. :eek:

Hamhock
3/22/2007, 10:09 AM
dear penthouse,

this girl at work said she had an "electrical problem" at her house and asked me to come over tonight to "take a look at it"....

Penguin
3/22/2007, 10:36 AM
The electricity is getting clogged up in the wires. Find an outlet, stick a fork in there and see if you can work the clog loose. You might experience a slight tingling sensation when the electrons start flowing again.

And if at some point you see a warm, beautiful light that brings you peace and comfort when you see it, run towards it. Your great-great-grandmother is calling you home.

TopDaugIn2000
3/22/2007, 11:09 AM
But you're not the one doing him a favor.

You work at Tinker, right? And live in Norman, right? That's a long *** way for somebody to drive for a favor....

:texan:

he also lives in norman

with his wife and kids

1stTimeCaller
3/22/2007, 11:10 AM
kinky

mdklatt
3/22/2007, 11:16 AM
he also lives in norman

with his wife....

Does she know you two are having an affair?

:P

TopDaugIn2000
3/22/2007, 11:21 AM
:mad:

if I'm gonna have an affair with a married mad, he at least has to be :hot:

TopDaugIn2000
3/22/2007, 12:24 PM
just called OEC, they said according to the work order it looks like it's a short in the lines underground, and THEY are taking care of it. Hopefully she knows what she's talking about.

sanantoniosooner
3/22/2007, 12:26 PM
just called OEC, they said according to the work order it looks like it's a short in the lines underground, and THEY are taking care of it. Hopefully she knows what she's talking about.
I hope you turned off all the appliances.

If you didn't, there could be electricity all over the place when you get home.

TopDaugIn2000
3/22/2007, 12:27 PM
I hope you turned off all the appliances.

If you didn't, there could be electricity all over the place when you get home.

great...........

mdklatt
3/22/2007, 01:06 PM
great...........

Is your computer unplugged or attached to a surge protector?

BOOM! goes your RAM and your boot sector.

TopDaugIn2000
3/22/2007, 01:07 PM
Is your computer unplugged or attached to a surge protector?

BOOM! goes your RAM and your boot sector.

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

hopefully they won't get to it before I get home.

My TV is however attached to one of those MONSTER protectors.

SoonerTerry
3/22/2007, 01:09 PM
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y103/SimTechMan/the_money_pit.jpg

NormanPride
3/22/2007, 01:13 PM
You should have your computer hooked to a surge protector anyway...

TopDaugIn2000
3/22/2007, 01:15 PM
yeah, I know. But I couldn't find it last night when the cox guy was there so I just plugged it into a power strip until I could find mine.

Newbomb Turk
3/22/2007, 01:16 PM
I couldn't find it last night when the cox guy was there...

too bad for him.

TopDaugIn2000
3/22/2007, 01:16 PM
:mad:

Harry Beanbag
3/22/2007, 08:41 PM
EE guys are not electricians, so he'd probably be the wrong guy to ask anyway.

What I would do in this case is take my multimeter, pick a room that isn't giving power, find the breaker on my breaker box that supplies that room, and measure the input to that breaker. If you get 120VAC, you know that the power to the breaker is fine, so pick a place along the power feed closer to the room, and measure there. If you get 120VAC, you know that it's somewhere along the line closer to the room. Repeat until you find where it is.

(Oh, and BTW, being an EE guy, I am probably the wrong guy to ask too ;) )

Oh, you're an EE guy. Now I know what your problem is. ;)

TopDaugIn2000
3/22/2007, 09:03 PM
got home and had 'lectric. there is a large cable running thru my backyard hooked up to the side of my house. Hopefully OEC will bury it. God willing.

Frozen Sooner
3/22/2007, 11:29 PM
Remember when your title report had a big ol' exception for easement for utilities? That would be that. Have fun with your new patio furniture! :D

I imagine they'll come by and bury it at some point, though you may have to yell at them a bit.

olevetonahill
3/23/2007, 12:33 AM
they will bury it . or you .:eek:

Vaevictis
3/23/2007, 03:14 AM
Oh, you're an EE guy. Now I know what your problem is. ;)

It's all those imaginary numbers. I'm not entirely sane anymore :(

TopDaugIn2000
3/23/2007, 07:49 AM
My computer was still alive last night, unplugged it before going to bed in case OEC came back for more fun today.