PDA

View Full Version : not that impressed with sound quality of things i've bought from itunes

King Crimson
3/21/2007, 10:43 PM
the illegal is much better (so i've heard).

Lloyd Cole and the Commotions: Rattlesnakes
Brian Jonestown Massacre: Give it Back
Buddy Holly Collection
American Analog Set: forget the name (asn't the LP i wanted from them anyway, way to go major labels only itunes)
Afghan Whigs: whatever the third record is called.

sound quality is really thin on all these.....when you turn it up loud.

boo, iTunes.

batonrougesooner
3/21/2007, 10:48 PM
I honestly have to disagree with you.

I've been pretty happy with the quality I've bought off iTunes.

The ripped stuff could be hit or miss IMO.

Maybe I've just been lucky.

King Crimson
3/21/2007, 11:09 PM
i'd love to be wrong, it's just not that hot out of my old school infinity bookshelf and super old school JBL floor speakers.....to me.

files i play on winamp sound better. more full.

skycat
3/21/2007, 11:13 PM
I've been happy with the Coltrane stuff I've downloaded, which if I was going to notice bad audio, I'd have done it.

I haven't played it on anything better than a mid-range pair of headphones though.

King Crimson
3/21/2007, 11:55 PM
it's cool you listen to Trane though, check out Eric Dolphy if you feel like spending the coin. or if you want to PM me, and send me a SASE with a few bucks to eat a smothered breakfast burrito, hash browns and coffee....i'll burn you a box set. this is an open offer to almost anyone who likes jazz. it's america's music.

maybe i'm wrong about iTunes....something just doesn't seem right when i turn it up.

sooneron
3/22/2007, 06:56 AM
You're not wrong, pretty much EVERYTHING in the itunes store is 128. That's average and perfect for the mass Am Idol audience, but it's not so great on a rich sounding analog stereo.

frankensooner
3/22/2007, 09:42 AM
Why are the iTunes songs so small? I know they are compressed, but man. The stuff I convert is 10 times bigger than a comparable length iTune song.

C&CDean
3/22/2007, 09:52 AM
I still buy CDs and then rip them onto my mp3. Perfect sound quality. If y'all weren't so ****ing cheap you too could experience quality sound.

King Crimson
3/22/2007, 09:58 AM
I still buy CDs and then rip them onto my mp3. Perfect sound quality. If y'all weren't so ****ing cheap you too could experience quality sound.

there's a swing and a miss.....

yermom
3/22/2007, 09:58 AM
i usually look for used stuff since i just rip it anyway

look at Dean embracing technology, sort of :D

i knew there was a reason i hated ITMS

C&CDean
3/22/2007, 10:46 AM
there's a swing and a miss.....

Says Mr. Whine about ****ty quality music after he steals it in the first place.

NormanPride
3/22/2007, 10:50 AM
Dean, you don't steal music from iTunes...

Newbomb Turk
3/22/2007, 10:52 AM
Says Mr. Whine about ****ty quality music after he steals it in the first place.

yeah - I think he likes the stuff he steals. :mack:

yermom
3/22/2007, 10:55 AM

yeah, you pay for it, then, get this, you can only play it on Apple stuff

well, unless you burn a crappy audio cd then rip mp3's from that

no thanks

(this is coming from someone that uses iTunes and has an iPod)

shutup BSG and BRJ :mad:

dolemitesooner
3/22/2007, 11:08 AM
Buying cd's is the only way to go

1stTimeCaller
3/22/2007, 11:11 AM
Buying cd's is the only way to go

who asked you?

;)

BigRedJed
3/22/2007, 11:12 AM
AUDIOWNED!!

dolemitesooner
3/22/2007, 11:12 AM
who asked you?

;)
Sorry rus I won't speak again:O

C&CDean
3/22/2007, 11:18 AM
i usually look for used stuff since i just rip it anyway

look at Dean embracing technology, sort of :D

i knew there was a reason i hated ITMS

Yeah, I bought some of those overpriced Bose headphones, and a 2 Gig MP3 player a while back. Had somebody here at work show me how to rip a cd, and the rest is history. Now I'm considering a Bose system for the house. They're damn proud of those things.

BigRedJed
3/22/2007, 11:19 AM
Heh. 2 GB. Tiny's iPod is TEN TIMES that size. And it's wee.

C&CDean
3/22/2007, 11:19 AM

Oh, so he's a cheapskate buying cheap music that sounds ****ty. My bad. Like he said, he'd be better off stealing it.

BigRedJed
3/22/2007, 11:20 AM
Dean, you're getting owned in this thread. Just sit back and take it like a man, and take comfort in the fact that it doesn't happen often.

C&CDean
3/22/2007, 11:21 AM

Well sir, my MP3 player is loaded with all the QUALITY music I can handle and I haven't even put a dent into the storage capability. If I was ripping off a bunch of ****ty music like y'all, I'd probably need more storage space.

C&CDean
3/22/2007, 11:24 AM
Dean, you're getting owned in this thread. Just sit back and take it like a man, and take comfort in the fact that it doesn't happen often.

Owned? Oh. But I take pride in the fact that I'm not a techno geek. I take pride in the fact that I pay for my music. I take pride in the fact that my kids know all the shiznit like y'all and I don't. And most importantly, I take pride in the fact that I happen to listen to good tunes. Call it owned if you want to.

BigRedJed
3/22/2007, 11:25 AM
Well sir, my MP3 player is loaded with all the QUALITY music I can handle and I haven't even put a dent into the storage capability. If I was ripping off a bunch of ****ty music like y'all, I'd probably need more storage space.
Well considering that most of my music is MP3 format that I ripped directly from CD, just like you, but happens to live on my iPod, I think my 80 GB of space (which I have yet to HALF fill, with over 7000 songs currently loaded), I think I have you tied on quality and asskicked on capacity.

But that's OK, we all needed training wheels once. ;)

BigRedJed
3/22/2007, 11:25 AM
And I pay for my music.

BigRedJed
3/22/2007, 11:26 AM
Owned? Oh. But I take pride in the fact that I'm not a techno geek. I take pride in the fact that I pay for my music. I take pride in the fact that my kids know all the shiznit like y'all and I don't. And most importantly, I take pride in the fact that I happen to listen to good tunes. Call it owned if you want to.
OK. OWNED!

;)

dolemitesooner
3/22/2007, 11:26 AM
I am on dean's side on this. Stealing music is ****ing stupid.

I mean it seems to me people that have all this music they steal don't even have time to listen to it all because they have way to much.

Also the quality of music you buy as compared to what you down load is 10 times better.

For you guys with your full 1000 GIG ipods of stolen I have a question? Does it make your penis longer to brag about that **** and then bitch about the quality of some of the music you stole beacuse if so I need to jump on that wagon because I am lacking in that department.

C&CDean
3/22/2007, 11:27 AM
Well considering that most of my music is MP3 format that I ripped directly from CD, just like you, but happens to live on my iPod, I think my 80 GB of space (which I have yet to HALF fill, with over 7000 songs currently loaded), I think I have you tied on quality and asskicked on capacity.

But that's OK, we all needed training wheels once. ;)

Oh. Well excuse me for not knowing this was a "my dick is bigger than your dick thread." If I'd have known that we'd be back on the Harley vs. Vethpa dealio.:texan:

BigRedJed
3/22/2007, 11:27 AM
And I pay for my music.
Unless somebody brings me a stack of CDs to rip...

dolemitesooner
3/22/2007, 11:28 AM

Oh my god I'll bet your car is faster than mine and you have a way fatter bank account too.

dolemitesooner
3/22/2007, 11:29 AM
SIGH

BigRedJed
3/22/2007, 11:29 AM
Hmmm... Doleo, owning an iPod does NOT equate to stealing music. In fact, as opposed to MP3 player owners, iPod owners probably buy more of their music. Via iTunes.

Like I said, I don't download music from file sharing sites. Ever.

BigRedJed
3/22/2007, 11:30 AM
Oh. Well excuse me for not knowing this was a "my dick is bigger than your dick thread." If I'd have known that we'd be back on the Harley vs. Vethpa dealio.:texan:
I knew it would come back to that. That's the one other area where you keep getting owned. You need to stick to stuff where you don't get owned.

:D

C&CDean
3/22/2007, 11:34 AM
I knew it would come back to that. That's the one other area where you keep getting owned. You need to stick to stuff where you don't get owned.

You are a funny man.

BigRedJed
3/22/2007, 11:35 AM
With 27 GB of high-quality music and space for 50 GB more!

BigRedJed
3/22/2007, 11:35 AM
And a huge penis!

C&CDean
3/22/2007, 11:36 AM
Well, it's pretty much proven fact that you've either gotta have a giant dick or be flamingly gay to ride one of those death machines so I'll buy what you're selling.

C&CDean
3/22/2007, 11:37 AM
Or both.

dolemitesooner
3/22/2007, 11:37 AM
Hmmm... Doleo, owning an iPod does NOT equate to stealing music. In fact, as opposed to MP3 player owners, iPod owners probably buy more of their music. Via iTunes.

Like I said, I don't download music from file sharing sites. Ever.
tHE STEALING THING WAS MORE POINTED AT yEREMOM BRO:D

The my penis is huge yours is small. Thats you......OWNED BITCH

dolemitesooner
3/22/2007, 11:38 AM
dEATH mACHINE....heh

skycat
3/22/2007, 11:39 AM
And a huge penis!

It better be huge to accomodate a large opening for these:

http://photos1.flickr.com/4067352_403e62533e.jpg

C&CDean
3/22/2007, 11:40 AM

Heh. Stonepwned.

BlondeSoonerGirl
3/22/2007, 11:40 AM
I'm gonna go on ahead and 5-star this thread.

BlondeSoonerGirl
3/22/2007, 11:41 AM
Oh, and get a Bose system for your widget, Dean.

I've got one and it's awesome - you'll love it.

Frozen Sooner
3/22/2007, 11:41 AM
Yeah, I bought some of those overpriced Bose headphones, and a 2 Gig MP3 player a while back. Had somebody here at work show me how to rip a cd, and the rest is history. Now I'm considering a Bose system for the house. They're damn proud of those things.

And for no apparent reason. Bose is overpriced. WAY overpriced. Buy some B&W speakers for roughly half what the Bose cost, then sit back and laugh at how much better your audio sounds.

And .mp3 is a lossy compression format. Encoding it at 128k stereo doesn't help that much. However, I have found that stuff that I get off of iTunes sounds better than stuff that other people have downloaded, since Apple actually uses some quality control.

Depending on the quality of your connection, you can also get some pretty poor sound quality creeping in through various connectors. Me, I use a digital connection between my receiver and my iPod. It still doesn't sound as vibrant as a CD does, and certainly nowhere near DVD-A (NOT DVDA you pervs) or SACD, but it does the job.

Frozen Sooner
3/22/2007, 11:42 AM
Oh, and get a Bose system for your widget, Dean.

I've got one and it's awesome - you'll love it.

Awesomely overpriced. :(

Seriously, Bose do sound good, but it's just throwing money down a hole, then setting fire to it. You can buy MUCH better stuff for comparable prices.

dolemitesooner
3/22/2007, 11:42 AM

OWENED:eek:

BlondeSoonerGirl
3/22/2007, 11:43 AM
Awesomely overpriced. :(

Seriously, Bose do sound good, but it's just throwing money down a hole, then setting fire to it. You can buy MUCH better stuff for comparable prices.

I won't argue.

But I still love mine.

:mack:

Frozen Sooner
3/22/2007, 11:44 AM
It's all good. Like I always tell people-if YOU'RE happy with the deal, then you got a good deal. Everything has a relative value: if you value your Bose setup more than you did the money you spent on it, then it was a good deal.

1stTimeCaller
3/22/2007, 11:46 AM
that's cool that BSG now has your permission to be happy with what she has.

dolemitesooner
3/22/2007, 11:46 AM
tHE ONLY THING i HAVE VAULED OVER THE MONEY i HAVE SPENT FOR IT WAS THAT HOOKER SWEET *** IN NEW ORLEANS A COUPLE OF YEARS BACK

Frozen Sooner
3/22/2007, 11:47 AM

I'm glad that I have your permission to let my friend know that I don't think she's a dumbass for spending a lot of money on a Bose system.

Glad you got that out of your system now?

dolemitesooner
3/22/2007, 11:47 AM

BlondeSoonerGirl
3/22/2007, 11:49 AM
It's all good. Like I always tell people-if YOU'RE happy with the deal, then you got a good deal. Everything has a relative value: if you value your Bose setup more than you did the money you spent on it, then it was a good deal.

It kinda fell into my lap - a lady in my office won it and had no idea what it was. It's one of these:

http://www.bose.com/images/home_entertainment/env_sounddock_m.jpg

So it took it off her hands for about $50 less than what I would have paid for it in a store. That things's awesome. But if I went out shopping for a home audio system I don't know if I would have bought it...it was just too good to pass up.

C&CDean
3/22/2007, 11:49 AM
I'm one of those guys who was a huge music fan back in the day. Went to every concert, and I always bought top-of-the-line-at-the-time Pioneer and Sony equipment. I still have a Sony reel-to-reel up in the attic that cost me about $1,500 back in the early 70's.

Then I started having kids. And spending less and less time indoors listening to music. And then my kids started gangstering up my stereo. I'd come in the door and hear "Can't touch that" booming at full volume. Sooooo, it was hands off dad's equipment. After a few more years, I ended up donating most of my equipment to the kids. Upstairs right now they have an old Pioneer system with a double tape deck, big-assed JVC speakers, etc. They added a CD player to it.

Now I'm looking for a decent sound system for the big screen that I can also play music on. The Bose system I'm looking at is about $3,500. Who makes a "better" system for the same or less $$?

Frozen Sooner
3/22/2007, 11:50 AM
Gimme the model number of the Bose system and I'll make some suggestions that'll sound better and cost less.

Also, let me know what you need the theater to do.

1. Do you have a DVD player already? Is that included in the $3500 pricetag? Do you want one of the HD formats or are you cool sticking with SD DVD? Do you want your DVD player to upconvert? If you've got a nice display, you don't really need upconversion-the upconverter on your display is likely better than the one in the DVD player anyhow.

2. Is lossless audio capability something you want or need?

3. Are you going with a surround setup or something else?

Frozen Sooner
3/22/2007, 11:51 AM
It kinda fell into my lap - a lady in my office won it and had no idea what it was. It's one of these:

So it took it off her hands for about $50 less than what I would have paid for it in a store. That things's awesome. But if I went out shopping for a home audio system I don't know if I would have bought it...it was just too good to pass up.

Oh, yeah-those are actually pretty nice. I thought you were talking about a home theater setup.

dolemitesooner
3/22/2007, 11:52 AM
Now dean what in the **** is wrong with Mc hammer. The kids were just trying to get there groove on.

C&CDean
3/22/2007, 11:53 AM
Gimme the model number of the Bose system and I'll make some suggestions that'll sound better and cost less.

http://www.bose.com/controller?event=VIEW_PRODUCT_PAGE_EVENT&product=ls48_dvd_index

There ye be.

C&CDean
3/22/2007, 11:53 AM
And I'm going to lunch right now and will be expecting info when I return.

JohnnyMack
3/22/2007, 11:57 AM

That's on my desk right now. I'm listening to Yoshimi on it as I type this. There is hope for me.

1stTimeCaller
3/22/2007, 11:58 AM
I'm glad that I have your permission to let my friend know that I don't think she's a dumbass for spending a lot of money on a Bose system.

Glad you got that out of your system now?

I never gave you my permission to do that.

;)

JohnnyMack
3/22/2007, 11:59 AM
http://www.bose.com/controller?event=VIEW_PRODUCT_PAGE_EVENT&product=ls48_dvd_index

There ye be.

If you spend $4k on that I'll come to your house and punch you in the dick. Twice.

1stTimeCaller
3/22/2007, 12:00 PM
If you spend $4k on that I'll come to your house and punch you in the dick. Twice.

with the back of his throat.

yermom
3/22/2007, 12:04 PM
tHE STEALING THING WAS MORE POINTED AT yEREMOM BRO:D

The my penis is huge yours is small. Thats you......OWNED BITCH

****, i listen to most of what i have, and a lot of what i listen to is ripped from my own CD's

don't try to say you bought all the music you have either, bro

i will say that i don't really mind the idea of stealing music because i don't think the artists even get that much out of it, it mostly goes to the record companies and their outdated business model

if a band really wants my money, play in OK you bastards

Frozen Sooner
3/22/2007, 12:04 PM
And I'm going to lunch right now and will be expecting info when I return.

Yamaha RX-V1700 receiver. $729 at Butterflyphoto.com right now.
B&W 602 S3s x 4: $1200 MSRP.
B&W LCR 60 S3: $220 MSRP

If you're going to stay with SD DVD, the Oppo DV-981HD is a really nice SD DVD player for $229.00. One of the best consumer-grade DVD players on the market.

If you're going to go with a HD format, your price is going to vary between around $399-$1500 for one of those players. Might be worth it for future-proofing. Sony is going to put out a really nice Blu-Ray player here in a couple of months for $599.

So right now you're looking at a price tag of around $2378. You'll probably want a subwoofer as well. That'll be some extra, though I think the B&W speakers without a subwoofer will stack up quite nicely to that Bose setup.

The Bose will store digital music, which is nice, but for a few extra bucks you can buy the iPod dock for that Yamaha and not have to restore everything on the Bose.

Frozen Sooner
3/22/2007, 12:07 PM
The B&W ASW 650 is a really nice subwoofer that MSRPs for $500. So total price for a system that blows the pants off that Bose system: $2800-2900. And it's upgradeable.

JohnnyMack
3/22/2007, 12:08 PM
with the back of his throat.

Hate. You.

1stTimeCaller
3/22/2007, 12:10 PM

JohnnyMack
3/22/2007, 12:11 PM
Spend $300 on a DVD player. I'd wait on any kind of HD DVD player for now.

Mike Rich is spot on the Yamaha receiver. Great for the money. $700 - $900 or so.

You could get a Paradigm Cinema Series set of speakers that would cost you around $1200 - $1500.

Maybe $2200 - $2700 spent and you'd leave the Bose in the dust.

Frozen Sooner
3/22/2007, 12:11 PM
Or better yet, Dean, give 85Sooner a call. I'm sure he can set you up really well and if you don't mind the drive I'll bet he'll give you a nicer price than I can find you on quality stuff.

Frozen Sooner
3/22/2007, 12:13 PM
Spend $300 on DVD player. I'd wait on any kind of HD DVD player for now.

See, I disagree with this. If you're going to spend $300 on a DVD player already, you might as well spend a couple hundred more and get something that plays one of the new formats.

It's pretty evident that BD is walking away with this thing now, so a BD player purchase isn't all that risky.

JohnnyMack
3/22/2007, 12:13 PM
Or better yet, Dean, give 85Sooner a call. I'm sure he can set you up really well and if you don't mind the drive I'll bet he'll give you a nicer price than I can find you on quality stuff.

Make sure you ask lots of questions.

And don't buy anything.

And loiter for a couple of hours. He loves that.

Frozen Sooner
3/22/2007, 12:14 PM
OOOOOO. Make sure you try to barter as well.

JohnnyMack
3/22/2007, 12:14 PM
See, I disagree with this. If you're going to spend $300 on a DVD player already, you might as well spend a couple hundred more and get something that plays one of the new formats.

It's pretty evident that BD is walking away with this thing now, so a BD player purchase isn't all that risky.

He could hedge his bet and spend $150 on something simple that gets the job done for now and then upgrade once the prices fall.

Frozen Sooner
3/22/2007, 12:15 PM
True, true.

I just hate telling someone who doesn't like to buy new electronic stuff every couple of years to not buy something relatively future-proofed.

Frozen Sooner
3/22/2007, 12:16 PM
Heck with it. Dean, if you want to cut costs on the receiver, I'd sell you my used RX-V659 for a few hundred. I think I'm going to hop on that RX-V1700 deal. :D

JohnnyMack
3/22/2007, 12:17 PM
Heck with it. Dean, if you want to cut costs on the receiver, I'd sell you my used RX-V659 for a few hundred. I think I'm going to hop on that RX-V1700 deal. :D

I have some MK speakers I'll sell you. I wanna upgrade too. :D

skycat
3/22/2007, 12:43 PM
True, true.

I just hate telling someone who doesn't like to buy new electronic stuff every couple of years to not buy something relatively future-proofed.

No.
Such.
Thing.

skycat
3/22/2007, 12:44 PM

The correct response to this softball was:

STOWNED

Frozen Sooner
3/22/2007, 12:45 PM
I have some MK speakers I'll sell you. I wanna upgrade too. :D

I'm gonna head over to Best Buy and see if they'll match that Butterfly price. This oughta be good.

Skycat, I said relatively. Like there probably isn't going to be widespread adoption of any new formats for a couple of years. Too many studios have too much invested in BD right now.

BigRedJed
3/22/2007, 12:45 PM
The correct response to this softball was:

STOWNED
I agree.

skycat
3/22/2007, 12:49 PM
I agree.

See, it's because it is the almost mythically rare triple entendre.

skycat
3/22/2007, 12:49 PM
I feel like explaining my own joke.

Because that always makes things funnier.

Frozen Sooner
3/22/2007, 12:51 PM
I feel like explaining my own joke.

Because that always makes things funnier.

ZOMG! I GET IT NOW!

JohnnyMack
3/22/2007, 12:54 PM
I'm gonna head over to Best Buy and see if they'll match that Butterfly price. This oughta be good.

Skycat, I said relatively. Like there probably isn't going to be widespread adoption of any new formats for a couple of years. Too many studios have too much invested in BD right now.

I tried that before when I bought my TV. I found it online for several hundred dollars cheaper and they wouldn't price match. Bastards.

skycat
3/22/2007, 01:05 PM
ZOMG! I GET IT NOW!

SEE!

King Crimson
3/22/2007, 01:37 PM
back to the 128 compression issue (that sooneron commented on first, i believe)....i've been watching the stuff i've been listening to all this morning (winamp displays this information...) and nearly everything i have is 258 or 356.

anyway, i had a sweet yamaha system back inna day, first stereo i ever had and saved up like miser to buy in high school. lasted 15 years and my mom still uses that receiver since hers conked out a while back. i have pretty sweet 100 watt old school Denon amp these days i bought from a buddy. it's capable.

i used to be a mac "true believer", but i'm just not anymore.

sooneron
3/22/2007, 01:45 PM

There ye be.
I will say right now, that is SOOOOOOO not worth the change.

dolemitesooner
3/22/2007, 01:48 PM
****, i listen to most of what i have, and a lot of what i listen to is ripped from my own CD's

don't try to say you bought all the music you have either, bro

i will say that i don't really mind the idea of stealing music because i don't think the artists even get that much out of it, it mostly goes to the record companies and their outdated business model

if a band really wants my money, play in OK you bastards
Everthing that that I currently listen to That I have ripped from you I currently own. Everthing you have given me that I dont listnen to I delte. I like to keep my **** clean.

Also dont act like you have even bought half of the **** you own because you dont....jackass

sooneron
3/22/2007, 01:53 PM
back to the 128 compression issue (that sooneron commented on first, i believe)....i've been watching the stuff i've been listening to all this morning (winamp displays this information...) and nearly everything i have is 258 or 356.

anyway, i had a sweet yamaha system back inna day, first stereo i ever had and saved up like miser to buy in high school. lasted 15 years and my mom still uses that receiver since hers conked out a while back. i have pretty sweet 100 watt old school Denon amp these days i bought from a buddy. it's capable.

i used to be a mac "true believer", but i'm just not anymore.
I don't think it is truly a mac thing unless you are buying off of the itunes store. I rip at whatever bitrate I want to in itunes.

sooneron
3/22/2007, 01:55 PM
Every song that I have that is "warm" is off of a cd/tape/lp that I have previously owned.

dolemitesooner
3/22/2007, 01:57 PM
I do occasionly Rip somthing X person has and if I like it I go and buy the cd. If I hate it I never buy it and I delete that ****. I delte it because I fill dirty and do it because I hate it

King Crimson
3/22/2007, 02:19 PM
I don't think it is truly a mac thing unless you are buying off of the itunes store. I rip at whatever bitrate I want to in itunes.

sure, the mac comment was just a general one. the biggest lemon computer i ever bought was a G3 powerbook. it was just a quirky machine that froze all the time. it was a pain. and a 1800$ toilet flush basically.

like i say, i was a big mac guy and then i started spending money left and right....the Dell i use now is almost 4 years old and i've never had a problem (knock on wood). and it was much MUCH cheaper. just my experience. i have an old imac in my office, it's OK. i like it.

sooneron
3/22/2007, 02:38 PM
sure, the mac comment was just a general one. the biggest lemon computer i ever bought was a G3 powerbook. it was just a quirky machine that froze all the time. it was a pain. and a 1800$ toilet flush basically.

like i say, i was a big mac guy and then i started spending money left and right....the Dell i use now is almost 4 years old and i've never had a problem (knock on wood). and it was much MUCH cheaper. just my experience. i have an old imac in my office, it's OK. i like it.
THe G3s were VERY problematic. I had an ibookG3 that sucked. Bad motherboard that always had to be replaced. Now the wife uses it to browse and do some basic non work stuff. No problems for more than a year now. I have the intel duo and it rawks, before that, I had a G4 that was stolen.:(

C&CDean
3/22/2007, 03:20 PM
Listen to the geekozoids. I have a company computer. Don't own one personally. Don't have a clue....wait......it's a HP laptop. Don't even ask me what model...

yermom
3/22/2007, 03:27 PM
Everthing that that I currently listen to That I have ripped from you I currently own. Everthing you have given me that I dont listnen to I delte. I like to keep my **** clean.

Also dont act like you have even bought half of the **** you own because you dont....jackass

do you want to do an audit?

i never said half, but it's probably something like that, especially stuff i listen to a lot

dolemitesooner
3/22/2007, 03:28 PM
do you want to do an audit?

i never said half, but it's probably something like that, especially stuff i listen to a lot
I am not talking about what you listen to alot I am talking about what you have down loaded on ****ing hard drives and ****.

yermom
3/22/2007, 03:29 PM
THe G3s were VERY problematic. I had an ibookG3 that sucked. Bad motherboard that always had to be replaced. Now the wife uses it to browse and do some basic non work stuff. No problems for more than a year now. I have the intel duo and it rawks, before that, I had a G4 that was stolen.:(

once the G4 and OS X came out i have had lots of good things to say about Macs

before that i gave you Mac users a lot of crap because i just didn't see what the fuss was about, **** just thinking about Appletalk and Chooser makes me want to barf. ugh Extensions, man this is all coming back and it succs!

dolemitesooner
3/22/2007, 03:30 PM
Dude I will put cash on it and then we can do an audit. I would put cash on it that over 70% of the stuff you own you have not bought the cd for.

Where mine is like less than 10%

yermom
3/22/2007, 03:34 PM
I am not talking about what you listen to alot I am talking about what you have down loaded on ****ing hard drives and ****.

you act like i have hard drives laying around with a bunch of crap on them i could never listen to. i have like 30 gigs of music maybe?

it's not like i spend all day downloading songs... if i want an album i usually go buy it, it's too much of a hassle to download them complete and in decent quality

C&CDean
3/22/2007, 03:38 PM
Get a ****ing room.

mdklatt
3/22/2007, 03:43 PM
Get a ****ing room.

You're talking to the South Oval's very own Jay and Silent Bob. They've already got one.

Frozen Sooner
3/22/2007, 04:13 PM
So, I'm listening to the SACD of Dark Side of the Moon right now.

And lemme tell ya-the AQ on this is so far above the AQ from any .mp3 file it's unreal.

Too bad there's like 20 SACDs that were ever made. :(

C&CDean
3/22/2007, 04:26 PM
So, I'm listening to the SACD of Dark Side of the Moon right now.

And lemme tell ya-the AQ on this is so far above the AQ from any .mp3 file it's unreal.

Too bad there's like 20 SACDs that were ever made. :(

Let me know when you start speaking English.

Frozen Sooner
3/22/2007, 04:38 PM
THEY SPEAK ENGLISH IN WHAT?

SACD=Super Audio CD. It's a CD technology that Sony was pushing starting in 2000 that never took off. Supports much higher bandwidth and data than regular CD. Allows 5.1 lossless sound, as opposed to a CD, which offers 2-channel lossy sound.

AQ=audio quality.

Dark Side of the Moon=Pink Floyd album. I'm relatively sure you've heard of them. :) DSOTM is considered one of "the" reference-quality recordings made in the rock genre. Alan Parsons did an OUTSTANDING job mixing the original master, and it's help up very well over time.

JohnnyMack
3/22/2007, 04:40 PM
Dark Side of the Moon=Pink Floyd album. I'm relatively sure you've heard of them. :) DSOTM is considered one of "the" reference-quality recordings made in the rock genre. Alan Parsons did an OUTSTANDING job mixing the original master, and it's help up very well over time.

Roger Waters is doing DSOTM in Vegas in June. I mention this only because my boss will be out there seeing The Police on Friday night and hopefully Roger Waters on Saturday night. I hate him. My boss. Not Roger.

C&CDean
3/22/2007, 04:46 PM
THEY SPEAK ENGLISH IN WHAT?

SACD=Super Audio CD. It's a CD technology that Sony was pushing starting in 2000 that never took off. Supports much higher bandwidth and data than regular CD. Allows 5.1 lossless sound, as opposed to a CD, which offers 2-channel lossy sound.

AQ=audio quality.

Heh. Smart guy. But I'll bet you didn't see Pink Floyd DSOTM tour when it came out, did you? One of the best, if not THE best concert I ever went to. First time I saw video, etc. used during a concert. Of course what they did would be a joke now, but back in the day, it was mind-blowing. The shrooms probably helped a little too.

BigRedJed
3/22/2007, 04:46 PM
You've obviously never seen the Flaming Lips in concert.

BigRedJed
3/22/2007, 04:47 PM
Shroomy.

yermom
3/22/2007, 04:47 PM
Let me know when you start speaking English.

i didn't understand half that crap either...

OUAndy1807
3/22/2007, 04:50 PM
I don't like hifi

Frozen Sooner
3/22/2007, 04:51 PM
Heh. Smart guy. But I'll bet you didn't see Pink Floyd DSOTM tour when it came out, did you? One of the best, if not THE best concert I ever went to. First time I saw video, etc. used during a concert. Of course what they did would be a joke now, but back in the day, it was mind-blowing. The shrooms probably helped a little too.

DSOTM came out in 1973. I came out in 1974. 34 years later, and there's very few albums out there that I can honestly say match up with DSOTM.

However, I did make it to a Dead show in 1980.

Frozen Sooner
3/22/2007, 04:52 PM
i didn't understand half that crap either...

It's like the difference between having a regular ol' WRX and an STi.

Sure, a WRX is kinda fun. The STi is a LOT of fun.

C&CDean
3/22/2007, 04:52 PM
You've obviously never seen the Flaming Lips in concert.

No sir, I haven't. And probably never will. I've seen so many bands I've forgotten many of them. All in their "original" states. Deep Purple. Boston. Zeppelin. The Who. Alice Cooper (Killer and Billion $ babies). Kiss. Stones. CSNY. Bowie (Ziggy Stardust days). Fleetwood Mac (they opened for Deep Purple in about 1971). Grand Funk. Foghat. Ten Years After. Jefferson Airplane. Jefferson Starship. Grateful Dead (grossly overrated). Moody Blues. Steve Miller. Black Oak Arkansas. Molly Hatchet. Charlie Daniels. Marshall Tucker. .38 Special. Allman Brothers. Elvin Bishop. Elton John. And literally 10's if not 100's more.

I'm pretty confident the Lips won't make me cum or anything.

Frozen Sooner
3/22/2007, 04:54 PM
So are you saying most of those bands DID?

Is your name Cynthia by any chance?

King Crimson
3/22/2007, 04:56 PM
i would have liked to see the Killer era Alice Cooper. some good dirty guitar rock.

you never saw Yes, dean?

C&CDean
3/22/2007, 04:57 PM
So are you saying most of those bands DID?

Is your name Cynthia by any chance?

No, but I did cop wood watching the Ike and Tina Turner Review.

And I'm just jacking with Jed cause we all know he's the Lip's only groupie.

yermom
3/22/2007, 04:58 PM
i know a couple more, but they are ghey

:dolemite:

C&CDean
3/22/2007, 04:58 PM
i would have liked to see the Killer era Alice Cooper. some good dirty guitar rock.

you never saw Yes, dean?

I did. Wakeman was so wasted he nodded out at the keyboards. Good times.

C&CDean
3/22/2007, 04:59 PM
And the really sad thing is I can't hardly stand concerts anymore. Especially big shows. I like a really good band in a small setting - with NO ****ing smokers. The big stadium/auditorium shows bore me to tears now. Gettin' old, gettin' old...

King Crimson
3/22/2007, 05:03 PM
I did. Wakeman was so wasted he nodded out at the keyboards. Good times.

a buddy dragged me to see them in about 91, and was not into it really--even though i always loved the Yes Album, Fragile, and Scenes from Topo ocean....but i was not really into going and my buddy says i'll buy the tickets and let's go. and we drove to Denver in his white Dodge van drinking 40 oz Mickey's big mouths.

it was (one of) the reunion tour(s) with the all the orginal members and the rotating stage (!)....at McNichols in Denver. they ****ing rocked....i was blown away. jon anderson was wearing a cape and goofy slippers.

Beef
3/22/2007, 05:05 PM
I have a Harley and an 80G iPod, but only an average sized dick. Do I win anything?

JohnnyMack
3/22/2007, 05:06 PM
I have a Harley and an 80G iPod, but only an average sized dick. Do I win anything?

A hole-in-one from 1tc.

Enjoy.

C&CDean
3/22/2007, 05:10 PM
a buddy dragged me to see them in about 91, and was not into it really--even though i always loved the Yes Album, Fragile, and Scenes from Topo ocean....but i was not really into going and my buddy says i'll buy the tickets and let's go. and we drove to Denver in his white Dodge van drinking 40 oz Mickey's big mouths.

it was (one of) the reunion tour(s) with the all the orginal members and the rotating stage (!)....at McNichols in Denver. they ****ing rocked....i was blown away. jon anderson was wearing a cape and goofy slippers.

You're damn near as old as me. Funny how some of the best shows were ones you didn't even want to go to. I was like that when I saw David Bowie in Memphis. I'm like "this dude's a fag" but the guy I was with goes "dude, you need to listen to The Rise & Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars." I'm like "you're kidding me, right?"

The lights went down for like 5 minutes and people were starting to get rowdy when all of a sudden there was a single acoustic guitar strum and the spotlights all went to the roof of the auditorium. Bowie was sitting in a rocking chair wearing some weirdo space outfit and started playing "Ziggy Stardust" as the rocking chair slowly lowered to the stage. The second it hit the stage they broke into Suffragette City with all kinds of pyro, and Mick Ronson RMFO. Very, VERY good show.

Beef
3/22/2007, 05:12 PM
A hole-in-one from 1tc.

Enjoy.
My doc told me to give that up. Oh well.

King Crimson
3/22/2007, 05:14 PM
You're damn near as old as me. Funny how some of the best shows were ones you didn't even want to go to. I was like that when I saw David Bowie in Memphis. I'm like "this dude's a fag" but the guy I was with goes "dude, you need to listen to The Rise & Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars." I'm like "you're kidding me, right?"

The lights went down for like 5 minutes and people were starting to get rowdy when all of a sudden there was a single acoustic guitar strum and the spotlights all went to the roof of the auditorium. Bowie was sitting in a rocking chair wearing some weirdo space outfit and started playing "Ziggy Stardust" as the rocking chair slowly lowered to the stage. The second it hit the stage they broke into Suffragette City with all kinds of pyro, and Mick Ronson RMFO. Very, VERY good show.

Mick Ronson is one of the most underrated rock guitarists. i have a couple bootlegs from the Ziggy era and i didn't buy them from iTunes....if yer interested. sound quality isn't that great but there are some sublime moments. i'm a huge fan of the Hunky Dory/Ziggy/man who sold the world Bowie. i could not argue with anyone who said Ziggy is the best rock record ever.

BigRedJed
3/22/2007, 05:27 PM
No sir, I haven't. And probably never will. I've seen so many bands I've forgotten many of them. All in their "original" states. Deep Purple. Boston. Zeppelin. The Who. Alice Cooper (Killer and Billion $ babies). Kiss. Stones. CSNY. Bowie (Ziggy Stardust days). Fleetwood Mac (they opened for Deep Purple in about 1971). Grand Funk. Foghat. Ten Years After. Jefferson Airplane. Jefferson Starship. Grateful Dead (grossly overrated). Moody Blues. Steve Miller. Black Oak Arkansas. Molly Hatchet. Charlie Daniels. Marshall Tucker. .38 Special. Allman Brothers. Elvin Bishop. Elton John. And literally 10's if not 100's more.

I'm pretty confident the Lips won't make me cum or anything.
You're probably not going to believe me, but I have seen every act or some variation on that list other than Bowie (the one remaining act that I tell people I would take off work and travel to see), Alice Cooper and Elvin Bishop. Many (or maybe most) of them I saw with their original or most popular lineups.

Saw the Machinehead lineup of Deep Purple on the Perfect Strangers tour. Saw Boston on the Third Stage tour. Haven't seen Zeppelin, but I've seen Plant twice and seen Jimmy Page with Paul Rodgers as The Firm. Saw a Moon-less Who in '89, saw them again, this time also without Entwhistle. I'll see them again tomorrow night. I've seen Townshend solo. Saw KISS in makeup, without makeup, without Peter Criss and Ace, but WITH Eric Carr. Saw them again with makeup, original lineup.

I've seen the Stones three times (no Brian Jones, but they still kicked ***). I've seen CSN twice and CSN&Y once. Seen Neil Young solo. Seen Fleetwood Mac. Saw Mark Farner claiming to be Grand Funk. Saw Foghat twice. Saw Alvin Lee claiming to be Ten Years After. Never saw Jefferson Airplane, but saw Paul Kantner, Marty Balin, and Jack Casady. Saw Jefferson Starship (great) and Starship (the succ). Had dinner with Jefferson Starship's Craig Chaquico when he came through town playing jazz. Saw his jazz show live. I saw the Dead twice, traveling to see them both times. Saw the Moody Blues at the Zoo.

Like everybody, I've seen Steve Miller probably ten times. Snuck out of the house in junior high school to see BOA. Saw Molly Hatchet, also when I was in JHS. Saw CDB and .38 Special once each. Saw Marshall Tucker at the Zoo. Saw Greg Allman in a club. I know it's not the Allman Brothers, but he still kicked ***. I've seen Elton twice.

Heck, I turn 40 this year, and probably see and have seen an average of a dozen shows a year (maybe twice that many, who knows) since I was 13. A lot of them were festivals with 7, 8, 10 bands. I go to shows.

And, I did mushrooms. And pot. And acid. And....

Why am I telling you all of this? Only to point out that you don't have the market cornered on concerts, or rock, or appreciation of good shows or good music. When I say the Lips are one of the top five shows I've ever seen it means something. I'm not kidding.

They might, just might, make you come. Or something.

Edit: saw BOA and Molly Hatchet in JUNIOR HIGH. MH was with April Wine. Great show.

BigRedJed
3/22/2007, 05:29 PM
In fact their special shirt that was made for the zoo show was labeled "Orgasmic Sensory Overload."

There's a reason they are consistently one of the top few shows in "see this band before you die" lists.

BigRedJed
3/22/2007, 05:30 PM
I think you're under the impression that the only shows I go to or have seen were post-New Wave era. I'm no spring chicken.

sooneron
3/22/2007, 06:17 PM
I think you're under the impression that the only shows I go to or have seen were post-New Wave era. I'm no spring chicken.
But were you at Roklahoma!>!>!!??!??!?!

sooneron
3/22/2007, 06:19 PM
I have to bow down to :dean: for once, that Ziggy show musta been killer! I saw Bowie two days after Hurricane Whatever in Houston in 83- great show, but not Ziggy

King Crimson
3/22/2007, 09:28 PM
83 was what, Let's Dance?

Frozen Sooner
3/22/2007, 11:26 PM
I tried that before when I bought my TV. I found it online for several hundred dollars cheaper and they wouldn't price match. Bastards.

They price-matched for me. I rule. They had it marked at $1199. Got it for $768 (since they argued I'd have to pay for shipping.)

OUTromBoNado
3/22/2007, 11:56 PM
yeah, you pay for it, then, get this, you can only play it on Apple stuff

well, unless you burn a crappy audio cd then rip mp3's from that

no thanks

(this is coming from someone that uses iTunes and has an iPod)

shutup BSG and BRJ :mad:

WRONG! There's a very easy way to turn iTunes stuff into standard .mp3s, although they still have the notice on them that they came from iTunes. It requires two programs and takes less time to convert than it does burning a CD and ripping from it.

yermom
3/23/2007, 01:53 AM
it's still crappy 128k though...

what are the two programs?

def_lazer_fc
3/23/2007, 02:06 AM
Brian Jonestown Massacre: Give it Back

anton is god. but in the crazy "i really think i AM god" sort of way. which brings me back to my previous statement. anton is god.

sooneron
3/23/2007, 07:47 AM
83 was what, Let's Dance?
Yep, it was called the Serious Moonlight tour. Great show, but it was too brassy. And I looked it up, it was Hurricane Alicia, a cat. 3.

King Crimson
3/23/2007, 08:31 AM
Yep, it was called the Serious Moonlight tour. Great show, but it was too brassy. And I looked it up, it was Hurricane Alicia, a cat. 3.

i always liked China Girl (an Iggy Pop song, orig): "I stumble into town, just like a sacred cow, visions of swastikas in my head.....". so grandiose.

King Crimson
3/23/2007, 08:34 AM
the Ziggy Stardust concert movie is pretty good. he/they do a version of white light/white heat and you get to see Mick Ronson create right before your very eyes every hair metal band lead guitiarist cliche in the book (but he makes you believe it).......and he's wearing a cape.

C&CDean
3/23/2007, 08:43 AM
Why am I telling you all of this? Only to point out that you don't have the market cornered on concerts, or rock, or appreciation of good shows or good music. When I say the Lips are one of the top five shows I've ever seen it means something. I'm not kidding.

They might, just might, make you come. Or something.

Edit: saw BOA and Molly Hatchet in JUNIOR HIGH. MH was with April Wine. Great show.

I am very aware that I "don't have the market cornered on concerts, etc." However, I do have the market cornered on being an opinionated, judgemental, crotchety, picky, hard-to-impress peckerhead.

I have never knowingly listened to a Flaming Lips song. Maybe I've heard one playing and didn't know who it was. But being the old, crotchety peckerhead that I am, it's kind of hard for me to get past all the silliness on their album covers, interviews, etc. I mean that stuff was cool in '74, but today I just wanna hear music. I don't care about their lives. I don't care about their habits. Just rock or go the **** home.

And I'm kind of curious about them being a "don't miss" show. Are they that good musically, or are they just that silly or great showmen, or what? I can't believe it's the music (otherwise I'd probably have given them a listen or two). However, I could be wrong. Where can I listen to them without dropping any $$?

JohnnyMack
3/23/2007, 09:26 AM
They price-matched for me. I rule. They had it marked at $1199. Got it for $768 (since they argued I'd have to pay for shipping.)

:bsmf:

Stupid Mike Rich.

Stupid Best Buy.

JohnnyMack
3/23/2007, 09:27 AM
Where can I listen to them without dropping any $$?

Go steal :dolemite:'s iPod.

Or you can stream a good sampling of it at flaminglips.com

C&CDean
3/23/2007, 09:28 AM
Go steal :dolemite:'s iPod.

I said "the Lips" not "the Crips."

JohnnyMack
3/23/2007, 09:29 AM
I said "the Lips" not "the Crips."

Heh.

BigRedJed
3/23/2007, 09:50 AM
Dean, go to www.flaminglips.com (http://www.flaminglips.com) , and click on the audio tab. Make sure to select "broadband" in the top left corner. There's a Flash audio player that's pretty straightforward. The little colorful rectangles are color-coded to show tracks from different albums. The complete At War With The Mystics disc is available, and selected tracks from their Warner Brothers releases are also there.

I would recommend starting with the third color from the left, the blue squares, which are songs from 1999's The Soft Bulletin. Probably the most accessible of all of their music, and my favorite disc. But AWWTM has some good guitar rock, too, something they abandoned for a while.

Frankly, I'm not expecting you to like the Lips. They're sort of an acquired taste, especially Wayne's voice. It's warbly at times, sort of like Neil Young's. But if you can get used to it, you'll appreciate that he puts more feeling into his singing than most. The lyrics that he writes are generally intensely personal (lots of songs about personal loss, parents dying, etc.), and frankly he just means it more than most hit factory singers. The topics are heavy, and sometimes sad, but generally always tinged with some pretty infectious hope.

And to answer your question about their live show, it's about the music, and the show. I like to think they are this generation's Pink Floyd. A lot of people love Floyd, just as many people hate them. They're not middle of the road like the Stones or others. Like Floyd, they are studio geeks (which is why they keep winning Grammys -- one of them this year was for production). Also like Floyd, they are a little loony, and put on incredible, crazy stage shows. Remember Floyd's tour for The Wall, where they had an actual wall built between them and the audience? Remember the lazers, the huge inflatable pig? That's the Lips' show, if you also sprinkle in some Alice Cooper and KISS (sans the "evil" parts). A Lips show just has this crazy visual, sonic, audience-participation, almost cult-of-positivity-good-feelings thing going on. It's really hard to describe, frankly.

King Crimson
3/23/2007, 10:04 AM
i saw the Lips do about a half hour version of Floyd's Interstellar Overdrive in about 88--complete with smoke machines and strobe lights.

sooneron
3/23/2007, 10:12 AM
Listen to Waiting For Superman, it's a very powerful song that doesn't put you on guard the moment it starts. It's a Lips kiddie pool, if you will. BEAUTIFUL SONG!

sooneron
3/23/2007, 10:14 AM
Out of curiosity, I may just have a synapse issue, but what does BOA stand for?

I saw BOC in concert, not sure about BOA.

OUAndy1807
so who's better:
The Flaming Lips or the Black Lips?

BigRedJed
i saw the Lips do about a half hour version of Floyd's Interstellar Overdrive in about 88--complete with smoke machines and strobe lights.
That would have been awesome. I saw the Lips back then, but I'm embarassed to say that they never really made an impression on me until Priest Driven Ambulance.

Dean, when (if) you listen to the tracks from At War With The Mystics (far left on the audio player), keep in mind that IMO that disc doesn't hit its stride until the third track The Sound of Failure - It's Dark...Is It Always This Dark?? If you play the disk straight through from there, you're probably going to relate to it more than you will the first couple of tracks. At times it's really soft, quiet and moody though, and not really rockish. Be prepared.

C&CDean
OK. I just listened to Race for the Prize (good), The Spark that bled (meh), waitin' for a superman (OK), and am currently listening to Feeling yourself disintegrate (the best of the 4 IMO). Not bad, but why all the silliness? All the:

An untested hypothesis suggesting that the chemical [in our brains] by which we are able to experience the sensation of being in love is the same chemical that caused the "Big Bang" that was the birth of the accelerating universe)

and

(Moments of routine and boredom that cause you to daydream or reflect on the nature of reality sometimes with maddeningly melancholy results)

and

WTF does "accessible" mean? I think they're trying to say "listenable." Which begs the question "should music be so hard to listen to that you have to force yourself to give it a whirl?"

I see/hear the Neil Young thing, but "Floyd-like" would be a stretch.

I'll give some of the other stuff a listen because frankly what I've heard so far hasn't scared me off. And I'll try to get past all the freaky-geeky-sensei-enlightenment bullcrap too.

BigRedJed
3/23/2007, 10:17 AM
Out of curiosity, I may just have a synapse issue, but what does BOA stand for?

I saw BOC, not sure about BOA.
I saw BOC too. But Dean referenced Black Oak Arkansas, who I also saw, in junior high. I just typed the acronym to save on typing. I don't think anyone ever called them BOA, unlike BOC, who were called that all the time.

BTW, I saw BOC open for Rush my senior year of HS. We still had festival seating in Wichita at the time, so we camped at the door and rushed the stage when the door opened. I was standing against the crowd wall the entire concert. Awesome show.

BigRedJed
3/23/2007, 10:20 AM
If you want to hear Floyd, listen to Pompeii am Gotterdammerung from AWWTM. But when I mention Floyd, I drawing a comparison more to their dedication to studio work and their live shows than their actual sound.

BigRedJed
3/23/2007, 10:28 AM
...WTF does "accessible" mean? I think they're trying to say "listenable." Which begs the question "should music be so hard to listen to that you have to force yourself to give it a whirl?"...
Well, I think you grasp what I mean, but not the intended meaning, if that makes sense. There are bands that create stuff that is instantly catchy and listenable, but that you grow tired of eventually, (recently, the Killers and the like), and bands/songs that get better the more you listen to them. I put the Lips in that category. So much of what they do involves heavy production that sometimes you're still hearing things for the first time after listening to it dozens of times.

Also, like I mentioned, Wayne has a voice that's an acquired taste. On some of the songs, it's much more palatable, and someone who's never listened to them won't be turned off. On others, he kind of revels in the warbly, expressionistic nature of his voice, and unless you already like him, and the Lips, it could be off-putting.

The thing I like about this band is that they NEVER try to write hits. They don't try to placate an existing audience. 24 years into their existence, they keep pushing forward, and making music that makes THEM happy. If you grow to like them, you'll like their music.

C&CDean
3/23/2007, 10:41 AM
Currently checking out Free Radicals. Princeish. Pretty good tune. Just listened to The Yeah Yeah Yeah song. HMMMM.

The jury is still out.

1stTimeCaller
3/23/2007, 10:46 AM
I'm a big fan right now of listening to live, acoustic stuff. I hate heavy production in the studio. It makes me think of Britney Spears and Ashley Simpson. I like to hear what the artist can do, not what knobs a sound engineer can turn in the studio.

JohnnyMack
3/23/2007, 10:54 AM
I'm a big fan right now of listening to live, acoustic stuff. I hate heavy production in the studio. It makes me think of Britney Spears and Ashley Simpson. I like to hear what the artist can do, not what knobs a sound engineer can turn in the studio.

What you'd really like to be doing is playing with Ashley Simpson's knobs.

BigRedJed
3/23/2007, 10:56 AM
Currently checking out Free Radicals. Princeish. Pretty good tune. Just listened to The Yeah Yeah Yeah song. HMMMM.

The jury is still out.
Check out my post above regarding the first two tracks. Glad you like Free Radicals, and yeah, it's Princeish. Get ready for that disk to sound totally different the rest of the way.

C&CDean
3/23/2007, 10:59 AM
OK, I've gotten a little over halfway through At War with the Mystics. I'm starting to get a little frazzled around the edges with synthesizer-laced stuff. Kind of all starting to sound the same.

I'm kind of disappointed because it talks about "more rock based.....Black Sabbath War Pigs....etc." Nothing on here even comes close to War Pigs. Which reminds me to break out my Paranoid CD...

BigRedJed
3/23/2007, 11:00 AM
Well, the Lips pull off just about everything live that they do in the studio. They're super committed to the live experience. On one tour, they checked out special headphones to audiences at club shows, and played through the house's system AND broadcast on an FM signal for an enhanced experience.

But they also can play some pretty amazing acoustic stuff. There's a version of The Yeah Yeah Yeah Song with just Wayne and a piano that might just make you cry.

BigRedJed
3/23/2007, 11:03 AM
OK, I've gotten a little over halfway through At War with the Mystics. I'm starting to get a little frazzled around the edges with synthesizer-laced stuff. Kind of all starting to sound the same.

I'm kind of disappointed because it talks about "more rock based.....Black Sabbath War Pigs....etc." Nothing on here even comes close to War Pigs. Which reminds me to break out my Paranoid CD...
Yeah, a lot of people were expecting that because of all of the talk about them returning to their guitar band roots, but there's only a little guitar rock on that disk. Check out The W.A.N.D. for some rocky riffs.

Much of that talk came from them covering War Pigs in concert for the past couple of years (they can rock the **** out of it). Doing more guitar-based stuff inspired them to pull the guitars out for the studio sessions on this disc, something they hadn't done during the past 6-7 years. But nothing approaching War Pigs is on that disc.

C&CDean
3/23/2007, 11:05 AM
Which also reminds me, the other night my kids go "dad, you gotta come upstairs and check out this new game called Guitar Hero." So, I go up there and check it out. I clicked on War Pigs, (easy version but full speed) and RTFO. They were all freaking out going "how do you know about War Pigs?" I said "how do you know about it?" They said "from Guitar Hero." I said "that song is over 30 years old." They're all "no way, that rocks."

The upside to this is that they're all listening to classic rock stations, some blues, and I haven't heard "BA DUM DUM SHOO, muh****ah, muh****ah" in weeks.

BigRedJed
3/23/2007, 11:09 AM
heh.

BigRedJed
3/23/2007, 11:17 AM
If you want to hear some Lips-style guitar rock, move to the right on that audio player and listen to their early WB stuff, which bears little resemblance to post-Soft Bulletin stuff. They've gone through lots of changes through the years, and they change their sound to some extent, literally, with every album.

But if you want your ears to bleed, you need to let me burn you some of their old stuff, from when they were on Restless. It's puts the "****ing loud" in "****ing loud guitar rock."

C&CDean
3/23/2007, 11:21 AM
IN.

King Crimson
3/23/2007, 11:24 AM
her ya go Dean: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8eTGEgtu8ck

both worlds.

1stTimeCaller
3/23/2007, 11:29 AM
Well, the Lips pull off just about everything live that they do in the studio. They're super committed to the live experience. On one tour, they checked out special headphones to audiences at club shows, and played through the house's system AND broadcast on an FM signal for an enhanced experience.

But they also can play some pretty amazing acoustic stuff. There's a version of The Yeah Yeah Yeah Song with just Wayne and a piano that might just make you cry.

I wasn't dissing the Lips. Although we are talking about them I was thinking about Jack Ingram's new release. You can listen to the album here.
http://www.cmt.com/artists/az/ingram_jack/1486253/album.jhtml#

Too much production for my taste.

JohnnyMack
3/23/2007, 11:37 AM
I wasn't dissing the Lips. Although we are talking about them I was thinking about Jack Ingram's new release. You can listen to the album here.
http://www.cmt.com/artists/az/ingram_jack/1486253/album.jhtml#

Too much production for my taste.

Lots of artists fall into that trap. Go back and listen to the very first CD John Mayer put out (Inside Wants Out) and then listen to his first studio album (Room For Squares). Some of the same songs on both albums, but RFS is overproduced to ****. While with the first one, you got more of the raw sound. Anyways, maybe not the best example, but one that popped into my head. Flame. Away.

Oldnslo
3/23/2007, 11:37 AM
Um. In case anyone still cares about what the thread, you know, started out as, Cox Radio (at least in Tulsa on FM) won't air anything less than 196. 128 just ain't good enough.

Turd_Ferguson
3/23/2007, 11:48 AM
Um. In case anyone still cares about what the thread, you know, started out as, Cox Radio (at least in Tulsa on FM) won't air anything less than 196. 128 just ain't good enough.

You can do anything at zombo.com (http://www.zombo.com)

dolemitesooner
3/23/2007, 11:53 AM
IN.
I could get that stuff to you dean.

dolemitesooner
3/23/2007, 11:57 AM
Also while we are on the topics of concerts I have a question for everyone. I have had bad experenices at the last couple of concerts I have been too. The main reason this has happen is because some Dip**** named yermom wants to be on the floor and as close as possiable. At one concert I had to deal with some bitch trying to pick peoples pockets and the other I got kicked in the ****ing head by a crowd surfer.

When I go to a concert I go to listen to the music. Not to be packed in like a ****ing sardine in the middle of a bunch of idiots smelling like they have not taken a shower in weeks.

So I guess my question is do people on here like the sit / stand towrds the back and listen and have room to breath experience or the Sardine smelly *** dude up against me exp?

sooneron
3/23/2007, 12:10 PM
Also while we are on the topics of concerts I have a question for everyone. I have had bad experenices at the last couple of concerts I have been too. The main reason this has happen is because some Dip**** named yermom wants to be on the floor and as close as possiable. At one concert I had to deal with some bitch trying to pick peoples pockets and the other I got kicked in the ****ing head by a crowd surfer.

When I go to a concert I go to listen to the music. Not to be packed in like a ****ing sardine in the middle of a bunch of idiots smelling like they have not taken a shower in weeks.

So I guess my question is do people on here like the sit / stand towrds the back and listen and have room to breath experience or the Sardine smelly *** dude up against me exp?
Pre 30's the floor,
Now? a good view where I can hear the music mixed well.

1stTimeCaller
3/23/2007, 12:15 PM
Depends. If there is a guitarist I really like I'll get as close to his monitor as possible. If I want to hear the whole band i'll hang in the back for the reason sooneron said.

dolemitesooner
3/23/2007, 12:16 PM
Yermom just wants to get close for little girl reasons

1stTimeCaller
3/23/2007, 12:17 PM
does he throw his manties at the artists?

sooneron
3/23/2007, 12:20 PM
Depends. If there is a guitarist I really like I'll get as close to his monitor as possible. If I want to hear the whole band i'll hang in the back for the reason sooneron said.
Yeah, this is true. I remember getting so much more out of an Ian Moore show a LONG time ago when I was closer to the bad at Liberty D's.

sooner_born_1960
3/23/2007, 01:01 PM

We must have found the same torrent. That's the one I decided to give a listen to. Sorry, all you lips fans. I'm not all that impressed yet.

BigRedJed
3/23/2007, 01:35 PM
Well, they're definitely not everybody's cup of tea. I'm never shocked when someone doesn't "get" the Lips. Glad to hear Dean doesn't hate them, though. I frankly never thought he would dig them, so never bothered suggesting he listen to them. I do have some other bands that I'm pretty sure he will love, though. I'll be burning him some discs in short order.

OUTromBoNado
3/23/2007, 01:59 PM
it's still crappy 128k though...

what are the two programs?

Use this to convert the iTunes file to .m4a. Make sure you follow the instructions on installing. Check your version of iTunes and make sure that .cfg file is correct.
http://hymn-project.org/forums/viewtopic.php?p=9565

Then use JHymn to convert from .m4a to .mp3. You're done.
http://hymn-project.org/jhymndoc/
JHymn used to do it all for you, but the project was abandoned and quit working after iTunes 6.0.

I also run my new .mp3 files through MP3Gain to correct clipping and to normalize the highest decibel levels, so I'm not adjusting my speaker volume for every track, but that's just personal preference. I think the files sound pretty good when played through my car speaker or Creative Zen.

If you use Winamp or Quintessential Player, there's a cool program called iZotope Ozone that provides an awesome increase in sound quality. You can also do some cool tweaking. It costs money, but it's well worth it, especially if you listen to a lot of music on your computer like I do.

Petro-Sooner
3/23/2007, 02:21 PM
What is guitar hero? A video game of some sort?

sooneron
3/23/2007, 02:24 PM
What is guitar hero? A video game of some sort?
Yes, you get some rinky dink guitar that they made and try to "play" along with famous songs.

BlondeSoonerGirl
3/23/2007, 02:26 PM
I rock that game.

So hard.

BigRedJed
3/23/2007, 02:29 PM
..wha?

Petro-Sooner
3/23/2007, 02:35 PM
sweet. Whats the guitar set ya back?

sooneron
3/23/2007, 02:46 PM
http://www.guitarherogame.com/gh2/

yermom
3/23/2007, 05:54 PM
Use this to convert the iTunes file to .m4a. Make sure you follow the instructions on installing. Check your version of iTunes and make sure that .cfg file is correct.
http://hymn-project.org/forums/viewtopic.php?p=9565

Then use JHymn to convert from .m4a to .mp3. You're done.
http://hymn-project.org/jhymndoc/
JHymn used to do it all for you, but the project was abandoned and quit working after iTunes 6.0.

I also run my new .mp3 files through MP3Gain to correct clipping and to normalize the highest decibel levels, so I'm not adjusting my speaker volume for every track, but that's just personal preference. I think the files sound pretty good when played through my car speaker or Creative Zen.

If you use Winamp or Quintessential Player, there's a cool program called iZotope Ozone that provides an awesome increase in sound quality. You can also do some cool tweaking. It costs money, but it's well worth it, especially if you listen to a lot of music on your computer like I do.

interesting

i think iTunes will do step 2 for you, actually