PDA

View Full Version : What NOT to do when leaving a company

Chuck Bao
3/21/2007, 05:44 PM
If you join a rival company within a very small industry, don’t be annoyed that there isn’t a major going away party, no hugs and no miss you tears and such.

Don’t steal company property.

Don’t delete your work on the company computer’s hard drive and then delete the backup files. Your work output while employed belongs to the company. Really!

Don't EVAR call it your intellectual property. Intellectual seems stretching it a bit here.

Don’t lie about it and then dick around with your former boss about returning said deleted computer files. I'm not interested in just half the files. I'm not interested in all the files with the important bits deleted. I'm not interested that you lost your thumbdrive and can't return it. I'm not interested that you now have chest pains and can't talk any longer.

Don’t get mad when called on it.

Don’t be surprised if you get a very, very bad reference in the future.

Oh most importantly of all, don't make death threats in the office, EVAR. That could affect that reference bit, as well.

Besides that good luck in your new job. I know you'll need it.

mdklatt
3/21/2007, 05:50 PM
Every time Chuck Bao posts I get hungry for Thai food. :(

yermom
3/21/2007, 05:55 PM
mmm...Thai Food

Chuck Bao
3/21/2007, 05:57 PM
Alright, thread jack already. I might as well play along.

Last night I had:

Curry soft-shell crab
Pomelo, shrimp, peanut salad
Sun-dried duck with sesame seeds
Giant river prawns fried in garlic and chili

soonerboomer93
3/21/2007, 05:59 PM
I had a pita pocket last nigth

it was a hot dog wrapped in a tortilla :mad:

Fraggle145
3/21/2007, 06:05 PM
Last night I had a Buffalo Burger and a Grass fed Beef burger (one of my fellow grad students parents own a beef farm), whihc were damn good. Along with a 12pk of Miller High Life the Champagne of Beers.

TheUnnamedSooner
3/21/2007, 06:59 PM
last night I had Chili's

soonerboomer93
3/21/2007, 07:11 PM
I could really go for a burger right about now (a real one anyways)

I get king crab tonight

Rogue
3/21/2007, 07:20 PM
Every time Chuck Bao posts I think of hookers.

At any rate, if ex-employee does all that, are there legal consequences?

soonerboomer93
3/21/2007, 07:30 PM
In the US, depends on some factors.

Chucks in Thailand so their laws might be different

Widescreen
3/21/2007, 08:31 PM
Every time Chuck Bao posts, an angel gets his wings.

SicEmBaylor
3/21/2007, 10:21 PM
Alright, thread jack already. I might as well play along.

Last night I had:

Curry soft-shell crab
Pomelo, shrimp, peanut salad
Sun-dried duck with sesame seeds
Giant river prawns fried in garlic and chili

Is the messican food in Thailand any good?

TheHumanAlphabet
3/21/2007, 10:57 PM
I had Chinese in Korea...

Had burger for lunch, the mamasan was very friendly.

batonrougesooner
3/21/2007, 11:05 PM
Charles in Charge?

soonerboomer93
3/21/2007, 11:26 PM
I had Chinese in Korea...

Had burger for lunch, the mamasan was very friendly.

I have chinese here every couple weeks, the mondu can be good

They also have a chinese noodle with black bean sauce that kicks ***, but it's not really chinese they just call it that...

Chuck Bao
3/22/2007, 12:29 AM
So, I remind people of food and hookers? Actually, I'm quite okay with that.

Thailand does not have good messican food, but it has definitely improved with locally-grown avocados.

For my former employee, we worked out an arrangement. He returned everything.

Now about those hookers (preferably the non-dead type)...

Frozen Sooner
3/22/2007, 12:31 AM
Now about those hookers (preferably the non-dead type)...

They're all dead eventually, man.

Chuck Bao
3/22/2007, 12:38 AM
They're all dead eventually, man.

Yeah, but see I like the lively ones.

soonerboomer93
3/22/2007, 02:34 AM
you kill them afterwards, so you don't have to pay them

damn n00bs

Chuck Bao
4/9/2007, 07:29 AM
Okay, I admit I’m a noob when it comes to dead hookers. But, I get your point. Paying them for services rendered is illegal and killing them is also illegal. I get around that whole legality issue by donating money for their sick mother who needs immediate medical care. In other words, NOBODY needs to die!

I have a serious question for you guys. What would you consider to be the proper procedure for accepting and then rejecting job offers?

After dickweed left, I had to recruit a new banking analyst.

We recruited her from a rival broker and played it by the book.

We arranged three interviews with the last being with the company CEO.

The company CEO approved. We issued an offer letter and she signed the contract. She was quite happy with all of the terms and seemed eager to join my team after a one-month notice to her old company.

A week after signing the employment contract, she calls me to say that her old company had matched the offer and she has decided to stay with the old company.

I told her I was happy for her that I had played a part in her getting a very nice pay raise.

But after thinking about it, I’m a bit ****ed. It’s not so much that she changed her mind and won’t be joining my team, but I had already told all of the other candidates that the position was filled. Once the contract is signed, I think it’s only proper to inform the other candidates.

Now, I’m calling them all back and asking if they’re still interested. They now know that they weren’t my first choice. Also, the next best candidate has already found another new job.

If you were the one considering switching employers, which of the following would you do?

1) Go ahead and sign the employment contract with the new employer before submitting your resignation. That way you’re assured of a job at one of the two places.

2) Trust the new employer that a job offer is on the table with all of the terms as agreed. But, don’t formally accept the position until after submitting your resignation and seeing if there would be a counter offer.

I need to add that the employment contract states that there is a four-month probation period during which either party has the right to cancel the contract with a one-day notice. Would that make a difference in your choice of #1 or #2?

sooner_born_1960
4/9/2007, 09:14 AM
College coaches do this all the time.

Chuck Bao
4/9/2007, 09:24 AM
College coaches do this all the time.

Oh yeah! I'd forgotten about that. Third or fourth or fifth choice doesn't matter if the money is right, right?

That's always a good signal to the recruits.