PDA

View Full Version : ALLERGIES

TopDaugIn2000
3/21/2007, 01:10 PM
Is anyone else around here already having allergy trouble???? MY GOSH! I can't breathe and I'm sneezing CONSTANTLY. ARRRRRRRRGH. I guess it's from pollen. I'll go to the pharmacy later and get something, of course I'll have to give my freakin life history to get it thanks to the meth heads. :mad:

Anyone recommend a good OTC allergy med that WILL NOT make me sleepy???

StoopTroup
3/21/2007, 01:13 PM
OTC stuff is a waste of time IMO.

Go see a Doctor.

royalfan5
Claritin non-drowsy has always worked well for me.

sanantoniosooner
I've never had allergies, but I think I'm starting to develop some.

TopDaugIn2000
3/21/2007, 01:26 PM
I usually don't have much of a problem, but the past few days have been HORRIBLE

OUDoc
3/21/2007, 01:27 PM
Benadryl is the best, if you can stay awake.

TopDaugIn2000
3/21/2007, 01:30 PM
Benadryl is the best, if you can stay awake.

totally knocks me out for hours. I can only take that at night.

OUDoc
3/21/2007, 01:32 PM
totally knocks me out for hours. I can only take that at night.
Then probably Claritin is your best bet. After that, you would need prescription medications to do much good.

TopDaugIn2000
3/21/2007, 01:32 PM
thanks, I'll give it a try

Hamhock
3/21/2007, 01:36 PM
i've tried eleventy different allergy meds.

FloNase is the only thing that works for me.

Problem is that you can't take it symptomatically. You have to get on a regular routine for a few days before you notice any difference. Then you have to continue taking it even when you have no symptoms.

I used to sneeze, literally, 10-15 times in a row, several times an hour while outside. When my eyes, ears and throat became unbearable, i'd take a benadryl and it was night night time for a few hours.

Not anymore. Flonase, I love you.

TopDaugIn2000
3/21/2007, 01:40 PM
my mom is on several different Rx allergie meds, I don't want to get to that point. ugh. poor Mom.

Fraggle145
3/21/2007, 02:03 PM
Claritin D the OTC behind the counter... that stuff works great for me.

MamaMia
3/21/2007, 05:05 PM
My allergies have been so bad lately that I've been having to sleep propped up on a couple of pillows so I don't choke to death.

yermom
3/21/2007, 05:36 PM
come to think of it, i haven't seen the Allergy Twins around much lately

proud gonzo
3/22/2007, 09:07 PM
GHP's in NJ (NYC today) and I was in Wichita.

and what do you mean "poor mom" having to take allergy medicines every day? I freaking LOVE my allergy medicine--i've been taking it every day for 10 years. it keeps me from sneezing and itching to death. fexofenadine = awesome. NasacortAQ is also pretty good stuff (nose spray).

bluedogok
3/22/2007, 09:52 PM
i've tried eleventy different allergy meds.

FloNase is the only thing that works for me.

Problem is that you can't take it symptomatically. You have to get on a regular routine for a few days before you notice any difference. Then you have to continue taking it even when you have no symptoms.

I used to sneeze, literally, 10-15 times in a row, several times an hour while outside. When my eyes, ears and throat became unbearable, i'd take a benadryl and it was night night time for a few hours.

Not anymore. Flonase, I love you.
I have been through the same thing, except even Flonase quit working after a few months just like everything else (Claritin, Allegra, Zyrtec, Nasonex, etc). Everything worked that way for me, for 4-6 months they worked great but then quit being effective. I never had allergies until I my late 20's and my dad developed them about the same time that I did, the year, not age.

I would get horrible sinus headaches and sinus infections a few times a year when I lived in OKC, when I first moved to Austin my allergies weren't too bad at first but they are about the same now except I only get 1 or 2 sinus infections a year.

The best thing that I have found is OTC Aleve Cold/Sinus, it contains 120mg of extended-release psuedophedrine along with a dosage of Aleve. I have not found any other psuedophedrine product with that formulation alone. The only thing close is the prescription version of Mucinex-D, the OTC Mucinex-D has guaifenesin and 60mg of extended-release psuedophedrine instead of the 120mg that the prescription version has. That is the only prescription that I use anymore and only when the sinus headaches are real bad. I pretty much stick to the Aleve Cold/Sinus.

proud gonzo
3/22/2007, 11:06 PM
allergy shots are great too

Hamhock
3/23/2007, 07:40 AM
allergy shots are great too

7 shots per week for 5 years.

nuthin'.

although the trip to Goddard did help during Hell week.

TopDaugIn2000
3/23/2007, 07:44 AM
holy hell. guess I should quit my bitchin about a few sneezes and a snotty nose then.

proud gonzo
3/23/2007, 04:25 PM
7 shots per week for 5 years.

nuthin'.

although the trip to Goddard did help during Hell week.how long ago? they've really improved the allergy serum.

C&CDean
3/23/2007, 04:34 PM
I always wonder what you people who suffer from allergies did wrong to deserve that ****. It musta been really, really bad.

I'm allergic to one thing (that I know of) - pennecillin. **** will kill me deader than dead. I spent a couple weeks in Balboa Naval Hospital back in the early 70's on an IV drip of Benadryl because I was swelling up so bad after having mega-doses of the stuff (pennecillin) given to me IV after a staph infection in my hand.

I probably don't sneeze 20 times a year, and have never sneezed consecutively for more than 3 sneezes (and have only done 3 maybe a couple times in my life). And I work in the woods/grassland every afternoon and all weekend long. Oak, elm, bermuda, fescue, poison ivy/oak, you name it. Guess I was a good boy while y'all sufferers were bad...

DustySooner
3/23/2007, 04:57 PM
Yeah my allergies have been kick my arse, and I don't usually have allergies. I checked the weather service, and it shows the pollen and mold for trees off the friggin charts, while the other pollens like grass, weeds, and spores are virtually nonexisting. So if you are even a tiny bit allergic to trees around here you are going to have bad allergies for a bit.