PDA

View Full Version : What would you do?

crawfish
3/21/2007, 09:20 AM
So, I'm opening my mail yesterday...open one and there is a notice of insufficient funds, and a rather embarrassing warning about it being the last notice. I didn't have a credit card from this bank; turned it over, and it was addressed to a neighbor, just accidentally placed in my mailbox.

The envelope is toast...no way to tape it up where it's not obviously been opened. I don't want to embarrass the neighbor by just handing it to them. I don't want to be arrested by the postal inspectors because I opened up somebody else's mail. ;)

I'm thinking of just shredding it.

Tailwind
3/21/2007, 09:22 AM
Bad kharma, dude.

JohnnyMack
3/21/2007, 09:23 AM
Stick it in their mailbox at 3 A.M.

sanantoniosooner
3/21/2007, 09:24 AM
Leave it in the mailbox with a note, made of cut out letters from a magazine, saying it was accidentally opened since it was mixed in with your mail.

C&CDean
3/21/2007, 09:24 AM
Tape it to the outside of their mailbox.

IB4OU2
3/21/2007, 09:31 AM
Pay it for them...be a good neighbor.

crawfish
3/21/2007, 09:33 AM
Should I let the other neighbors see it first?

Really, it's amazing what people will get themselves into. Their house is tax-appraised at about $450K.

sanantoniosooner
3/21/2007, 09:35 AM

Really, it's amazing what people will get themselves into. Their house is tax-appraised at about $450K.
Round about way of telling us the fancy neighborhood you live in.

You're as bad as Andy:D

sooner_born_1960
3/21/2007, 09:36 AM
Of course it's the last notice. The neighbors keep getting their bills. Just give it to your neighbor and explain what happened.
Be sure and lay the blame squarely on the postel service.

Hamhock
3/21/2007, 09:37 AM
publish it in the local Legal News as lost mail.

C&CDean
3/21/2007, 09:38 AM

In my life experience I've learned one or two very valuable things.

1. When you work for people in fancy houses always demand cash up front. Most of them are so over-financed they couldn't rub 2 nickels together. They'll usually go "oh, well let me get back with you." ****ers never pay up.

2. Never trust horse people. People who own/love/raise horses ain't worth a plug nickel. I've had horse people stiff me on a $40 rick of wood. I've had them stiff me on a $30 bale of hay. And they're always driving a $60K diesel rig with a $175K 6-horse aluminum slant with an apartment up front. They couldn't reach into their pocket and pull out a $20. Their rig is running on fumes. P'sOS.

crawfish
3/21/2007, 09:39 AM
Round about way of telling us the fancy neighborhood you live in.

You're as bad as Andy:D

I'm on the low end. :)

The home values have skyrocketed since I moved in. Got a GREAT deal on my house.

JohnnyMack
3/21/2007, 09:39 AM
In all seriousness what you should do is come over to my house and put it in the R2-D2 mailbox I have in my garage. I "borrowed" it for a while.

MamaMia
3/21/2007, 09:50 AM
I would put the bill in a new envelope and type a note saying that as a result of their mail being delivered to your house, it was opened. To save any possible embarrassment on their part, I wouldn't sign it. Then just secretly put it in their mailbox.

C&CDean
3/21/2007, 09:51 AM
I would put the bill in a new envelope and type a note saying that as a result of their mail being delivered to your house, it was opened. To save any possible embarrassment on their part, I wouldn't sign it. Then just secretly put it in their mailbox.

It's a federal offense to put something into someone's mailbox.

Hot Rod
3/21/2007, 09:51 AM
So, is this a next door neighbor, or a neighbor on another street? I didn't know if this was a neighbor that you knew.

sooner_born_1960
3/21/2007, 09:53 AM
That's why she said "secretly".

C&CDean
3/21/2007, 09:55 AM
That's why she said "secretly".

Oh, like I'm gonna risk it for some deadbeat neighbors?

mdklatt
3/21/2007, 09:56 AM
Just say that you noticed the envelope wasn't addressed to you while you were opening it. You don't have to say you read the letter.

mdklatt
3/21/2007, 09:57 AM

There's a 1stTimeCaller joke here somewhere.

Hot Rod
3/21/2007, 09:59 AM
Just say that you noticed the envelope wasn't addressed to you while you were opening it. You don't have to say you read the letter.

That would be my suggestion as well. Hopefully, you can put the contents back in the envelope as they were.

sooner_born_1960
3/21/2007, 10:02 AM
Dean, I know this is a pathetic waiste of time, but I couldn't find anything in the U.S. Code that prohibits putting mail in a mailbox. Could you supply a link?

sanantoniosooner
3/21/2007, 10:04 AM
Dean, I know this is a pathetic waiste of time, but I couldn't find anything in the U.S. Code that prohibits putting mail in a mailbox. Could you supply a link?
sure he will.

It's the ONLY law he cares about.:D

crawfish
3/21/2007, 10:05 AM

My street is like Cliff Claven's...everybody goes through their mail and puts the mistakes in the right mailbox (if near).

I shouldn't have missed it...I fully expect to get other people's mail, and to have mine delivered elsewhere. I'd complain to the post office, but they never answer their phone. :mad:

C&CDean
3/21/2007, 10:05 AM

Well I would, but I'm way too overcome with emotion after watching AI last night.

yermom
3/21/2007, 10:06 AM
In all seriousness what you should do is come over to my house and put it in the R2-D2 mailbox I have in my garage. I "borrowed" it for a while.

it's a good thing me and/or Dean don't know where you live :D

sooner_born_1960
3/21/2007, 10:10 AM
WTF does artificial intelligence have to do with anything?

MamaMia
3/21/2007, 10:10 AM
It's a federal offense to put something into someone's mailbox. Oh really? The mailmen and mailwomen do it all the time. :P

JohnnyMack
3/21/2007, 10:13 AM
it's a good thing me and/or Dean don't know where you live :D

If I told you where I lived you'd steal it from me.

If I told :dean: where I lived he'd have me locked up.

I ain't talkin'.

Sooner_Bob
3/21/2007, 10:42 AM

Sheesh . . . now I'm a felon.

yermom
3/21/2007, 10:43 AM
If I told you where I lived you'd steal it from me.

If I told :dean: where I lived he'd have me locked up.

I ain't talkin'.

thanks for explaining my joke ;)

Soonrboy
3/21/2007, 01:38 PM
Shred it...if it's the final notice, they've gotten plenty of other ones.

Petro-Sooner
3/21/2007, 01:45 PM
Not to jack the thread but what kind of work are you in Dean? I take it it has to do something with the postal service?

Hamhock
3/21/2007, 01:47 PM
Dean is the postal service.

mdklatt
3/21/2007, 01:51 PM
Not to jack the thread but what kind of work are you in Dean? I take it it has to do something with the postal service?

Every time I see Dean I think to myself "Hello, Newman". :D

Petro-Sooner
3/21/2007, 01:55 PM
I always wondered cause of all his trips to Maryland.

mdklatt
3/21/2007, 02:07 PM
I always wondered cause of all his trips to Maryland.

He's taking all of his soda cans and bottles there to collect the deposit. It's free money because we don't have a deposit.

'Don't watch Seinfeld'...whatever, VK.

Petro-Sooner
3/21/2007, 02:13 PM
Ahhhh, cause its double the money there compared to other states. Riiiight.

Paperclip
3/21/2007, 02:35 PM
TITLE 18 > PART I > CHAPTER 83 > § 1725

§ 1725. Postage unpaid on deposited mail matter

Whoever knowingly and willfully deposits any mailable matter such as statements of accounts, circulars, sale bills, or other like matter, on which no postage has been paid, in any letter box established, approved, or accepted by the Postal Service for the receipt or delivery of mail matter on any mail route with intent to avoid payment of lawful postage thereon, shall for each such offense be fined under this title.

Link (http://www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/html/uscode18/usc_sec_18_00001725----000-.html)

This leads me to believe that it is not illegal to put something in your neighbor's mailbox that was delivered to you in error. However, if you wanted to mail your neighbor a letter and just put it in his mailbox unstamped, that would be illegal. Additionally, if you put a stamp on a letter to your neighbor and put it in his mailbox then that would seem to be ok, as I read this.

TUSooner
3/21/2007, 02:36 PM
Dean is the postal service.
HAWWW!! Dean's just a big ol' gay poser, we all know. He's salivating & getting woody at the thought of seeing "300" in the privacy of his own home.

He finagled a couple of college degrees out of the USPS and now he just goes on expensive junkets & drinks other peoples' whisky, or he sits in the A/C, sipping coffee with the shirts and ties and tells BS stories about the 82nd Airborne Fairy Chorus and the Deanderosa. Bughhhhh!!
I, on the other hand have actually been on the dangerous and exciting "sharp end" of the postal service, delivering the mail (junk & all) despite floods, dog stampedes, ice, snow, and attacks by a goat and a nutria. I've never heard of anybody being arrested for putting somebody's mail into the correct box. (Hell, the Cliffs and Newmans of the world don't do it, so somebody has to!). But here's what I'd do, if I thought Dean might be staking out my neighborhood:

Tape the letter up as best as you can, print "opened by mistake" on it (no more - no less), and drop it in a collection box. It will get delivered the next day or so.

YWIA!

mdklatt
3/21/2007, 02:41 PM
I've got a question for Dean and/or TUSOoner. I've always wanted to try this (but am too much of a wimp):

What's to stop me from sending a letter without postage by putting my address as the send-to address and the place I want it to go as the return address?

Hamhock
3/21/2007, 02:44 PM
I've got a question for Dean and/or TUSOoner. I've always wanted to try this (but am too much of a wimp):

What's to stop me from sending a letter without postage by putting my address as the send-to address and the place I want it to go as the return address?

i know a guy that was very drunk at a party. He walked down the street to dominoes and ordered a pizza delivered to his house and hitched a ride with the guy.

i've wondered the stamp thing myself.

TUSooner
3/21/2007, 02:45 PM

It will go to the bogus send-to address, postage due. :)
EDIT: You'll have to pay to get it back, and maybe even go to the post office to do it. THEN you'll have to resend it the right way and pay additional postage like you should have done in the first place. Or Dean will find out and rip your wanker off. (He may be ga-ay, but he's clever and mean!) :D

Hamhock
3/21/2007, 02:45 PM

I didn't know TUSooner was a mailman too??

TUSooner
3/21/2007, 02:52 PM
I didn't know TUSooner was a mailman too??

For 11 years, hammy. But now I'm a lawyer.
I'm still trying to figure out how I went so wrong...

soonersweetie
3/21/2007, 02:58 PM
In my life experience I've learned one or two very valuable things.

2. Never trust horse people. People who own/love/raise horses ain't worth a plug nickel. I've had horse people stiff me on a $40 rick of wood. I've had them stiff me on a $30 bale of hay. And they're always driving a $60K diesel rig with a $175K 6-horse aluminum slant with an apartment up front. They couldn't reach into their pocket and pull out a $20. Their rig is running on fumes. P'sOS.

Ya know you're right. A year or so ago we bought a horse for our daughter and shortly found out it's not our cup of tea so we sold it. However, we still had the corral for it. Our new neighbor moved in back in September and asked us how much we were selling it for. Since they just moved in and were getting settled, we agreed to give them some time to get us the money. It is now March and zip, nada, no money. We are getting the corral back and selling it to whomever now. He acknowledged that he has no money and has no problem giving it back. What I don't understand is he had to sell his truck, can't afford the corral, and has other bill collector's knocking on his door but he won't get rid of the horses. Go figure. Some people just make no sense.

mdklatt
3/21/2007, 02:58 PM
It will go to the bogus send-to address, postage due. :)

That's what I was thinking, but that's not what happens if I legitimately forget to put on a stamp is it? Doesn't it end up back in my mailbox? Does the mailman have to pick it up if there's no stamp on it or does he just leave it in the box?

My mom sent me a birthday package once that had insufficient postage, so I had to pay the balance. Gee, Mom, thanks for the card. :D

TUSooner
3/21/2007, 03:03 PM
That's what I was thinking, but that's not what happens if I legitimately forget to put on a stamp is it? Doesn't it end up back in my mailbox? Does the mailman have to pick it up if there's no stamp on it or does he just leave it in the box?

My mom sent me a birthday package once that had insufficient postage, so I had to pay the balance. Gee, Mom, thanks for the card. :D
If your mailman is smart at all, he will just leave it there. Actually, I never figured out when and why a letter would be "returned for postage," but I did see many, many "postage due" letters.

sooner_born_1960
3/21/2007, 03:06 PM
Actually, I never figured out when and why a letter would be "returned for postage.
They don't teach you that til the 12th year.