PDA

View Full Version : the snakes are out

picasso
3/21/2007, 09:00 AM
I nearly stepped on a 6ft. bull snake last night by the garage, whilst shooting hoops.

didn't wet myself but I did curse aloud.

colleyvillesooner
3/21/2007, 09:02 AM
Okay now tell the real story:

I nearly stepped on a 1 Ft. Grass Snake by the garage, whilst playing jacks.

Yes, I wet myself.

picasso
3/21/2007, 09:04 AM
Okay now tell the real story:

I nearly stepped on a 1 Ft. Grass Snake by the garage, whilst playing jacks.

Yes, I wet myself.
now even one of those would get me to jump about 10 feet backwards. it ain't play time where we live, my bro found a rattler in the flowers last spring.

colleyvillesooner
3/21/2007, 09:04 AM
just in case you ever invite me to your house, mark me down for an "out"

picasso
3/21/2007, 09:06 AM
just in case you ever invite me to your house, mark me down for an "out"
can't be any scarier than a metroplex cockahroach.

colleyvillesooner
3/21/2007, 09:07 AM

Saw one so big the day I moved out of my last apartment, I left him the keys.

C&CDean
3/21/2007, 09:07 AM
We've got lots of rabbits under one of the sheds. When we have lots of rabbits under there it always brings in lots of copperheads. I've caught 7 in one evening coming out from under the shed. I've probably caught 25-30 over the past 3 years. I don't scream or **** myself though. Snakes are my friend.

JohnnyMack
3/21/2007, 09:26 AM
Snakes are my friend.

I don't like you. At all.

IB4OU2
3/21/2007, 09:27 AM
We've got lots of rabbits under one of the sheds. When we have lots of rabbits under there it always brings in lots of copperheads. I've caught 7 in one evening coming out from under the shed. I've probably caught 25-30 over the past 3 years. I don't scream or **** myself though. Snakes are my friend.

What were you doing under the shed?

C&CDean
3/21/2007, 09:30 AM
What were you doing under the shed?

We sit on the porch in the evening with a pair of binoculars. Right about dark they start poking their heads out. We wait until they completely clear the shed, then dash out and grab them and put them in 5-gallon buckets. Momma does draw the line though when I've brought the buckets in the house.

picasso
3/21/2007, 09:38 AM
Dean, do you have one of those pole with the loop on the end snake catching type things?
we've got some friends who own oil leases who catch all kinds on the job with those. they used to keep them in an old storage tank.

C&CDean
3/21/2007, 09:41 AM
Dean, do you have one of those pole with the loop on the end snake catching type things?
we've got some friends who own oil leases who catch all kinds on the job with those. they used to keep them in an old storage tank.

I usually just grab them ala Steve Irwin. It's quicker. I do have a stick with a handle and a set of pinchers on the end that I'll grab over-aggressive snakes with. I don't like it though cause it tears up their hide a little.

If you grab em' real quick by the tail and flip them into the bucket it works pretty good. You've gotta be quick though cause those bastards will try to flip around and bite you on the arm.

sanantoniosooner
3/21/2007, 09:42 AM
We sit on the porch in the evening with a pair of binoculars. Right about dark they start poking their heads out. We wait until they completely clear the shed, then dash out and grab them and put them in 5-gallon buckets.
That's the life.

Watching American Idol would only cut into quality time like this.:D

C&CDean
3/21/2007, 09:46 AM
That's the life.

Watching American Idol would only cut into quality time like this.:D

Well, yeah. DOH. Any 9-year old colored would know that.

colleyvillesooner
3/21/2007, 10:08 AM
What do you do with them?

sanantoniosooner
3/21/2007, 10:12 AM

Snakes are my friend.
He dresses them up in doll outfits.

C&CDean
3/21/2007, 10:12 AM

I've got a friend who does hatbands, belts, etc. He usually does rattlesnakes, but he has been trying to come up with a way to "tan" a copperhead hide so it doesn't fall apart. Unlike rattlers, copperheads have a much softer/smoother skin. When you tack it on a board it looks great. After it starts to dry it becomes so brittle you can't handle it. He's working on a concoction of chemicals that will preserve the hide for sewing into belts/bands. I'm contributing to scientific research.

C&CDean
3/21/2007, 10:13 AM
He teaches his kids about them.

As opposed to teaching them about jiggly tits on AI and the sexual habits of Puerto Ricans.

MamaMia
3/21/2007, 10:18 AM
I saw a fly too and the doggy groomer lady said she saw her first tic on a dog the other day. Yes, Spring has definitely sprung. :D

C&CDean
3/21/2007, 10:20 AM
I saw a fly too and the doggy groomer lady said she saw her first tic on a dog the other day. Yes, Spring has definitely sprung. :D

Yup. The cows are starting to get flies, and the dogs and the kids have come in with ticks. Starting to see more skunks too.

usmc-sooner
3/21/2007, 10:23 AM
no matter where I was at, I hated sleeping in foxholes. I used to have a fear of a snake dropping on top of me.

IB4OU2
3/21/2007, 10:24 AM
Yup. The cows are starting to get flies, and the dogs and the kids have come in with ticks. Starting to see more skunks too.

The tree frogs are croakin' and the catfish are jumpin'

colleyvillesooner
3/21/2007, 10:48 AM
I've got a friend who does hatbands, belts, etc. He usually does rattlesnakes, but he has been trying to come up with a way to "tan" a copperhead hide so it doesn't fall apart. Unlike rattlers, copperheads have a much softer/smoother skin. When you tack it on a board it looks great. After it starts to dry it becomes so brittle you can't handle it. He's working on a concoction of chemicals that will preserve the hide for sewing into belts/bands. I'm contributing to scientific research.

How do you go about killing them?

BlondeSoonerGirl
3/21/2007, 10:54 AM
On my way to work this morning, between 59th and I-240 on Sooner, about 6 GINORMOUS turkeys ran across the road.

They screwed traffic up pretty good. If I had hit one, it would have messed my car up. They were that big.

:les: UGLY!!!

JohnnyMack
3/21/2007, 10:59 AM
On my way to work this morning, between 59th and I-240 on Sooner, about 6 GINORMOUS tukeys ran across the road.

They screwed traffic up pretty good. If I had hit one, it would have messed my car up. They were that big.

:les: UGLY!!!

It's reasons exactly such as those that I always carry a loaf of bread and jar of miracle whip in the glovebox of my Camry.

olevetonahill
3/21/2007, 11:01 AM
What are " Tukeys" ? :confused:

BlondeSoonerGirl
3/21/2007, 11:02 AM
I have no idea what you're talking about.

:D

olevetonahill
3/21/2007, 11:07 AM
I have no idea what you're talking about.

If you catch one . Ill trade you a hicken for it . ;)

BlondeSoonerGirl
3/21/2007, 11:10 AM

SoonerStormchaser
3/21/2007, 11:37 AM
I saw the thread title and thought this would be about exhibitionism. After reading about Dean's adventures, I wish it was.

mxATVracer10
3/21/2007, 11:53 AM
I guess as long as your catchin 'em to kill 'em, it sounds good to me....

StoopTroup
3/21/2007, 01:48 PM
I never knew copperhead skin was so fragile.

What about cottonmouths?

http://oksnakes.org/admin/photogallery/images/cottonmouth%205.jpg

BlondeSoonerGirl
3/21/2007, 01:49 PM
Oh, jebus...

Mjcpr
3/21/2007, 01:57 PM
We sit on the porch in the evening with a pair of binoculars. Right about dark they start poking their heads out. We wait until they completely clear the shed, then dash out and grab them and put them in 5-gallon buckets. Momma does draw the line though when I've brought the buckets in the house.

Gentlemen.....start your whacking!!

http://www.diyplanner.com/files/180px-Simpsons_-_Nixon_Whacking_Day.jpg

Fraggle145
3/21/2007, 02:00 PM
I never knew copperhead skin was so fragile.

What about cottonmouths?

http://oksnakes.org/admin/photogallery/images/cottonmouth%205.jpg

Probably similiar since they are closely related evolutionarily... I think they are in the same Genus

BlondeSoonerGirl
3/21/2007, 02:03 PM
His breathing tube is bothering me.

soonersweetie
3/21/2007, 03:10 PM
that scares the crap outta me. I can handle bull snakes, gopher snakes and other harmless snakes. But those rattlers, cottonmouths and copperheads freak me out.

Oh, is the cottonmouth the same thing as a water moccasin? I get those confused.

NormanPride
3/21/2007, 03:28 PM
I heard about a guy that was on a hiking trip, caught a rattlesnake and threw it in the cooler with the beers and sammiches. Then when his friend showed up, he acted like he was gonna get a beer for the friend and threw the snake at him instead. Friend about **** himself, but since the snake was so cold it just kind of sat there for awhile.

I don't want friends like that. :(

mdklatt
3/21/2007, 04:05 PM

I think you mean Houston cockroach.

Fraggle145
3/21/2007, 04:25 PM
that scares the crap outta me. I can handle bull snakes, gopher snakes and other harmless snakes. But those rattlers, cottonmouths and copperheads freak me out.

Oh, is the cottonmouth the same thing as a water moccasin? I get those confused.

yup they are the same.