PDA

View Full Version : Last night on the Billy Tubbs radio show on WWLS...

SoonerShark
3/20/2007, 10:30 PM
he said that Kevin Durant would take a pay cut to go pro but that him going pro would get UT under the salary cap. I often wondered why any great basketball player would to to Texas...or Stillwater for that matter. Billy was hilarious.

When OU was accused of trying to pay a football player in 1988, the player was Hart Lee Dykes, a receiver.

Q. Why would wishbone era Oklahoma try to buy a wide receiver?

A. It would not.

TopDawg
3/20/2007, 10:32 PM

A. It would not.

Another A: To keep him off the opponents' teams.

Before scholarship limits our recruiting strategy was: "It's better to have him sitting on our bench than suiting up for the other team."

But that Durant thing is funny. I love listening to Tubbs.

SoonerShark
3/20/2007, 10:37 PM
Another A: To keep him off the opponents' teams.

Before scholarship limits our recruiting strategy was: "It's better to have him sitting on our bench than suiting up for the other team."

But that Durant thing is funny. I love listening to Tubbs.

One wide receiver would make no real difference on OSU's 1980's teams and we did not play against A&M, another Dyke's casualty, in the 80s. Regardless, if we were buying something, we would buy a QB or RB. We must not have been paying them or our 1988 QB would not have been selling dope, as if that is any great defense for us. Didn't UT have a football player with a bunch of dope on his person or surrounding area this past year?

TopDawg
3/20/2007, 10:56 PM
One wide receiver would make no real difference on OSU's 1980's teams

Are you saying Hart Lee Dykes didn't make a real difference at OSU?

I'm not saying we WERE paying players (or offering to) I'm just saying that there are potential reasons that even a wishbone team would do it.

OSUAggie
3/21/2007, 12:00 AM

A. It would not.

So... You're saying you didn't try to buy Dykes?

Harry Beanbag
3/21/2007, 06:20 AM
The Texas basketball program is as dirty as the USC football program.

crawfish
3/21/2007, 07:35 AM

It's always seemed a bit silly, that knowing that OSU offered Dykes 10K we offer him 1K.

We'd never win championships with penny-ante cheating like that. :)

King Crimson
3/21/2007, 07:36 AM
don't try and tell any UT fan they are dirty....because everyone else is trying to keep up with Texas. that's what ended the SWC, ya know, teams cheating because they dreamed of keeping up with Texas.

rah rah rah.

SoonerStormchaser
3/21/2007, 08:24 AM
The Texas basketball program is as dirty as the USC football program.

I don't doubt it Harry, but can you back that first part up?

fwsooner22
3/21/2007, 08:55 AM

How's your basketball team doing in the tournament.....Oh yeah....

Dykes ended up at OSU which means you all paid the most...........How obvious is that. Why would you even want to show your face in this thread. That's just not very smart. Oh Yeah.......

Everybody tried to buy Dykes.....because he let it be known that he was "for sale"......He ended up where he needed to be.....He also got what he deserved.....

The greatest receiver and the greatest QB in the history of OSU football couldn't beat OU. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA......Go watch the Youtube and watch your guys choke that game away........:D :D :D

OhU1
3/21/2007, 09:15 AM
The greatest receiver and the greatest QB in the history of OSU football couldn't beat OU. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA......Go watch the Youtube and watch your guys choke that game away........:D :D :D

You forgot something big here - and arguably the best running back in the history of football Barry Sanders could not beat OU.

Regarding who paid for players in the 80's nothing would surprise me. Switzer and slick Willie were 2 Arkansas peas in a pod. Could have been brothers.

PrideTrombone
3/21/2007, 09:54 AM
One of my favorite Switzer quotes...

"Best running backs I've ever seen were Thurman Thomas and Barry Sanders at OSU. Know what they both have in common?"

"What?"

"Never beat my ***."

Rhino
3/21/2007, 11:13 AM
How's your basketball team doing in the tournament.....Oh yeah.... Don't...*sigh*...don't do that.

We have no room to talk.

soonervegas
3/21/2007, 11:23 AM
Do OU fans still walk through this world thinking Switzer didn't cheat?

Wow.

OSUAggie
3/21/2007, 11:28 AM
How's your basketball team doing in the tournament.....Oh yeah....

Dykes ended up at OSU which means you all paid the most...........How obvious is that. Why would you even want to show your face in this thread. That's just not very smart. Oh Yeah.......

Everybody tried to buy Dykes.....because he let it be known that he was "for sale"......He ended up where he needed to be.....He also got what he deserved.....

I don't have a problem admitting that my school cheated, might still cheat, and probably will always cheat, so showing up in a Dykes thread isn't really that big of a deal to me. Some of you, for whatever reason, try to hide from the fact that your school has been a pretty renegade program in the past (and based on the appearance in April, still is). Those that claim you didn't try to buy Dykes are in denial or are completely ignorant. The fact that you didn't get him shows that even when you're cheating you do it with arrogance. ;) You did manage to get Billy Dykes, though!

And, my basketball team managed to finish more than 1 game above .500. Your team, on the other hand, did not.

soonervegas
3/21/2007, 11:42 AM
and based on the appearance in April, still is

Are you talking about basketball or football? If it is Football....you should be banned due to complete and utter ignorance.

OSUAggie
3/21/2007, 11:46 AM
Talking about all that apply.... Football appears to apply.

Pricetag
3/21/2007, 12:35 PM
Talking about all that apply.... Football appears to apply, in my wet dreams.
Fixed that.

OSUAggie
3/21/2007, 12:41 PM
So the infractions committee isn't meeting with OU brass about anything regarding football? They just decided that it'd been a year or so since they'd seen Joey C and his posse so they needed to have lunch, but this time they wanted Bob to come with him?

fwsooner22
3/21/2007, 01:32 PM
So the infractions committee isn't meeting with OU brass about anything regarding football? They just decided that it'd been a year or so since they'd seen Joey C and his posse so they needed to have lunch, but this time they wanted Bob to come with him?

Why did you go to Aggie U????? You appear to have serious regrets......You can still start over in Norman.....none of your classes will transfer but it will be good for you and your chip on your shoulder......

If OSU owned OU the way we own you.....You would have nothing to do with us.....it would be a waste of your time.......right???? That's how we feel when we see your posts..........waste of time.........:cool: :cool:

NormanPride
3/21/2007, 03:37 PM
Who's the mod in this board? Can we kill this POS yet?

fwsooner22
3/21/2007, 03:56 PM
I think OSU Aggie might be a mod plant......to keep the posts flowing......nobody could be that ignorant.

Frozen Sooner
3/21/2007, 04:03 PM
Who's the mod in this board? Can we kill this POS yet?

I'm one of them.

I don't see anything particularly out of line with OSUAggie's posts right now. As it happens, we do have an NCAA infraction investigation going on in football right now. Obviously, we think it's not that serious and it was handled appropriately. Simply mentioning it and that it gives an appearance of impropriety isn't grounds for a banning, considering OSUAggie's normally cordial posting history.

NormanPride
3/21/2007, 04:07 PM
No, I think it needs to be moved to the football forum unless it takes a sharp U-turn towards our basketball infractions. :P

I'm just tired of seeing people flame endlessly about this stuff. Nobody knows anything, and it just makes everyone mad.

SleestakSooner
3/21/2007, 04:11 PM
He is insinuating that the OU program or coaches were cheating and that is why we are being investigated.

In fact it was one of the local Sooner boosters that committed the infractions and caused this problem. I don't believe the staff was aware of this.

If DOH!mar was lead to this slaughter don't you guys think he'd be screaming his fool head off and pointing fingers like a mad man?

Harry Beanbag
3/21/2007, 05:06 PM
I don't doubt it Harry, but can you back that first part up?

Of course nothing concrete. I've heard rumors from multiple sources for multiple years now, eventually you start to believe it. Texas does an outstanding job of hiding that kind of thing.