PDA

View Full Version : Congrats to the OCU Stars, 2007 NAIA Men's Basketball Champs.

SoonerShark
3/20/2007, 10:21 PM
They just won the championship game in KC, defeating a team that went four overtimes in the semifinals last night. Oklahoma City defeated Concordia, 79-71.

Paperclip
3/20/2007, 10:22 PM
I guess I wasn't the only one following that game. The Evil Empire strikes again.

SoonerShark
3/20/2007, 10:24 PM
I always follow the Oklahoma teams in whatever post-season tournaments they find themselves in. It's not like they are UT and pay their players at OCU.

Paperclip
3/20/2007, 10:26 PM
I always follow the Oklahoma teams in whatever post-season tournaments they find themselves in. It's not like they are UT and pay their players at OCU.

I wouldn't be so sure. Ray Harper left his last job after he got his team on probation.

SoonerShark
3/20/2007, 10:32 PM
I wouldn't be so sure. Ray Harper left his last job after he got his team on probation.

How much could they pay them? The NAIA does not have NCAA dollars.

Paperclip
3/20/2007, 10:36 PM
Actually, OCU usually fills their roster with D1 washouts. They must have some creative academic counselors.

Soonerus
3/20/2007, 10:38 PM
Congrats OU, I mean OCU !!!!

SoonerShark
3/20/2007, 10:39 PM
OCU wins 5th national championship

By Ryan Aber
Staff Writer

KANSAS CITY, Mo. — The title game didn't need four overtimes to be thrilling for Oklahoma City University.

The Stars won their fifth national championship Tuesday night, beating Concordia (Calif.) 79-71 at Municipal Auditorium in front of 3,897.

OCU (35-2) took advantage of the Eagles' tired legs, after Concordia needed 60 minutes the night before to knock off No. 1 Robert Morris the night before.

Concordia came out firing, showing no ill effects from the long game. The Eagles (31-7) hit six 3-pointers in the first eight minutes, but missed 18 consecutive shots from behind the line to end the game

The Stars, however, didn't do much from outside, instead forcing things inside on the Eagles.

It worked, with OCU shooting 56 percent from the field. The Stars were 3 of 6 on 3-pointers.

Willie Irick and Duane John did the work down low, with Irick turning in a team-high 17 points and John adding 12.

OCU's guards, Kameron Gray and Nick Covington, combined for 24 points and 15 assists. Covington also added five steals.

Gray was named the tournament's most valuable player. Irick also made the team.

It was Oklahoma City's first title since 1996 and fifth overall. The Stars also won in 1991, 1992 and 1994.

Concordia was searching for its second title. The Eagles won in 2003 and lost to Mountain State in the 2004 championship game.

The Stars lost a heartbreaker in the championship game a season ago, falling to Texas Wesleyan 67-65.

Levi Luster had a game-high 23 points for the Eagles, who shot 43 percent from the floor.

picasso
3/21/2007, 12:34 AM
Oklahoma has a long history of doing well in the NAIA basketball tourney.

SteelClip49
3/21/2007, 12:40 AM
There have been recent talks about Oklahoma City U. going division 1 and it would definitely make sense for men's and women's hoops. They could join the MVC or Mid-Con conference.

OCU used to frequent the NCAA Tourney back in the day and had close runs at the national title.

King Crimson
3/21/2007, 03:30 AM
OCU Stars? man, i've been out of state a while now....but, i don't see how Chiefs could **** off anyone. like many people who post here, I'm part Cherokee and part Choctaw.....and i can be sympathetic in ways that "Indian" images and names are used that are negative stereotypes....but i don't see Chiefs being one of those. Tribes had Chiefs, it's a social fact.

in a constitutional western style democracy shouldn't we be bitching similarly about Sacramento or LA hockey being "the Kings".

down with the aristocracy!

King Crimson
3/21/2007, 03:32 AM
and props to OCU, they have a great (and often underappreciated) basketball tradition.

Harry Beanbag
3/21/2007, 06:22 AM
OCU Stars? man, i've been out of state a while now....but, i don't see how Chiefs could **** off anyone. like many people who post here, I'm part Cherokee and part Choctaw.....and i can be sympathetic in ways that "Indian" images and names are used that are negative stereotypes....but i don't see Chiefs being one of those. Tribes had Chiefs, it's a social fact.

in a constitutional western style democracy shouldn't we be bitching similarly about Sacramento or LA hockey being "the Kings".

down with the aristocracy!

Yeah, I was wondering when the name change happened as well? And Stars is ghey.

picasso
3/21/2007, 08:56 AM
makes 'em sound like sound like an AAU team. which they are, kinda I guess.

Paperclip
3/21/2007, 09:07 AM
There's a tower on the campus that you can see from a few miles away in each direction. At the top of that tower is a star, hence the name.

SteelClip49
3/21/2007, 11:33 AM
They could have been named the Gold Stars but that is just toooo elementary sounding. The Star is on top of the Law building and that place is huge. I would hate doing research there. Endless and endless and endless amounts of books.